Laureate Education

Laureate Education Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker

Doug Becker

Pros:
  • "The company is growing and has not really been affected by the recession"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great benefits, great colleagues, great location"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is very little downtime and a work/life balance is nearly impossible to achieve"
    in 15 reviews
  • "No work life balance since people work from 8 AM to 8 PM"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company & Great Staff

Executive Assistant (C Level) (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsExcellent pay, excellent leaders, great remote help if needed, respect work life balance.

ConsHeavy workload - the pay does match this well.

This experience was going great until 3 reorgs happened in one year, and I had to take FMLA for medical reasons.

Web Content Specialist (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsEveryone is friendly, and group atmosphere is fine. Raises are good as long as you don't have medical issues.

ConsThey screw you over and are age discriminatory.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake pride in your employees health and safety. Coming to work when there are 5 inches of snow on the ground is ridiculous. Especially when its considered a state of emergency.

Sr. Analyst

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsInternational, lots of career opportunities within the company, especially outside of the US. International friendly work environments. The Harbor East location is great.

ConsLack of career development, Decentralized organization which who you reports to matter the most, your performance are highly influenced by your supervisor's leadership and style. turnover is higher than average

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do a better job on standardizing the work process

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Unhealthy Culture

ProsSalary is good, benefits are good.

ConsAll politics and confusion. Is going through a "healthy organization" revamping and failing miserably. Senior management and leadership spend most of their time pointing fingers at each other. The turnover in leadership, management and employees is like nothing I've ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the cult of leadership personality and follow best business practices. You can't expect your employees to believe in a healthy, blame-free work environment when leadership spends all of their time trying to roll each other under the bus.

Without perspective

IT Department (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsCompany have strange strategy to not develop employee. After some time you will start to think "What I'm doing here and why I'm wasting my time" Micro Managing plus huge HR programs which should develop are working in opposite way! I saw like many amazing hard working people left because there is no future here.

ConsPlace where you find good people. Probably this misery feeling is making strong bounds. For sure you will gain experience how it is to work in corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen people, Do not create empty HR systems. Maybe some directors are not where they should be...

In no way are employees compensated enough to put up with the terrible work environment (at Corporate)

Director (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsThe pros are good: excellent location (Harbor East); operations in over 30 countries, and on all six inhabited continents - how cool is that?; and the best mission possible - providing education in (primarily) emerging middle class economies.

ConsUnfortunately, the cons totally outweigh the pros: base pay is good (not great), but bonuses are lucky to hit target, and long term incentives are effectively non-existent; there is no consideration of personal time with respect to work - weekends are fair game, conference calls at 9 pm followed by meetings at 9 am, vacations where you are expected to keep your blackberry turned on to respond to emails and to join in on conference calls, etc.. Also, despite the fact that Laureate is incredibly international and diverse, the company is run like a confederacy - loosely affiliated fiefdoms, with no concept of the benefits of centralized controls.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach - if you say you are going to take control of the regions, do it; if you see a leader in one role failing, move them laterally to a new role or get rid of them - do not promote them! Also, institute a "no new work after 5 pm" policy - if you forgot to assign something before that time, wait until the next day (and by that I mean next business day). Unless you are talking about student or employee physical safety, there is no way it can be that important.

Still unhealthy

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsThe company has a mission for social change, and there are some pretty amazing people in the organization.

ConsThe vision just isn't realized in the every day culture of Laureate. Senior leaders talk about being healthy and setting employees up for success, and succeeding when the right employees work together but still challenge one another, but managers want to work with people like themselves. They support the employees they like, and let everyone else fend for themselves, so no matter how many successes you earn for the team, the only reward you receive is the opportunity to keep working. Opportunities to grow within the organization are offered to the favorites, not necessarily to the strongest employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate the leaders who manage the departments and teams by how healthy those groups really are.

Exciting, fast-paced and international

Baltimore, MD

Pros-Great office and location in Baltimore (Harbor East)
    -The work is really challenging and there is plenty of it to do-I've enjoyed working closely with other smart people that work as hard as I do.
    -Lots of interaction with international colleagues and teams at Laureate's institutions: Latin America, Europe, Africa, Asia
    -The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world.

Cons-Work is fast paced and priorities sometimes turn on a dime, can be frustrating at first until you are used to it

Mehhh

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

Pros- the company offers great pay starting out. Above the standard rate in my area
    - Great co-workers really make the day go faster.
    - They allow some flexibility in your schedule which is great.

ConsTerrible upper management, low employee morale, micromanagment, inconsistency within upper management, constant change in policies and procedures. Very hard to move up in the company, and if a position to move up is availalbe they will usually find someone from the outside the company to fill it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the employees instead of focusing only on the numbers. Reward employees when they do well. Provide avenues of moving up in the company.

Lack of upper managment

IT (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsYou will meet great people here and gain experience. You should be happy for the very first year.

ConsCompany is know as wall of ignorance. Upper managment is completely deaf. There is no career path. Your manager usually is lost in hundreds of meetings without touch with real people on the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to the people, stop creating empty programs to improve relationships but start to listen people starting from the basic positions.

Worked for Laureate Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Laureate Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Laureate Education CEO Doug Becker. All 130 reviews posted anonymously by Laureate Education employees.