Lasell College Reviews

CEO

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Faculty
    Former Employee - Faculty

I worked at Lasell College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people both staff and faculty, small, family feel. Campus is very beautiful, green. Management is supportive and very positive. Growing in size and reputation. Student-faculty relationship is very positive and relaxed.

Cons

Buildings are old but management is addressing the needs. Not a lot of room to grow professionally and very low pay.

Less bureaucracy helps growth.

My experience as an employee and as a student at Lasell College has been beyond amazing.

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Newton, MA

I worked at Lasell College as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great community, always growing and improving, cares about their students and their faculty/staff, great pay.

Cons

I can honestly say that I have no bad things to say about Lasell College.

Continue to take what the students say seriously.

Lasell College has allowed provided me with a great opportunity to build and expand my academic career.

Current Employee - Adjunct Lecturer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Lecturer in Newton, MA

I have been working at Lasell College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere as faculty across all departments are helpful.
    Lasell allows part-time faculty the same opportunities and respect as full-time professors.
    Small class sizes allow for faculty to engage in the material, build relationships with students and access individual learning needs/styles.
    Very supportive department chair.

Cons

Part-time salary is not as competitive as other neighboring colleges in New-England.
    Lack of consistent communication between student advisor and faculty.
    Graduate programs shifting to online and hybrid formats which hinders students from developing their face-to-face skills.

Unnecessary obstruction and disrespect

I worked at Lasell College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are typically trusted to do their jobs in the classroom. It's good to have that amount of latitude, proven by repeated positive student evaluations. The process for being approved to teach a course was, "Do you think you could teach such-and-such?" and if the answer was yes, in the classroom you went.

Cons

A management that's quick to cover its mistakes and leave its employees out to dry.

Months before the semester began, I told a department chair multiple times, via email, that I was unable to teach a class when scheduled for a forthcoming semester. On the first day of classes, the department chair called to ask me why I was not at the college to teach the class I had previously told her, multiple times, I would be unable to teach. When I reminded her that I had in fact told her (and had email records in my Lasell account proving) that I would be unable to teach the class, I shortly thereafter found access to my Lasell email account blocked and the department chair told me in no uncertain terms that I would be unwelcome back at the college.

I visited the college in person to discuss this matter with the chair, assuming that it was a misunderstanding. The chair turned her back to me as I knocked on her open office door and refused to speak with me. I then escalated this issue to the academic dean and to the college president. The chair was then quick to issue a brief message to me, informing me, "the situation has been resolved and there are no hard feelings." Oddly, however, I have not been invited back to teach since. Not that I would ever return, at this point.

When you have to swiftly block an employee's access to information that proves their claims to be true, that only helps to prove your culpability. Far better to foster an environment of mutual respect.

Great place to work for somebody with a family!

Current Employee - Professor in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Professor in Newton, MA

I have been working at Lasell College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

College culture, low stress, great colleagues, very respectful students. Good benefits both for faculty and staff.

Cons

Teaching rooms need some updates, some of the faculty needs to retire, administration needs to be less bureaucratic (I know, right?)

Respect for people drives continuous improvement from within!

Nice place to be employed,I truly enjoy it.

Current Employee - Shuttle Driver in Auburndale, MA
    Current Employee - Shuttle Driver in Auburndale, MA

I have been working at Lasell College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, free college classes for employees, free tuition for children, after 1 year of service.
    I have summers off and 1 month off inbetween semesters.

Cons

poor parking situtation, too many VP's, salary not the best, competitive but raises are very small.

none.

Satisfied with the experiennce

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at Lasell College

Pros

Very flexible work environment. Can take leaves at a short notice. options for telecommute. Senior management very approachable.

Cons

There is no clear direction for growth potential.

have very clear hr policies and recruiting process

Working at the Brennan Library has pushed me to improve my communications and organizational skills; I love working here

Current Employee - Student Library Aide
    Current Employee - Student Library Aide

I have been working at Lasell College

Pros

Since I'm usually dealing with other students, the environment is pretty relaxed and I feel like I can work at my own pace. Most of the tasks are simple after you've done it for a while. As long as you finish all your duties, the supervisors won't be too hard on you if you choose to spend the rest of your time finishing important academic projects. If you continue working there every semester, the salary gets raised every year no matter the skill level. I also think my co-workers are all super nice people and my supervisors are extremely friendly.

Cons

Depending on the time of the shift, the library can get very busy and hectic. I used to work during the afternoons and it became hard to fulfill my general duties as well as help students find books. It's important to be able to multi-task during those shifts. Another bad thing is that there is usually only one student per shift so there aren't many chances to strengthen relationships between co-workers.

I don't have much feedback to give to management/supervisors because they do a good job to informing student workers of any new policies and changes. Sometimes I do feel like the way things are set up could be changed to be more efficient. For example, when I am shelving books or shelf reading, I find it time consuming and bothersome to not be able to see the call # directly on the binding of the book. Instead, I spend time taking the book out of the shelf to see the call # near the binding area of the book but on the front cover side. It's a small issue but if all the books could have the call # on the binding, it would be much easier to complete the tasks.

Lasell College Photos