Latham & Watkins

Latham & Watkins Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Latham & Watkins Chairman and Managing Partner Bob Dell

Bob Dell

Pros
  • Very social and nice people as far as law firms go(in 11 reviews)

• Filled with really great people who care and intelligent folks who enjoy doing a good job(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours can be brutal and just like any other big law firm, you are expected to do the work and not complain(in 6 reviews)

• Like any other top law firm, they own you - and you will be expected to give everything you have(in 10 reviews)

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was a legal secretary

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat law firm; great name and can go elsewhere with it to smaller places; good people and no screamers, just very nice people

Consunreasonable staffing numbers for some assistants because the headcount isn't what it once was; we need about 15 extra people in my office to get everything done in the time they want it

Good firm, but not a good place for a long term career

Senior Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLook, these are smart folks. It's a hell of franchise, a fairly well run place, and it's true that the culture is better than other places. Compensation was fair and my bonuses were generally above market. That said, I have to say that I came away with more cons than pros and my experience just left a bad taste in my mouth overall

Conswhere do I start? not enough career opportunities, backstabbing culture, cliquey culture that is based on which group you end up practicing with.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not really in a position to give them any advice. If you aren't in the club, you're on the outside looking in. And from the outside, management looks to be doing a pretty good job. I just wish that that didn't mean killing people's careers. There were some of us who clearly made the wrong decision starting our careers off at Latham, but I'm not bitter; eventually you reap, what you sow.

For a big law firm, it's as good as it gets.

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood compensation, prestigious, good group of people

Conslong and unpredictable hours, demanding clients

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run the other way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Filled with really great people who care and intelligent folks who enjoy doing a good job.
    -Staff are encouraged to reach out to other departments in order to do a good job.
    -Usually a pretty decent work-life balance except during busy times.
    -Lots of opportunities and resources for staff and attorneys like health classes, software refreshers, and some (but not very useful) employee discounts.

Cons-Management leaders are non-genuine, will smile at your face and stab you in the back. They turn employees against each other and create an every-man-for-themselves environment with no sense of loyalty or respect for staff contributions.
    -Also create an environment where everyone is disposable and replaceable.
    -Extremely limited growth in the company -- only chances come to those who are fake and brownie-nose at the expense of their fellow colleagues. So don't even bother with "extra-credit" type opportunities which will be ignored.
    -Leaders are all in cahoots with each other and don't pay any mind to staff, only care about looking good to their higher-ups and catering to attorney whims.
    -Extremely horrible communication where everyone is vague and not clear in explaining future changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a heart and a conscience. Stop looking out only for yourselves.

Well-run until economy turned

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCulture; salary; big interesting deals; smart people; lots of retreats. Also had the opportunity to work with many of the other offices.

ConsManagement did not handle the mass layoffs (45% including stealths) in 2009 well and many are still feeling the effects.

Great company but huge machine

Legal Secretary (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Excellent benefits compared to other companies
    -One of the things the firm has going for it is its fantastic culture which is really collegial with great people.
    -Lots of opportunities to make yourself stand out.

Cons-Unless you're an attorney or someone higher up in the staff, you're just another cog in the machine.
    -Work you do is not valued and does not contribute to success of firm.
    -Relationships between staff and management can be a bit political.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

As far as Big Law goes its a prett good place to work

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome of the best people on a pure legal skills basis and personality wise. Always treated with respect and a great teaching environment. People are willing to invest in your education and growth as an attorney.

ConsStill basically a sweatshop. You will work a ton of house and be a slave to the whims of the firm's clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop expanding and chasing the latest trends. Focus on the people and training and client service will follow the top notch work.

My Experience at Latham & Watkins was life changing.

Legal Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI worked with an amazing group of people.

ConsI didn't find anything wrong with this company.

Best place to work in a law firm

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsCareer development, comraderie, great benefits, work life balance

ConsI have no cons for this employer

unprofessional and clique-ish work environment

Reference Librarian (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosdecent salary and employee benefits

Consgossipy and clique-ish culture made for an unprofessional working environment

Advice to Senior Managementit's a law firm so it's hopelessly stratified. Staff are meaningless.

Worked for Latham & Watkins? Contribute to the Community!