Laureate Education

Updated December 16, 2014
2.5

Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker
Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is manageable if you enforce it for yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Terrible upper management, low employee morale, micromanagment, inconsistency within (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Not for organized or logical people...

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education

Pros

The people that were the same level as myself were great. I had a fantastic team, really nice, good people that made me smile everyday. The location (harbor east) was great, very convenient for errands during lunch or after hours and there is a gym in the building.

Cons

Management or "leadership" as they call themselves, are the farthest thing away from any leader I have ever seen. The communication from top down is horrific. Most recently, they laid off an entire office in LA with no warning. They take forever to make any decision, it's like they aren't sure who is really in charge. It can be extremely confusing when information is communicated in different ways and at different times. There is no explanation of why things are happening and no one will offer to help. If you are hoping for professional development, look elsewhere, that does not happen in any shape here. Unless you can become best friends with a manager or be number one on your team, don't even think people will consider you for other positions, and maybe not even with those conditions. Very unpredictable, new policies are implemented with less than a minute notice. I tried to quit and my manager didn't send my notice to HR, and I ended up working more than I intended to. I was given mixed messages on when my last day would be, just very unclear and unprofessional.

LISTEN to your employees. DONT share information that you haven't been authorized to do yet. BE UNDERSTANDING, we are human beings not machines. BE PROFESSIONAL. Follow through on your word. Communication is key in any business, do it better.

Enrollment Advisor

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Greatest health benefits ever. Enjoyed working with great students along the way.

Cons

Horrible management. Inept in every respect. Company must be doing horrible as they are closing office and laying people off left and right.

I hope instead of getting rid of people by the hundreds that management will be over hauled at the top. This team has destroyed everything they have touched from National Hispanic University to New School to closing down an entire office.

Laureate = Diploma Mill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of young people, good location

Cons

This place is a diploma mill.They award advanced degrees to students who can barely write a coherent sentence, and while billing themselves as an academic institution, it is still very much about profit--even if it means devaluing educational worth by graduating students who could never survive a bricks and mortar program.

It is also a highly political and unfriendly environment. I kept my head down while I was there, but I listened a lot, and heard way more than I wanted to--mostly people badmouthing people on other teams, complaining constantly and gossiping nonstop. In the time I was there, no one from my team ever took the time to speak to me, and despite my own efforts at friendliness, I often went entire weeks without speaking to anyone on my own team. It was very disappointing and demoralizing. I've always had good relationships at previous jobs and been prone to making friends, but I can't say I walked away from this employer with a single relationship I cared to maintain.

Discourage employees from badmouthing each other and encourage better cooperation and collegiality between different divisions and teams.

Constant evolving environment, providing excellent work conditions and benefits, empowering employees to excel.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Tegucigalpa (Honduras)
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Tegucigalpa (Honduras)

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great work environment and benefits.
    - Challenging and Innovative Goals
    - High Impact and Visibility
    - Inter-nationality
    - Tech-Saavy company and employees
    - Young and Entrepreneurial Employees

Cons

- Most visibility is for Academic oriented Staff.

Joined with great hope and expectations, currently disappointed with senior leadership short sightedness.

Current Employee - Online Course Development in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Online Course Development in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was a lot of potential and at one time was cutting edge in regards to online learning. However, this no longer exists.

Cons

Wastes opportunities for potential by not listening or trusting staff

Get rid of senior leaders who only seem focused on bottom line thinking and are not looking forward or allowing for innovation. There was a lot potential, until recently when it was removed. In your efforts to be unique and innovative, you are now satisfied with mediocrity. This organization is no longer cutting edge.

Superficial Mission

Current Employee - Director of Program Design
    Current Employee - Director of Program Design

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Attractive entry salary, large organization = great benefits (esp for dependents), exceptionally talented and dedicated employees, access to leaders in many fields, huge learning potential and growth opportunities for stretch assignments

Cons

Despite access to thought leaders and latest research in change management, leadership, and learning, little is reflected in the culture and practice of the organization. Fast paced innovation needs cannot be met due to outdated technologies, poor program management practices, inefficient processes, and poor communication pathways. Upper level leadership frequently carries out massive org changes without effective analysis of existing/needed roles/responsibilities and complete disregard for existing talent. Professional bullying is rampant and perpetuated with lack of insight into leadership decisions and unhealthy work ethic expectations. Burnout and mismanaged talent frequently leads to high turnover and upper level leadership has no training or succession plans for replacement, leading to costly "ramp up" phases for projects. The mission of "here for good" is jeopardized by not investing in the people of the organization and very rarely acknowledging staff dedication or accomplishments except in overly superficial ways. Culture if fear and anxiety is perpetuated by mass layoffs and office closures in some areas yet massive new hires and openings in other areas and no communication or visibility into the trajectory, rationale, or goals of the business.

Practice what you preach. Your workforce believes in the mission yet you don't reflect it for your people and certainly not in your culture. Healthy organization and trust cannot fully be realized if you as higher management do not practice and model it first. Your teams produce exemplary products but many leadership decisions, communication, and practices contradict the essence of what is created.

A good run.

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is the people. This organization is built by a professional and diverse team of individuals who sincerely care about the institutional mission and goals by ensuring to promote "social change." Work life was simple and balanced. Although it was a stressful and fast paced work environment, it was still manageable. Time off was easy to request, even if it was the same day. Work and lunch schedules were flexible. The benefits package was more than satisfactory by offering HMO's, PPO, dental, vision, 401K, paid time off, vacation, bereavement, FSA, and tuition discounts of 70% off for employees and 25% off for immediate family members.

Cons

Quality leads were hard to come by. Marketing at times utilized poor lead generators and the statistics communicated to us were less than convincing on how leads convert to enrollment. Management lacked training and support from higher leadership in Baltimore. Information cascading from leadership seemed under researched and vague. Executives and their advisors struggled to establish organizational culture. The organization offered very little to zero growth opportunities. Empathy and quality communication could have at least been rehearsed when announcing our office closure. About 100 employees found out that they were without a job the very same day due to operation costs and the communication could have been more tactful.

It would behoove management to first and foremost establish a quality organizational culture that radiates a sincere care for their employees, students, and communities. Restructure the chain of command. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. Seek new methods to motivate your people, especially managers. Give them the tools to be efficient leaders so that they may lead by example and offer expertise to their enrollment advisors. Establish an effective compensation system regarding CRD (employee self evaluation). The employee self evaluation system is rather tedious and redundant. Employees are measured on a thin margin only to receive a minuscule increase, percentage, or no increase at all. Burn out occurs all to frequently and it is recommended that new strategies and attempts to build morale be sought.

Good pay/benefits doesn't make up for lack of leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are the biggest draw and will keep you in long after you've decided it's time to start looking elsewhere.

Cons

The office culture is one of Yes-Men. If you are not one of these Yes-Men, you will likely be looking at the door quickly. Senior management routinely touts that they want a healthy environment and want the employees to be able to work towards the best outcome, but do little to actively re-enforce it. Promotions within the company frequently come to those who get in good with senior management.

The work-life balance is manageable if you enforce it for yourself. Management will happily keep you all hours if they feel you'll agree to it.

There is very little in the way of training. Expect to do most of this on your own time and dollar.

Consider investing in your employees. Very rarely is someone considered more than what their job duties lists them as being capable of.

Great potential, not realized

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fast paced and exciting, opportunities for advancement if you seek them aggressively. Great office location in Harbor East, terrific co-workers. You can see the difference you're making for students.

Cons

Upper leadership appears disorganized; many abrupt changes in management and direction; mass layoffs.

Madness

I worked at Laureate Education full-time

Pros

Wonderful smart people to work with.

Cons

Redesign madness without consideration for the capital - smart and dedicated people - they have invested in. The culture they advocate for (and for which dedicated employees do in spades) is a sham.

No advice to management, because they will do what they will do.

Laureate Education Photos