LanguageLine Solutions

Updated September 12, 2014
2.2

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 62 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits either or anything to show appreciation (in 24 reviews)

• Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

I receive an job offer but I did not take it!

Former Employee - Telephone Interpreter  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Telephone Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a good trainning program for interpreters!

Cons

I would not reccomend a experience interpreter to work for this company, the salary is very low! It is a shame!

More respect for interpreters!

Worst job I ever had

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home is the only pro, but lack of compensation and daily mental abuse by clients and company staff soon outweighs it

Cons

No flexibility in schedule, no sick time off, compensation below industry standards, treated like crap most of the time, staff and managers unprofessional, health insurance is a joke, stay away from this company, good to work only as a resume filler

Management needs no advice, they treat interpreters no better than cattle at the slaughterhouse, that's why turnover rate is 90 percent, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY
    The pay is minmum wage vs how long you stay on the call, what they don't tell you is most calls are 10 min or less so you'll be earning minimum wage

At the begining it was good, then it became hell on heart sometime literally.

Former Employee - All Call Interpreter  in  Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Former Employee - All Call Interpreter in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Other than the salary for Domincan Republic Standards, there are no pros and taking into consideration the fact that the charge the clients by the minute and pay you by the hour, the pay for the job you are doing is abysmal.
    I will say they do have an excellent health insurance program at least when I was there, much better than what US work at home interpreters get and that is only because it is law.

Cons

I started working in LLS call center in DR in 2005 right out of college and at the beginning it was a great place to work, pay was good and the workload and enviorment was very good. I got training for 2 weeks before starting to work and I had to take a pass a test before I could take actual calls, the quality of the interpreters was very good, I actually went from CSI (customer service Interpreter) to CSI + to ALLCALL interpreter in less than six month. Then the hiring ethics change, it became all about quantity instead of quality and as many others had said the call volume is ridiculous, current calls get knock by incoming calls, you don't have enough time to take a breather or even get a glass of water in. It is very demanding very mentally exhausting job. The few Supervisors or Inchargers as they are call. that actually care about the Interpreters are fired.

You get no sick pay leave, no sick days, it is easier to win the lottery than to get an schedule change and unless so other willing coworker would swap days with you or would swap schedules with you are were royally screwed. The working conditions were subpar, call center hygiene was abysmal, and god forbid the AC should fail which happen often because you were suppose to work no matter what or get the risk fired. Sweatshop is exctaly what the company was, you had to work in Factory building with no AC, no windows, and no ventilation. One of my co workers actually had a heat stroke and the time she was granted by the doctor to be off was count as an occurence and she was fired a few months later.

Getting your well earn vacation days was subject to approval and you could never take time off for holidays, Gid forbid you were sick because unless you had vacation days to used for when you were sick, you could probably kiss you job goodbye if you miss more than a couple of days. Any time you were late, or miss a work day that counts as an occurrence more than six in a year and bye bye job, it doesn't matter it you send a medical certificate or not it still counts as you not being on the line.

Senior management has absolutely no idea what the job entails or what it feels like to be on the receiving end of the line. Clients were often rude, and had no idea what our job really entails, more often than not you could hear interpreters asking the clients to please slow down, or to limit the amount of information to interpret, and those are the clients that more often that not report you. LLS always side with the client and shows complete disregard of what they call VOI or Voice of the interpreter which were our complains as problems found with clients, service, lines and equipments.

There are many, many more issues but frankly it would take a book to go through all of them.

Treat your interpreter as humans, go back to quality interpretation instead of quantity, provide better training for intepreters, and provide seminar to instruct your clients into what our job actually entails. Have a very compensation program for interpreter and provide bonus and incentives for those who people that show skill, dedication and quality in their work. Have better quality control checks and only have people train in medical calls to take those calls, remember must of these calls relay on the interpret skill to save a life. Don't punish an interpreter for recusing himself of a call that he or she is not qualify or or been train to take, it made save someones life. Provide training to your management team and other senior staff members to understand the kind of stress interpreting is and to be understanding of their needs, remember we are the driving froce behind your company treat us better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WAH customer Service for 16 yrs

Current Employee - Work At Home Spanishh Interprelor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Work At Home Spanishh Interprelor in Houston, TX

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good step ladder in the industry

Cons

Pay, time off, no sick time off, slavers, no communication among supervisors,team leaders. You ask for the day or hours off and allways a NO.

Fired and rehired a new administration that know what are they doing...you have a lot of sargents

no raise. dead end job

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you do not have to care about physical appearance or weather conditions to go to work

Cons

very little pay, no salary raise, terrible benefits, no hope of getting promoted whatsoever, mentally exhausting and demanding

try to appreciate and give your employees what they really deserve, it is really ridiculous not to offer any raise in wages for at least last five years. price of living does not stay the same, how come you ecpect your employees to survive with the same amount of money they've been making for long time. be fair please!

good and bad

Current Employee - Interpreter and Senion Lang Specialist
    Current Employee - Interpreter and Senion Lang Specialist

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It was nice to have "a job" or be amployed while having babies

Cons

Low pay, no opportunity to advance, no interaction , when the company changed CEO years ago the company lost its culture. Back when Chris Ensign was CEO, you felt PRIDE working for these guys. After that, humm. Like they wanted you to became a number. No thanks. Ah! And the pay ....was low, frozen....Better to contract, and they only do that if they have a growth spurt.No culture.

Get new management that CARES

Good Experience to Start But No Place To Stay

Current Employee - WAH Interpreter
    Current Employee - WAH Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from Home opportunity
    Ability to Set Schedule (only at the begining)
    Payment for hours work like clockwork

Cons

Low Pay
    No Benefits
    Unpredictible Schedule
    Non Responsive Management/Supervisors

This is a good opportunity for someone that wants to start in the Interpreter Industry but that is it. The expectations of management for employment performace is in no way reflective of the pay given to employees. The feedback provided by supervisors is ambigous sometimes. You have a Manager that rarelly will interact with you since they have layers of other Senior Reps that should be able to answer you questions. Whenever you take time off, even previously approved, it shows up as being absent. I have not been able to get an answer if that would eventually impact the performace of an employee. Most of the time you will not know what your schedule for the next 2 weeks would be until the week before. So planning for future events becomes a hazardous process. You are exposed to a variety of situations that will allow you to expand your knowledge. But on the other hand, the company expects employees to have high stardards and dedicate time on their own to improve their skills without getting the compensation that high quality work deserves. Work for LLS at your own risk. Also make sure that if you accept an offer that you give them whatever days you would like off for the next year to ensure that you do get them off. Also you must keep track of the training time to ensure that you are paid for the time spent.

Micromanagement Hell!

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You can work in your pj's and you don't have to spend gas money or time commuting. That's about it!

Cons

You will earn minimum wage, won't have holidays off and there are no paid sick days either. Vacation time is also unpaid (and yet it is restricted to 2 weeks a year and subject to their approval), and just as described by many other employees, you can count on your managers being disrespectful. Basically, they will give you only what they are forced to give you by state law, and nothing else.

Chances are you will not have an opportunity to move up, either. You will never be informed when a position opens, and you can only start receiving benefits at the management level. In other words, you will do all the work for minimum wage, and those who sit in an office listening to you and critiquing your calls will get the benefits you're not entitled to.

When you're talking to us, remember we are professionals too, not your servants. Be polite.

And as many others have said, we are the force that keeps your engine running. It does not make sense that the ones doing the hardest work won't get the same benefits as those sitting at an office 'supervising'.

Horrible job injury from the Internet phone they provided, company irresponsible, still suffering with pain, cannot work

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from home. Some calls are interesting and challenging.

Cons

Low pay, no respect, very irresponsible company. The company installed a new Internet phone system as a pilot program in 2006, tested on real people, and people complained about ear pain, and they did not let us stop using the system until I sustained severe ear nerve damage. Workers' Comp was a joke, not enough compensation ($50/month). My medical bills are over $500/month (total over $70,000 in 6 years), and no sympathy from the management, they did not take the responsibility. LLS eventually fired me, and I am still suffering from pain, and unable to work. I want my life back!

You need to treat the interpreter nicer, and give them what they deserve. You need to take responsibility when your new phone system causes damage to a person. You have no idea how much pain I went through from the injury caused by the RDI system. You know the system caused my injury because you stop using the system right after my injury. It changed my life, and my family and I are still suffering from it. I cannot believe that I wasted 10 years of my life for a company like this. Your company takes advantage of many innocent people.

Excellent to gain live overview knowledge of different industries across the US.

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Davie, FL

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work at home schedule is good, Very professional environment and so much satisfaction as one helps the client to convey ideas with the customers. Phone training, once per month.

Cons

Very sedentary, your office becomes home! Lack of exercise as you stay home to many hours. No 401 K, good health insurance, low salary. Lack of interaction with colleagues and management to learn how to improve work as one is doing the work. Lack from the company to train for certification in the Medical or Legal interpreter; at Language Line University or other Nation wide Universities.

Please check employees abilities to perform other positions within the company or let them know of new openings. Stop the dual company strategy and implement management sense over interpreters that pretend to be business administrator's. Administrators lead and interpreters audit quality.

LanguageLine Solutions Photos

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!