LanguageLine Solutions

Updated December 9, 2014
2.4

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 72 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 24 reviews)

• no paid vacation, benefits are expensive (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

good and bad

Current Employee - Interpreter and Senion Lang Specialist
    Current Employee - Interpreter and Senion Lang Specialist

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was nice to have "a job" or be amployed while having babies

Cons

Low pay, no opportunity to advance, no interaction , when the company changed CEO years ago the company lost its culture. Back when Chris Ensign was CEO, you felt PRIDE working for these guys. After that, humm. Like they wanted you to became a number. No thanks. Ah! And the pay ....was low, frozen....Better to contract, and they only do that if they have a growth spurt.No culture.

Get new management that CARES

Good Experience to Start But No Place To Stay

Current Employee - WAH Interpreter
    Current Employee - WAH Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from Home opportunity
    Ability to Set Schedule (only at the begining)
    Payment for hours work like clockwork

Cons

Low Pay
    No Benefits
    Unpredictible Schedule
    Non Responsive Management/Supervisors

This is a good opportunity for someone that wants to start in the Interpreter Industry but that is it. The expectations of management for employment performace is in no way reflective of the pay given to employees. The feedback provided by supervisors is ambigous sometimes. You have a Manager that rarelly will interact with you since they have layers of other Senior Reps that should be able to answer you questions. Whenever you take time off, even previously approved, it shows up as being absent. I have not been able to get an answer if that would eventually impact the performace of an employee. Most of the time you will not know what your schedule for the next 2 weeks would be until the week before. So planning for future events becomes a hazardous process. You are exposed to a variety of situations that will allow you to expand your knowledge. But on the other hand, the company expects employees to have high stardards and dedicate time on their own to improve their skills without getting the compensation that high quality work deserves. Work for LLS at your own risk. Also make sure that if you accept an offer that you give them whatever days you would like off for the next year to ensure that you do get them off. Also you must keep track of the training time to ensure that you are paid for the time spent.

Micromanagement Hell!

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You can work in your pj's and you don't have to spend gas money or time commuting. That's about it!

Cons

You will earn minimum wage, won't have holidays off and there are no paid sick days either. Vacation time is also unpaid (and yet it is restricted to 2 weeks a year and subject to their approval), and just as described by many other employees, you can count on your managers being disrespectful. Basically, they will give you only what they are forced to give you by state law, and nothing else.

Chances are you will not have an opportunity to move up, either. You will never be informed when a position opens, and you can only start receiving benefits at the management level. In other words, you will do all the work for minimum wage, and those who sit in an office listening to you and critiquing your calls will get the benefits you're not entitled to.

When you're talking to us, remember we are professionals too, not your servants. Be polite.

And as many others have said, we are the force that keeps your engine running. It does not make sense that the ones doing the hardest work won't get the same benefits as those sitting at an office 'supervising'.

Horrible job injury from the Internet phone they provided, company irresponsible, still suffering with pain, cannot work

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from home. Some calls are interesting and challenging.

Cons

Low pay, no respect, very irresponsible company. The company installed a new Internet phone system as a pilot program in 2006, tested on real people, and people complained about ear pain, and they did not let us stop using the system until I sustained severe ear nerve damage. Workers' Comp was a joke, not enough compensation ($50/month). My medical bills are over $500/month (total over $70,000 in 6 years), and no sympathy from the management, they did not take the responsibility. LLS eventually fired me, and I am still suffering from pain, and unable to work. I want my life back!

You need to treat the interpreter nicer, and give them what they deserve. You need to take responsibility when your new phone system causes damage to a person. You have no idea how much pain I went through from the injury caused by the RDI system. You know the system caused my injury because you stop using the system right after my injury. It changed my life, and my family and I are still suffering from it. I cannot believe that I wasted 10 years of my life for a company like this. Your company takes advantage of many innocent people.

Excellent to gain live overview knowledge of different industries across the US.

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Davie, FL

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work at home schedule is good, Very professional environment and so much satisfaction as one helps the client to convey ideas with the customers. Phone training, once per month.

Cons

Very sedentary, your office becomes home! Lack of exercise as you stay home to many hours. No 401 K, good health insurance, low salary. Lack of interaction with colleagues and management to learn how to improve work as one is doing the work. Lack from the company to train for certification in the Medical or Legal interpreter; at Language Line University or other Nation wide Universities.

Please check employees abilities to perform other positions within the company or let them know of new openings. Stop the dual company strategy and implement management sense over interpreters that pretend to be business administrator's. Administrators lead and interpreters audit quality.

Pay not good, no pay increase, Calls are intense and they come often and they survey you.

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from home that is it.

Cons

Med. Benefit is too expensive
    No pay increase
    Can't change work time based on you needs.
    Vacation is first come first serve.
    No appreciation for hard working employees

Increase pay for employees or at least provide good health insurance. Both if both of them are terrible how can you expect to keep good interpreters.One day it will come back to bite you

No self respecting, professional interpreter should work here

Current Employee - Spanish Customer Service Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Customer Service Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from the comfort of your home providing a much-needed, valuable service for people who cannot communicate in English

You will learn to develop your own style of customer service and will learn to deal with people from all walks of life

Great place for first-time interpreters to develop skills and knowledge but don't expect any formal training or help with skills building. You will learn on the job, ALONE. They do have material you can download from their forums, which can be useful

You are exposed to a wide range of industries and will learn about banking, finance, insurance, government agencies, 911, legal, medical, utilities, and many other industries

If you are an employee (not contractor) you get a steady paycheck and at least you are employed

Good fro a stop-gap in your resume

Cons

No benefits except for the new expensive 401K plan

Salary is very low, a joke compared to what other companies have to offer. They tell you that you can average $14 to $18 an hour but in reality, you are lucky to be making the minimum wage according to the state you live in or you make .25 cents a minute as a contractor. Other companies offer .40 to .60 cents a minute to their contractors

You get monitored on your calls, then get called on everything you did wrong, the QC team tends to be very critical of everything you do by calling it "feedback". You also get positive feedback and some advice as well, which is very helpful

No opportunity for professional growth, not much room for advancement, no real training except for what you get when hired and some material offered in their forums and whatever feedback is offered by QC

Communication with management is near non-existent. You have better luck speaking with the nice people in the IRC and get quicker, better answers from them that from the people who should be answering your questions

Trying to get time off is next to impossible. There are no paid days whatsoever, you get 80 unpaid days a year but try to request those off, good luck. If you take off so many sick days, you get 2 letters and a dismissal afterwords, Schedule changes are impossible unless you are meeting the company's staff and business needs, forget yours, they don't care

Please, what management?

worked under threat of getting laid off as I refused to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor.

Former Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from home, so no added expense of traveling back and forth to work.
    Work in the comfort of your PJs.

Cons

No respect for interpreters, as they speak in a very condescending way.
    They never communicate with you, only to complain about feedback from an irate customer.
    Their recruiter is infinitely rude, if she does not hear what she wants. She offered for me to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor ($30/hr to $11/hr), no paid vacation and no benefits, when I “politely” declined the offer her tone changed completely to rude and condescending with a hint of threat.
    They have a very limited understanding of the requirements of the different dialects and how some are not mutually intelligible even if they fall under the same language. There was no department to handle that, no matter how often I pointed out that their customers’ needs could be improved by paying attention to such cultural details.
    They have no regards for experience or education. It’s a company that is driven by greed. They charge their customers an arm and a leg for their services, and yet they refuse to adequately pay their employees. A Starbucks barista has a more comfortable situation with potential for growth and a higher pay rate with a mere GED.
    I would not recommend working at LLS.

The worst job ever! Do not even bother! Work somewhere else, you'll be much better off

Current Employee - At Home Interpreter
    Current Employee - At Home Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

-Work from home
    -No commute
    -No expenses in transportation, food or clothes
    -You can work from your bed if you feel like it.
    -You feel like you can help people that have a barrier communicating.
    -Easy to request temporary change of schedule (meaning if you want your schedule change for just one day)
    -At least you have a job!

Cons

-PAY: Terrible pay, guaranteed minimum wage or 0.25 per minute. So the highest possible earning is $15 per hour which it never happens. The average for Spanish Interpreter is 11 to 12 per hour. There are no increments on salary ever, no sick days, no paid vacations. You only get 80 hours a year for your vacation or time off, but they do not pay any vacation time. Also now if you are interpreter for Spanish working full time, you can't work overtime.
    -Occurrences: Every little time you need to take off for yourself, either because your are sick of having an emergency, counts as an occurrence, either if it is a whole day or just half an hour. If you have a certain amount of occurrences in one year, they send you a letter. The third letter is for dismissal.
    -Very difficult permanent change of schedule. Almost impossible. They will not grant it to the point that if you can't meet the schedule, then you'll be fired.
    -If your need is not in compliance with the company needs, then bad luck! So for example if you need to change your schedule to start working earlier because you need to do something later, and the company doesn't need you at that time, they will not grant you the change of schedule.
    -If you request vacation time and one of the days is not available but is in the middle of your vacation, and you explain that you'll be out of the country that day, they still will NOT grant you that day, and it will count as an occurrence. So, not only they don't pay you, but they punish you for not being one day back to work in the middle of your vacation.
    -No communication with other interpreters other than their controlled forums.
    -Any training or any kind of requirement for advancement is on your time, not company time. You will not get any better pay anyway.
    -Payroll is a mystery. Impossible to know how are the minutes calculated, specially the overtime minutes, and that is a mystery that nobody will tell you how is calculated.
    -If you request to speak with someone in Human Resources, you can't. All communication have to be through email.
    -Management... the best way to explain their attitude is with an image: They are the jews that worked for the Nazis in the concentration camps pushing the other jews to work harder for their piece of rotten bread. The management, when they respond to inquiries, which is NEVER on the same day, most likely will not side with you whatsoever. They don't care for the employee, they care for the clients and they will protect the clients over the employees anytime and always.
    -NO BENEFITS: you get an extremely limited insurance that will not cover you for anything. On the other hand with the pay you get, you pretty much qualify for financial assistance from any hospital if you can't pay the bill that the insurance doesn't pay. No 401k or any kind of retirement plan and of course NO PROFIT sharing whatsoever!
    -No incentives for better qualified people. No commendations, no recognition. No bonuses of any kind, and for December holidays, one postcard If you are lucky!

Treat your workers as if they were humans. The interpreters are the ones making the money for the company. They should get better pay, incentives, something that will inspire them to stay with the company because they like it, not because they have no other choice. As someone wrote somewhere else, Karma will take care of you all! You'll get what you deserve for the way you treat your workers.

Language Line Is Not Worth To Work For

Current Employee - All Call Interpreter
    Current Employee - All Call Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

This is a company that allows interpreters and others to work in their own home setting. This is the only "sweet" point that attracts people who want to work for additional income but can't afford to leave their home ( mothers with kids, nearly retired people, college students .....). This is a place people can learn the interpretation skills on phone.

Cons

Above are the only two reasons people should stick with LLS. Other than that people should work for this company for a short while to get experience and they should move on for the better.
    1. There are no hope for professional growth with LLS. The company only hires people in USA when it has no choice. It hires most people from Latin America for cheaper cost.
    2. I was "tricked' into "converting to All Call Interpreters with all the trainings(on my own time) . And was able to get more calls routing to me. But the way LLS lists the time and pay per minute on my pay stuffs is so vague and confused that I was never can figure out whether I get paid correctly or not. No one of the company can give me a straight answer.
    3. The pay rate per minute for Customer Service Interpreters is $.3 and $.33 for the All call Interpreters. But they charge clients for $3.95 a minute. Regardless, I still do not know for sure how much I get paid per minute, $.3 or $.33 . Anyhow not a big difference. I'm screwed.
    4. When it comes to asking to change your work schedule, they make it so difficult, even if you let them know months in advance . In my case, I gave them 3 month notice of my new work schedule. Still I got denied. Some tricks you can do is just quit and re-apply to get a new work schedule.
    5. If you want to take vacation: tough luck. You are on your own to look for a swap from your co-workers . LLS never promotes and practices work/life balancing.
    6. Management communication is vague and shallow and rare. For the number of years working for
    LLS , I got only 2 meetings with my manager. And those were on un-paid time.
    7. With low pay, yet LLS expects a lot from interpreters. If you encounter LLS phone system problems , you are expected to file VOI tickets (Voice Of Interpreters) on your own un-paid time.
    8. In theory, the pay rate is $18/hr ($.3x60minutes) but you never get that . But calls do not come in without some waiting in between . So the average pay is around 12/13 bucks an hour.
    9. Your vocal cord could be damaged if you keep talking in 2 hours continuously though.

There are more cons but I can stop here. You get my point.

LLS should pay interpreters higher rate and give pay raises to interpreters on a yearly basis. More communication from management and pay people the time they attend meetings and trainings. LLS should stop this low pay tactics in order to spare money to buy others smaller companies.

LanguageLine Solutions Photos