Laramar Group

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
3.3

Jeff Elowe

An exceptional company with plenty of room for growth!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Laramar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the Corporate Office located in Chicago, and I cannot speak highly enough of Laramar Group! The Executive team is amazing. The office has a "family" feel and everyone is incredibly supportive of each other. There is also room for growth within the company (I was only hired because the receptionist was taking the former receptionist position, as she moved up as well). Overall, highly recommend working here!

Cons

I have absolutely nothing bad to say (from my experience).

Continue on the exceptional management

Finally Laramar got it right! Thank you!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Laramar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not being micromanagement is probably the best experience for me just as long as you are getting things done (of course as it should be). The positive culture or philosophy that has sustained Laramar's reputation is something that more or less exists only in Colorado. Laramar does invest in their employees by offering great online training courses, marketing and technical support. Employees who live on Colorado seem to experience the unequivocal support that Laramar is known for.

Cons

Not enough opportunity for growth unless you are really good at carrying the torch 24 hours a day round the clock. I'd wish they really promote a better work life balance as many employees are just being spread too thin and are losing motivation. Regional managers need more support and better training on how to be effective coaches/leaders. More emphasis should be placed on developing great leaders who can inspire their team to reach greatness and tap into their true potential. Laramar needs to have a yearly Community Manager events held in Colorado in order for us all to get a better understanding of this so called culture.

Please hire and area vice president who values and respects their team and will appreciate all the long and extra hours we are not paid for.. We were very fed up with the belittling of employees in front of our colleagues while having a leader who was just as incompetent himself. Please hire someone who can run financial reports via Yardi including the ability to manage Excel spreadsheets without someone holding their hand. We can no longer tolerate a leader who is infamous for having someone else do his work while taking all the credit and glory himself. If you value your reputation avoid hiring people who lack ethics, integrity, and leadership skills unlike the leader you just decided to part ways with. Please train your executives on using YARDI and Excel. Many of us were called at odd hours of the evening for information that they could have been accessed themselves creating a very stressful work life balance. And for god sake please have the courtesy to advise us of reports that are due within adequate time. We already have a busy work load and getting a call to drop everything for a report that was due yesterday is just plain irresponsible and inconsiderate.

People, Properties, Potential

Former Employee - Senior Property Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Property Manager

I worked at Laramar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy- Leaders trust you to do your job
    Flexibility- Family comes first
    Respect- Not just a number

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities in certain regions
    Pressure to perform within tight deadlines (specifically budget season)

The Worst Experience of my Life!

Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager

I worked at Laramar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and decent salary. The support at the Corporate level is excellent and I believe that, excluding the SF Bay Area region, this would be an excellent company to work for..

Cons

If you don't mind working for arrogant, belittling, lying, management then this is the company for you. They don't hesitate to hire you under false pretenses and then belittle and fire you with no warning for their mismanagement and ill preparedness. Avoid working in the SF Bay Region because these people are ruthless.

Consider the devastating consequences that result when you hire someone under false pretenses, use them to cover up your lack of preparedness and poor leadership, and then fire them with no warning. No At Will Employment Agreement excuses an employer from terminating an employee in "bad faith" without just cause.

Great group of people - absolute professionals

I worked at Laramar Group

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Laramar. Was given ample support to successfully complete my tasks onsite. Friendly co-workers and total professionals.

Cons

At times highly stressful work environment.

Great Company

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Laramar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think Laramar is a great company. The benefits are excellent. The vacation schedule is also excellent. The organization is structured and the expectations are within reach. I've worked in property management many years and I felt this was a great company to work with. I wish them future success as well.

Cons

I wish they could have grown in the West Coast Region.

Purchase more properties in the West Coast area.

Disappointed in the company.

I have been working at Laramar Group

Pros

The company does not micro-manage the staff. There is not a lot of "busy" work that is not essential to the position required.

Cons

The working environment was very negative. I wish the company took time to tell you about the mission and values of the company. I feel disconnected from the culture because I don't know what the culture is.

Improve the working atmosphere. Hire better managers.

Grass is definitely not greener on the other side!

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Laramar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great and the company does utilize the latest technologies and trends within it's business model. One thing I can appreciate is Laramar's expectations for stellar customer service. Our portfolio of properties was taken over by Laramar in June 2013. Their commitment to Customer Service was big for me considering JB Partners Group's horrible reputation on corporate and upper managements lack of response to customer service, fair housing and labor related issues.

Cons

Regional managers demand unreasonable requests during your days off and refuse to comp you that time in exchange. The general consensus among us Property Managers in California is that we are being taken advantage of, spread thin yet they continue to increase the work load with unreasonable deadlines. Employees are under appreciated and promotions are based on favoritism and brown nosing rather than merit. Evasive regional and assisting managers who refuse to address valid concerns over labor laws and HR issues.

Take the time to value and appreciate every staff member. I can't express the importance of taking 2 mins out of your time to pat your team on the back. Many lower level staff such as our maintenance or porters are discouraged that they are never acknowledged by you during your visits. Why not build up your teams moral? Especially if they are performing better than over 90% of the portfolio. My experience working with an un-involved, insensitive and impersonal regional manager is mutual among our portfolio and ask you be more diplomatic and strategic with your approach.

Grass isn't Greener

Former Employee - Leasing Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Leasing Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Laramar Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Bonuses
    Company Functions
    Career Growth (In some states)

Cons

Needs more communities on the east coast (southern states)
    Complaints need to be looked into more in depth

I loved working for this company, I only left b/c I was offered an Assistant CM position with another company. Laramar only owned/managed one community in Charlotte NC so I was not able to grow unless I relocated to another state.

Maintenance Technician

I worked at Laramar Group

Pros

Great people to work with and always an exciting day taking care of tenants.

Cons

The job can be very stressful especially when tenants tend to get mad easily and want everything replaced without charge.