LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Reset

Good home advantage job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No cost for travel, everything is communicated virtually through internet or landline. Seems like a lot of people complaint about late response from management, but to me it was acceptable speed. Your landline installation fee, phone expense will be reimbursed.

Cons

Pay is fixed, $14. Sometimes when the day is slow, you get calls that are not related to medical problems. I don't know whether it was intentionally or just by random. Career path is limited. From medical interpreter position you can move to advanced interpreter, but that pay is $0.4/min or minimum state wage per hour.

Advice to Management

Provide more training to interpreters. Don't send new interpreters on board with no basic medical training.

2. Remote Interpreter, work from home.

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, no driving, dressing up.

Cons

Professional growth, raise in pay, lack of communication.

Advice to Management

I would like to have some benefits of course.. especially paid vacation. More communication with the management and conference calls with other interpreters to share experience, knowledge and tips.

3. review

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

work at home, save time commuting and getting dress

Cons

no benefits, few calls on weekends just enough to match the average minimum wage

Interpreter

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work at home. Good way to start learning about interpreting.

Cons

Very low pay. This is good for anyone getting into the field for first time. Better companies out there that you dont need to be scheduled. No insurance worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Pay more fairly You are making tons of money.

No raise

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work at home
    Learn new things about we interpret.
    Talk to interesting ppl

Cons

Migraines
    Ears get too sensitive so you start hearing things that couldn't hear before and it bothers your sleep
    Not enough money and no hope of raise

Advice to Management

I asked my manager and senior language specialist what I can expect in the future and reply was there is no raise like other companies work even after many years. That killed my motivation.

Get away as fast as you can

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Abble to work from home

Cons

They do not value employees. No salary raise, no matter what you do. No management.

Advice to Management

None. It doesn't work

An ok place ' Independant Contractor'

Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

-flexible hours
    -work from home
    -good flow of calls
    -decent staff

Cons

-the pay would have been good if we were still living in the 70s. Interpreters are the foundation of this company , appreciating them in the salaries will only make the company better.

Interpreting Sweat Shop?

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is possibly the quickest way to have a glimpse into many industries that provide customer service: banks, hospitals, mobile phone companies, internet service providers, utilities, government agencies, law enforcement, stock trading, even some tech companies. The idea that you never know what your next phone call entails is exciting and certainly adds allure to the job. I learned a lot about how to deal with phone/internet/electricity providers and bank/hospitals/police/Social Security just by listening in on the conversations and interpreting. It gave me, an novice interpreter who inspired to become a professional, a well-rounded exposure to terminology in many different fields. Being able to go to work without dressing up and driving through traffic is also a plus. I also came across a couple nice people who also provided good information on resources for interpreters.

Cons

This job does not really allow you to gain "good" interpreting skills - I have now obtained an advanced degree in interpretation and have been working in the field for a while. What (little) interpreting skills I obtained during my time at LLS have not served me very well. As a matter of fact, I developed some pretty bad interpreting habits that took a while to break. The reason? First of all, the training they provided was PAINFULLY INADEQUATE. They were more concerned about perpetrating company policies rather than training inexperienced people to become adequate for the job. Secondly, BAD INTERPRETATION seemed quite acceptable - on my first day of work, my supervisor and I listened in on other interpreters, and even though I had never worked as an interpreter before that day, common sense told me the quality of interpreting generally ranged from acceptable to absolutely horrendous. Don't get me wrong - there are a few great interpreters that I came across, but they were definitely a rarity. Lastly, the interpreters were WORKED LIKE SLAVES, that at after working nonstop under a huge amount of stress for so long, even if they tried to provide good quality work, I doubt their now deep-fried brains and exhausted bodies could allow them to function normally. They also blatantly DISREGARDED the fact that we were human beings - illnesses were inexcusable, emergencies were inexcusable, taking time off was nearly impossible. A fellow interpreter, who consistently performed above and beyond, developed a life-threatening condition and requested to have his hours reduced in order to make it to his appointments and whatnot - in response, HR increased his hours. The excitement of the job wore off quickly for me. I felt that I was chained to my phone, not allowed to take a bathroom break for hours, while BEING PAID LESS THAN ONE QUARTER (or in some cases, even one tenth!) of market rates - rates that interpreters out there actually make!

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually meet basic requirements of the job - and pay them accordingly!

Not a very good work environment even though you work at home!

Former Employee - Interpreter
    Former Employee - Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

can work pt with a full-time job/schooling schedule

Cons

Compensation and schedule change requests are never adequately processed

Old school, manage by fear environment

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

It is a job and that's it.

Cons

Chaotic environment managed - not lead - by insecure people who don't know and don't care about the company, its people or its clients. Executives who run their departments by identifying, stirring up and then using their employees' weaknesses against them. They take care of each other though and everyone knows it. So who can employees go to for help? No one. Walk the hallways and you can feel the stress. People running around afraid to make mistakes and looking over their shoulder.

Advice to Management

Executive team: stop trying to keep your people small so you can feel in control. That is no way to run this place. Being mean is nothing to be proud of and everyone is talking about it.

RSS Feed </> Embed