LanguageLine Solutions

Updated September 15, 2014
2.2

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 62 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits either or anything to show appreciation (in 24 reviews)

• Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

A horrible company...don't work for them!

Former Employee - All Call Spanish Interpreter  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - All Call Spanish Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can work at home. That's about it.

Cons

Everything. Terrible pay, horrible benefits, if any. Intentionally sabotage employees, as an employee they make you feel completely undervalued and unappreciated. I came to work for this company when my old company was purchased by this one. The company I worked for previously paid me much more money and had a much more professional interpreter protocol. As soon as they became my employer, they lowered my pay little by little as their own employees were only paid minimum wage. They also would monitor interpreter calls, which is not uncommon in the Telephonic Interpretation industry, and is usually helpful in that it gives the interpreter positive feedback and also helps focus attention on areas that need improvement. But THEY did it in such a way to try and literally sabotage me in order to find a reason to fire me, as for whatever contactual reason I made more money than what they normally paid their interpreters and I was eventually let go for extremely minor mistakes. I now work for another telephonic interpretation company that is much more professional and I relish the fact that we have recovered many of our previous clients from Language Line. But Language Line is still making life difficult for competing companies in the state of California as they would like to monopolize the industry. I have nothing but utter disdain for this company and strongly discourage anyone from working there unless they are desperate for a job.

Wow, where do I begin? I don't really think any advice would help. I don't think they care about their employees at all and are not interested in recruiting or compensating highly skilled/trained, quality Interpreters. Just interested in finding cheap labor.

no appreciation

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Working from home which cuts down commuting time and expense
    - Work/Life balance is good since schedule is set
    - Little or no supervision
    - Reimbursement on phone line

Cons

- No vacation, no holidays (preference is submitted and you don't know if you are off on selected holiday until the schedule is issued), no sick days, only unpaid time off
    - With the unpaid time off, you can't really get the days you need off because only certain hours can be taken off from interpreters and you don't know if allowed time off hours are included into you shift. If those hours are not in your working shift, you can't use your unpaid time off, which will result you to submit a ticket to get a day off with unexcused absence.
    - Temporary schedule change is possible, but it is almost impossible to change it due to "business needs"
    - Call after call, after call, after call.
    - Insurance benefit is given but very expensive, very limited coverage (useless)
    - Low pay, you can't live with the wage they pay. There is no room to increase your wage, no bonus.
    - No room to grow your career. HR has mentioned that there are reimbursement for interpretation certifications , but only to find out that such program has discontinued a long time ago
    - At your anniversary, you are given a hand signed letter from CEO. (If it was meant to be encouragement, the corporate has it completely wrong. It only made me feel as if the corporate is making fun of me - "OO! we don't even pay you all that much but we will give you a letter that our CEO kindly hand signed!! how exciting!!!")
    - No office supply given. Interpreters are required to take notes and write down all the phone calls received. It may not be a big amount, but interpreters are responsible for that cost.
    - Limited english speakers not only lack the linguistic ability, also they lack a lot of basic knowledge. Later on, language barrier isn't the only problem, rather the fundamental issue is that limited english speakers don't even understand when you interpret for them.
    - Angry limited english speakers will try to tell you (interpreter) about all their problems and try to say bad things about the client (English speaker) as if they want you to be on their side to defend them. At the end of the day, you don't feel like you are an interpreter.
    - No human contact. You are alone for the whole time you are working. You don't even know who are your fellow interpreters. A lot of times you need your colleagues to talk it all out and encourage each other, but you don't get a chance to meet or talk to others.
    - Lack of consistency in programs - some newsletter was supposedly sent every month, but that disappeared. E-mail accounts are given but is not used all that much. Inefficient training is given here and there.
    - Intranet will crash all the time when intranet is pretty much only source of communication with this company.

This company would be nothing without interpreters. However, appreciation to interpreters are so little to non-existent. Please look after your interpreters, appreciate them, and at least try to care for their needs so that interpreters can be motivated to work for LanguageLine Solutions. Interpreters are absolutely crucial to this company.

This company provides a necessary service in a very professional manner

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

offers work from home option

Cons

very hard to get a change of schedule

provide incentives for long time employees as well as raises

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prompt response time.

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Houston, TX

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent training. Good response time.

Cons

Getting stuck on calls. Assisting with the community.

Be more flexible with time schedule for part time employees.

Worst Employer I've Had

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

People will pretend to be nice to get knowledge out of you

Cons

Then dispose of you like leftovers
    Pay you very little
    Only promotes the buddies and brown-nosers
    Poor leadership
    Poor management
    Overpriced service but the people who do the work don't get their share

If it's possible to replace management, then it may get better. Try and care about the people you employ and not just people friendly with you. Not everyone is a talented brown-noser. Judge based on talent and skills and contributions and don't take someone's credit and give it to your own friends and pretend they did the work or came up with the ideas.

Breaching Confidentiality law in US by Exposing Interpreters to private Patient's phone numbers. Slave Driving and Cold!

Current Employee - Interpreter  in  Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working from home and drive family members crazy with your calls.

Cons

The list is endless. Poor pay, Bad management, Unreachable, No benefits, Hard work and no support in any means!

Please try to at least pay people a bit more so they do not leave like a revolving door. Care about the living block of your existence meaning the interpreters. Many of us are respectful and highly educated people. The system does not work and find out what is going on?

Not a dream job....

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter  in  Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Don't have to spend money on commute because it's a work at home job. It's a good job if you are retired, disabled or stay at home mother/father.

Cons

You get no choice of shift, very low pay (even though the company over-charges their clients), no benefits, because you work from home you feel isolated, little chance of advancement within the company, no increase in salary. They are so quick to tell you what you are doing wrong but when you request something from them, they dismiss you like you don't mean anything to their company. And they give you a quarterly "bonus" based on your performance. I would have considered this a pro, but the bonus you get is something to laugh at.

Pay more to your interpreters. You can't survive on this salary alone.

Good learning experience vs. get ready to get exhausted

Current Employee - Spanish Medical Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Medical Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working from home, very little supervision. 41K with a 100 match for up to 3% . Phone line and telephone equipment reimbursement.
    I cannot describe the amazing learning oportunity that LLS offers (not because of the training that you will receive). Training is very basic, the learning starts with hands on, they will throw you out to the wolves and it will be up to you to keep up and learn. The variety of industries that LLS serves is so huge that you won't only become a good interpreter and improve your listening skills and language skills but you will learn so much about other industries that it will become an advantage for you as customer when you go to bank, apply for a loan, go to the doctor, go to court, deal with an insurance adjuster, deal with the IRS, SS office and the list goes on and on.
    Becoming a Medical interpreter gives you more satisfaction than the regular customer service interpreter job.

Cons

Pay is not good for the amount of work. Recognition is non-existent.
    No vacations, just 80 hours of unpaid time off per year.
    Health insurance cost is sky high

Salaries need to improve.

Now LLs is after Pacific interpreters

Current Employee - Interpreter  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Boston, MA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

there is nothing good to tell about this company

Cons

Language Line Solutions has been buying out smaller companies (e.g. Pacific Interpreters) and forcing their interpreters to be so-called "employees" with virtually no benefits (no paid vacations, no holidays, no sick days, crappy cheap health insurance). The interpreters' compensation changed from potentially $30-42/hr to $12-$14 per hour. Most of the quality and highly-qualified interpreters are leaving this greedy and cold company. If you're thinking of getting interpreter services for your hospital, clinics or business, stay away from Language Line Solutions. Don't expect you will get good quality interpreting services from LLS since they don't care about the interpreters. Interpreters are being used like factory workers or robots.

Stop abusing your interpreters.

I agree with other interpreters on their negative reviews on LLS

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work at home, not having to deal with commute.

Cons

Other than the pros listed above, there is no other good thing to say about the company. Crappy pay and even reduce your rate. I had been working for a company called Tele-Interpreters, and later purchased by LLS. I was paid at a rate of 50 cents a minutes (which was low but I can accepted it). Been working for them for about 3 years and then when LLS purchased them, they had to reduce my rate from 50 cents to 35 cents/minutes. The reason (or excuse) they told us for the reduced rate was economic hardship. COME ON LLS, you guys have been ripped the government and private agencies off by charging them $3 to $4 and even $5 a minute. YOU can't even afford to pay your employee 50 cents or that???

So I quit my job and working for Pacific Interpreter and get 60 cents a minute now. However, last December, again, LLS purchased Pacific. Now they are thinking to merge both interpreters into one by paying us AGAIN CRAPPY rate of $14/hour which if you divide 14 by 60, it would be 23.33 cents a minutes. 23 cents COMMON LLS how much respect did you give to your interpreters??? You are depend on us to make you rich and you can't even afford to pay us more than 23 cents a minutes?????

My advice is if you are a new interpreter and need some experience, then work for them. However, let you tell you be ready to drink a lot water. Their $14/hour is hard working money. They expect you to take a load of calls non stop. Once you have experience, QUIT and look for something better. They expect you a lot from you and give you almost nothing.

My advice to the management team is YOU are depend on US. If you treat us as a crap then that is what you get. I don't know why anyone would like to work at such low rate, unless you have nothing better to do. To the agencies who is looking for interpreter services, go for something else. Reason, you are not going to get a happy interpreter because everyone is so exhausted by having to deal with this immoral company.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!