Laser Quest

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

F. Gregory Thompson

Challenging, rewarding, and worth the hard work.

ProsClose-knit organizational structure.
    Friendly Home Office support.
    Top-notch training.
    Clear communication of expectations.

ConsDealing with challenging Customers.
    Very dependent on part-time employees.
    Part-time wages not competitive enough.

Great Experience the entertainment field

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, training is great. Never boring on the weekends. Get to meet new people all the time. Home office is always there to help in any way. Company likes to promote with in and many opportunities to travel.

ConsBesides occasional long hours and being alone during the days when not open to the public not really anything bad to say.

Best Time of my Life

Crew/Tech (Former Employee) Mesquite, TX

ProsI absolutely loved my co-workers! They were flat out amazing! This is the best job I've ever had. You will not regret anything about this place! It will seriously change your life! The absolute most fun I've ever had. I shed many tears when my location shut down. . I am still very close friends with some!

ConsThe only con would be the pay rate. Would be better if made more money but it's a great job to have during high school. Sometimes college.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring the people you are hiring and they will love it. Give more of a heads up if closing branch. Don't just come in one day and say sorry, this branch us shut down, effective en immediately.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly atmosphere

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAs a manager Laser Quest showed me how go from an ordinary manager to an exceptional one and how to give the best customer service possible.

ConsSince the company is small and doesn't have many locations, there's not a lot of opportunities to move up.

Expect lots of fun and lots of hard work

Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Co-workers and Management. They spend a lot of time training you to be prepared to handle anything from a teenager filled lock-in to a elementary age birthday party. I always felt like I could handle any customer complaint and my management had my back.

ConsYou need to have high energy all the time and not expect any breaks. Some days you work long shifts and have to stay until the center is completely clean before you can go home. You stay until the job is done, not just until your shift if over.

Advice to Senior Managementnone-management is flexible with schedules and generous with free employee game passes

Wow, great environment, excellent training, overall cares about people on an individual basis

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosoverall focus on making a fun and safe environment for customers.

Consdifficult to answer phones when super busy, however you know that you need to to help book future business.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional systems and tracking take away from the ability to WOW the customers

A formative learning experience for which I was desperately underpaid.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsExceptionally well-executed focus on training, with proprietary modules and access to a lending library of team and personal improvement learning material.
    Strong corporate preference for promoting from within, fairly large lower-management turnover rate means pretty good chance for advancement.
    Profit sharing for every single employee (beginning after 3 month probation for new hires)
    Understanding of and flexible around student schedules (as much as possible).
    High energy playful atmosphere, familial feeling between staff and management.

ConsEven in the highest grossing Centre in the company, with regular customers such as Google and Steve Young, and solidly double the workflow demands of any other location in the company, the starting pay is insultingly low, with miniscule annual raises and, generally, no merit based raises (obviously no repercussions for asking, but I was told "We don't give merit-based pay increases."). I worked incredibly hard there, and was paid less than an entry level call-center employee would expect to receive on day one.

Bottom line: great job for high school students...no desk to get stuck behind and competetive pay for that age range.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to end your marriage to your nice, cozy, comfy procedural ops. It should be telling to you that every time a member of upper management came to visit, each and every one of them would leave talking about how they hadn't believed without seeing it, but that running day-to-day ops by the book really was impossible when business was as high as ours was...and you must understand, not all of those changes were a result of necessity AFTER business levels grew...some of them were changes that were made THAT CONTRIBUTED to the growth of revenue.

Also, your practice of maintaining hourly assistant managers as de facto full time employees without awarding insurance benefits is borderline at best. I was "hourly" and "part time," but it was made clear that my requests for time off or use of my right to call in sick were near-unacceptable...which is fine, and necessary due to the nature of the business, but is unacceptable at $13/hr and no benefits.

It's a fun job, sparse hours for most of the employees who are part-time crew, but very good for students and flexible.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- very entertaining job, lots of fun and requires a lot of energy
    - Usually very flexible with students' school schedules
    - Good place to get your first job as a crew member
    - good training programs
    - free passes to play every month!

Cons- some customers get mega stressed out about their parties and take it out on you when it doesn't go exactly how they want
    - not much money
    - no benefits unless you are a salaried manager, in which case expect to be overworked anyway
    - very little room for advancement (unless you want to move across the country)
    - a lot of things are out of date/take a long time to fix/bunch of bugs due to the company doing their best to cut corners
    - also rough on management sometimes, who already having a ton of things to do on the retail level...seriously, reviews could never get done on time

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to CORPORATE: if you want a "world class experience," don't be so cheap!

General Manager

Prosa fun place to work

Conscan't run it as is needed

Best job i could've had in High School

Crew Member (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat work environment
    Super Fun
    Hours are perfect for students

ConsOvernighters could sometimes be overwhelming

Worked for Laser Quest? Contribute to the Community!