Laureate Education Reviews

197 reviews filtered by
2.6
Laureate Education Founder, Chairman and CEO Doug Becker
Doug Becker

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly and has a great mission to expand education around the world (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, great colleagues, great location (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is manageable if you enforce it for yourself (in 22 reviews)

• Terrible upper management, low employee morale, micromanagment, inconsistency within (in 12 reviews)

1. Marketing Intern

I worked at Laureate Education

Pros

Learned a lot, friendly, welcoming, helpful

Cons

Very busy atmosphere, during a transition period

Advice to Management

Promote from within

Management Inefficiency

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Chance to meet and work with people from all over the world.

Cons

The CFO is hated throughout the organization and he makes people's lives miserable. The company does not hire from within. They are in love with people with degrees from big schools who demand big salaries but who don't know how to get things done. And the company has struggled for years to get ready for an IPO but the ownership structure is so flimsy they can't consolidate much of the crap they bought. It's a bad place to be.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the excess management, show appreciation for the people who really get things done, and get rid of that lame CFO.

Okay company to start out but....

Former Employee - Enrollment in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Growth for people right out of college and starting career
    Make good money for call center

Cons

No work life balance in enrollment operations/support
    No defined culture
    Leaders managing teams where they are not qualified
    Interview process for internal positions drags on and clear expectations are not set
    Ask people to do more with less when you are already working 50+ hours

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and do more professional development for managers
    Define the culture of the company

5. Wonderful and successful company to work at

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is super friendly, and willing to help you achieve your goal.
    Their HQ is located downtown Baltimore in the Inner Harbor.

Cons

The only con I can think of is parking.

6. Internship at Laureate

Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Learned allot of Information and about systems

Cons

The down time in projects not being able to find anything to do

Advice to Management

Add more work for Interns

Used to be Such a Great Company. Not Anymore.

I worked at Laureate Education full-time

Pros

Before things changed for the worst, I loved my job working with a great team, received good pay, and there was a great work-life balance...

Cons

Then the company decided to take a turn for the worse and layoff hundreds valuable employees without even giving a single reason.

Advice to Management

I had so much love and respect for Laureate and truly enjoyed working there, but unfortunately, like with many companies that are growing and making record profits, they decided to lay off hundreds of great employees without ever revealing a valid reason right before the Thanksgiving holidays, which also added to the pain.

Had Laureate been having financial issues or given us a valid reason for laying off a huge sector of its workforce, I definitely would have rated the company much higher and I wish I could rate them based on how the workplace was during my time there, but the company that remains is not the same company I used to work for.

Outside of there being constant radical changes with Laureate, it seemed to be a great company for the few years I worked there. I worked with a great group of people, had a great supervisor, the pay was good, but everything changed. For a company that claimed to care for its employees and be "HERE FOR GOOD," we were thrown out like nothing without compassion whatsoever and still have yet to find out the reason why. Revenues were growing, enrollment was steady, many costs had already been cut so the only valid reason that I could think of was that the company wanted to increase executive compensation by cutting as many positions as they could and still run the company with outside vendors.

Once again, I wish I could have continued working at Laureate, but after the recent reorganization and modification, I do not believe I could ever work for them again. I hope that they realize their mistake and do their best to correct their mistakes for all of the great work associates that remained, but since I am not there, I do not know which direction they have taken, but after speaking to a few remaining employees, things have unfortunately taken a turn for the worse, many employees who survived the layoffs have left the company, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many others in the process of doing this as well.

Shame on you Laureate for what you have done. You led us to believe that you cared for us and were truly "HERE FOR GOOD," and we devoted ourselves to the betterment of the company and its students, yet so many of your hard working employees (without any disciplinary issues) were thrown out in the street right before the holidays, which in turn leads to an already fragile economy and personally offers pain, stress, torment, crime, divorce, alcoholism, drug use, financial strain, and other family issues. If you were truly "HERE FOR GOOD," you would not have done this and one thing we all would have appreciated more than probably anything, was a reason.

Bad Internship Experience -Intern Disappointment!

Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Education as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Good Professional Environment
    -Good Intern Salary
    -Good Location
    -Good global work exposure, interacting with employees sitting at different locations in world and solving there doubts.
    -Good Internship program, increasing interns every year, seems like company's growing!
    -Good tech savvy people working together, but all work is going in vain!
    -Hat's off to tech savvy people, engineer's who work hard to complete each and every project!!!

Cons

-No job training for new interns.
    -No senior colleague shadowing with job level training.
    -Intra department antagonism.
    -Leadership pillars pressuring senior level director's, vp, employee's which in return affect the organizational dynamics of company
    -Some intern directly report to very senior level executive's, like director's and all etc.
    -Even after consistently, reporting HR to change department for internship, it was not taken care off!
    -Some senior employee were leaving the post at same time old employee's who left were brought in for different job designation's.
    -Work for money, no career growth
    -No work appreciation

Advice to Management

Stop peer pressuring your Senior level employee's when you exactly don't know what goes on in between department antagonism's. Talent(Intern) is hired by company and it's management's responsibility to keep them engaged in proper department so they are hired full time, unlike there's no reason in hiring for just for summer internship. If you want just for period of three months better find out contractors to complete your unmanaged work!!!

Corporate Finance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location, Good compensation package, good company -- room for growth, highly diverse

Cons

Management is ineffective, can't make decisions.
    Poor direction from managers
    Micromanage
    High school environment with office politics
    Need to be more flexible when working late hours (Still expected to be there at 9am when working past 11pm -- 14 hour days)
    Floating deadlines that never get met because management cannot make decisions until the last minute (and then sometimes change their mind again)

Advice to Management

Fire half of your "managers." Most don't even manage anyone, and perform the work of a staff or senior. More staff/seniors would help improve efficiency and create a better working atmosphere. Have hard deadlines to motivate employees to finish their work, most know management will push deadlines due to their own ineffectiveness to meet them.

work work work

I have been working at Laureate Education

Pros

The location is nice and you are near Whole Foods.

Cons

all you will do is work, all hours of the day, zeo work/life balance.

The leadership is ineffectual, redundant, and fears putting its collective butt on the line

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The education market has become super competitive domestically, which is exciting because you're forced to innovate. Internationally, the opportunities are far greater. And the company recognizes this, allowing colleagues to focus efforts on new and emerging markets so long as the cash cow (i.e., Walden University) remains uncompromised. If you're lucky enough to work with the right leader -- one who is experienced and champions effective change management without fear -- then you can learn a lot and benefit immensely from real, demonstrable progress.

Cons

The leadership is ineffectual and redundant. There are far too many chiefs who fear making big changes without consensus, which is simply impossible, especially with so many superfluous voices. Leadership also fears putting its collective butt on the line, so individuals will wait and wait until someone else makes an important decision -- always at the last second. In the meantime, middle management is left to temporarily patch holes, to work with antiquated technologies, to navigate unclear and nonsensical internal processes, and, in may cases, to just do nothing.

Also, I don't know how some people on Glassdoor can say that the pay and benefits are competitive. I found both to be woefully below market. Perhaps those reviewers are using geography (e.g., Baltimore) as a primary reference/indicator?

Advice to Management

Fire half of the leadership and structure the company geographically (keeping the online schools within the U.S. division). Employ more talent from across the country, allowing people to work virtually or from "hubs." Not surprisingly, Baltimore just doesn't attract the best and brightest in the business, so don't expect people to up and move there, especially if they're to be compensated below market.

Also, the IT department desperately requires a complete overhaul. Hire a management consultant firm and heed it findings and recommendations immediately.

Laureate Education Photos