Laureate Education Reviews

Reset
2.6
Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker
Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is manageable if you enforce it for yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management cares more about numbers than staff well-being (in 12 reviews)

Good at first...

Former Employee - Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Editor in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Some very talented people work there. Opportunities for advancement. In my position, I was allowed to work from home frequently.

Cons

Frequent "reorganizations" that led to many people getting laid off (not me, but many people I worked with regularly in other job titles/departments). Frequent talk of investments in other universities, etc., and how well the company is doing, but very small pay increases.

Advice to Management

Be more open with your employees. Stop "reorganizing" so often--it creates an atmosphere of fear and mistrust.

2. Technology Intern

Former Intern - Salesforce Administrator/Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Salesforce Administrator/Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-Awesome place to work -Good culture -Friendly Manager as well as Team -Professional ambience

Cons

-Very huge organization and difficult to understand the structure of the company

Doesn't care about the students

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location. Great benefits. Nice coworkers. Appears to have good advancement opportunities. Fantastic starting salary.

Cons

Listless company goals/leadership. More than 4 major organizations changes since I've been there. The company pays a lot of lip service to being "Here for good" and student focused, but they do not back it up. If you work on the sales side, your life might be peachy. But if you're interested at all in working for the student side, expect minimal resources, broken technology, and a lot of hot air. You'll be apologizing to students A LOT for things that are fixable but the company doesn't care enough to give the money or time. There are a lot of people that care, even up to the Executive level (although many of them have now left), but it has yet to result in positive change. A lot of politics. Inconsistent management across teams. Very discouraging to see some teams consistently going to happy hour, leaving early, going to the gym for an hour when you have so much work to do that you're not sure you can even leave on time that day. They are bringing in a lot of external people lately and not saying much about future structure.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending. Stop chasing after the customers you don't yet have and focus on the ones you do. The students who are actually PAYING for an education even though you've done the bait and switch on them.

Multiple hats

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Nice location, good co-workers, dedicated people.

Cons

Administration sucks. Poor management is shifted around to different departments further plaguing various areas of the organization.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad seeds, this will help boost moral.

6. ok, but not great

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

downtown office, reasonable benefits, MAC gym in building

Cons

very little ability to advance, typical rigid corporate structure.

OK

Former Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great folks to work with at staff level; Opportunity to be a part of social change and progressive education.

Cons

Executives live in the clouds and don't understand the massive amount of work being done at management and staff levels to keep organization moving forward in a positive direction.

Advice to Management

Layoff of key personnel and reorganization may save money but moves the company backwards not forwards and only burdens those left with trying to figure out how and what to do to stay afloat. Many who were laid off were the companies go-getters and work horses. It's a shame the company keeps moving backwards.

One of the better companies in Baltimore

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company maintains a positive work atmosphere and flexibility. Benefits and pay are some of the best in Baltimore. Lots of opportunity to travel internationally.

Cons

The hours can be demanding at time and the issues are highly complex and technical. A very large organization with lots of management layers.

Advice to Management

The IPO has been a long time goal for the company and management has still a lot of work to do prior to going public. Many international locations do not have the necessary oversight.

OK if hourly, run if salary; put your sense of self-worth aside

Former Intern - Enrollment, PSID, Marketing, BI, All Over the Place in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Some departments can work from home once or twice a week -Pay is decent -Promotion opportunities if you are willing to sacrifice work-life balance -Lots of learning experiences -Enrollment Advisers are paid extremely well for a glorified call center

Cons

I don't know where to start. I've intentionally waited a few months after leaving to get the frustrations out of my system in an effort to try to review objectively. For reference, I worked in or directly with several departments for many years, including IT, PSID, BI, Marketing, and Enrollment. I've worked out of two offices- Baltimore and Columbia. Laureate is going through a constant identity crisis. Departments change names every other month, job titles constantly change, and things are generally shuffled so often that you don't know who is supposed to be doing what, and at times, what your job is. The company will harp on something for months then suddenly abandon it. For about a year and a half, every meeting was about organizational health, something management never displayed. Out of nowhere, it was never mentioned again and suddenly all meetings were about "Laureate 3.0," which is a thinly veiled term for "our business is going down the drain domestically, and we're subsequently going to talk down to employees and say you need to work harder. yeah, we don't care that many of you work 60+ hours a week already." Job security is also nil. The company will tell someone "we need more people like you" one day, and lay them off the next. This happened frequently, and often en masse. Part of the problem is that even middle management is so disconnected from the workers that they never bother to learn what their product is, what goes into creating it, or what skill set is needed. You will be worked to near death (literally) if you work in IT or PSID. If you do a good job and work long hours, you will absolutely be taken advantage of and exploited with little to no recognition or reward. I have seen, as a direct result of job stress: two heart attacks, two cases of severe digestive issues from nerves, more nervous breakdowns than I can count, etc. The biggest problem with working for Laureate is the lack of transparency. You never know what is really going on. Management outright lies in meetings, and the worst part of it is that they are so disconnected from employee reality that they sincerely think folks believe them. No one does. I mentioned a pro being able to work from home sometimes in some departments. This is not always good as it breeds resentment due to inconsistency policies. It's also a problem b/c, with management being so disconnected, a lot of people abuse it and don't do any work when at home. Laureate leadership manages up. There is no consideration for those under a director. The concern is always "let me put a spin on this and impress those above me. I'm so good at BS'ing that it doesn't really matter if my department is hemorrhaging, I will still get promoted b/c my boss just listens to my BS and buys it." Sadly, it works. Everyone is miserable and paranoid as a result of the above items. I had people tell me they were afraid to leave because they've become so institutionalized by Laureate policies that they feel they can no longer work in a normal environment due to being so jaded and paranoid. Despite the poor working environment and morale, Laureate management is cowardly in dealing with performance issues. Don't do your job? I'll create a new position for you off a particular team and just promote you so it's no longer my problem. This is well known across all departments. Additionally, there are some ethical issues resulting from incompetence. There is a class action suit currently in progress regarding practices with grad student program completion. Thesis and dissertation approvals get stuck in limbo, leading to students needing to pay full time tuition, often for several terms, just b/c there thesis is not reviewed in a timely manner. Though the lawsuit is claiming this is intentional, I don't think it's the case, rather just a result of inept communication and work processes. Regardless, it happens all too often. I have also heard some pretty nasty stories about Enrollment ethics and experienced some first hand. I felt more like a bill collector as an Enrollment Adviser than I ever did as a bill collector repo'ing cars. They harass people that much. I was once encouraged to exploit women in a domestic abuse shelter and use financial aid refunds as a sales technique. For-profit education has been under intense scrutiny for the past few years, and Laureate has enjoyed touting how they are not "like the others" in sales meetings. They are correct- they are worse than the others but are better at finding loop holes. I should also reiterate the frequency of layoffs. PSID had a real classy technique- "Employees, we need to re-design, you guys will make the plan, we will have focus groups, and you will all like working here so much more." Three months later "OK, a third of you are laid off and we made decisions on who using means that have nothing to do with work quality. What? Don't like it? YOU created this redesign." Lastly, benefits are weak compared to other higher-ed jobs. They are about equal to or a little bit below the average corporate gig.

Advice to Management

-Stop managing up -Learn what your employees actually do. -Instead of declaring "we are innovators," actually act on it and be innovative. Same goes for transparency. Regally declaring "I'm transparent" but never being forthright just makes you look like a liar -Thanks for all the opportunities to learn. I worked long, hard hours, and learned a lot as a result -How dare you exploit people like myself who work so hard for you? -There is a reason PSID is referred to as PTSD. Maybe you should look into this. -I regret not whistle-blowing on you as an active employee. I had to keep a roof over my head. I'm just glad I am no longer sickened by what I do for a living or how my employer treats customers and employees.

It's a relief I left....

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location, one or two coworkers, you ca can walk to whole foods.

Cons

It's likely you'll be hired for one position than a year or so into that position they will move you into a completely different position expect you to be great at it and not pay you for all the additional responsibilities. Worklife balance is low to poor. Depending on who your manager is, it's possible your manager will and can raise their voice at you without any repercussions.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees when you move them to a new position not two years later. Keep better track of your management, stop promoting people with erratic behavior just because they like to work 80 hours a week. Take a look around the morale is terrible, do something to fix it or even more people are going to leave.

Enrollment advisor

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Co-workers are the only thing that makes laureate stand out.

Cons

The worst company ever to work for!!every department get a different treatment by their managers, one Manager especially has been harassing employees for years and still remains working for more than a decade! This manager is condesceding with various individuals and makes her own rules while sadly upper management and HR is aware of what she is doing since many individuals reported this issue yet they are allowing this !Upper management sits in their own cloud they see the reality of the hostile environment that employee are facing with daily yet they pretend like everything is great ...all they care about is enrollments.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and actually do work. Stop overworking Enrollment advisors while you sit on your behind in your cubicle sending emails all day giving out orders the team and socializing with other managers but most importantly there needs to be more training seminars for managers because some of them don't have any knowledge about the degree programs that we recruit for.

RSS Feed </> Embed