LanguageLine Solutions

www.languageline.com
Employer Engaged

worked under threat of getting laid off as I refused to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor.

Former Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from home, so no added expense of traveling back and forth to work.
    Work in the comfort of your PJs.

Cons

No respect for interpreters, as they speak in a very condescending way.
    They never communicate with you, only to complain about feedback from an irate customer.
    Their recruiter is infinitely rude, if she does not hear what she wants. She offered for me to become an employee for 1/3 of what I made as a contractor ($30/hr to $11/hr), no paid vacation and no benefits, when I “politely” declined the offer her tone changed completely to rude and condescending with a hint of threat.
    They have a very limited understanding of the requirements of the different dialects and how some are not mutually intelligible even if they fall under the same language. There was no department to handle that, no matter how often I pointed out that their customers’ needs could be improved by paying attention to such cultural details.
    They have no regards for experience or education. It’s a company that is driven by greed. They charge their customers an arm and a leg for their services, and yet they refuse to adequately pay their employees. A Starbucks barista has a more comfortable situation with potential for growth and a higher pay rate with a mere GED.
    I would not recommend working at LLS.

The worst job ever! Do not even bother! Work somewhere else, you'll be much better off

Current Employee - At Home Interpreter
    Current Employee - At Home Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

-Work from home
    -No commute
    -No expenses in transportation, food or clothes
    -You can work from your bed if you feel like it.
    -You feel like you can help people that have a barrier communicating.
    -Easy to request temporary change of schedule (meaning if you want your schedule change for just one day)
    -At least you have a job!

Cons

-PAY: Terrible pay, guaranteed minimum wage or 0.25 per minute. So the highest possible earning is $15 per hour which it never happens. The average for Spanish Interpreter is 11 to 12 per hour. There are no increments on salary ever, no sick days, no paid vacations. You only get 80 hours a year for your vacation or time off, but they do not pay any vacation time. Also now if you are interpreter for Spanish working full time, you can't work overtime.
    -Occurrences: Every little time you need to take off for yourself, either because your are sick of having an emergency, counts as an occurrence, either if it is a whole day or just half an hour. If you have a certain amount of occurrences in one year, they send you a letter. The third letter is for dismissal.
    -Very difficult permanent change of schedule. Almost impossible. They will not grant it to the point that if you can't meet the schedule, then you'll be fired.
    -If your need is not in compliance with the company needs, then bad luck! So for example if you need to change your schedule to start working earlier because you need to do something later, and the company doesn't need you at that time, they will not grant you the change of schedule.
    -If you request vacation time and one of the days is not available but is in the middle of your vacation, and you explain that you'll be out of the country that day, they still will NOT grant you that day, and it will count as an occurrence. So, not only they don't pay you, but they punish you for not being one day back to work in the middle of your vacation.
    -No communication with other interpreters other than their controlled forums.
    -Any training or any kind of requirement for advancement is on your time, not company time. You will not get any better pay anyway.
    -Payroll is a mystery. Impossible to know how are the minutes calculated, specially the overtime minutes, and that is a mystery that nobody will tell you how is calculated.
    -If you request to speak with someone in Human Resources, you can't. All communication have to be through email.
    -Management... the best way to explain their attitude is with an image: They are the jews that worked for the Nazis in the concentration camps pushing the other jews to work harder for their piece of rotten bread. The management, when they respond to inquiries, which is NEVER on the same day, most likely will not side with you whatsoever. They don't care for the employee, they care for the clients and they will protect the clients over the employees anytime and always.
    -NO BENEFITS: you get an extremely limited insurance that will not cover you for anything. On the other hand with the pay you get, you pretty much qualify for financial assistance from any hospital if you can't pay the bill that the insurance doesn't pay. No 401k or any kind of retirement plan and of course NO PROFIT sharing whatsoever!
    -No incentives for better qualified people. No commendations, no recognition. No bonuses of any kind, and for December holidays, one postcard If you are lucky!

Treat your workers as if they were humans. The interpreters are the ones making the money for the company. They should get better pay, incentives, something that will inspire them to stay with the company because they like it, not because they have no other choice. As someone wrote somewhere else, Karma will take care of you all! You'll get what you deserve for the way you treat your workers.

Language Line Is Not Worth To Work For

Current Employee - All Call Interpreter
    Current Employee - All Call Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

This is a company that allows interpreters and others to work in their own home setting. This is the only "sweet" point that attracts people who want to work for additional income but can't afford to leave their home ( mothers with kids, nearly retired people, college students .....). This is a place people can learn the interpretation skills on phone.

Cons

Above are the only two reasons people should stick with LLS. Other than that people should work for this company for a short while to get experience and they should move on for the better.
    1. There are no hope for professional growth with LLS. The company only hires people in USA when it has no choice. It hires most people from Latin America for cheaper cost.
    2. I was "tricked' into "converting to All Call Interpreters with all the trainings(on my own time) . And was able to get more calls routing to me. But the way LLS lists the time and pay per minute on my pay stuffs is so vague and confused that I was never can figure out whether I get paid correctly or not. No one of the company can give me a straight answer.
    3. The pay rate per minute for Customer Service Interpreters is $.3 and $.33 for the All call Interpreters. But they charge clients for $3.95 a minute. Regardless, I still do not know for sure how much I get paid per minute, $.3 or $.33 . Anyhow not a big difference. I'm screwed.
    4. When it comes to asking to change your work schedule, they make it so difficult, even if you let them know months in advance . In my case, I gave them 3 month notice of my new work schedule. Still I got denied. Some tricks you can do is just quit and re-apply to get a new work schedule.
    5. If you want to take vacation: tough luck. You are on your own to look for a swap from your co-workers . LLS never promotes and practices work/life balancing.
    6. Management communication is vague and shallow and rare. For the number of years working for
    LLS , I got only 2 meetings with my manager. And those were on un-paid time.
    7. With low pay, yet LLS expects a lot from interpreters. If you encounter LLS phone system problems , you are expected to file VOI tickets (Voice Of Interpreters) on your own un-paid time.
    8. In theory, the pay rate is $18/hr ($.3x60minutes) but you never get that . But calls do not come in without some waiting in between . So the average pay is around 12/13 bucks an hour.
    9. Your vocal cord could be damaged if you keep talking in 2 hours continuously though.

There are more cons but I can stop here. You get my point.

LLS should pay interpreters higher rate and give pay raises to interpreters on a yearly basis. More communication from management and pay people the time they attend meetings and trainings. LLS should stop this low pay tactics in order to spare money to buy others smaller companies.

LLS is a sweatshop

Former Employee - Customer Service Interpreter in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

1- Satisfaction of knowing you've helped someone who otherwise would be stuck due to language barrier
    2- At leas you have a job

Cons

I worked for Language Line on and off since 2005 in their call center in Dominican Republic. I remember having to study hard to pass the Interpreter Skill Assessment test. That was then. Now just about anyone who can say "Hello, my name is" can be an interpreter. In 2006 I was trained to be a Customer Service Interpreter Plus, meaning that in addition to regular calls I would be handling calls from nurses, doctors and taking recorded statements for insurance companies with lawyers on the line. A year later, LLS decided that paying an extra $0.20 cents for a CSI+ was too expensive and eradicated that title and made all regular CSI (even with NO extra training) take those calls for the same miserable pay: $3.40 USD per hour. They charge their customers $3.95/min for the service, so I earned less in ONE hour than the profit I brought in for the company in ONE minute. I also worked as a recruiter that same year and and their philosophy was pretty much quantity before quality. The call center has such a high volume of calls that many calls are bumped off the line by a new incoming call. You ended a call and there was no breather, the next one came in a second after your last call (which had lasted 40 mins) ended. Starting in 2007, All Call Interpreters were forced to take Court-Certified calls (thus lie under oath and say they were certified) when they were not. Those interpreters who felt this was dishonest and abusive (since no pay raise came along with the harder, increased number of calls) were told to suck it up or walk. We had very little support from our supervisors (called "Incharges"). In fact, the general feeling was that Incharges were on a witch hunt, trying to get everyone fired for something as small as taking off your shoes in your cubicle. The incharges grew increasingly jealous of the All Calls because an AC Interpreter earns more than the incharges do (AC interpreter are paid $4.10 USD per hour) and would not allow an interpreter to sign himself on for available overtime because "he'd be earning too much money" (their words exactly). The new All Calls are not even given proper training to take medical calls, They are basically given the material to study on their own and tell them to start taking AC calls BEFORE passing the test. Many AC candidates interpret these calls on a daily basis for months before being told they are not qualified to take them and need to do more studying! There are patients listening to some unqualified interpreter's rendition of a conversation that could mean life or death!!!!!! In 2008 LLS bought out Omni Interpreters and brought along its GM as the center's new GM. This person fired anyone he didn't like, laid off more people in six months than the total in all previous years. This person had a Music degree and was managing an entire call center of interpreters when he himself knew NOTHING of it. He was later on fired due to incompetence but the damage was done. Language Line is a company that exploits its production team, has no regard for its employees and views us only as an employee number. They are greedy and ask for too much when giving back so little.

Stop sacrificing good interpreters for mediocre ones just because it's more profitable. When such delicate matters as a person's LIFE is at stake, quality should be the number one priority. I hope you get sued for all you're worth.

Worse than hell, Hell On Earth, the worst job I ever had, Slave Drivers, VeryAbusive company

Former Employee - Do Not Work for This Company Unless You Hate Yourself in Monterey, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

working out of your home

Cons

You don't know the meaning of slave driver until you worked for LLS, 3rd world pay, demanding boss who never responds to your e-mail, no sick leave, if you become sick too bad, you're fired, no pay raise ever I was switched to all call interepreter and the pay stayed minimum wage. The call volume is constant and company allows calls to come into your line 10 seconds before your lunch break, just interpreted for 3 hours straight, too bad, here is some more interpreting for you and screw your time off. So this job is actually worse than any job you can imagine, and you get almost no compensation for it. Company does not certify interpreters but tells them to lie to court officers that you are court certified. Some one should shut them down for unsafe working conditions.

I believe in Karma and everyone single one of you will be punished by Karma for abusing and exploiting your employees. Luis Provenzano should be investigated for abusive way he's handling employees.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Work At Home Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Work At Home Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

The only benefit is that you work from home

Cons

When you take time off due to a family emergency or a sick child, you get reprimanded, even when you have a doctor's note. The sad part is that if you receive 3 warnings for absences (even if they are 100% justified) they let you go. There is NO flexibility whatsoever to balance work life and family life. They expect you to be there, PERIOD. No benetits, no health insurance and I was getting paid the minimum amount for high-quality work. I was there for a year until I got a job elsewhere. My recommendation to others who are looking to work as an interpreter there... DON'T it's a mistake.

Get your act together. It's unfair that the itnerpreters make close to minimum wage here in the US and you don't even offer benefits or vacation. Be more flexible, there are those of us who are moms and have obligations, children get sick, there are emergencies, etc., Be involved with those of us who are really working hard and are the heart of the company.

Very unfair company to work for.

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You work at home and don't have to drive or dress up.

Cons

There is no flexibity n their schedule. No benefits (sick day, insurance, 401k, ect.)

More flexibility, and pay enough for the position.

Language Line Services A Company with No Heart

Former Employee - Over-the-Phone Interpreter
    Former Employee - Over-the-Phone Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You get to work from the comfort of your home with flexible hours. Your heart feels a little warm when you get to help others with limited English proficiency and you know you just made their lives a little easier.

Cons

1. No training. Once you get the one-hour orientation right after you are hired, you are on your own. The rest is all self-study.
    2. No career advancement opportunity. No matter how many commendations you get and how long you work for the company, you will always be an over-the-phone interpreter with no raises.
    3. Extremely poor compensation compared to other companies in the industries. No vacation, no health insurance, no retirement plan, no bonus, NO BENEFIT at all. Pay-per-minute is extremely low compared to how much the company charges its customers. On the company website as of Dec of 2010, you can open an account and have an immediate access to an interpreter, just get your credit card ready and be prepared to pay $3.95 per minute. On the other hand, if you are the interpreter, consider yourself extremely lucky if you get paid close to 10% of the $3.95. There is no pay raise after you are hired. I worked for the company for close to 10 years with many commendations and not a single complaint from clients. The only thing I experienced was pay cuts. After the first 4 years at the company, my pay rate got cut by 1/3, unheard of in any other workplaces. A couple of years after that, my call volume was cut for more than a half when the company hired a bunch of cheaper interpreters only to handle customer service related phone calls. The only calls that got routed to me were the more complex medical, legal calls etc., but still no raise. Since I only got paid for time spent on the phone, once the volume dropped, my pay went down along with it.
    4. LLS only cares about its bottom line and doesn't care much about its employees at all. They lay employees off not due to lack of business, they do it simply to increase profit. Once the company is able to find someone cheaper, even just by a nickel, you will be let go immediately. And they manage to do it in a very poor taste, without any common courtesy. They will simply call you the week right before Christmas and tell you that "because of 'overstaffing', you are laid off effective immediately, and please do not log in to work after you hang up the phone." No notice in advance, no severance pay to dream about. Your income just got cut abruptly to zero. You are left on your own to scramble to find a job right before Christmas.

Right now LLS is an excellent example of capitalism at its worst. If the company continues to replace its hard-working experienced interpreters with cheaper, less qualified ones, sure the profit will go up in the short run; however this won't last long, the quality will go down and in the long run, you will lose clients. It is clearly not a sustainable business model. And please show some respect to the interpreters. The company is an interpretation company and it is nothing without the hard-working interpreters.

Language Line Services: Use it to pay school and get out!

Current Employee - Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Schedule Flexibility: There are many schedule options to choose from -two to five days a week, five to nine hours a day schedules- so it's hard for you not to find one that fits your needs. You can also swap your availability with someone else sometimes for special ocassions.

Pay: This is both a good and a bad reason to work at LLS: even though the salary is not bad for costarrican standards, it is ludicrously low compared to the profit that LLS makes from its outsources interpreters. I conceed that the whole point of outsourcing is to lower the productions costs, but LLS charges it's customers, per minute, about a 60% of what it pays its outsourced interpreters per hour. It's staff in Costa Rica earn just about as much as a senior engineer with no english skills and the only qualifications required for the position are english and spanish proficiency, so it is good pay; but the chasm between what you earn and what you should be earning becomes discouraging quickly.

Job Stability: There are many reasons why LLS won't sink any time soon. Just like with many other outsourced services, it does well with bountyful times but it thrives during crises: the more big economies are forced to reduce productions costs, the more they outsource everything they can. Also, its maket demand is gargantuan and it keeps swelling by the thousands every passing day; simply put: as long as there is non-english speaking people in the USA, there will be a job to do. Last but not least, LLS is the the lead company in over-the-phone interpretations services, holding 98% of the American market, as of last year.

Cons

The Pay: As I stated in the section above: it's good by the local standards, but in comparisson to interpreters worldwide and to the profit ratio, it's plain insulting.

The Labor Itself: Consecutive interpretation is the most difficult type of interpretation and one of the most mentally wearing activities in general. It is no surprise that consecutive interpreters get cycled every twenty minutes or so beause mental exhaustion leads to unaccuracy. At LLS, an interpreter may not always be able to afford such leisure: given a high volume of calls -e.g. every monday morning- he may have to interpret even three hours in a row. And to finish the picture, he is required to interpret for courts, 911 dispatch, insurance companies, financial institutions, hospitals... every organization out there which you may think that will need to speak with an inmigrant; that means that he has to be familiar with a mind blogging wealth of industry information which he'll manage to juggle in his head along with the regionalisms, street-talk, thick accents or mental confusion of his interlocutors. In all honesty, these words don't really do justice to the malestrom of trying to get two completely alien people to converse wtih each other: it even seemed simple to me, years ago when I had never tried to do it. Now I understand, maybe far too well to my liking, that -perhaps like the US itself- you have to be there to understand what it's like.

The Facilities: They are not, by any account, an office. They are a storage hangar with walls lifted inside it in order to home cubicles and a few personal offices. Consequently, there are no windows whatsoever and all walls are white. Boxing a few hundred very stressed people in an environment which is seemingly decorated to isolate the brain from stimulus is not the best idea. Remember Guantanamo.

First off, I really would not seriously advice them to try to improve the working environment and the morale of its outsourced staff because that would be naïveté. LLS is owned by a very powerful board of investors -which also owns big record labels and the like- and I understand that they are more interested in looking after other investments that require more active managing than stand-alone, already-on-its-way LLS; so they leave LLS to pretty much make money and run on itself. To this board of investors, LLS is what a rental home is to John Doe: a secure source of income that he only thinks about when its time to collect the rent or when something reportedly needs fixing and that is otherwise left out of mind to profit by itself.

That being said and dreaming on, management should try to lift the morale of its staff by giving periodic raises, buying working whole chairs, getting a proper call center building and relocating, hiring more people so that the call volume orbits manageable levels, paying a fair salary for what it is making from the labor of its outsourced people, allowing for people to work at home and creating atractive growth and study oportunities; not by making the ocassional little writting, art or costume contest.

Great Job Horrible Pay and very secretive

Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The job itself is great you can work from the comfort of your home and they have allot of options to pick the schedule that best fits your time frame, the job itselfs is great very challenging and if your are someone who is afraid of pressure and stress this is not the job for you.

Cons

they are very secretive about their pay rate and i have spoken with their Human Resource Department, after i finally was hired and the pay is a desapointment for the type of service one is providing, you would expect that since its a very profitable job this is not true if you are working for language line.

Its painfully obvious that the company LanguageLine is a company that does not care about exploting people and abusing the political and economical situacion in 2nd and 3rd worl countries.

LanguageLine Solutions Photos