LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Get away as fast as you can

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Abble to work from home

Cons

They do not value employees. No salary raise, no matter what you do. No management.

Advice to Management

None. It doesn't work

An ok place ' Independant Contractor'

Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

-flexible hours -work from home -good flow of calls -decent staff

Cons

-the pay would have been good if we were still living in the 70s. Interpreters are the foundation of this company , appreciating them in the salaries will only make the company better.

Interpreting Sweat Shop?

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is possibly the quickest way to have a glimpse into many industries that provide customer service: banks, hospitals, mobile phone companies, internet service providers, utilities, government agencies, law enforcement, stock trading, even some tech companies. The idea that you never know what your next phone call entails is exciting and certainly adds allure to the job. I learned a lot about how to deal with phone/internet/electricity providers and bank/hospitals/police/Social Security just by listening in on the conversations and interpreting. It gave me, an novice interpreter who inspired to become a professional, a well-rounded exposure to terminology in many different fields. Being able to go to work without dressing up and driving through traffic is also a plus. I also came across a couple nice people who also provided good information on resources for interpreters.

Cons

This job does not really allow you to gain "good" interpreting skills - I have now obtained an advanced degree in interpretation and have been working in the field for a while. What (little) interpreting skills I obtained during my time at LLS have not served me very well. As a matter of fact, I developed some pretty bad interpreting habits that took a while to break. The reason? First of all, the training they provided was PAINFULLY INADEQUATE. They were more concerned about perpetrating company policies rather than training inexperienced people to become adequate for the job. Secondly, BAD INTERPRETATION seemed quite acceptable - on my first day of work, my supervisor and I listened in on other interpreters, and even though I had never worked as an interpreter before that day, common sense told me the quality of interpreting generally ranged from acceptable to absolutely horrendous. Don't get me wrong - there are a few great interpreters that I came across, but they were definitely a rarity. Lastly, the interpreters were WORKED LIKE SLAVES, that at after working nonstop under a huge amount of stress for so long, even if they tried to provide good quality work, I doubt their now deep-fried brains and exhausted bodies could allow them to function normally. They also blatantly DISREGARDED the fact that we were human beings - illnesses were inexcusable, emergencies were inexcusable, taking time off was nearly impossible. A fellow interpreter, who consistently performed above and beyond, developed a life-threatening condition and requested to have his hours reduced in order to make it to his appointments and whatnot - in response, HR increased his hours. The excitement of the job wore off quickly for me. I felt that I was chained to my phone, not allowed to take a bathroom break for hours, while BEING PAID LESS THAN ONE QUARTER (or in some cases, even one tenth!) of market rates - rates that interpreters out there actually make!

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually meet basic requirements of the job - and pay them accordingly!

Not a very good work environment even though you work at home!

Former Employee - Interpreter
    Former Employee - Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

can work pt with a full-time job/schooling schedule

Cons

Compensation and schedule change requests are never adequately processed

Old school, manage by fear environment

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

It is a job and that's it.

Cons

Chaotic environment managed - not lead - by insecure people who don't know and don't care about the company, its people or its clients. Executives who run their departments by identifying, stirring up and then using their employees' weaknesses against them. They take care of each other though and everyone knows it. So who can employees go to for help? No one. Walk the hallways and you can feel the stress. People running around afraid to make mistakes and looking over their shoulder.

Advice to Management

Executive team: stop trying to keep your people small so you can feel in control. That is no way to run this place. Being mean is nothing to be proud of and everyone is talking about it.

Highly stressful but low pay

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They can be very flexible with your schedule. You can make your own schedule and they normally approve it very easily.

Cons

The pay too low compares to the stress that you have to deal with. Only 30 cent per minute but your brain has to work extensively.

Advice to Management

Please response to your subordinates. I sent so many email to my manager while I were working there but I never received any response from her. It was very dissapointed

Tricky and non-transparent payroll calculation

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Okay, It's a job that you can work from home.

Cons

They have their own ways of "calculations" and have provided a template explanation to all interpreters how they do their calculations if one is in doubt, which seemingly is transparent. Yet on their payroll they never mentioned how many minutes the interpreters worked, but rather how much the interpreters made in each of their fancy categories (aka Premium minutes, Guarantee minutes, Long call day, Long call night, etc) . If you try to convert those amounts into minutes, you almost could never figure out how they come up with that result. They offer Call History for interpreters to check the calls but one could only date back for a two-week record. The minutes notated in the Call History almost never coherent with their own payroll minutes (after conversion). After informally communicating with some interpreters, I came to notice many of them are just too laid back to check their records closely, and have ignored how much SHORTER in the payroll all the way. One should be surprised in how much less the company has paid the interpreters in a year by keeping a strict record.

Advice to Management

First thing first, please improve your way of listing the work minutes and amount on the payroll. We interpreter don't work for free for your company. It's either you deliberately trying to deceive the interpreters, or your system sucks! It's a highly stressful job already, and you are MISTREATING, DECEIVING and EXPLOITING your employees by taking advantage of their stresses.

9. Average

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You get to help people

Cons

Little growth potential for interpreters

Translate/interprt mandarin to English or vice versa

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Good management and assistance in one's application and training

Cons

Time difference could be an issue

11. Very friendly Staff

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

It is a good training experience

Cons

Time difference could be an issue

RSS Feed </> Embed