Lathrop & Gage

1 Rating

Great Place and Great People

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant/Patent in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant/Patent in Boston, MA

I worked at Lathrop & Gage as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice to work in a place in a place where everyone is cordial, professional and very helpful. Although my time at Lathrop was short, it was very enjoyable and a place I would definitely return to without hesitation.

Cons

Don't have any cons about Lathrop & Gage. Each office/firm is different and with that comes different expectations and realities. I like to focus on the positive and leave the negatives at the front door before I enter. Lathrop gets a gold star in my book.

Management is very involved and aware of each person's needs and requirements. My experience was a great one.

Very unsatisfying and degrading career move.

I worked at Lathrop & Gage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, for the most part (always exceptions). Excellent benefits and perks.

Cons

Company is too large and not personal enough. Upper management allows lower management to control too much without the input of more timekeepers. Lower management too influenced by a clique.

Ensure at least 80% of the timekeepers are in agreement about an employee's work. Allow the employee an opportunity to respond to criticism. Don't allow your personnel people to set unrealistic expectations.

Great atmosphere, great people, great pay, great benefits!

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Lathrop & Gage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great, attorneys always willing to help. Great pay and benefits. Best law firm I have ever worked at. Can't say enough about them.

Cons

Honestly, I can't really think of any cons. I have never had any issues, they are always understanding when a child is sick or you want time off. The attorneys and staff are truly awesome.

Make sure to know what you're in for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Lathrop & Gage full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and pay.
    A good place to get your feet wet in Legal IT and the technologies used.

Cons

Long hours. If you don't work them, you're not considered a "good fit".
    Very little consistent technology direction. Priorities will shift overnight.
    Heavy micro-management.
    No accountability, especially for employees of longer tenure.
    Disorganization in general.
    Lots of petty inter-office politics and backstabbing.

Stop blaming employees for bad management decisions. If you're going to preach ITIL change methodology, please stick to it 100% of the time. No last minute undocumented changes that will end up being blamed on the rank and file.

Bad IT Environment

Former Employee - Applications Specialist
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist

I worked at Lathrop & Gage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was good on the surface. There was opportunity to apply different skill sets and learn. Life outside of the IT department was good. Company overall treated you like a person and not a number.

Cons

Bad IT management from the top down. Inexperienced or just bad at being a leader\manager. Some of the managment aren't even techinical at the most basic level. Managment has no understanding of proper project planning and resource balancing. 65-80 hr weeks are common. A short week is 55 hours. Managment rules by title alone. They do not consult with the IT staff much when making decisions. Timelines of projects are pipedreams and driven mostly by ego and not valid business drivers. Too much worry about being involved with ILTA and not enough focus on their own firm's needs. A lot of obvious favoritism. No appreciation for employees putting in long hours week after week. If managment ever has concerns with you, you will be tried and judged without ever being given any specifics let alone a chance to present your case.

Learn your limits. Understand you do not understand project managment. Stop calling out employess publicly with ridiculous and inaccurate assumptions. Hire managment that actually understands the basics of technology. Stop telling people who put in 65-80 hours a week they aren't working hard enough. Understand people have lives outside of work just as you do. Quit worrying about ILTA. ILTA does not pay you, Lathrop does. Grow a backbone and learn to confront employess properly and professionaly. Not hide behind your pre-coneived notions which were proven to be inaccurate time after time. Realize that just because you carry "Manager" or CIO" as a title doesn't mean you know everything or more than your staff by default. And most of all, practice what you preach to others. There is no bigger sign of a bad leader than one who cannot follow his own orders.