LatinWorks Reviews

LatinWorks CEO Manny Flores
Manny Flores

1. Awesome environment and collaborative team

I worked at LatinWorks

Pros

They actually take the time to get you acclimated to the culture and with your team. You're surrounded by smart, hard working people who genuinely enjoy working there.

Cons

I didn't experience any while I was there

Looks good on the outside, but terrible once you're there

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Summer Fridays (half day ever other Friday during the summer)
    -Extended Christmas Holiday
    -Laid back environment. Can dress casual, work from home if needed, etc.
    -well known clients

I find that the pros at this agency are overshadowed by the cons. Avoid this agency like the plague.

Cons

Although LatinWorks is known for being one of the best ad agencies in Austin, my experience at LatinWorks (after previously working for 3 other agencies in the area) was absolutely terrible. I will NEVER refer someone to work here in the future. Here are some of the many issues I had during my time with LatinWorks:

1. Favoritism and office politics are RIDICULOUS
    - certain departments are clearly favored over others and it is very apparent in company meetings.
    -CEO's do not get along which makes for an awkward work environment

2. Salary is TERRIBLE. If you plan on living in a box for the rest of your life, LatinWorks is the perfect place for you! Austin is a growing city and with that comes rising rent yet LatinWorks thinks it is acceptable to pay employees terribly and give laughable raises. Went to another job in Austin withing the advertising industry and got a 35% raise for a same level position.

3. Promotions are based on tenure, not merit or ability to do a job well. My boss literally told me it would be 2 - 3 years before I could even be considered for a raise because that's how long you should be at a certain level. However, other departments give promotions left and right, but no raise to go along with that promotion. Essentially they will throw more work on you without so much as a 1K increase.

4. No work life balance. This place works you to the bone. You will be miserable. Having a half day every other Friday during the summer isn't even worth it. I worked 60 hour weeks regularly and this ruined my personal life as well as work life because I began to resent going to work every day.

5. Culture is TERRIBLE. The hiring process is an absolute joke but that is also probably because people are leaving left and right and the agency is getting desperate and will basically hire anything with a pulse. People talk about how much they hate their jobs on a daily basis, very negative environment. If you are not hispanic or don't speak Spanish, good luck fitting in here. Incredible cliquey!

6. Agency is losing business and doesn't appear to be winning anything any time soon.

All in all, this agency has a terrible work environment and terrible pay. You will be miserable if you work here, most people are. I got out as fast as I could and I know many of my previous coworkers are right behind me.

Advice to Management

Be careful about the people you are hiring. Hiring people out of desperation is ruining your company culture and making this agency a terrible place to work. Pay your employees more, they work hard and should be compensated fairly. Upper management needs to stop the high school drama and quit playing favorites with certain employees and departments for this agency to get any better.

3. Honored to work here

Current Employee - Copywriter/Graphic Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Copywriter/Graphic Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks

Pros

They have great accounts & a great and talented team. They push for great ideas and you can count on the support of the whole agency to see projects through.

Cons

Job distribution could improve.

If you're looking for a 1 year agency experience.. this is it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks (More than a year)

Pros

Catered food once a week
    People are nice and mean well

Cons

Overworked, underpaid
    Too top heavy. Managers don't do anything and expect everyone else to cover for them

Advice to Management

Focus on who's actually doing the work.

Account Management

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very nice and friendly which provides a fun work environment.

Lots of fun perks such as tickets to events, happy hours, and if you work on the right account, you can do some really fun and cool stuff.

It's a great place to start your career in advertising/marketing but not a place to stay at for long.

Cons

Lots of favoritism and large ego's to deal with. President hates account management and it shows in the overall attitude of the agency as well as interaction between account management and the creative department.

Advertising can be a volatile industry in general so always keep you resume updated in case they lose an account because layoffs will be coming.

Their yearly company review system which determines your bonus is based on your overall personality fit with the company and is completed by your coworkers. However, it is instead very much a "favoritism" review. So if you rub people the wrong way but do a great job, be prepared for a tough review and smaller bonus.

Creatives don't really get promoted from within. Most higher up creatives are brought in from other agencies so you have to leave in order to climb the ladder. Also, the planning department is pretty male dominated and women don't tend to stay long or they are unhappy.

Also, if you get promoted, be prepared to really fight for the salary you want. You might have to look elsewhere to get what you are worth as they are known to have very low paying salaries.

Very top heavy agency with upper management sucking up salaries that could be used to bring in and keep more young and eager talent.

Advice to Management

Develop a better review system based on actual performance versus how much your coworkers like you and like to work with you.

Yearly cost of living raises would be nice as well as decent merit raises when promoted instead of low ball pay increases and dragging out the raise process.

7. Art Director

Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks

Pros

Great Place :) love the environment.

Cons

Still is sad to see some mean-girl mentality. Not enough creative training!!!!

8. It was a fun and fast paced place to work at. I was there for a full year as an Account Management Intern.

Former Employee - Account Management Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks

Pros

Great culture and feeling. They have a lot of good accounts and opportunities.

Cons

Once an intern always an intern. There are some groups that are cliquish.

Advice to Management

The fun activities are great and all but you need to recognize your key employees a little more.

Think Twice and Think Hard ....Not the place to Grow

Former Employee - Account Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks

Pros

Beautiful office in downtown Austin, (although they're moving in a few months), Amazing Co-Workers, Yearly bonus, and breakfast tacos.

Cons

Upper management that lacks vision and has horribly mismanaged agency resources and personnel, even worse they preach transparency and don't quite know the meaning of the word. Tyrannical president who is stuck in his old school ways and believes in working you to the bone, at all levels, which has led to a lack of culture. Growth Opportunities and training provided only to a chosen few selected by management. Year over year lay-offs, 45+ in 2014, currently 20+ and counting since January 2015. Unstable.

Advice to Management

The current executive team cannot make changes to a culture they've created and continue to foster.

10. Avoid

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, great location, annual bonuses, Taco Friday, smart / fun people

Cons

Management lacks agency background/experience, rampant firings, layoffs & resignations, no work/life balance, gossip, mean girl mentality. No matter how hard you work or how well you're respected by your peers, you can be fired or laid off without warning or reason.

Advice to Management

Would benefit from looking to other agencies and agency leaders for agency-specific management, culture development, etc.

11. A wonderful opportunity for learning and growth

Current Employee - Media in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Media in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been an employee of LatinWorks for over a year and a half now and couldn't be more thankful to work with such a great, talented group of people. The culture is everything here at LatinWorks. Everyone is passionate about what they are doing and it shows in the work that is produced. I am proud to be a LatinWorker. One of the best parts of working at LatinWorks is the ongoing opportunity for growth. Aside from my daily responsibilities, I have always had the opportunity to work outside my discipline helping to improve my personal as well as professional worth. In my five years in the industry, LatinWorks has contributed a great deal to my professional growth. I think it is a great career opportunity no matter what level you're at in your career. I also really appreciate that the leadership team seems to take the time to make sure that all employees are heard and from my perspective, are always working hard to make improvements for the people of LatinWorks.

Cons

While I have had the opportunity to learn a lot from the amazing people around me, it would be wonderful if there would be more opportunities for departmental training. I think that there is always room for improvement and we could all benefit from having additional training, that is sourced from outside the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed