Last Call by Neiman Marcus

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
2.5

Karen Katz

Great job for 4 years until a spoke out against management.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator  in  Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Last Call by Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, benefits, career advancement if they like you and tons of fun competition. Fundraising every year for multiple companies. Pot luck for dinner and dessert plus department manager will take you out for dinner or lunch. Employees are the best I've ever worked with.

Cons

No accountability, horrible schedules, rude customers, 1 manager holds 5 positions and if they like you personally it's a easy job. You could be on time every day but your coworker doesn't have to be and you receive the same raise.

Listen to your employees and learn about respect.

Part-time Associate

I worked at Last Call by Neiman Marcus part-time

Pros

It was a great college job.

Cons

Mangement could be worked on, as well as communication.

Ok Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Last Call by Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get to interact with all origin of people. Great Co- Workers. Full Time Work. Pay is just enough to live and pay bills.

Cons

No Overtime. No Growth for Regular Employee only for those that's in Management. Will Not Promote Within. A Rat Race

Promote Within We As Employees know what the customer needs and knows the business very well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you fit in...

I have been working at Last Call by Neiman Marcus for more than 8 years

Pros

Working for Neiman Marcus Last Call. Its still Neiman Marcus.

Cons

Management has it favorites and if you aren't...then you aren't
    They make the rules as they go. Changes to schedules without notice. Lack of compassion regarding personal issues.
    No room for growth

I was thrilled at first to work for Neiman Marcus. That has changed with time. Uphold standards with every one not just select few while allowing others to stand around "looking pretty" waiting for sales while others do work that needs to be done as well as sale. Make it easier for us to communicate with our customers on a personal level. If the company sends out an email and we have to send the same email AGAIN to them they are going to STOP looking at even our emails. When we send them out to the ones we know it is personal and not generic. Please stop blasting 13 emails a day to customers. I can not even begin to tell you how many complaints we receive from customers about the massive amount of emails they get a day! That they just send to their junk box and never even look at. The funny thing is that they get upset when they missed a good sale because they are tired of all of the emails. Allow your systems to connect to each other so we don't have to ask them for their information when they have given it to 3 or 4 other stores! The aggravation they give borders on hostile. They think if they give it once they shouldn't have to repeat it over and over.
    You have training tutorials we are able to apply for to make us better as sales people and prepare us for bigger and better things...ALLOW us to actual be able to use it! You would retain a better staff longer if they knew they were working towards something. I do love my job. I don not love the lack of support to better ourselves. The lack of support from management when customers are obviously in the wrong. It make us look completely incompetent.
    Please have department managers discuss with each other what is being done and where. So that once something has been done to satisfy one manager it doesn't have to be redone to satisfy another. And on the same day!
    Fix the things that need to be fixed physically in the store. Give us the merchandise you will not find at Marshall's or other discount stores. Its not very fun to be compared to THE RACK!
    Try to come in when you are not expected, or send someone in that they don't know and see what really happens. You have seen the show "Undercover Boss"? Just an idea, but you really need to know what really goes on when things are not "prepared" for you.
    And if you are a good sales person or a great sales person to be stuck in sales just because you a good at what you do. Can you imagine what would happen if those sales people taught others? Please don't penalize one because they are good at what they do, reward them.
    Allow for growth, learning and to be mentored. Not just in your executive levels but where it counts. On the ground floor with the ones who know what works, us, your staff.

They let poor performance slide way too long

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Last Call by Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, especially at management level.

Cons

Poor performance issues like tardiness, unproductivity, gossip, ect take too long for Human Resources to address. By the time it finally is addressed, it's out of hand. There is also the constant quiet "threat" of calling "associate relations" if redirected. Talk about retaliation. Any sort of redirection ah so ok'd by corporate management. Empower your people, did you hire them to sit on their hands?!

Too many "executives" in the store is like having too many roosters in the hen house.

Good job for the meantime

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Last Call by Neiman Marcus part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, staff is friendly and fun to be around. Nice discount, even applies to clearance.

Cons

There is little room for upward mobility. Hours are long, and weekends are required. Management is very lenient on tardiness and underperformers, this is not ideal when you have to stay late because someone didn't show up.

Make sure to value employees that work hard.

Great company to work for, pay is an issue

Current Employee - Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Last Call by Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Designer names, discounts. Coworkers

Cons

Is very unusual that they promote within.

Go for retail only if u have a lot of connectios.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Last Call by Neiman Marcus part-time for less than a year

Pros

Schedule. Flexible. Cash handling skill.

Cons

Pay. Horrible pay. Management is horrible. Too much favoritism at the store. Store manager dont say Hi or hello to some employees.
    You have to work on black friday!!
    No benefits for short hour employees.

Inept managers

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at Last Call by Neiman Marcus full-time for less than a year

Pros

clean store, made some good friends

Cons

there are too many managers, and most of them have no experience or education; only judge you by your sales numbers even though they aren't an accurate portrayal of your work. no commission or training. management is a complete mess and has no idea how to run a store.

go back to school and learn how to do your job, or quit and work somewhere else. also, dont say you will help a sales associate advance when really you sabotage their chances of promotion so you dont lose them and have to hire someone else. and please stop lying to employees by telling them just what they want to hear. also, be pickier with who you hire; dont hire trashy people. fire the dumb, rude, dramatic employees that make everyone miserable.

If they like you, you're good...

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator  in  Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Last Call by Neiman Marcus for more than 10 years

Pros

In the LP department, the scheduling is REALLY flexible for everybody. They rotate weekends, you just write your requests on the office calendar and you get it...EXTREMELY rare if you don't (only declines would be to others requesting it off or a major store event, like Inventory or a new arrival event of some kind). Its a really laid back atmosphere and the 4-5 people in the department are pretty close and work well together, its not a clique though. Good hours, open is: 830-500, mid is 1000-630, closing is 115-945-ish. Not a physical job in anyway, and no pressure to catch cases.

Cons

Being such a small department, its nearly impossible to call out because then you screw someone else out of their day off or they have to work a double shift. Pay is low but better than companies like Sears, Wal-Mart. Full-time is 37.5 hours instead of 40 hours and there is NO overtime...very rare to even get the chance for overtime. Paychecks are every other Friday. The ONLY way for a promotion is to transfer to a full line Neiman Marcus store. As an associate, to make a purchase with your discount, you need to pay by cash, check or Neiman Marcus credit card ONLY!!!

LP audits are done weekly and monthly but aren't too horrible to do. Pay raises are every August no matter when your hire date is, and at least for LP, .25 cents is the max.

Associates can be annoying when they come to the window and ask for stuff (scanners, stamps, etc). Insurance is getting worse and worse each year. Annual company biometric screenings are a joke!! They're not even accurate with my "real" doctor.

To be vague, as long as your good with the LP/OPs manager, store manager, and HR manager, you'll be fine. If one or more of them hate you, your done. Drama with the sales associates is up and down and the associates themselves are a mix of people (the good, the bad, and the ugly). People (associates and a few dept. managers WILL throw you under the bus in a heartbeat for the stupidest stuff. On a side note, most of our cashiers are SLOW in ringing up their transactions, lines back-up, etc.

Give people a chance, rotate people to other store or positions. Just because someone has been here for 10+ years, doesn't mean they're a good associate. Too many old timers here.

Worked for Last Call by Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!