LaunchSquad Reviews

Jason Throckmorton

6-year LaunchSquad veteran on my tenure at the firm

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LaunchSquad full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined LaunchSquad brand new to the work of communications, and left LaunchSquad having led entire client programs & teams in a senior role (I went to work in-house at a startup). LaunchSquad is like no other workplace I had had before (including a governmental agency, and a large news organization). The company has a strong set of core values, such as 'open & honest communication,' that have shaped what I found to be an amazing culture of openness, hard work/merit, and motivation for more than 10 years. I found the work to be challenging at every stage -- 95% of the time, the "good" type of challenging. I won't sugar coat that sometimes client and communications work can have its demanding downsides. But for everything I know from my peers at other firms and PR roles, this was, hands-down, a great ratio of great-to-not-so-great for the "challenging" scale that PR can entail. LaunchSquad is an authentic, high-energy, go-get-em (with lots of support, of course) kind of workplace. I think for the workplace, client quality, and results the firm gets for those clients, it's one of the best communications firms in tech today.

Cons

This is not so much of a "con" as it was the weaker spot in the company's formal infrastructure and set of process during its period of growth, and TBH they chose taking a bit longer to 'get right' rather than fall back on a more typical corporate review process. During my 6 years at LaunchSquad, the company grew from about 35 FTE in two offices (SF & NYC) to about 100 across four main offices (SF, NYC, Detroit and Boston). With the growth came the growing pain of finding meaningful ways to keep staff in training/development at respective levels (junior, middle, more senior), but by the time I left they had doubled down on some very formal mentoring and regular professional development efforts that I think they believe will scale best.

Drink the Kool-Aid and you'll be fine

I have been working at LaunchSquad

Pros

LaunchSquad offers employees great benefits, a health and wellness stipend, tons of company activities and room for growth. There's a good mentorship program in place and in general, lines of communication are open. For the most part, clients are interesting and easy to work with.

Cons

You have to drink the Kool-Aid in order to get the most of your time with LaunchSquad. Adopt the rah-rah attitude and understand that it's their way or the highway. Many employees have been there a while and tend to be favorites. There's a clear division among offices.

Great place to work.

I worked at LaunchSquad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow and take on responsibility, working with the hottest companies in Silicon Valley.

Cons

Smallish company so there is are limited leadership roles.

Great potential, but currently experience growing pains in the New York office.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LaunchSquad full-time

Pros

- Great potential and fantastic clients - If LS can figure out some of the kinks it will be an amazingly competitive agency - NYC office is small and allows employees to hold multiple roles. - Great culture and people. Hard working employees. - Very selective recruiting process to maintain a positive, energetic environment

Cons

- Poor work/life balance - Poor pay - Inefficiencies due to lack of standard processes - Different expectations in each office. NY hours are significantly longer than other offices. - No set career path for employees. - Inexperienced management in the NYC office.

Advice to Management

- Each office should have more autonomy, recognizing that each city has different needs/demands placed on employees. - If you expect talent to stay, you need to help them achieve their goals

Good breeding ground, little professionalism and career opp

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LaunchSquad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can be the big fish in a little pond pretty easily. Great experience at an accelerated rate.

Cons

The partners make the money, you do the work. Salary is mediocre. Little structure, favorites game.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and try to retain talent better.

Get experience here, than head somewhere else.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LaunchSquad

Pros

Lunch is catered once a week. They work with some interesting startups, and are working on creative PR initiatives, like company blogs and a video team.

Cons

My manager's attendance was extremely unpredictable throughout my time there, and frequently spoke poorly of the people we worked closely with behind their backs (while speaking kindly to them in person). He spent his 6-hr workdays on the phone, and completed very little actual work. The overall culture isn't very inclusive, nor as friendly as they'd like to believe. If you aren't a hipster who spends your workdays talking about your Turntable.FM station or going to Coachella, you aren't going to fit in. The office is dark. Everyone is expected to pick up the phone whenever it rings at least 3 times per day, no matter who it's for, leading to probably the most inefficient phone system I've ever had to deal with. The Wifi connection went down at least once per week.

Advice to Management

Instead of constantly patting yourselves on the back for your current culture, work on creating a culture that's more inclusive to new employees.

Exciting, fast-paced, creative PR firm

I have been working at LaunchSquad

Pros

LaunchSquad has a great group of talented, smart, high-energy PR and communications pros. It's fun. It's challenging. We work with some of the most exciting start-ups and fast-growth companies on the planet.

Cons

There are not a whole lot of negatives to working at LaunchSquad. Some folks may not like the open office environment.

9. Great place to work and learn

I have been working at LaunchSquad

Pros

- entrepreneurial culture that keeps everyone energized/excited - only really fun, bright and caring people hired - supportive teammates - honest, open communication style - always looking toward future of communications and investing in new tools - great, cutting-edge clients - fast learning curve - access to companies that are changing the world

Cons

Nothing! It's a great place to live and work. Tough clients can make the job more difficult, but even that doesn't overshadow the positive company culture. It's fun to come to work every day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! This is a great company that sticks to its values. Employees love working here.

RSS Feed </> Embed