Las Vegas Review Journal

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Freelance sports writer

Freelance Sports Writer (Current Employee)
Reno, NV

I have been working at Las Vegas Review Journal as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFreedom to work creatively and independently.

ConsThey don't do a great job of making you feel as if you're part of the LVRJ team if you're a stringer. Also, a downer: compensation is little and infrequent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of social networking more. Get freelancers more involved.

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former)

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Las Vegas Review Journal full-time for more than a year

ProsManagers are great to work with. They help provided solutions to all your questions, are patient and helpful. Training program is very helpful.

ConsCompensation and benefits are horrible. Commission structure and pay are complex, and near impossible to achieve full100%. Upper management is headed by 2 men who believe very deeply in downsizing, and outsourcing divisions to outside companies and vendors. Long term plans leave you scratching your head as to where the company will be in the months ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if I, or anyone below you had answers that would benefit the company... would you listen?

When I started with the RJ, it was truly a great place to work. I would have retired from the company but was downsized.

I worked at Las Vegas Review Journal full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI moved quickly among various positions, and was fortunate to have one created for me that meshed very well with my skill set.

ConsI got caught in the company's downsizing and lost my job in 2012. It is no longer a great place to work; everyone looks over their shoulder every day to determine if it's their time to be let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Listen to your entire remaining workforce and use a company, such as OC Tanner out of Salt Lake City, to re-energize your workers and lead them to trust and feel comfortable again. Valued workers add to retention, innovation and thereby the bottom line.

Professional Opportunity

I worked at Las Vegas Review Journal for more than 5 years

ProsWhen people learned that I worked at the daily newspaper, I believe that it gave credibility to my skills.

ConsI believe that one's experience can be determined by his or her supervisor and his or her demeanor. I got along well with my supervisor, but others did not.

Family-friendly place to work

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Las Vegas Review Journal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was a close-knit environment, and a lot of people who worked there had been there for many, many years. They value a good work/personal life balance, which is refreshing and sometimes hard to find.

ConsIt was a tough time for newspapers and employee morale was challenged with many cutbacks and lay-offs.

LVRJ used to be a great company to work for . . . Years ago . . .

Complaint Runner (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Las Vegas Review Journal as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsAdvancment opportunities. Creative and fun, most of the time. Great immediate supervisors!

ConsMicro management. Lack of tools for the assigned jobs. Poor communication. No respect for hard working and dedicated associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your customer service department in circulation trained properly and organized!! Or your subscribers will be on the decline!!!

Account Executive

Account Exexutive (Former Employee)

I worked at Las Vegas Review Journal full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPotential to make good money, always willing to train

ConsCold calling, raises were bad or none

A learning experience

Bookkeeper (Former Employee)

I worked at Las Vegas Review Journal full-time for more than a year

ProsThey give you a lot of vacation time.

ConsHealth benefits are not that good. Very expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it best to listen to your employees

There are better newspapers to work at

I worked at Las Vegas Review Journal

ProsIt's in Las Vegas.

Given the location there are a lot of great news stories to be cover and the opportunities for an entertainment reporter are huge.

ConsThe management is old and stuck in its ways. For a newspaper in Las Vegas, you'd be surprised how stuck in its ways it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas. Take advantage of your young, talented and eager staffers. Be a little more inventive. There is so much more to Vegas than the R-J covers.

If you like to use complex algorithms to determine your commissions this is the place to work.

Display Advertising Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Las Vegas Review Journal

ProsGood benefits. For the most part a good reputation in the community. Over 100 years old. Good name recognition. Tries to keep up with latest technology.

ConsCommissions are ridiculously complicated and difficult to meet arbitrary goals. New ad director is too young and immature for position and cannot make decisions quickly. Morale is at an all time low. Layoffs continue after company brought in outside consultants to see where to save money - they chose losing people. Not a happy place to work anymore.

Worked for Las Vegas Review Journal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Las Vegas Review Journal reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Las Vegas Review Journal employees.