Lanmark Technology

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lani Hay

Pleasant company; little contact other than time keeping etc.

I have been working at Lanmark Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsThey hired me for a job I enjoyed with good colleagues

ConsJob lasted only as long as the government wanted it to.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour business is renting people; too bad you don't have a way to recycle them between contracts.

Exciting direction

I have been working at Lanmark Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsYou make an impact at work in many different ways.

ConsWould prefer more flexible work options such as a 4-10 or 9-80 work week.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to Management: Don't forget to let all staff know of the good things that are happening.

My Review:
I love my job. I’ve been there 2+ years and the current direction of the company is pretty exciting. Is the CEO demanding and does she hold everyone accountable? Absolutely! However, she is no more demanding on me than I am on myself. I would not want a CEO that does not have high expectations from her staff. I go to work to make a difference and that is what I feel like I do at LMT.

Every company has something unique about their culture and not every company is right for every person.
If you want a job where your work is status quo, LMT is not for you.
If you want a job where you do not have to wear multiple hats (the “do what it takes mentality”), then LMT is not for you.

If you want a job where you are content being an individual contributor without a thought for what is right for the team, then LMT is not for you.

HOWEVER, LMT is right for you if you have a desire to make a difference with what you do at work (and with the world in terms of our work with National Security). The most exciting opportunities in your career are those that give you the ability to have a very direct impact on the strategy and future of the organization. This is what you get at LMT.

Team-driven and results-driven. It is a great foundation that has been established as this company continues to grow. Exciting things are happening at LMT.

Love Headaches, Drama, Zero Work-Life Balance and Lack of Leadership? Than This is the Place for You.

I have been working at Lanmark Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsI struggle to come up with one.

Cons-CEO is absent, not-involved with her business, blames others for her faults/mistakes, reacts solely on her emotions and has a high-conflict personality (possibly bipolar)
-Company is run by consultants and vendors who agree with CEO on any and all issues (even those blatantly incorrect) as they fear her and losing their jobs
-There is zero work-life balance and employees are expected to be on-call 24/7 and cater to the CEO's erratic schedule
-CEO plays favorites with her friends and those she has brought on from her personal relationships (i.e: friends of ex-husbands, friends from high school, friends from college, personal friends, etc), thus making it very difficult for employees not in these inner circles to thrive.
-Company sets individuals up for failure by not managing or expressing expectations, not providing job descriptions, lack of communication, etc.
-CEO thinks that rearranging an org chart is how to run a company (org chart changes weekly).
-Rapid turnover rates (90%) In one year, 15 people from the corporate office of 20 quit and 3 got fired (for unprofessional reasons); HR reported that the average lifespan of an LMT employee is 6 months.
-CEO yells, verbally abuses and shames employees for any mistakes made during company-wide meetings.
-CEO tries to push the LMT Corproate Culture. However, the only culture consists of all employees sitting in individual offices with doors closed and only coming out to have conversations and chat with one another when the CEO is out of the office (which is quite often with her personal travel schedule).
-LMT employees are expected to attend weekend events, after work events and support her charities and events of choice. Most staff did not want to participate in these events as they work so much unpaid overtime, however were afraid of the repercussions if they did not attend.
-All previous employees (regardless of the reason they provide for quitting) are bad mouthed upon departure and gossiped about.
-The corporate office fosters an environment similar to any middle school: gossip, backstabbing, threats, cliques, etc.
-LMT has many contracts expiring in 2014 and no real business in the pipeline for the future. However, this did not become a concern of the CEO until January 2014 and she is now scrambling to try to find more consultants and business development employees to "fix" the mess she has created and to win new work.

I would not recommend this hotbed of a company to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell your business and go away!

Business Development - you failed

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Lanmark Technology full-time

ProsNone to be found now

ConsPMs suck, poor leadership, no sense of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your S*#@ together!

Not happy with company. Communication and Leadership is lacking.

I have been working at Lanmark Technology full-time

ProsHealth Benefits and flexible work schedule depending on position

ConsNo professional growth and no recognition from leadership.

Terrible place to work because the leader only cares about herself, not her employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lanmark Technology full-time

ProsThe actual employees are great and care about their customers and the mission

ConsCEO/president treats her staff horibly and lacks respect for others and their points of view.
Very disrespectful and unprofessional place to work with very high turnover at corporate office

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an experienced leader run the buisness and keep the president out of the operations and people interactions. Focus less on bottom line and more on employee value and contribution. Improve benefits and costs of benefits to employees. Treat employees with respect.

Looks can be deceiving

Cannot Divulge (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at Lanmark Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are lucky enough to report to a good supervisor you can have a decent job. If you report to one of their less than stellar Program Managers your life can and will be reduced to a living hell. If you like "Bling" you will love what the owner gives out for Christmas presents. She thinks everyone loves swarovski crystal encrusted items and thinks former Military men LIKE swarovski crystal covered pens, calculators, mini-staplers. . . You can't make this up.

ConsContracts end with little to no warning or notice to the field contractors. The government clients get any warm body the corporate office can find to sit in the seat. The contracts are won by low bidding and then the recruiters quit out of frustration because they can't find anyone with a Master's degree willing to work for peanuts. The benefit package is "okay". The person who sits at the COO desk at the corporate office seems to change every year or more. The more you learn the wackier it gets.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a professional CEO/COO and let him/her run the company as a REAL company should be run. The owner should back off and let the professionals do the heavy lifting. She is woefully under-prepared to run her own company.

Treated like a zero

Employee (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at Lanmark Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsNone that I could find.

ConsCorporate operates on the "out of sight, out of mind mentality" and doesn't care about employees and just use you to "fill gaps" so they can charge the government for meaningless work. The JIEDDO PM operates like little dictator and is in need of professional management skills. Coupled these two factors is why there's a very high turnover rate. If you don't want to be trained, have a purpose, be treated with hostility...then this is the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive by ensuring PMs are properly trained and know how to allocate resources, provide training, foster a positive work environment, delegate without dictating; and above-all treat employees with respect. If PMs were reviewed by their employees, you would quickly find their weaknesses...but that would require a corporate staff that cares about its people.

Small firm, Corporate staff isolated and autocratic, Very high turnover at program management levels

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lanmark Technology

ProsLanmark has some services contracts with the Joint IED Defeat Organization (JIEDDO). If you want to work in some selected JIEDDO technical areas, you must be with Lanmark.

ConsLanmark has a lower-tier benefits package in order to keep its bid rates low. In 2010, it required all employees to sign a post-employment non-compete agreement as a condition for continued employment. One condition required separated employees to inform Lanmark which companies they later join. Between October 2010 and November 2011, Lanmark had 4 different Program Managers leading Lanmark employees on one of its major JIEDDO contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on excellence in management and leadership and employees.

Basically like being a 1099 contractor, you're out on your own.

Operations Research Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at Lanmark Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is substantial if you're in the right position, and I'm really straining to think of another good thing. You're really only going to work for them for the money. The benefits package is industry standard.

ConsPoor communications of policies and procedures.
All company perks are designed to benefit those employed there > 5 years, but the very nature of a lot of the firm's work makes it impossible to stay there for more than 1 or 2 years before you burn out.
Inadequate support for deployed team members.
Poor response rates from the barely existing help desk.
No support for continuing education.
Frankly, the screening for some of the candidates working for them has been minimal. There are people here with just rudimentary skills.
Lousy 401k and pitiful matching percentage.
Absolutely zero culture. You are on your own.
Typical small-business defense contractor with one or two golden contracts.

Minor gripe: the 2012 company newsletter was like... 18 pages? More than 50 pages of the CEO glad-handing around DC. Focus more on stuff like... your employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerge with another, better-run company. Cash out and leave management to people who care.

Worked for Lanmark Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lanmark Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lanmark Technology CEO Lani Hay. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Lanmark Technology employees.