Laureate Education Reviews

Doug Becker

1. Internship at Laureate

Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Learned allot of Information and about systems

Cons

The down time in projects not being able to find anything to do

Add more work for Interns

PSID employee

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

Good benefits and pay, if you can put up with the demands

Cons

Executive level and management put employees in difficult situations.
    Expected to check email all the time even when on personal leave. You feel like its a 24/7 job with no time away.
    After rounds of layoff job security is always in the back of the mind of employees.
    Far too many 'yes men'

Management stresses 'Healthy Work'. Yet most executives seem to be the route of the 'unhealthy' attitude by promising too much or not having the students in mind. They promote a ‘we can do attitude’ for personal gain without backing up the product. Executives say yes to anything the CEO wants and then set unreachable goals.

Bad Internship Experience -Intern Disappointment!

Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Good Professional Environment
    -Good Intern Salary
    -Good Location
    -Good global work exposure, interacting with employees sitting at different locations in world and solving there doubts.
    -Good Internship program, increasing interns every year, seems like company's growing!
    -Good tech savvy people working together, but all work is going in vain!
    -Hat's off to tech savvy people, engineer's who work hard to complete each and every project!!!

Cons

-No job training for new interns.
    -No senior colleague shadowing with job level training.
    -Intra department antagonism.
    -Leadership pillars pressuring senior level director's, vp, employee's which in return affect the organizational dynamics of company
    -Some intern directly report to very senior level executive's, like director's and all etc.
    -Even after consistently, reporting HR to change department for internship, it was not taken care off!
    -Some senior employee were leaving the post at same time old employee's who left were brought in for different job designation's.
    -Work for money, no career growth
    -No work appreciation

Stop peer pressuring your Senior level employee's when you exactly don't know what goes on in between department antagonism's. Talent(Intern) is hired by company and it's management's responsibility to keep them engaged in proper department so they are hired full time, unlike there's no reason in hiring for just for summer internship. If you want just for period of three months better find out contractors to complete your unmanaged work!!!

Corporate Finance

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location, Good compensation package, good company -- room for growth, highly diverse

Cons

Management is ineffective, can't make decisions.
    Poor direction from managers
    Micromanage
    High school environment with office politics
    Need to be more flexible when working late hours (Still expected to be there at 9am when working past 11pm -- 14 hour days)
    Floating deadlines that never get met because management cannot make decisions until the last minute (and then sometimes change their mind again)

Fire half of your "managers." Most don't even manage anyone, and perform the work of a staff or senior. More staff/seniors would help improve efficiency and create a better working atmosphere. Have hard deadlines to motivate employees to finish their work, most know management will push deadlines due to their own ineffectiveness to meet them.

6. lacks long term plan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit options, coworkers, flexibility work, company values

Cons

Growth issues, management heavy, no career direction, lacks work life balance

Concentrate on employee growth and development.

Call center Slave

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The money is ok. The new hires that you train with are pretty cool people. They give you a laptop to work from home.

Cons

Everything. It's a sales job. The schools suck and have very low accreditations. The management sucks. You only get promoted if you are best friends with your manager. If they don't like you they will make you uncomfortable until you quit.

Take time to properly train employees and you won't have such a high turnover rate

Heading in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Executive Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salaries are excellent, as are the benefits. The work is meaningful and as a professional education in public and private for many years, I respectfully disagree with those who question the quality of the education that is provided; so, I also believe the mission is a pro for the company, both in terms of providing educational opportunities to those who might not otherwise receive an education and in terms of the social change mission. There is a renewed emphasis on innovation that is exciting to be part of.

Cons

It is typical in the education world to get more days off than Laureate provides. Following an academic calendar/culture would enhance the educational mission and provide more alignment with the field.

Re-consider some of the real ramifications of the "healthy org" culture, which is well-intended, but loses meaning over time. Many take the org to mean that people cannot disagree which is unhealthy. Additionally, a healthy org should have healthy people within it; ensuring work-life balance would help in this regard. I do believe this is changing because of new leaders in the organization, but some employees don't trust it based on past experience.

Laureate = Diploma Mill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of young people, good location

Cons

This place is a diploma mill.They award advanced degrees to students who can barely write a coherent sentence, and while billing themselves as an academic institution, it is still very much about profit--even if it means devaluing educational worth by graduating students who could never survive a bricks and mortar program.

It is also a highly political and unfriendly environment. I kept my head down while I was there, but I listened a lot, and heard way more than I wanted to--mostly people badmouthing people on other teams, complaining constantly and gossiping nonstop. In the time I was there, no one from my team ever took the time to speak to me, and despite my own efforts at friendliness, I often went entire weeks without speaking to anyone on my own team. It was very disappointing and demoralizing. I've always had good relationships at previous jobs and been prone to making friends, but I can't say I walked away from this employer with a single relationship I cared to maintain.

Discourage employees from badmouthing each other and encourage better cooperation and collegiality between different divisions and teams.

Not for organized or logical people...

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education

Pros

The people that were the same level as myself were great. I had a fantastic team, really nice, good people that made me smile everyday. The location (harbor east) was great, very convenient for errands during lunch or after hours and there is a gym in the building.

Cons

Management or "leadership" as they call themselves, are the farthest thing away from any leader I have ever seen. The communication from top down is horrific. Most recently, they laid off an entire office in LA with no warning. They take forever to make any decision, it's like they aren't sure who is really in charge. It can be extremely confusing when information is communicated in different ways and at different times. There is no explanation of why things are happening and no one will offer to help. If you are hoping for professional development, look elsewhere, that does not happen in any shape here. Unless you can become best friends with a manager or be number one on your team, don't even think people will consider you for other positions, and maybe not even with those conditions. Very unpredictable, new policies are implemented with less than a minute notice. I tried to quit and my manager didn't send my notice to HR, and I ended up working more than I intended to. I was given mixed messages on when my last day would be, just very unclear and unprofessional.

LISTEN to your employees. DONT share information that you haven't been authorized to do yet. BE UNDERSTANDING, we are human beings not machines. BE PROFESSIONAL. Follow through on your word. Communication is key in any business, do it better.

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, have hard-working employees that are really great to work with.

Cons

No consistency in upper management in terms of advancement potential.
    Very low annual merit increases.
    Work-life balance issues, very long hours with minimal recognition back.
    Technology commitments don't match the company's aggressive growth plans.

Start listening to your middle management and staff-level employees on major issues. Need to development new hire and management development training. Review your divisions for consistency related to senior management to direct reports span of control

Laureate Education Photos