LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Reset

Not a dream job....

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Don't have to spend money on commute because it's a work at home job. It's a good job if you are retired, disabled or stay at home mother/father.

Cons

You get no choice of shift, very low pay (even though the company over-charges their clients), no benefits, because you work from home you feel isolated, little chance of advancement within the company, no increase in salary. They are so quick to tell you what you are doing wrong but when you request something from them, they dismiss you like you don't mean anything to their company. And they give you a quarterly "bonus" based on your performance. I would have considered this a pro, but the bonus you get is something to laugh at.

Advice to Management

Pay more to your interpreters. You can't survive on this salary alone.

Now LLs is after Pacific interpreters

Current Employee - Interpreter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Boston, MA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there is nothing good to tell about this company

Cons

Language Line Solutions has been buying out smaller companies (e.g. Pacific Interpreters) and forcing their interpreters to be so-called "employees" with virtually no benefits (no paid vacations, no holidays, no sick days, crappy cheap health insurance). The interpreters' compensation changed from potentially $30-42/hr to $12-$14 per hour. Most of the quality and highly-qualified interpreters are leaving this greedy and cold company. If you're thinking of getting interpreter services for your hospital, clinics or business, stay away from Language Line Solutions. Don't expect you will get good quality interpreting services from LLS since they don't care about the interpreters. Interpreters are being used like factory workers or robots.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing your interpreters.

I agree with other interpreters on their negative reviews on LLS

Former Employee - Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home, not having to deal with commute.

Cons

Other than the pros listed above, there is no other good thing to say about the company. Crappy pay and even reduce your rate. I had been working for a company called Tele-Interpreters, and later purchased by LLS. I was paid at a rate of 50 cents a minutes (which was low but I can accepted it). Been working for them for about 3 years and then when LLS purchased them, they had to reduce my rate from 50 cents to 35 cents/minutes. The reason (or excuse) they told us for the reduced rate was economic hardship. COME ON LLS, you guys have been ripped the government and private agencies off by charging them $3 to $4 and even $5 a minute. YOU can't even afford to pay your employee 50 cents or that???

So I quit my job and working for Pacific Interpreter and get 60 cents a minute now. However, last December, again, LLS purchased Pacific. Now they are thinking to merge both interpreters into one by paying us AGAIN CRAPPY rate of $14/hour which if you divide 14 by 60, it would be 23.33 cents a minutes. 23 cents COMMON LLS how much respect did you give to your interpreters??? You are depend on us to make you rich and you can't even afford to pay us more than 23 cents a minutes?????

My advice is if you are a new interpreter and need some experience, then work for them. However, let you tell you be ready to drink a lot water. Their $14/hour is hard working money. They expect you to take a load of calls non stop. Once you have experience, QUIT and look for something better. They expect you a lot from you and give you almost nothing.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management team is YOU are depend on US. If you treat us as a crap then that is what you get. I don't know why anyone would like to work at such low rate, unless you have nothing better to do. To the agencies who is looking for interpreter services, go for something else. Reason, you are not going to get a happy interpreter because everyone is so exhausted by having to deal with this immoral company.

Greedy company that pays interpreters very low

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time

Pros

Works from the comfort of home.

Cons

They charge 2.5-3.9 USD per minute but only pay interpreters less than a quarter per minute. They're buying out smaller companies like Pacific Interpreters and changing their interpreters to "employees" status, meaning being forced to work fixed hours, no paid vacation, no sick days, $12-14/hour, and crappy useless health insurance. It's better to wait table than working for them. Many highly qualified interpreters are leaving due to LLS's abuse and greediness. Please don't use LLS for your language needs, people who have no choice would stay and they're not happy. Don't expect good quality of customer service/ interpretation from unhappy interpreters.

Advice to Management

Stop your greediness, don't use interpreters like a factory worker. Unhappy employees mean poor service.

Don't waste your time! Get a job at a regular company's call center for better pay and benefit!

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing! Don't waste your time or career! Get a job at a regular company's call center for better pay and benefit!

Cons

Pay, benefit, training staff. Only reason I tried this job was I'm bilingual and the word "Interpreter" sounded cool to me. Also, I own a newer Mercedes Benz and didn't want to add up mileage. What a big mistake! It's a ridiculous job! Rather, it's a ridiculous labor! You work as a conduit between the client and his or her limited English proficient customers. And many LEP people lack basic IQ, American common sense, and, most importantly,
    communication skill! So they will give you all kinds nightmares and unnecessary challenges!

Additionally, you have to do your job the Language Line Solutions' way no matter what! Interpreters shouldn't appear as if they are chatting with LEP people! That's just one of Language Line's many many stupid rules. What kind of person in right mind would think the interpreter is chatting with LEP people on the job??? So, for every move an interpreter should make, in order to understand LEP person better, he or she must inform Client first and get the permission. And that's going to drive you CRAZY! AND IT'S GOING TO CAUSE SEVERE DELAY AND THE CLIENT'S COMPANY WILL GET THE INFLATED BILL!

Also, since you're being sandwiched by two or more customers per call, you must have the "Slave's Mind" or "Low Self-esteem" to survive in this job. I feel sorry for those who have been working for this company pretty long, and I especially feel sorry for senior language specialists. I'm sure they all have low self-esteem. With their skills and qualifications, they can work for Airlines [ Travel Benefits!!! ], hospitals, Nordstrom, Costco, etc. for much better pay and benefits! What the heck were they thinking?

Interpretation is a hard work, and LLS better treat their interpreters much better than now! But unfortunately, when some stupid or crazy clients complain about you, this company takes their words while your words don't mean anything! By the way, I have a lot more to say about this stupid company and this stupid "work from home" interpreter job as well as "SUSPICIOUS" EXPERIENCES I've had while working as "work from home" interpreter for the last several months. As soon as the company and I part, I'll reveal them in detail! Glassdoor says I can edit my review within 30 days, and I'm expecting that will happen within that time frame.

Advice to Management

You guys just wait~ You guys will be contacted~

CSR Interpreter

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Spanish WAH Interpreter
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Spanish WAH Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What kind of company forces it's salaried staff at the home office in Monterey, CA to go online and post phony positive reviews? Language Line! Hence the ridiculous posts where some people say they think they are paid "too much." Well that could ONLY be corporate staff because 99% of the staff makes minumum wage without benefits, vacation time, sick days, etc.

Cons

Being exploited, being unappreciated, being a part of a revolving door call center company that pimped out the interpretation industry, being part of the problem by accepting their horrible wages, being undervalued, having no hope of career advancement, having to put up with call center supervisors based, I mean supurvisors, who evaluate you when in fact they don't know what they are talking about....just to name a few.

Advice to Management

Yeah, we get it, LLS is the cash cow for a conglomerate of several companied. But pay a freaking living wage at least and spring for real benefits, paid time off, etc.

I receive an job offer but I did not take it!

Former Employee - Telephone Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Telephone Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a good trainning program for interpreters!

Cons

I would not reccomend a experience interpreter to work for this company, the salary is very low! It is a shame!

Advice to Management

More respect for interpreters!

Worst job I ever had

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home is the only pro, but lack of compensation and daily mental abuse by clients and company staff soon outweighs it

Cons

No flexibility in schedule, no sick time off, compensation below industry standards, treated like crap most of the time, staff and managers unprofessional, health insurance is a joke, stay away from this company, good to work only as a resume filler

Advice to Management

Management needs no advice, they treat interpreters no better than cattle at the slaughterhouse, that's why turnover rate is 90 percent, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY
    The pay is minmum wage vs how long you stay on the call, what they don't tell you is most calls are 10 min or less so you'll be earning minimum wage

At the begining it was good, then it became hell on heart sometime literally.

Former Employee - All Call Interpreter in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Former Employee - All Call Interpreter in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other than the salary for Domincan Republic Standards, there are no pros and taking into consideration the fact that the charge the clients by the minute and pay you by the hour, the pay for the job you are doing is abysmal.
    I will say they do have an excellent health insurance program at least when I was there, much better than what US work at home interpreters get and that is only because it is law.

Cons

I started working in LLS call center in DR in 2005 right out of college and at the beginning it was a great place to work, pay was good and the workload and enviorment was very good. I got training for 2 weeks before starting to work and I had to take a pass a test before I could take actual calls, the quality of the interpreters was very good, I actually went from CSI (customer service Interpreter) to CSI + to ALLCALL interpreter in less than six month. Then the hiring ethics change, it became all about quantity instead of quality and as many others had said the call volume is ridiculous, current calls get knock by incoming calls, you don't have enough time to take a breather or even get a glass of water in. It is very demanding very mentally exhausting job. The few Supervisors or Inchargers as they are call. that actually care about the Interpreters are fired.

You get no sick pay leave, no sick days, it is easier to win the lottery than to get an schedule change and unless so other willing coworker would swap days with you or would swap schedules with you are were royally screwed. The working conditions were subpar, call center hygiene was abysmal, and god forbid the AC should fail which happen often because you were suppose to work no matter what or get the risk fired. Sweatshop is exctaly what the company was, you had to work in Factory building with no AC, no windows, and no ventilation. One of my co workers actually had a heat stroke and the time she was granted by the doctor to be off was count as an occurence and she was fired a few months later.

Getting your well earn vacation days was subject to approval and you could never take time off for holidays, Gid forbid you were sick because unless you had vacation days to used for when you were sick, you could probably kiss you job goodbye if you miss more than a couple of days. Any time you were late, or miss a work day that counts as an occurrence more than six in a year and bye bye job, it doesn't matter it you send a medical certificate or not it still counts as you not being on the line.

Senior management has absolutely no idea what the job entails or what it feels like to be on the receiving end of the line. Clients were often rude, and had no idea what our job really entails, more often than not you could hear interpreters asking the clients to please slow down, or to limit the amount of information to interpret, and those are the clients that more often that not report you. LLS always side with the client and shows complete disregard of what they call VOI or Voice of the interpreter which were our complains as problems found with clients, service, lines and equipments.

There are many, many more issues but frankly it would take a book to go through all of them.

Advice to Management

Treat your interpreter as humans, go back to quality interpretation instead of quantity, provide better training for intepreters, and provide seminar to instruct your clients into what our job actually entails. Have a very compensation program for interpreter and provide bonus and incentives for those who people that show skill, dedication and quality in their work. Have better quality control checks and only have people train in medical calls to take those calls, remember must of these calls relay on the interpret skill to save a life. Don't punish an interpreter for recusing himself of a call that he or she is not qualify or or been train to take, it made save someones life. Provide training to your management team and other senior staff members to understand the kind of stress interpreting is and to be understanding of their needs, remember we are the driving froce behind your company treat us better.

WAH customer Service for 16 yrs

Current Employee - Work At Home Spanishh Interprelor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Work At Home Spanishh Interprelor in Houston, TX

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good step ladder in the industry

Cons

Pay, time off, no sick time off, slavers, no communication among supervisors,team leaders. You ask for the day or hours off and allways a NO.

Advice to Management

Fired and rehired a new administration that know what are they doing...you have a lot of sargents

RSS Feed </> Embed