Laureate Education

Laureate Education Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker

Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing very, very fast(in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little downtime and a work/life balance is nearly impossible to achieve(in 16 reviews)

• No work life balance since people work from 8 AM to 8 PM(in 6 reviews)

Change just for change's sake

Multimedia Specialist (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

Prosnot very stressfull, one day a week to Work from home, flexible schedule, decent pay, excellent benefits, great equipment

Consno training, the senior leadership is a mess they want to improve the situation but they don't commit to any of the changes they make they change something get bored and in a month there's a new organizational change, they org chart is reorganized every month, the morale has been really low since the layoffs almost tow years ago and nothing has been don to improve it, also the decor inside the building it's depressing

Constant Change

Sales (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

Prosflexible work hours
    great people

Consbelow cost of living pay raises
    limited opportunity for growth if you join the company at the entry level
    some micromanagement

Great Company & Great Staff

Executive Assistant (C Level) (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsExcellent pay, excellent leaders, great remote help if needed, respect work life balance.

ConsHeavy workload - the pay does match this well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Unless It's The Only Job In Town

Enrollment (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsSalaries are not bad. Benefits are very good.

ConsCulture is "Do your job and shut up." Turnover is extremely high. Working 60+ hours a week for exempt positions is expected. Employees typically work until they burn out and leave as fast as they can. Company recruiters will openly tell you that departments under staff by 50% compared to other companies and they are told not to hire until they have no choice. No staffing plans. 3 restructures in the past 3 years, people are hired, trained, let go, more people are hired, trained, let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to know how you are doing, send a survey to the spouses, domestic partners, boyfriends, girlfriends and kids of the people who work for you. Every spouse, etc. I've ever met despises this place for the way it treats the people they love.

This experience was going great until 3 reorgs happened in one year, and I had to take FMLA for medical reasons.

Web Content Specialist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsEveryone is friendly, and group atmosphere is fine. Raises are good as long as you don't have medical issues.

ConsThey screw you over and are age discriminatory.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake pride in your employees health and safety. Coming to work when there are 5 inches of snow on the ground is ridiculous. Especially when its considered a state of emergency.

Without perspective

IT Department (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsCompany have strange strategy to not develop employee. After some time you will start to think "What I'm doing here and why I'm wasting my time" Micro Managing plus huge HR programs which should develop are working in opposite way! I saw like many amazing hard working people left because there is no future here.

ConsPlace where you find good people. Probably this misery feeling is making strong bounds. For sure you will gain experience how it is to work in corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen people, Do not create empty HR systems. Maybe some directors are not where they should be...

Sr. Analyst

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsInternational, lots of career opportunities within the company, especially outside of the US. International friendly work environments. The Harbor East location is great.

ConsLack of career development, Decentralized organization which who you reports to matter the most, your performance are highly influenced by your supervisor's leadership and style. turnover is higher than average

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do a better job on standardizing the work process

Very Unhealthy Culture

ProsSalary is good, benefits are good.

ConsAll politics and confusion. Is going through a "healthy organization" revamping and failing miserably. Senior management and leadership spend most of their time pointing fingers at each other. The turnover in leadership, management and employees is like nothing I've ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the cult of leadership personality and follow best business practices. You can't expect your employees to believe in a healthy, blame-free work environment when leadership spends all of their time trying to roll each other under the bus.

Exciting, fast-paced and international

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

Pros-Great office and location in Baltimore (Harbor East)
    -The work is really challenging and there is plenty of it to do-I've enjoyed working closely with other smart people that work as hard as I do.
    -Lots of interaction with international colleagues and teams at Laureate's institutions: Latin America, Europe, Africa, Asia
    -The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world.

Cons-Work is fast paced and priorities sometimes turn on a dime, can be frustrating at first until you are used to it

Lack of upper managment

IT (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsYou will meet great people here and gain experience. You should be happy for the very first year.

ConsCompany is know as wall of ignorance. Upper managment is completely deaf. There is no career path. Your manager usually is lost in hundreds of meetings without touch with real people on the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to the people, stop creating empty programs to improve relationships but start to listen people starting from the basic positions.

Worked for Laureate Education? Contribute to the Community!