Las Vegas Review Journal

Las Vegas Review Journal Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great group of people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great experience working at the RJ. Lots of training provided, and everyone is willing to help you while you learn. Your co-workers become a second family. The company provides employee moral boosting through employee day once a month, providing lunch and activities once a month.

ConsThe one draw back is that it's hard to get a raise or promotion, even when promised. I got the work load that went with the promotion, but not the title or the raise. However, the management team that did this to me is longer in control.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overlook your assistants or try to force an employee into a position they are not willing to take just to get a raise.

Comfortable work environment, however workload does not balance with commission potential.

Account Executive Outside Sales (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsProfessional management staff that welcome open communication.

ConsAlthough they ask for open communication, and pretend to listen, they rarely follow through. They just seem to placate you to keep you happy. Commision is capped even though one is encouraged, even penalized if you do not exceed goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn need of aggressive sales / commission structure. Excellent salespeople often make great managers because they will know how to train their sales staff to sell like they do.

Freelance sports writer

Freelance Sports Writer (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsFreedom to work creatively and independently.

ConsThey don't do a great job of making you feel as if you're part of the LVRJ team if you're a stringer. Also, a downer: compensation is little and infrequent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of social networking more. Get freelancers more involved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Executive

Account Executive Outside Sales (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWork with a great group of people that have been apart of the review journal for years.

ConsLot of POLITICS and not about actually selling! The paper is fighting to break even and there are constant changes which makes it very uneasy to just work. A certain division manager who has been there for years is out for herself and just says what is needed to stick around..

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former)

Account Executive (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsManagers are great to work with. They help provided solutions to all your questions, are patient and helpful. Training program is very helpful.

ConsCompensation and benefits are horrible. Commission structure and pay are complex, and near impossible to achieve full100%. Upper management is headed by 2 men who believe very deeply in downsizing, and outsourcing divisions to outside companies and vendors. Long term plans leave you scratching your head as to where the company will be in the months ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if I, or anyone below you had answers that would benefit the company... would you listen?

When I started with the RJ, it was truly a great place to work. I would have retired from the company but was downsized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsI moved quickly among various positions, and was fortunate to have one created for me that meshed very well with my skill set.

ConsI got caught in the company's downsizing and lost my job in 2012. It is no longer a great place to work; everyone looks over their shoulder every day to determine if it's their time to be let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Listen to your entire remaining workforce and use a company, such as OC Tanner out of Salt Lake City, to re-energize your workers and lead them to trust and feel comfortable again. Valued workers add to retention, innovation and thereby the bottom line.

Professional Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen people learned that I worked at the daily newspaper, I believe that it gave credibility to my skills.

ConsI believe that one's experience can be determined by his or her supervisor and his or her demeanor. I got along well with my supervisor, but others did not.

Family-friendly place to work

Account Executive (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIt was a close-knit environment, and a lot of people who worked there had been there for many, many years. They value a good work/personal life balance, which is refreshing and sometimes hard to find.

ConsIt was a tough time for newspapers and employee morale was challenged with many cutbacks and lay-offs.

LVRJ used to be a great company to work for . . . Years ago . . .

Complaint Runner (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsAdvancment opportunities. Creative and fun, most of the time. Great immediate supervisors!

ConsMicro management. Lack of tools for the assigned jobs. Poor communication. No respect for hard working and dedicated associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your customer service department in circulation trained properly and organized!! Or your subscribers will be on the decline!!!

Account Executive

Account Exexutive (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsPotential to make good money, always willing to train

ConsCold calling, raises were bad or none

Worked for Las Vegas Review Journal? Contribute to the Community!