LanguageMate Reviews

2.1
William Z. Tan

1. Solid Organization to Work For

I have been working at LanguageMate

Pros

I've worked for this firm for some time now and I thoroughly enjoy it. I've found the CEO to be understanding and professional. When offering my opinion on matters, I feel as though I'm listened to and well respected. I don't regret my decision to join and look forward to growing with the firm. I'm given opportunities to take initiative which I appreciate the most.

Cons

Because my position isn't your typical 40 hours a week, I haven't had as much opportunity to bond with the other employees. My outside obligations require a slightly modified and more flexible schedule which I prefer.

2. Just don't.

I have been working at LanguageMate

Pros

Brilliant, motivated coworkers with a commitment to the mission.

Cons

Horrible, inexperienced, sexist, misogynistic CEO.

Fire yourselves.

3. The Name has Changed, but not the Problems

I have been working at LanguageMate full-time

Pros

Good location, friendly coworkers, free coffee and snacks

Cons

CEO, Bill Tan is very bad at his job and speaks down to staff, low pay, dirty office, extremely high turnover. Used to be called LanguageMate. They changed the name to Transcendent Endeavors, probably to avoid all the bad reviews.

Hire executives that know what they are doing, fix the problems instead of changing the company name, stop treating people bad.

5. Interesting Work, OK work environment

I worked at LanguageMate

Pros

- get to work with very intelligent people on genuinely interesting, cutting edge projects
    - due to the small company size, you get to work directly with the CEO and other higher ups
    -The CEO (Bill Tan) is very intelligent and it's a nice experience being able to work with him

Cons

-not the best work environment (everyone is a little overworked)
    -no sense of company "culture"

The management does not make sense.

I worked at LanguageMate

Pros

Professional, talented, and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Management is unprofessional, unfocused, and indecisive. Management is also ill-informed about the nature of the company's work, leading to unrealistic expectations. Each employee job title does not begin to describe the inevitable responsibilities for the employee, who winds up taking on the responsibilities of many employees, and fulfilling job functions that are entirely unrelated to their field.

There is also an overall atmosphere of mistrust between the employees and management. Management rarely listens to advice from employees (who are educated and/or experienced in their fields).

Listen to the advice of your employees. In their field, they are experts and you know very little. Your employees have no reason to lie to you or purposely do a bad job. In the current company climate, it quickly feels futile to offer opinions and, eventually, to care at all. Especially when employees are continuously being made to feel, simultaneously, lectured about company transparency and mislead about topics such as the state of the company and its various projects.

You would also do well to realize that your employees are already doing the impossible by meeting various deadlines and expectations, and your inability to put forth concrete, lasting decisions, accurately describe expectations, or avoid contradictions creates inefficiency and extra work, which leads employees to have little faith in company procedures

Immediate team is fantastic but CEO has no regard for any ideas other than his own and creates a demoralizing workplace

I have been working at LanguageMate

Pros

Bright, fun colleagues
    Accommodating and flexible paid time off
    Casual environment
    Constructive reviews and reasonable raises

Cons

Demoralizing work culture
    Lack of focus for company leads to effort that seems wasted with no real results to see the light of day
    Poor management (mainly top down) creates a disjointed workplace rather than teams working synergistically

Reflect on management style and approach to work
    Accept constructive criticism and work on being better leader's in the company to bring a fresh, positive air to the company
    Embrace humility and accept that there is always room for improvement in oneself
    Be open to ideas and actually listen. It's obvious when you don't when nothing is maple tented and employees quickly stop caring to provide any further feedback or even for the company as a whole

Great Employees/Awful Management: STAY FAR AWAY

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at LanguageMate

Pros

- Great co-workers who work hard and push forward despite the roadblocks and idiocies from upper management,

- Fun and interesting to work on projects

- A strong, good, and clean codebase with constantly evolving architecture

Cons

- Upper managements constantly changes its direction with little rhyme or reason

- A total lack a vision for the majority of its products leading to repetition of implementing, removing, and reimplmenting features,

- Nearly zero marketing and sales efforts.

- Constant turnover of employes who get sick or burnt out from the contant struggel with upper management.

Stop and actually listen to your employees, before no one is left. There are many extremely talented and skilled people there who are constantly shot down, undermined, or just plain insulted by upper management.

9. Not good

I have been working at LanguageMate

Pros

The development team is great.

Cons

The management is clueless and does not know how to run a business.

Stop worrying about training for the developers and take some courses on how to run a business.

Just really, really don't do it

I worked at LanguageMate

Pros

Great mid- and entry-level staff, though unfortunately most are demoralized and looking elsewhere.
    Admirable benefits package.

Cons

Company culture is at best non-existent, at worst caustic.
    As repeated in other reviews here, projects are continually thwarted by senior management.
    Management refuses to level with employees.
    No value is given to a healthy work-life balance.

Just ask to see the turnover numbers from the past year or few years.

Your employees are people, not machinery. Humanize the workplace better.

It would be of tremendous advantage to everyone for the company to focus on doing a few things well, rather than a jumbled pot of numerous things poorly. Acknowledge your weaknesses and don't move on until the recurrent problems have been eliminated.

Interesting work with great potential and great co-workers

I worked at LanguageMate

Pros

-Admirable mission to try and help people communicate better in healthcare
    -The start-up environment allows a lot of room for employees to contribute ideas and start projects that interest them
    -Great co-workers, incl. many driven to help others
    -Flex hours in summer
    -A sense of humor is usually appreciated, always tolerated
    -Diverse, talented staff connected to interesting networks
    -I saw lots of improvement over the time I was there
    -A few bright apples can lift morale considerably - there are more smiles there than in past years

Overall, if employees are motivated and at least moderately tough to deal with some of the setbacks of the start-up disorder, they can gain valuable work experience in the field (esp. if you are interested in healthcare, language, communications, technology, teamwork experience, etc.)

Cons

-Senior management tends to ask for unreasonable deliverables that draw out and disorganize the execution of projects
    -The stale office atmosphere doesn't help you if you're already feeling down about something
    -There is very little hand-holding, which is great if you're a self-starter and confusing if you're used to a large company with more formal training

If more of the unreasonable executive ideas/requests were diverted with "no"s from management, junior and entry employees would be less discouraged in trying to deal with them.

Try to better focus talent and expendable funds to projects that will legitimately move the company fwd and not frustrate employees.