LatinWorks Reviews

Manny Flores

1. Art Director

Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks

Pros

Great Place :) love the environment.

Cons

Still is sad to see some mean-girl mentality. Not enough creative training!!!!

2. Account Management

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very nice and friendly which provides a fun work environment.

Lots of fun perks such as tickets to events, happy hours, and if you work on the right account, you can do some really fun and cool stuff.

It's a great place to start your career in advertising/marketing but not a place to stay at for long.

Cons

Lots of favoritism and large ego's to deal with. President hates account management and it shows in the overall attitude of the agency as well as interaction between account management and the creative department.

Advertising can be a volatile industry in general so always keep you resume updated in case they lose an account because layoffs will be coming.

Their yearly company review system which determines your bonus is based on your overall personality fit with the company and is completed by your coworkers. However, it is instead very much a "favoritism" review. So if you rub people the wrong way but do a great job, be prepared for a tough review and smaller bonus.

Creatives don't really get promoted from within. Most higher up creatives are brought in from other agencies so you have to leave in order to climb the ladder. Also, the planning department is pretty male dominated and women don't tend to stay long or they are unhappy.

Also, if you get promoted, be prepared to really fight for the salary you want. You might have to look elsewhere to get what you are worth as they are known to have very low paying salaries.

Very top heavy agency with upper management sucking up salaries that could be used to bring in and keep more young and eager talent.

Advice to Management

Develop a better review system based on actual performance versus how much your coworkers like you and like to work with you.

Yearly cost of living raises would be nice as well as decent merit raises when promoted instead of low ball pay increases and dragging out the raise process.

3. It was a fun and fast paced place to work at. I was there for a full year as an Account Management Intern.

Former Employee - Account Management Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks

Pros

Great culture and feeling. They have a lot of good accounts and opportunities.

Cons

Once an intern always an intern. There are some groups that are cliquish.

Advice to Management

The fun activities are great and all but you need to recognize your key employees a little more.

5. Think Twice and Think Hard ....Not the place to Grow

Former Employee - Account Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks

Pros

Beautiful office in downtown Austin, (although they're moving in a few months), Amazing Co-Workers, Yearly bonus, and breakfast tacos.

Cons

Upper management that lacks vision and has horribly mismanaged agency resources and personnel, even worse they preach transparency and don't quite know the meaning of the word. Tyrannical president who is stuck in his old school ways and believes in working you to the bone, at all levels, which has led to a lack of culture. Growth Opportunities and training provided only to a chosen few selected by management. Year over year lay-offs, 45+ in 2014, currently 20+ and counting since January 2015. Unstable.

Advice to Management

The current executive team cannot make changes to a culture they've created and continue to foster.

6. Avoid

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, great location, annual bonuses, Taco Friday, smart / fun people

Cons

Management lacks agency background/experience, rampant firings, layoffs & resignations, no work/life balance, gossip, mean girl mentality. No matter how hard you work or how well you're respected by your peers, you can be fired or laid off without warning or reason.

Advice to Management

Would benefit from looking to other agencies and agency leaders for agency-specific management, culture development, etc.

7. A wonderful opportunity for learning and growth

Current Employee - Media in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Media in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been an employee of LatinWorks for over a year and a half now and couldn't be more thankful to work with such a great, talented group of people. The culture is everything here at LatinWorks. Everyone is passionate about what they are doing and it shows in the work that is produced. I am proud to be a LatinWorker. One of the best parts of working at LatinWorks is the ongoing opportunity for growth. Aside from my daily responsibilities, I have always had the opportunity to work outside my discipline helping to improve my personal as well as professional worth. In my five years in the industry, LatinWorks has contributed a great deal to my professional growth. I think it is a great career opportunity no matter what level you're at in your career. I also really appreciate that the leadership team seems to take the time to make sure that all employees are heard and from my perspective, are always working hard to make improvements for the people of LatinWorks.

Cons

While I have had the opportunity to learn a lot from the amazing people around me, it would be wonderful if there would be more opportunities for departmental training. I think that there is always room for improvement and we could all benefit from having additional training, that is sourced from outside the company.

Great place with exceptional people!

Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is the absolute best part of LatinWorks. Great people make great teams and the passion for the work is evident in everything we do. Fun, laid back environment. Really great accounts to work on. Management's vision is instilled in everything we do.

Cons

Overall everyone here works hard. If you are looking for a place where you can just kick back and fly under the radar - this isn't the place for you. It definitely has a "work hard play hard" mentality and everyone pulls their weight.

9. Great culture, good people & hard work.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LatinWorks has done a great job of instilling a unique company culture. Once a week for about 15 - 30 minutes every employee gathers for agency updates/announcements and a casual discussion over breakfast. In addition, the people who you work with each day truly do live the vision of the company and continue challenging themselves to create better work. Each discipline is integrated and is not discipline centric which is extremely helpful when working toward the same goal.

Cons

At time the work-life balance can be challenging but the reward in the end truly does give you & your team a sense of satisfaction when you exceed expectations of the client.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead the agency and nurture each relationship with every client, keeping our agency vision in mind.

Like a Monet - looks great from the outside, pretty terrible once you work there.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still thinking about it...Taco Friday?

Cons

Lack of communication from leadership team; no transparency; bad people management.

They claim to have a vision but they don't live up to it - and it's aslo a vision they have difficulty explaining; clearly not a good one.
    They take advantage of employees. No life and work balance at all. And any type of reward or promotion is based on popularity contest.
    Would not recommend it to anyone unless they get rid of all the leadership team.

11. Creative Internship a great first experience

Former Intern - Creative Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Creative Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative team values input. Interns get to work for the clients on current pitches and daily social media maintenance. Real work experience.

Cons

Limited hours of pay for each internship, but expected to work "overtime". Some office politics made interacting with different departments awkward and even uncomfortable since the interns are caught in the middle.

Advice to Management

Although it was a great experience brainstorming with other interns, I feel the internship would have been more beneficial if the interns were also integrated into other team brainstorms, to see different creatives' processes