Laureate Education Reviews

195 reviews filtered by
2.6
Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker
Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is manageable if you enforce it for yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Terrible upper management, low employee morale, micromanagment, inconsistency within (in 12 reviews)

1. Okay company to start out but....

Former Employee - Enrollment in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Growth for people right out of college and starting career
    Make good money for call center

Cons

No work life balance in enrollment operations/support
    No defined culture
    Leaders managing teams where they are not qualified
    Interview process for internal positions drags on and clear expectations are not set
    Ask people to do more with less when you are already working 50+ hours

Invest in your people and do more professional development for managers
    Define the culture of the company

2. Internship at Laureate

Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Learned allot of Information and about systems

Cons

The down time in projects not being able to find anything to do

Add more work for Interns

3. Wonderful and successful company to work at

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is super friendly, and willing to help you achieve your goal.
    Their HQ is located downtown Baltimore in the Inner Harbor.

Cons

The only con I can think of is parking.

Company had big intentions, but there was little direction in the execution.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a pleasant experience with the team members that I had the opportunity to work with. The work was challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Unfortunately, corporate leadership was all over the place and there was a constant change in the structure of the organization. It was like they were trying to figure things out on the fly. The move from Baltimore to Columbia, MD was a moral killer.

Listen to your employees.

The leadership is ineffectual, redundant, and fears putting its collective butt on the line

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The education market has become super competitive domestically, which is exciting because you're forced to innovate. Internationally, the opportunities are far greater. And the company recognizes this, allowing colleagues to focus efforts on new and emerging markets so long as the cash cow (i.e., Walden University) remains uncompromised. If you're lucky enough to work with the right leader -- one who is experienced and champions effective change management without fear -- then you can learn a lot and benefit immensely from real, demonstrable progress.

Cons

The leadership is ineffectual and redundant. There are far too many chiefs who fear making big changes without consensus, which is simply impossible, especially with so many superfluous voices. Leadership also fears putting its collective butt on the line, so individuals will wait and wait until someone else makes an important decision -- always at the last second. In the meantime, middle management is left to temporarily patch holes, to work with antiquated technologies, to navigate unclear and nonsensical internal processes, and, in may cases, to just do nothing.

Also, I don't know how some people on Glassdoor can say that the pay and benefits are competitive. I found both to be woefully below market. Perhaps those reviewers are using geography (e.g., Baltimore) as a primary reference/indicator?

Fire half of the leadership and structure the company geographically (keeping the online schools within the U.S. division). Employ more talent from across the country, allowing people to work virtually or from "hubs." Not surprisingly, Baltimore just doesn't attract the best and brightest in the business, so don't expect people to up and move there, especially if they're to be compensated below market.

Also, the IT department desperately requires a complete overhaul. Hire a management consultant firm and heed it findings and recommendations immediately.

PSID employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

Good benefits and pay, if you can put up with the demands

Cons

Executive level and management put employees in difficult situations.
    Expected to check email all the time even when on personal leave. You feel like its a 24/7 job with no time away.
    After rounds of layoff job security is always in the back of the mind of employees.
    Far too many 'yes men'

Management stresses 'Healthy Work'. Yet most executives seem to be the route of the 'unhealthy' attitude by promising too much or not having the students in mind. They promote a ‘we can do attitude’ for personal gain without backing up the product. Executives say yes to anything the CEO wants and then set unreachable goals.

Disappointed

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

Great diversity, pay, location, growing company

Cons

Opportunities for job movement, lack of management accountability, vacation

work work work

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

The location is nice and you are near Whole Foods.

Cons

all you will do is work, all hours of the day, zeo work/life balance.

10. Used to be Such a Great Company. Not Anymore.

I worked at Laureate Education full-time

Pros

Before things changed for the worst, I loved my job working with a great team, received good pay, and there was a great work-life balance...

Cons

Then the company decided to take a turn for the worse and layoff hundreds valuable employees without even giving a single reason.

I had so much love and respect for Laureate and truly enjoyed working there, but unfortunately, like with many companies that are growing and making record profits, they decided to lay off hundreds of great employees without ever revealing a valid reason right before the Thanksgiving holidays, which also added to the pain.

Had Laureate been having financial issues or given us a valid reason for laying off a huge sector of its workforce, I definitely would have rated the company much higher and I wish I could rate them based on how the workplace was during my time there, but the company that remains is not the same company I used to work for.

Outside of there being constant radical changes with Laureate, it seemed to be a great company for the few years I worked there. I worked with a great group of people, had a great supervisor, the pay was good, but everything changed. For a company that claimed to care for its employees and be "HERE FOR GOOD," we were thrown out like nothing without compassion whatsoever and still have yet to find out the reason why. Revenues were growing, enrollment was steady, many costs had already been cut so the only valid reason that I could think of was that the company wanted to increase executive compensation by cutting as many positions as they could and still run the company with outside vendors.

Once again, I wish I could have continued working at Laureate, but after the recent reorganization and modification, I do not believe I could ever work for them again. I hope that they realize their mistake and do their best to correct their mistakes for all of the great work associates that remained, but since I am not there, I do not know which direction they have taken, but after speaking to a few remaining employees, things have unfortunately taken a turn for the worse, many employees who survived the layoffs have left the company, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many others in the process of doing this as well.

Shame on you Laureate for what you have done. You led us to believe that you cared for us and were truly "HERE FOR GOOD," and we devoted ourselves to the betterment of the company and its students, yet so many of your hard working employees (without any disciplinary issues) were thrown out in the street right before the holidays, which in turn leads to an already fragile economy and personally offers pain, stress, torment, crime, divorce, alcoholism, drug use, financial strain, and other family issues. If you were truly "HERE FOR GOOD," you would not have done this and one thing we all would have appreciated more than probably anything, was a reason.

Bad Internship Experience -Intern Disappointment!

Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Good Professional Environment
    -Good Intern Salary
    -Good Location
    -Good global work exposure, interacting with employees sitting at different locations in world and solving there doubts.
    -Good Internship program, increasing interns every year, seems like company's growing!
    -Good tech savvy people working together, but all work is going in vain!
    -Hat's off to tech savvy people, engineer's who work hard to complete each and every project!!!

Cons

-No job training for new interns.
    -No senior colleague shadowing with job level training.
    -Intra department antagonism.
    -Leadership pillars pressuring senior level director's, vp, employee's which in return affect the organizational dynamics of company
    -Some intern directly report to very senior level executive's, like director's and all etc.
    -Even after consistently, reporting HR to change department for internship, it was not taken care off!
    -Some senior employee were leaving the post at same time old employee's who left were brought in for different job designation's.
    -Work for money, no career growth
    -No work appreciation

Stop peer pressuring your Senior level employee's when you exactly don't know what goes on in between department antagonism's. Talent(Intern) is hired by company and it's management's responsibility to keep them engaged in proper department so they are hired full time, unlike there's no reason in hiring for just for summer internship. If you want just for period of three months better find out contractors to complete your unmanaged work!!!

Laureate Education Photos