LanguageLine Solutions

Updated December 19, 2014
2.3

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 72 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 24 reviews)

• no paid vacation, benefits are expensive (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Reviewers are too critical and unreasonable

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

As my subject title indicates. But training pre-hiring is good.

Cons

Reviewers are way too difficult. It seems like they had to pick on something or else they are not doing their job.

Far less than ideal

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

I can't think of anything and I am behing 100% honest. Maybe a few nice people that share your pain.

Cons

Management is subjective, does not encourage development, and if you want to succeed, you should make friends with management. Your abilities mean very little. If you are looking for a career, this isn't the place. If you have worked in any other organizations, you would know that Language Line is below par in how employees are treated. Poor benefits, retirement, growth, or support.

Yeah, I tried . And you probably shouldn't since it won't turn out good.

Very low pay, no flexible scheduling, poor benefits

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You get to work from home

Cons

Very low pay, no flexible scheduling, poor benefits

Incompetent managers, uneducated staff, no company-wide communication

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dynamic, growing field. Decent benefits.

Cons

No culture of growth, no transparency by management, a company populated by small thinkers who don't work hard instead of working smart.

Cultivate talented, intelligent individuals, foster a culture of recognition for high performing employees

A horrible company...don't work for them!

Former Employee - All Call Spanish Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - All Call Spanish Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can work at home. That's about it.

Cons

Everything. Terrible pay, horrible benefits, if any. Intentionally sabotage employees, as an employee they make you feel completely undervalued and unappreciated. I came to work for this company when my old company was purchased by this one. The company I worked for previously paid me much more money and had a much more professional interpreter protocol. As soon as they became my employer, they lowered my pay little by little as their own employees were only paid minimum wage. They also would monitor interpreter calls, which is not uncommon in the Telephonic Interpretation industry, and is usually helpful in that it gives the interpreter positive feedback and also helps focus attention on areas that need improvement. But THEY did it in such a way to try and literally sabotage me in order to find a reason to fire me, as for whatever contactual reason I made more money than what they normally paid their interpreters and I was eventually let go for extremely minor mistakes. I now work for another telephonic interpretation company that is much more professional and I relish the fact that we have recovered many of our previous clients from Language Line. But Language Line is still making life difficult for competing companies in the state of California as they would like to monopolize the industry. I have nothing but utter disdain for this company and strongly discourage anyone from working there unless they are desperate for a job.

Wow, where do I begin? I don't really think any advice would help. I don't think they care about their employees at all and are not interested in recruiting or compensating highly skilled/trained, quality Interpreters. Just interested in finding cheap labor.

no appreciation

Former Employee - Interpreter
    Former Employee - Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Working from home which cuts down commuting time and expense
    - Work/Life balance is good since schedule is set
    - Little or no supervision
    - Reimbursement on phone line

Cons

- No vacation, no holidays (preference is submitted and you don't know if you are off on selected holiday until the schedule is issued), no sick days, only unpaid time off
    - With the unpaid time off, you can't really get the days you need off because only certain hours can be taken off from interpreters and you don't know if allowed time off hours are included into you shift. If those hours are not in your working shift, you can't use your unpaid time off, which will result you to submit a ticket to get a day off with unexcused absence.
    - Temporary schedule change is possible, but it is almost impossible to change it due to "business needs"
    - Call after call, after call, after call.
    - Insurance benefit is given but very expensive, very limited coverage (useless)
    - Low pay, you can't live with the wage they pay. There is no room to increase your wage, no bonus.
    - No room to grow your career. HR has mentioned that there are reimbursement for interpretation certifications , but only to find out that such program has discontinued a long time ago
    - At your anniversary, you are given a hand signed letter from CEO. (If it was meant to be encouragement, the corporate has it completely wrong. It only made me feel as if the corporate is making fun of me - "OO! we don't even pay you all that much but we will give you a letter that our CEO kindly hand signed!! how exciting!!!")
    - No office supply given. Interpreters are required to take notes and write down all the phone calls received. It may not be a big amount, but interpreters are responsible for that cost.
    - Limited english speakers not only lack the linguistic ability, also they lack a lot of basic knowledge. Later on, language barrier isn't the only problem, rather the fundamental issue is that limited english speakers don't even understand when you interpret for them.
    - Angry limited english speakers will try to tell you (interpreter) about all their problems and try to say bad things about the client (English speaker) as if they want you to be on their side to defend them. At the end of the day, you don't feel like you are an interpreter.
    - No human contact. You are alone for the whole time you are working. You don't even know who are your fellow interpreters. A lot of times you need your colleagues to talk it all out and encourage each other, but you don't get a chance to meet or talk to others.
    - Lack of consistency in programs - some newsletter was supposedly sent every month, but that disappeared. E-mail accounts are given but is not used all that much. Inefficient training is given here and there.
    - Intranet will crash all the time when intranet is pretty much only source of communication with this company.

This company would be nothing without interpreters. However, appreciation to interpreters are so little to non-existent. Please look after your interpreters, appreciate them, and at least try to care for their needs so that interpreters can be motivated to work for LanguageLine Solutions. Interpreters are absolutely crucial to this company.

This company provides a necessary service in a very professional manner

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

offers work from home option

Cons

very hard to get a change of schedule

provide incentives for long time employees as well as raises

Prompt response time.

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Houston, TX

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training. Good response time.

Cons

Getting stuck on calls. Assisting with the community.

Be more flexible with time schedule for part time employees.

Worst Employer I've Had

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

People will pretend to be nice to get knowledge out of you

Cons

Then dispose of you like leftovers
    Pay you very little
    Only promotes the buddies and brown-nosers
    Poor leadership
    Poor management
    Overpriced service but the people who do the work don't get their share

If it's possible to replace management, then it may get better. Try and care about the people you employ and not just people friendly with you. Not everyone is a talented brown-noser. Judge based on talent and skills and contributions and don't take someone's credit and give it to your own friends and pretend they did the work or came up with the ideas.

Breaching Confidentiality law in US by Exposing Interpreters to private Patient's phone numbers. Slave Driving and Cold!

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home and drive family members crazy with your calls.

Cons

The list is endless. Poor pay, Bad management, Unreachable, No benefits, Hard work and no support in any means!

Please try to at least pay people a bit more so they do not leave like a revolving door. Care about the living block of your existence meaning the interpreters. Many of us are respectful and highly educated people. The system does not work and find out what is going on?

LanguageLine Solutions Photos