Laureate Education

Updated February 25, 2015
2.4

Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker
Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is manageable if you enforce it for yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Terrible upper management, low employee morale, micromanagment, inconsistency within (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

86 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

PSID employee

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

Good benefits and pay, if you can put up with the demands

Cons

Executive level and management put employees in difficult situations.
    Expected to check email all the time even when on personal leave. You feel like its a 24/7 job with no time away.
    After rounds of layoff job security is always in the back of the mind of employees.
    Far too many 'yes men'

Management stresses 'Healthy Work'. Yet most executives seem to be the route of the 'unhealthy' attitude by promising too much or not having the students in mind. They promote a ‘we can do attitude’ for personal gain without backing up the product. Executives say yes to anything the CEO wants and then set unreachable goals.

lacks long term plan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit options, coworkers, flexibility work, company values

Cons

Growth issues, management heavy, no career direction, lacks work life balance

Concentrate on employee growth and development.

Call center Slave

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The money is ok. The new hires that you train with are pretty cool people. They give you a laptop to work from home.

Cons

Everything. It's a sales job. The schools suck and have very low accreditations. The management sucks. You only get promoted if you are best friends with your manager. If they don't like you they will make you uncomfortable until you quit.

Take time to properly train employees and you won't have such a high turnover rate

Good Experience at first until management created too many verticals that did not communicate horizontally.

I worked at Laureate Education

Pros

Location, growth potential, benefits, generally everyone gets along.

Cons

Too many upper level management - ineffective

Hire more indians to do the work. stop holding issue-less meetings just to schedule additional meetings without the proper stakeholders attending.

Heading in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Executive Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salaries are excellent, as are the benefits. The work is meaningful and as a professional education in public and private for many years, I respectfully disagree with those who question the quality of the education that is provided; so, I also believe the mission is a pro for the company, both in terms of providing educational opportunities to those who might not otherwise receive an education and in terms of the social change mission. There is a renewed emphasis on innovation that is exciting to be part of.

Cons

It is typical in the education world to get more days off than Laureate provides. Following an academic calendar/culture would enhance the educational mission and provide more alignment with the field.

Re-consider some of the real ramifications of the "healthy org" culture, which is well-intended, but loses meaning over time. Many take the org to mean that people cannot disagree which is unhealthy. Additionally, a healthy org should have healthy people within it; ensuring work-life balance would help in this regard. I do believe this is changing because of new leaders in the organization, but some employees don't trust it based on past experience.

Laureate = Diploma Mill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of young people, good location

Cons

This place is a diploma mill.They award advanced degrees to students who can barely write a coherent sentence, and while billing themselves as an academic institution, it is still very much about profit--even if it means devaluing educational worth by graduating students who could never survive a bricks and mortar program.

It is also a highly political and unfriendly environment. I kept my head down while I was there, but I listened a lot, and heard way more than I wanted to--mostly people badmouthing people on other teams, complaining constantly and gossiping nonstop. In the time I was there, no one from my team ever took the time to speak to me, and despite my own efforts at friendliness, I often went entire weeks without speaking to anyone on my own team. It was very disappointing and demoralizing. I've always had good relationships at previous jobs and been prone to making friends, but I can't say I walked away from this employer with a single relationship I cared to maintain.

Discourage employees from badmouthing each other and encourage better cooperation and collegiality between different divisions and teams.

Not for organized or logical people...

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education

Pros

The people that were the same level as myself were great. I had a fantastic team, really nice, good people that made me smile everyday. The location (harbor east) was great, very convenient for errands during lunch or after hours and there is a gym in the building.

Cons

Management or "leadership" as they call themselves, are the farthest thing away from any leader I have ever seen. The communication from top down is horrific. Most recently, they laid off an entire office in LA with no warning. They take forever to make any decision, it's like they aren't sure who is really in charge. It can be extremely confusing when information is communicated in different ways and at different times. There is no explanation of why things are happening and no one will offer to help. If you are hoping for professional development, look elsewhere, that does not happen in any shape here. Unless you can become best friends with a manager or be number one on your team, don't even think people will consider you for other positions, and maybe not even with those conditions. Very unpredictable, new policies are implemented with less than a minute notice. I tried to quit and my manager didn't send my notice to HR, and I ended up working more than I intended to. I was given mixed messages on when my last day would be, just very unclear and unprofessional.

LISTEN to your employees. DONT share information that you haven't been authorized to do yet. BE UNDERSTANDING, we are human beings not machines. BE PROFESSIONAL. Follow through on your word. Communication is key in any business, do it better.

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, have hard-working employees that are really great to work with.

Cons

No consistency in upper management in terms of advancement potential.
    Very low annual merit increases.
    Work-life balance issues, very long hours with minimal recognition back.
    Technology commitments don't match the company's aggressive growth plans.

Start listening to your middle management and staff-level employees on major issues. Need to development new hire and management development training. Review your divisions for consistency related to senior management to direct reports span of control

Joined with great hope and expectations, currently disappointed with senior leadership short sightedness.

Current Employee - Online Course Development in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Online Course Development in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was a lot of potential and at one time was cutting edge in regards to online learning. However, this no longer exists.

Cons

Wastes opportunities for potential by not listening or trusting staff

Get rid of senior leaders who only seem focused on bottom line thinking and are not looking forward or allowing for innovation. There was a lot potential, until recently when it was removed. In your efforts to be unique and innovative, you are now satisfied with mediocrity. This organization is no longer cutting edge.

Fast paced and growing organization

Current Employee - Global Project in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Global Project in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and friendly staff.

Cons

Work life balance needs to improve.

Try more telecommuting for positions.

Laureate Education Photos