Laureate Education Reviews

Reset
2.6
Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker
Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is manageable if you enforce it for yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management cares more about numbers than staff well-being (in 12 reviews)

One of the better companies in Baltimore

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company maintains a positive work atmosphere and flexibility. Benefits and pay are some of the best in Baltimore. Lots of opportunity to travel internationally.

Cons

The hours can be demanding at time and the issues are highly complex and technical. A very large organization with lots of management layers.

Advice to Management

The IPO has been a long time goal for the company and management has still a lot of work to do prior to going public. Many international locations do not have the necessary oversight.

2. OK if hourly, run if salary; put your sense of self-worth aside

Former Intern - Enrollment, PSID, Marketing, BI, All Over the Place in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Some departments can work from home once or twice a week
    -Pay is decent
    -Promotion opportunities if you are willing to sacrifice work-life balance
    -Lots of learning experiences
    -Enrollment Advisers are paid extremely well for a glorified call center

Cons

I don't know where to start. I've intentionally waited a few months after leaving to get the frustrations out of my system in an effort to try to review objectively. For reference, I worked in or directly with several departments for many years, including IT, PSID, BI, Marketing, and Enrollment. I've worked out of two offices- Baltimore and Columbia.

Laureate is going through a constant identity crisis. Departments change names every other month, job titles constantly change, and things are generally shuffled so often that you don't know who is supposed to be doing what, and at times, what your job is. The company will harp on something for months then suddenly abandon it. For about a year and a half, every meeting was about organizational health, something management never displayed. Out of nowhere, it was never mentioned again and suddenly all meetings were about "Laureate 3.0," which is a thinly veiled term for "our business is going down the drain domestically, and we're subsequently going to talk down to employees and say you need to work harder. yeah, we don't care that many of you work 60+ hours a week already."

Job security is also nil. The company will tell someone "we need more people like you" one day, and lay them off the next. This happened frequently, and often en masse. Part of the problem is that even middle management is so disconnected from the workers that they never bother to learn what their product is, what goes into creating it, or what skill set is needed.

You will be worked to near death (literally) if you work in IT or PSID. If you do a good job and work long hours, you will absolutely be taken advantage of and exploited with little to no recognition or reward. I have seen, as a direct result of job stress: two heart attacks, two cases of severe digestive issues from nerves, more nervous breakdowns than I can count, etc.

The biggest problem with working for Laureate is the lack of transparency. You never know what is really going on. Management outright lies in meetings, and the worst part of it is that they are so disconnected from employee reality that they sincerely think folks believe them. No one does.

I mentioned a pro being able to work from home sometimes in some departments. This is not always good as it breeds resentment due to inconsistency policies. It's also a problem b/c, with management being so disconnected, a lot of people abuse it and don't do any work when at home.

Laureate leadership manages up. There is no consideration for those under a director. The concern is always "let me put a spin on this and impress those above me. I'm so good at BS'ing that it doesn't really matter if my department is hemorrhaging, I will still get promoted b/c my boss just listens to my BS and buys it." Sadly, it works.

Everyone is miserable and paranoid as a result of the above items. I had people tell me they were afraid to leave because they've become so institutionalized by Laureate policies that they feel they can no longer work in a normal environment due to being so jaded and paranoid.

Despite the poor working environment and morale, Laureate management is cowardly in dealing with performance issues. Don't do your job? I'll create a new position for you off a particular team and just promote you so it's no longer my problem. This is well known across all departments.

Additionally, there are some ethical issues resulting from incompetence. There is a class action suit currently in progress regarding practices with grad student program completion. Thesis and dissertation approvals get stuck in limbo, leading to students needing to pay full time tuition, often for several terms, just b/c there thesis is not reviewed in a timely manner. Though the lawsuit is claiming this is intentional, I don't think it's the case, rather just a result of inept communication and work processes. Regardless, it happens all too often.

I have also heard some pretty nasty stories about Enrollment ethics and experienced some first hand. I felt more like a bill collector as an Enrollment Adviser than I ever did as a bill collector repo'ing cars. They harass people that much.

I was once encouraged to exploit women in a domestic abuse shelter and use financial aid refunds as a sales technique. For-profit education has been under intense scrutiny for the past few years, and Laureate has enjoyed touting how they are not "like the others" in sales meetings. They are correct- they are worse than the others but are better at finding loop holes.

I should also reiterate the frequency of layoffs. PSID had a real classy technique- "Employees, we need to re-design, you guys will make the plan, we will have focus groups, and you will all like working here so much more." Three months later "OK, a third of you are laid off and we made decisions on who using means that have nothing to do with work quality. What? Don't like it? YOU created this redesign."

Lastly, benefits are weak compared to other higher-ed jobs. They are about equal to or a little bit below the average corporate gig.

Advice to Management

-Stop managing up
    -Learn what your employees actually do.
    -Instead of declaring "we are innovators," actually act on it and be innovative. Same goes for transparency. Regally declaring "I'm transparent" but never being forthright just makes you look like a liar
    -Thanks for all the opportunities to learn. I worked long, hard hours, and learned a lot as a result
    -How dare you exploit people like myself who work so hard for you?
    -There is a reason PSID is referred to as PTSD. Maybe you should look into this.
    -I regret not whistle-blowing on you as an active employee. I had to keep a roof over my head. I'm just glad I am no longer sickened by what I do for a living or how my employer treats customers and employees.

3. Overall Good Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company with a lot of complexities which allows you to learn a lot. Co-workers were fun to work with. And although there is some overtime, they are up front and honest in letting you know that is the case.

Cons

Shifting priorities made it difficult to meet deadlines.

Internship - BEWARE

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Location was kind of nice.

Cons

Unorganized. Didn't learn much of anything. Boss was very unpleasant.

Advice to Management

Organize the internship program better! It has so much potential, but I was given so much busy work and nothing meaningful to do.

Course Developer

Former Employee - Course Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Course Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Smes to work with. Students seems to like the courses. Great people to work with.

Cons

Don't listen to staff. Lack
    Of morale and trust.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. They have great ideas. Live up to your desire of being a healthy environment.

Enter at your own risk

Current Employee - Marketing in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

Smart People
    Focus on innovation
    Opportunities for travel

Cons

No focus on practicality or what has to actually work for ideas to come to fruition
    Terrible Work/Life Balance
    Low Pay
    Very Political
    You are working for your director and their bosses. No mistakes about that
    Values the bottom line at the sacrifice of everything else
    Landed on the government's watchlist because of some very shady enrollment practices

Advice to Management

Live up to your values and stop working people until you break them.

Okay company to start out but....

Former Employee - Enrollment in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Growth for people right out of college and starting career
    Make good money for call center

Cons

No work life balance in enrollment operations/support
    No defined culture
    Leaders managing teams where they are not qualified
    Interview process for internal positions drags on and clear expectations are not set
    Ask people to do more with less when you are already working 50+ hours

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and do more professional development for managers
    Define the culture of the company

9. Internship at Laureate

Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned allot of Information and about systems

Cons

The down time in projects not being able to find anything to do

Advice to Management

Add more work for Interns

PSID employee

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

Good benefits and pay, if you can put up with the demands

Cons

Executive level and management put employees in difficult situations.
    Expected to check email all the time even when on personal leave. You feel like its a 24/7 job with no time away.
    After rounds of layoff job security is always in the back of the mind of employees.
    Far too many 'yes men'

Advice to Management

Management stresses 'Healthy Work'. Yet most executives seem to be the route of the 'unhealthy' attitude by promising too much or not having the students in mind. They promote a ‘we can do attitude’ for personal gain without backing up the product. Executives say yes to anything the CEO wants and then set unreachable goals.

Corporate Finance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, Good compensation package, good company -- room for growth, highly diverse

Cons

Management is ineffective, can't make decisions.
    Poor direction from managers
    Micromanage
    High school environment with office politics
    Need to be more flexible when working late hours (Still expected to be there at 9am when working past 11pm -- 14 hour days)
    Floating deadlines that never get met because management cannot make decisions until the last minute (and then sometimes change their mind again)

Advice to Management

Fire half of your "managers." Most don't even manage anyone, and perform the work of a staff or senior. More staff/seniors would help improve efficiency and create a better working atmosphere. Have hard deadlines to motivate employees to finish their work, most know management will push deadlines due to their own ineffectiveness to meet them.

RSS Feed </> Embed