Laureate Education Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.5

Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker
Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing very, very fast (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work life balance, poor technology for staff, sloppy development practices (in 19 reviews)

• Terrible upper management, low employee morale, micromanagment, inconsistency within (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced and growing organization

Current Employee - Global Project in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Global Project in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and friendly staff.

Cons

Work life balance needs to improve.

Try more telecommuting for positions.

Miss the Old Days... Things stopped Improving

Former Employee - Human Resources in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, great location, working in Higher Education is rewarding. was an amazing cuklture 5 years ago, has been declining.

Cons

Innovation is not welcome, they like to do things the same way. Hire unnecessary people who are impressive on paper and kill the culture. Senior Leadership has lost the pulse of what the average employee wants or needs. Morale suffers.

Come out of your executive offices and meet your people who are doing the work, not just the mid level managers who only tell you what they want you to know.

leadership thinks re-orgs equals progress

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

location, great lunch spots, view

Cons

dog eat dog, no real advancement, management all hate each other

Good Benefits

Current Employee - Student Support
    Current Employee - Student Support

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Health Insurance and I like the people I work with.

Cons

Doesn't provide the proper training with changing technology and processes.

Great growth opportunities...if you're a favorite of management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a very competitive benefits package and the benefits team cares about employees. The benefits are also fairly affordable for dependents compared to a previous employer. Education reimbursement is great and they have a graduation bonus if you graduate from a school that is part of the Laureate network. The work location (Harbor East) is nice with a lot of newer businesses around; fast-paced environment; good company perks in terms of free food, events, etc. Company is growing fast and the industry is exciting to be a part of. International community is great to interact with when we have the chance to.

Cons

There is a LOT of favoritism and a lot of promotions for people based solely on personal preference of management and nothing to do with experience, skill, or time in job; management doesn't have a lot of care for employee work/life balance; upper level management seems to have no clue of what employees actually do; HR tends to not have a clue about what is going on or they don't care, even though they're very nice when you talk to them; big salary differences for people in the same position doing the exact same thing; people around me seem to be leaving all the time, especially in the enrollment areas and that makes for a lot of confused people all the time and a lot of retraining of new people all the time. Not a lot of opportunity for training in my area.

Try to be objective in managing your workforce. Remember to show all of your employees that you appreciate them and remember that we aren't robots and can't make the impossible happen all the time. Remember that we can't work 24 hours a day and that we need to see our children, eat, relax and sleep. Try to be fair with how you treat people and take notice when people are consistent and dedicated. Be a team player and lead by example; don't just give orders without direction, instead, be willing to roll up your sleeves and help your team with big projects that have tight deadlines. Help to retain existing employees by paying them competitively since it seems like a lot of people that are here for a few years almost always leave because the pay that was competitive when they started is no longer up to speed with what others are willing to pay, so they leave for better offers because the internal increases aren't that great for most of us.

one way or another....

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The location is ideal. The education, benefits, and compensation is rather good compared to competitors within the industry. Countless opportunities for professional growth as long as you show vigor, potential and interest.

Cons

If you're looking to grow within, its a roll of the dice. Sometimes, you'll just be the person for the job and walk right into a position made for you. But that's very seldom. You can be the most prepared, have the background experience and education, have a clear plan of how you'll positively impact the new position you're applying for, and NONE of that will matter if leadership is already set on who they want. Sometimes, who they want will have LESS education, LESS experience, NO clearly defined progressive strategies and yet will STILL be the "best candidate". My suggestion, if you can't find a way to move up, then gather as much experience as you can to position yourself to move on. One way or another, it'll be good for something.

There needs to be a DEFINED career path at every level, in every department. There needs to be CLEAR practices as to hiring and promoting.

Pretty Good Intern Program

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-great benefits (free Orioles game, lunches, etc.)
    -a large internship program with a lot of other college students you can connect to
    -a lot of great and helpful people working there
    -great pay
    -great facilities and it is located in the beautiful Harbor East

Cons

-I know a lot of interns who were bored because their managers were not very involved with them
    -however, there were some who were overwhelmed with the fast-paced work environment, but I would disagree with them

Laureate Education from an Employee Standpoint

Current Employee - IT Professional
    Current Employee - IT Professional

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and the people you work with are awesome. Requesting time off is not a problem and making up time on your own schedule shows your manager that you are dedicated.

Cons

Some challenges are there are too many vertical organizations that don't communicate well to the foundational IT department.

Compensation should be a ratio of gross company profit distributed evenly to the top department performers and not to line the pockets of the various C-Team members.

Change, Turn Over, Change

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, benefits, tuition discount

Cons

turnover is VERY high, always under staffed, difficult to replace someone who leaves

Track turnover, conduct thorough exit interviews

An OK company

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good bonuses and decent pay

Cons

Not enough support to their projects

Laureate Education Photos