Laura Ashley

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
2.6

Ng Kwan Cheong

Good part time job while

I worked at Laura Ashley

Pros

- Good team and fun work
    - Well established company

Cons

- a little bit unorganized

Company is a joke!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Laura Ashley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, team I worked with

Cons

Not allowed a life outside work. Too many red zones stop you booking holidays. Constantly changing rotas to suit the company sales! Horrendous Pay. A very high turnover of staff - not surprising really! Upper Management are very unprofessional.

Upper Management really need to start taking there high turnover of staff seriously. Refusing employees time off during red zones - even for family weddings is grossly unfair!

Gives you a good experience working with a more mature lady.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Laura Ashley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wearing nice clothes for cheaper than you could afford.

Cons

Had to have weeks off, not days, Really bad management skills from one person.

Some were supportive whilst others weren't helpful.

Don't put yourself through this hell

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Laura Ashley full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, sales team, nothing else

Cons

Pressure in selling the MasterCard, bullying, terrible pay, strict rules

Worked as a sales leader the worst rate of pay I have ever experienced and you are placed under so much pressure to sell the MasterCard it makes staff morale extremely low. Upper management are snobby and will not exchange words with the sales assistants who are making the sales and giving the great service that keep people coming back. Booking holidays are near impossible because of red zones always working over my hours with no thanks. worst job ever I am looking at leaving. ASAP

Overworked and under paid

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Laura Ashley full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lovely things to sell, and nice to get staff discount on so many lovely things for the home, great to get my Christmas gifts on discount too.

Cons

Never enough staff... I had to come in early every day and stay late to get things done, many customers complaining that there wasn't anyone to serve them, we have to spend time with people buying or ordering furniture or made to measure curtains etc, his means a member of staff is tied up on a till point for sometimes 30 mins or longer sometimes, people want help with wallpaper, or fashion / fitting room, and I know that sales are lost because people sometimes just will not wait. Quality of staff is not good either, paying the minimum wage to sales assistants will not ensure there are high quality people working in the stores, and they soon move on where someone is paying £1 an hour more.

More FULL-TIME staff for every branch. Running the stores on a shoe-string is a false economy as the more staff you have the more sales you will achieve, and it becomes self-funding in the long term. Staff will also not feel as if they are 'run-ragged' all the time, and should make for a happier work-force. Also, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, and this is true up to a point. Paying a higher rate of pay than most on the High Street, will mean that they get their pick of the high calibre people looking to move to a better employer, paying the minimum wage will not entice decent people away from other firms to come and work for Laura Ashley, you will only get those people who cannot get a job elsewhere.
    The best sales teams will achieve higher sales for the company, and more profit long term. They have a lovely product, but some of the staff are so not the Laura Ashley image, not well presented or well spoken. To maintain a high profile among the High Street, they need to ensure they have the best staff, and have a good reputation of paying well, so that good people will WANT to come and work for them!!!
     Laura Ashley used to have such a GOOD NAME, but not any more. They have always got a Sale on, and people know this, so will wait for things to be marked down. They should stick to just TWO proper Sales per year, which will be more impactful, and will not make the Brand seem like a 'Bargain Basement' type of company who can't sell things at the normal recommended price. The staff are always tied up putting signs in the window, putting stickers on stock, then taking the stickers off again a few days later... such a waste of time!!! (and so boring for the staff) Stop all these mini-sales mid season, have a proper Sale twice a year - like Harrods does. Don't cheapen the Brand, pay the staff well and they will love working for you. As things are at present, they have a massive staff turnover, especially Branch Management.. that must tell them something???
    I would not have left if things had been different, I always felt as if I needed a meeting with he Directors to tell them where they were going wrong!! Such a shame..

Probably a career move that you will regret.

I worked at Laura Ashley

Pros

No gaps on your cv

Cons

A lot of them, including a below-average wage for a 'luxury brand'.

Needs to look after employee's

I worked at Laura Ashley

Pros

The people there are really nice and friendly

Cons

bad pay
    bad management
    no training
    half an hour break
    bad management
    bad pay
    i said the first two again because it is that bad !!!

get new management

Good Retail Employer

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Greenhithe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Greenhithe, England (UK)

I worked at Laura Ashley part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Started working with home furnishing before moving into fashion. Interesting and original products to work with and developed skills, particularly the home section. Fashion product consistently improved in quality during my time there and has become a lot easier to sell.

Always welcomed by a friendly team who were very helpful, particularly when I started out and was a bit wobbly at things like measuring up for curtains! Very supportive and nurturing of new staff members.

Flexible attitude to part time staff and hours, working around my studies. Happy to move be between stores during studies as well. Structured rotas etc.

Cons

Strong focus on targets, particularly in pushing the store card which I was not always comfortable with as it didn't seem to provide value for smaller spends.

Valuable work and life experience learnt

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carno, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carno, Wales (UK)

I worked at Laura Ashley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family values and locality, being able to move up in the Company and working at various establishments during my 7 years. Very friendly and happy co-workers. Transport from home provided FOC - brilliant compared to today.

Cons

Management mainly male orientated considering that a woman started the company

Remember the little people they are your workforce - without them there would be nothing for you 'to manage' - less chiefs and more Indians.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dartford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dartford, England (UK)

I worked at Laura Ashley part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, excellent training, possibilities of progression, staff discount, uniform allowance, good brand

Cons

Management, Communication, Hours, Short staffed

The manager needs to be understanding.

Laura Ashley Photos

Laura Ashley, Stockport (Photo thanks to Geograph user Gerald England, Some Rights Reserved)
Laura Ashley on Bagleys Lane (Photo thanks to Geograph user David Howard, Some Rights Reserved)
Laura Ashley (Photo thanks to Geograph user Ian Capper, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo