LanguageLine Solutions

Updated February 25, 2015
2.4

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 72 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 24 reviews)

• no paid vacation, benefits are expensive (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company to work from home.

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

One does not have to spend any money on working clothes or commuting expenses.

Cons

The pay isn't as high as if one would work in person as an interpreter.

There's a huge need to update their Impact 360 Platform; it's too outdated...

Remote Interpreter, work from home.

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, no driving, dressing up.

Cons

Professional growth, raise in pay, lack of communication.

I would like to have some benefits of course.. especially paid vacation. More communication with the management and conference calls with other interpreters to share experience, knowledge and tips.

Good home advantage job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No cost for travel, everything is communicated virtually through internet or landline. Seems like a lot of people complaint about late response from management, but to me it was acceptable speed. Your landline installation fee, phone expense will be reimbursed.

Cons

Pay is fixed, $14. Sometimes when the day is slow, you get calls that are not related to medical problems. I don't know whether it was intentionally or just by random. Career path is limited. From medical interpreter position you can move to advanced interpreter, but that pay is $0.4/min or minimum state wage per hour.

Provide more training to interpreters. Don't send new interpreters on board with no basic medical training.

review

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

work at home, save time commuting and getting dress

Cons

no benefits, few calls on weekends just enough to match the average minimum wage

Interpreter

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work at home. Good way to start learning about interpreting.

Cons

Very low pay. This is good for anyone getting into the field for first time. Better companies out there that you dont need to be scheduled. No insurance worthwhile.

Pay more fairly You are making tons of money.

No raise

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work at home
    Learn new things about we interpret.
    Talk to interesting ppl

Cons

Migraines
    Ears get too sensitive so you start hearing things that couldn't hear before and it bothers your sleep
    Not enough money and no hope of raise

I asked my manager and senior language specialist what I can expect in the future and reply was there is no raise like other companies work even after many years. That killed my motivation.

An ok place ' Independant Contractor'

Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

-flexible hours
    -work from home
    -good flow of calls
    -decent staff

Cons

-the pay would have been good if we were still living in the 70s. Interpreters are the foundation of this company , appreciating them in the salaries will only make the company better.

To much resposibility for minimum wage

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Spanish Interperter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home. Chose your own schedule (initially).good stepping stone or additional part time job, not for permanent main job. No benefits. No one as a go to person to answer any concerns ( we realy on one another and our forum that is closely monitored)

Cons

Minimum pay. Been here almost 3 years absolutely no raise. Many many many calls. Any issues with system gets blamed on interpreter.Any absense/adjustment to shift you receive a bad mark. After a certain amount of those marks a year you could get fired.mo PTO, vac days just UTO. Work holidays. Only part of phone bill reimbursed. You pay bills, materials (alot of pens and paper usage). No holidays off. No room for advancement. Does not look like it will be better but much worst.

Pay what is fair. Mininum wage for people who are certified or have a degree like alot of us is a joke. This company makes tons, requires alot from its interpreters and provides us with the least of everything possible. Besides pay trainings,management everything is scarce!

Interpreting Sweat Shop?

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is possibly the quickest way to have a glimpse into many industries that provide customer service: banks, hospitals, mobile phone companies, internet service providers, utilities, government agencies, law enforcement, stock trading, even some tech companies. The idea that you never know what your next phone call entails is exciting and certainly adds allure to the job. I learned a lot about how to deal with phone/internet/electricity providers and bank/hospitals/police/Social Security just by listening in on the conversations and interpreting. It gave me, an novice interpreter who inspired to become a professional, a well-rounded exposure to terminology in many different fields. Being able to go to work without dressing up and driving through traffic is also a plus. I also came across a couple nice people who also provided good information on resources for interpreters.

Cons

This job does not really allow you to gain "good" interpreting skills - I have now obtained an advanced degree in interpretation and have been working in the field for a while. What (little) interpreting skills I obtained during my time at LLS have not served me very well. As a matter of fact, I developed some pretty bad interpreting habits that took a while to break. The reason? First of all, the training they provided was PAINFULLY INADEQUATE. They were more concerned about perpetrating company policies rather than training inexperienced people to become adequate for the job. Secondly, BAD INTERPRETATION seemed quite acceptable - on my first day of work, my supervisor and I listened in on other interpreters, and even though I had never worked as an interpreter before that day, common sense told me the quality of interpreting generally ranged from acceptable to absolutely horrendous. Don't get me wrong - there are a few great interpreters that I came across, but they were definitely a rarity. Lastly, the interpreters were WORKED LIKE SLAVES, that at after working nonstop under a huge amount of stress for so long, even if they tried to provide good quality work, I doubt their now deep-fried brains and exhausted bodies could allow them to function normally. They also blatantly DISREGARDED the fact that we were human beings - illnesses were inexcusable, emergencies were inexcusable, taking time off was nearly impossible. A fellow interpreter, who consistently performed above and beyond, developed a life-threatening condition and requested to have his hours reduced in order to make it to his appointments and whatnot - in response, HR increased his hours. The excitement of the job wore off quickly for me. I felt that I was chained to my phone, not allowed to take a bathroom break for hours, while BEING PAID LESS THAN ONE QUARTER (or in some cases, even one tenth!) of market rates - rates that interpreters out there actually make!

Hire people who actually meet basic requirements of the job - and pay them accordingly!

Highly stressful but low pay

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They can be very flexible with your schedule. You can make your own schedule and they normally approve it very easily.

Cons

The pay too low compares to the stress that you have to deal with. Only 30 cent per minute but your brain has to work extensively.

Please response to your subordinates. I sent so many email to my manager while I were working there but I never received any response from her. It was very dissapointed

LanguageLine Solutions Photos