Latham & Watkins Reviews

Reset
3.4
Latham & Watkins Global Chair & Managing Partner William Voge
William Voge

Pros
  • Very social and nice people as far as law firms go (in 12 reviews)

• Filled with really great people who care and intelligent folks who enjoy doing a good job (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours can be brutal and just like any other big law firm, you are expected to do the work and not complain (in 6 reviews)

• Like any other top law firm, they own you - and you will be expected to give everything you have (in 10 reviews)

1. Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the firm and the people and management.

Cons

It's still Biglaw - long hours and nothing is interesting at 2AM

Friendly, professional

Current Employee - Paralegal I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Paralegal I in New York, NY

I have been working at Latham & Watkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly; unpleasant people get fired quickly, or never make it through the door in the first place. It is not an internally competitive workplace; people work together as a team to get the job done rather than competing with one another to look good. There is a high level of professionalism - people are honest about what is or is not possible in a certain time-frame, and then deliver on their deadlines. You get your own office.

Cons

The paralegal job can be lonely. The way it is structured means that there is often very little requirement for face-to-face interactions with colleagues regarding tasks. This, combined with having a personal office, means that there isn't a natural social group that goes with the job. Paralegal offices have no windows.

3. Great firm

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training and CLE programs. Good off-site academies for summers, first years and every other class year. Upward reviews are a plus.

Cons

The hours tend to be long - as is typical of any big firm especially in NYC.

5. Legal Secretary

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Latham & Watkins (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large majority of the lawyers are humane.

Cons

Don't pay well. Other firms pay 10 to 20k more. Manager is a yes [wo]man.

Advice to Management

pay better

Used to be great...

Former Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Departmental get-togethers at professional conferences were a great way to get together and share ideas, advice, experiences.

Cons

As someone else said, leaders are all in cahoots with each other and don't pay any mind to staff, only care about looking good to their higher-ups and catering to attorney whims. Insecure, nervous administrators neither lead nor help their managers, but, rather, set them impossible tasks and then watch while the managers either make them (the admins) look good, or drown. Senior management withheld raises and bonuses based on single events, not on year-long developments.

Good firm, but not a good place for a long term career

Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Look, these are smart folks. It's a hell of franchise, a fairly well run place, and it's true that the culture is better than other places. Compensation was fair and my bonuses were generally above market. That said, I have to say that I came away with more cons than pros and my experience just left a bad taste in my mouth overall

Cons

where do I start? not enough career opportunities, backstabbing culture, cliquey culture that is based on which group you end up practicing with.

Advice to Management

I'm not really in a position to give them any advice. If you aren't in the club, you're on the outside looking in. And from the outside, management looks to be doing a pretty good job. I just wish that that didn't mean killing people's careers. There were some of us who clearly made the wrong decision starting our careers off at Latham, but I'm not bitter; eventually you reap, what you sow.

8. For a big law firm, it's as good as it gets.

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good compensation, prestigious, good group of people

Cons

long and unpredictable hours, demanding clients

Run the other way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Filled with really great people who care and intelligent folks who enjoy doing a good job. -Staff are encouraged to reach out to other departments in order to do a good job. -Usually a pretty decent work-life balance except during busy times. -Lots of opportunities and resources for staff and attorneys like health classes, software refreshers, and some (but not very useful) employee discounts.

Cons

-Management leaders are non-genuine, will smile at your face and stab you in the back. They turn employees against each other and create an every-man-for-themselves environment with no sense of loyalty or respect for staff contributions. -Also create an environment where everyone is disposable and replaceable. -Extremely limited growth in the company -- only chances come to those who are fake and brownie-nose at the expense of their fellow colleagues. So don't even bother with "extra-credit" type opportunities which will be ignored. -Leaders are all in cahoots with each other and don't pay any mind to staff, only care about looking good to their higher-ups and catering to attorney whims. -Extremely horrible communication where everyone is vague and not clear in explaining future changes.

Advice to Management

Grow a heart and a conscience. Stop looking out only for yourselves.

Well-run until economy turned

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time

Pros

Culture; salary; big interesting deals; smart people; lots of retreats. Also had the opportunity to work with many of the other offices.

Cons

Management did not handle the mass layoffs (45% including stealths) in 2009 well and many are still feeling the effects.

11. As far as Big Law goes its a prett good place to work

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people on a pure legal skills basis and personality wise. Always treated with respect and a great teaching environment. People are willing to invest in your education and growth as an attorney.

Cons

Still basically a sweatshop. You will work a ton of house and be a slave to the whims of the firm's clients.

Advice to Management

Stop expanding and chasing the latest trends. Focus on the people and training and client service will follow the top notch work.

RSS Feed </> Embed