Laser Quest Reviews

F. Gregory Thompson

Good High school job

Former Employee - Marshal in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Marshal in Akron, OH

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers are very flexible with scheduling, fun job, family atmosphere

Cons

Minimum wage and part time hours nights and weekends and dealing with sassy party moms

Let employees work more than 25 hours a week

Worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a fun job when you're working by yourself. It's easy to pick up and if you're a fast learner, you'll pick it up pretty fast.

Cons

-Minimum wage.
    -Poor hours.
    -RUDE management.
    -NO communication.
    -Have zero respect for their employees.
    -Promote the most under-qualified employees to managers because they HAVE to promote from within, rather than hiring from outside.
    -They don't understand why their turnover rate is so high when they treat their employees like dirt.
    -If you're "too good" at your job, you'll be reprimanded repeatedly for being "too efficient" because it makes the employees who have been there longer than you "feel uncomfortable".
    -They don't value good, honest, hard-work.
    -Management gossips like a bunch of old ladies.

Raise your wages, teach your centers to hire better employees, and stop expecting us to go the extra mile when you tell us that we aren't supposed to do ANYTHING without first clearing it with a manager.

A very blah experience

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Laser Quest full-time

Pros

High energy and fun environment when everyone is in a good mood
    Good work life balance (if you have a competent team)
    You have the chance to work with some excellent young people

Cons

Communication between departments isn't very good and too much gets thrown out all at once.
    Not a ton of support from the company when doing sales
    Upper level/Senior Management doesn't always know what is going on within the centre

Challenging, rewarding, and worth the hard work.

I have been working at Laser Quest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close-knit organizational structure.
    Friendly Home Office support.
    Top-notch training.
    Clear communication of expectations.

Cons

Dealing with challenging Customers.
    Very dependent on part-time employees.
    Part-time wages not competitive enough.

Great Experience the entertainment field

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Laser Quest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, training is great. Never boring on the weekends. Get to meet new people all the time. Home office is always there to help in any way. Company likes to promote with in and many opportunities to travel.

Cons

Besides occasional long hours and being alone during the days when not open to the public not really anything bad to say.

Best Time of my Life

Former Employee - Crew/Tech in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Crew/Tech in Mesquite, TX

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my co-workers! They were flat out amazing! This is the best job I've ever had. You will not regret anything about this place! It will seriously change your life! The absolute most fun I've ever had. I shed many tears when my location shut down. . I am still very close friends with some!

Cons

The only con would be the pay rate. Would be better if made more money but it's a great job to have during high school. Sometimes college.

Keep hiring the people you are hiring and they will love it. Give more of a heads up if closing branch. Don't just come in one day and say sorry, this branch us shut down, effective en immediately.

Friendly atmosphere

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a manager Laser Quest showed me how go from an ordinary manager to an exceptional one and how to give the best customer service possible.

Cons

Since the company is small and doesn't have many locations, there's not a lot of opportunities to move up.

Expect lots of fun and lots of hard work

Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Co-workers and Management. They spend a lot of time training you to be prepared to handle anything from a teenager filled lock-in to a elementary age birthday party. I always felt like I could handle any customer complaint and my management had my back.

Cons

You need to have high energy all the time and not expect any breaks. Some days you work long shifts and have to stay until the center is completely clean before you can go home. You stay until the job is done, not just until your shift if over.

none-management is flexible with schedules and generous with free employee game passes

Wow, great environment, excellent training, overall cares about people on an individual basis

I worked at Laser Quest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

overall focus on making a fun and safe environment for customers.

Cons

difficult to answer phones when super busy, however you know that you need to to help book future business.

Additional systems and tracking take away from the ability to WOW the customers

A formative learning experience for which I was desperately underpaid.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptionally well-executed focus on training, with proprietary modules and access to a lending library of team and personal improvement learning material.
    Strong corporate preference for promoting from within, fairly large lower-management turnover rate means pretty good chance for advancement.
    Profit sharing for every single employee (beginning after 3 month probation for new hires)
    Understanding of and flexible around student schedules (as much as possible).
    High energy playful atmosphere, familial feeling between staff and management.

Cons

Even in the highest grossing Centre in the company, with regular customers such as Google and Steve Young, and solidly double the workflow demands of any other location in the company, the starting pay is insultingly low, with miniscule annual raises and, generally, no merit based raises (obviously no repercussions for asking, but I was told "We don't give merit-based pay increases."). I worked incredibly hard there, and was paid less than an entry level call-center employee would expect to receive on day one.

Bottom line: great job for high school students...no desk to get stuck behind and competetive pay for that age range.

You have to end your marriage to your nice, cozy, comfy procedural ops. It should be telling to you that every time a member of upper management came to visit, each and every one of them would leave talking about how they hadn't believed without seeing it, but that running day-to-day ops by the book really was impossible when business was as high as ours was...and you must understand, not all of those changes were a result of necessity AFTER business levels grew...some of them were changes that were made THAT CONTRIBUTED to the growth of revenue.

Also, your practice of maintaining hourly assistant managers as de facto full time employees without awarding insurance benefits is borderline at best. I was "hourly" and "part time," but it was made clear that my requests for time off or use of my right to call in sick were near-unacceptable...which is fine, and necessary due to the nature of the business, but is unacceptable at $13/hr and no benefits.