Latisys Reviews

1. If you want to enjoy coming to work, this is the place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Latisys

Pros

Culture is amazing and all of the people care about each other. Staff are empowered to affect change and career paths are provided for those who work hard.

Cons

Compensation is below the average

2. The best job in my career

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Latisys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Management and Management Envolvment

Cons

Company acquired... to new to rate

Advice to Management

Positive environment and a big thanks for all the support over the 14 years

3. Great place to work, great people

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Latisys full-time

Pros

Growing company with a clear direction forward. You can get experience with cutting edge technology, and work with some very smart people. The executives genuinely care about their employees.

Cons

Typical problems any sales based organization faces - over promising to customer on deadlines/scope, when the teams doing the implementations simply don't have the resources to deliver. , Technical teams all feel spread thin.

5. Understaffed, Overworked, Broken Promises

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Latisys avoids firing people if they can so job security is pretty good. They are slow to remove the bad eggs. The call center team and management is useless.. The physical data center infrastructure teams have it best.

Cons

Executives are clueless as to how miserable their employees are.

The only thing that gets people through the day is the fact that most everyone are friends with their coworkers. Teams experience mass exodus when they've had enough due to being understaffed, low pay, little education, always being on call and meetings...meetings...meetings with no resolution. There is a history here.

Advice to Management

Directed to the executives, treat your employees like human beings. Pay them standard industry wages instead of like cheap labor. Allow your employees to use the education and skills we have instead of letting them wither. You hired us specifically for these skill sets. Stop treating us like cogs in a wheel.

6. Stability and Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company with excellent career growth for those willing to work hard. Management is flexible around helping maintain a work-life balance. Good benefits for a small company.

Cons

Working across four locations lends room for improved communications. Typical growing pains for a small company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Ignore the negative comments that some individuals have expressed in this forum. They are the disgruntled few and not representative of the majority of employees.

Its work

I have been working at Latisys full-time

Pros

Its work in the technology sector exposing you to a variety of customers, support, and systems.

Cons

Slow to react, update, respond. Like any company fails to communicate well within itself leading to some factional behaviors. Seeks outside help before asking their own employees what is going wrong.

Advice to Management

Seek help from within first, and plan a course of action with feedback that employees provide.

Get your foot in the door, then get out.

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Englewood, CO

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do put some profit back into the datacenter, so you are working with more modern equipment.
    It's a good place to get 6 months to a year of experience.
    Okay solo benefits that are covered by Latisys (Okay health, mediocre dental).

Cons

Another review mentioned the dangling of a carrot to get you to stay with the company - this is still true. You will be told that the company almost always hires from within, and that, "the turnover is 1-2 years, but that's because people are moving up in the company". This could not be further from the truth. Managers of other departments refuse to hire from below, instead preferring third-party candidates or contractors. HR will refuse to allow departments to hire from below because of one bad hire, and will not come up with a solution.
    You will be told that you have every opportunity to move up, but unless you do every little thing in your current position absolutely perfectly, as well as doing a large chunk of the job you are trying to move into, you won't go anywhere. If you do move up, it will be for well below market rate.
    Very poor wages (33%+ below market rate), no 401k match, poor spouse/dependent coverage prices on insurance plans.
    Micromanagement galore from managers miles above your pay grade. Other departments and upper management see the lower technicians and engineers as a great place to dump blame when something goes wrong.
    Upper management is fine with you as long as everything goes exactly right, and nothing happens to go wrong. If something does go wrong, you'd better hope you're covered 3 different ways, or you will be blamed (even if you did everything exactly as you were told).
    Upper management has an annoying refusal to listen to anyone on the lower rungs when they suggest a process improvement or warn of an impending failure, but will happily blame the same employee when said failure happens.
    Direct Managers can send mixed messages (happy conversation with you one moment, and then in less than a day, calling you and threatening written warnings and termination for minor mistakes).

Advice to Management

The current "caste system" in place ("Tier 3, systems, networking, and IT, will hire out of Tier 2. Tier 2 will hire out of the NOC.") is very much broken. The last 4 openings for a Tier 2/3 position I applied for, and for 3 of those 4 positions, I never heard a single word in response (the fourth, I got a very short interview by a very uninterested interviewer, and also had to push -- hard -- for a response, and never officially received one). The internal hiring needs to be done based on knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm, not based on what position you're currently in and how long you've been there.
    Give more internal praise, and less internal scorn. In my time at Latisys, I received multiple "written warnings" (that threatened termination) for very minor incidents. I received only one award, for something that I had to give 200% for. I would've never received any kind of recognition had I not blew away an employee in systems with my knowledge of the deployed systems. Employees in the lower rungs are not noticed at all, until something goes wrong. Then they are happily saddled with the blame, written up, and threatened with termination!
    I was once told that the "written warnings" are used as "learning tools" and that they hold no real bearing on your performance, wages, et cetera. If this is true, then you need to remove the words "grounds for termination" from them. Don't tell me they hold no bearing when the last thing in them is "keep it up and you're binned".

9. Up and coming organization with great people

I have been working at Latisys

Pros

Company culture is great. The work life balance in particular is the best I've had at at any job. There's a very personal "feel" to the company. The CEO, Executives and HR are very approachable. The company cares very much about how employees are doing and how they like working there. The company is also doing very well business wise and is expanding internationally.

Cons

It is a smaller company, but they are growing quickly. Because they are smaller, they don't offer everything a larger company might such as tuition reimbursement and a 401k employer match. The salaries and benefits are otherwise very good and very comprehrensive.

Advice to Management

They are in the process of creating more structured training programs, which is certainly needed. My advice would be to implement the 401K employer match and tuition reimbursement to make the benefits more competitive and support employee education and development.

Don't waste your time applying at Latisys!

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Non, absolutely none whatsoever! Don't bother with this company! in less then a year you'll be fed up looking for another job

Cons

This company has a revolving door employment policy and is one of the worst paying data centers in the area. On the average this data center loses a NOC technician every 3 months, mostly due to the poor management. I don't even think the management even deserves one star in the ratings, that's too good. When I left, half the NOC team was looking for another job. You'll work 12 hour shifts and you will spend most of you time dealing with checking in customers, getting packages for them and doing paper work. This is not a typical NOC position monitoring the network, it's more of a low level administrative type position. Even tier 2 spends most of the time doing audits. If your looking to get solid networking skills look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

This question is a waste of time as the management of the NOC is completely disconnected from their employees and treats them like disposable children.

Frustrating and ultimately unrewarding

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of cool technologies to work with
    The customers appreciate the hard work of the tecnhical staff
    Aside from most management, very good people that work there

Cons

Pay was well under market rate
    Long, long hours contributed to many employees leaving due to burnout
    Often very difficult to voice difficulties to upper management

Advice to Management

Get in the trenches with the employees once in a while and *listen* to their concerns.

RSS Feed </> Embed