Lasell College
www.lasell.edu Newton, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Lasell College Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Lasell College has allowed provided me with a great opportunity to build and expand my academic career.

Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

ProsCollaborative atmosphere as faculty across all departments are helpful.
    Lasell allows part-time faculty the same opportunities and respect as full-time professors.
    Small class sizes allow for faculty to engage in the material, build relationships with students and access individual learning needs/styles.
    Very supportive department chair.

ConsPart-time salary is not as competitive as other neighboring colleges in New-England.
    Lack of consistent communication between student advisor and faculty.
    Graduate programs shifting to online and hybrid formats which hinders students from developing their face-to-face skills.

Unnecessary obstruction and disrespect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are typically trusted to do their jobs in the classroom. It's good to have that amount of latitude, proven by repeated positive student evaluations. The process for being approved to teach a course was, "Do you think you could teach such-and-such?" and if the answer was yes, in the classroom you went.

ConsA management that's quick to cover its mistakes and leave its employees out to dry.

Months before the semester began, I told a department chair multiple times, via email, that I was unable to teach a class when scheduled for a forthcoming semester. On the first day of classes, the department chair called to ask me why I was not at the college to teach the class I had previously told her, multiple times, I would be unable to teach. When I reminded her that I had in fact told her (and had email records in my Lasell account proving) that I would be unable to teach the class, I shortly thereafter found access to my Lasell email account blocked and the department chair told me in no uncertain terms that I would be unwelcome back at the college.

I visited the college in person to discuss this matter with the chair, assuming that it was a misunderstanding. The chair turned her back to me as I knocked on her open office door and refused to speak with me. I then escalated this issue to the academic dean and to the college president. The chair was then quick to issue a brief message to me, informing me, "the situation has been resolved and there are no hard feelings." Oddly, however, I have not been invited back to teach since. Not that I would ever return, at this point.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have to swiftly block an employee's access to information that proves their claims to be true, that only helps to prove your culpability. Far better to foster an environment of mutual respect.

Great place to work for somebody with a family!

Professor (Current Employee)
    Newton, MA

ProsCollege culture, low stress, great colleagues, very respectful students. Good benefits both for faculty and staff.

ConsTeaching rooms need some updates, some of the faculty needs to retire, administration needs to be less bureaucratic (I know, right?)

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect for people drives continuous improvement from within!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to be employed,I truly enjoy it.

Shuttle Driver (Current Employee)
    Auburndale, MA

ProsNice people, free college classes for employees, free tuition for children, after 1 year of service.
    I have summers off and 1 month off inbetween semesters.

Conspoor parking situtation, too many VP's, salary not the best, competitive but raises are very small.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Satisfied with the experiennce

Newton, MA

ProsVery flexible work environment. Can take leaves at a short notice. options for telecommute. Senior management very approachable.

ConsThere is no clear direction for growth potential.

Advice to Senior Managementhave very clear hr policies and recruiting process

Working at the Brennan Library has pushed me to improve my communications and organizational skills; I love working here

Student Library Aide (Current Employee)

ProsSince I'm usually dealing with other students, the environment is pretty relaxed and I feel like I can work at my own pace. Most of the tasks are simple after you've done it for a while. As long as you finish all your duties, the supervisors won't be too hard on you if you choose to spend the rest of your time finishing important academic projects. If you continue working there every semester, the salary gets raised every year no matter the skill level. I also think my co-workers are all super nice people and my supervisors are extremely friendly.

ConsDepending on the time of the shift, the library can get very busy and hectic. I used to work during the afternoons and it became hard to fulfill my general duties as well as help students find books. It's important to be able to multi-task during those shifts. Another bad thing is that there is usually only one student per shift so there aren't many chances to strengthen relationships between co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have much feedback to give to management/supervisors because they do a good job to informing student workers of any new policies and changes. Sometimes I do feel like the way things are set up could be changed to be more efficient. For example, when I am shelving books or shelf reading, I find it time consuming and bothersome to not be able to see the call # directly on the binding of the book. Instead, I spend time taking the book out of the shelf to see the call # near the binding area of the book but on the front cover side. It's a small issue but if all the books could have the call # on the binding, it would be much easier to complete the tasks.

Worked for Lasell College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lasell College reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Lasell College employees.