Laureate Online Education

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.4

Douglas Becker

Great people, but disconnected executive leadership

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Laureate Online Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people
    Numerous opportunities for growth
    Financially stable and growing organization
    Ability to create a more positive student experience
    Ethical business practices

Cons

Executive leadership appears to be disconnected and unhealthy
    Business knowledge and expertise is not easily accessible across departments
    Inverted pyramid is theoretical but ideas are often stifled
    Behind the technological 8 ball from both a system and support perspective

No need to reinvent the wheel. Leverage consultants, systems, or tools that are proven to work well rather than trying to build a home-grown, custom solution that is unsustainable and often less effective than an out of the box solution.

Going downhill fast

Former Employee - Course Developer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Course Developer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Laureate Online Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company states a good mission, to change lives through education. It has many talented, dedicated individuals who work hard towards accomplishing that mission.

Cons

The management is terrible. Despite claims of innovation, the organization is incredibly conservative. It takes months, if not years, to make fairly straightforward decisions. Often, the decision is undone as soon as the first snag shows up. The organization seems to do its best to create an environment of fear and distrust. Their is little recognition for accomplishments or heroic effort unless you are at least a director. Promotions seem to be based on favoritism, not qualifications. There is practically no professional development, unless you do it on your own. Heath insurance is really good, but salaries and other benefits are no better than industry average. HR tries to save a few dollars here and there with little exclusions, and it really hurts employee morale. They do their best to avoid making any accommodations. The company seems to be trying to cut costs so that it will look better in an IPO. It may be setting itself up for a downward spiral.

Get your heads out of the bucket and do some real leadership. Take all the concerns about treating the students with consideration and respect, and apply them to your employees as well. During the recent layoffs, The only way you could have killed morale more would have been to bring in armed guards. With all the talk about "healthy organization," why haven't you noticed that the place is getting sicker?

Not for the people

Former Employee - Web Content Management in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Web Content Management in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Laureate Online Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hires right out of college, friendly VP's, 70% off higer education.

Cons

No working from home, doesn't care about home life. When I had a medical issue, I was reprimanded for missed time, even though it was FMLA. I was unable to drive, since no WFH was allowed via my boss, not the company, I missed more time than alloted. When I finally put my two weeks notice in, they took all projects from other co-workers and gave it to me, to make my life a living hell for my last 2 weeks.

Consider taking a harder look at the work-life balance. For being a Salaried company, hours are not flexible. Sick/Vacation time must be taken for doctor's appointments etc. And this is solely on a person by person case. Some people in my department could miss time and not get charged, others couldnt.

Good to Great requires senior management to be leaders

I have been working at Laureate Online Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

high growth company, nice people to work with

Cons

Education company that has lost sight of the student and is only focused on how much profit they can make. The senior leadership fights with each other for territory. Paula promotes good - to great but doesnt understand that her leadership team do not lead that way

Step back and ask the people who work for you what is wrong with the company rather than bringing in consultants who bond with the senior team and give you the view from the top you have really great people who are so frustrated because no one wants to hear what they have to say

Frustrating professional experience: a culture of constant change but little improvement!

Current Employee - Non-managerial E-Learning Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Non-managerial E-Learning Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Online Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many of my peers were great to work with and very supportive of each other. When the workload got heavy - which it often did - they helped each other out and kept everyone's spirits up. The benefits and healthcare were good.

Cons

The leadership is disconnected from the employees and disrespectful of their needs. It is very hard to get ideas for better work-place practices considered. Employees are overworked and the project deadlines constantly change, which makes it hard to plan properly.

Don't keep and promote poor managers!

Opportunities ...if you know how to leverage them!

Current Employee - Middle Management in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Online Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Start-up culture, growth, autonomy, smart colleagues.

Cons

Lack of transparency. Cliques. Cohesion (no holiday party/company picnic).

Improve communication and development opportunities.

Product Development Group provides challenging work but a grueling and arbitrary work environment

Former Employee - Course Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Course Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Laureate Online Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laureate develops courses and programs for a variety of partner universities all over the world, including Walden University. They have a social justice mission statement that fuels the flavor and types of programs you will work on in subjects like teacher education, business, nursing, psychology, and computer science. The content can be very engaging and what you will help to produce is rewarding because it helps the individuals that take these courses go out into their community and make life better for everyone. Most of the people I worked with stayed there for years DESPITE being miserable and overworked because we just loved how rewarding the end product was to create.

Cons

The senior leadership never really changes. They just rotate a few key people around from position to position and they flow back and forth between a silo model where domains are run like fiefdoms and thus become cult-of-personalities with varying work environments and product quality to a more centralized 'build it fast and cheap' model with one manager wielding authority over the whole group.

I spent most of my time working under the fiefdom model and since the leaders of my domain where very quality conscious I worked hard but was very proud of what I was a part of. I eventually left when they were transitioning to the centralized model, along with many others, because the standards that were being developed by which to judge the quality of the product and the team members themselves were completely divorced from reality. Writing a great course is not an entirely objective process - it involves creativity - and as such there needs to be an environment that supports that. But the new standards were entirely PROCESS focused and squeezed out the humanity required to write truly inspired curriculum.

It breaks my heart to hear from my colleagues that stayed because now they are frustrated by the ridged and arbitrary bureaucracy and don't feel they are allowed to make high quality courses anymore. Quality has given way to cost-effective expediency.

Recognize that Laureate doesn't make widgets. The course development process cannot be utterly standardized or uniform because curriculum is both art and science. The people hired are deeply committed educators who care about quality. Honor and respect their passion and experience and let them do their work in a flexible and organic way. Quality standards and controls are necessary but this should flow from well-trained frontline managers such as senior course developers and program designers. This model has made Laureate successful in the past. Go back to nourishing the integrity of the people who create, rather than stifle them with some 'father knows best,' one-size-fits-all set of standards.

Nice people, wrong senior management!

I have been working at Laureate Online Education full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, great people and interesting academic portfolio

Cons

SeSenior management - communication and US cannibalizing the EU. Too much top down and no process and IT centric company.
    No (apparently) holistic vision, and as usual when the problems starts the first to go are the “little people” but instead those who
    Put us there are re assigned. Saw that before, but here is flagrant.
    nior management - communication and US canabalizing the EU. Too much top down and no process.

Online education in name only.

If you chose employee for their skills and expertise, listen to them when they give you advices and best practices.

Gainsharing is not a good business model for instructors

Current Employee - Instructor in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Laureate Online Education as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great global student body. Wonderful colleagues.

Cons

Laureate partners with various schools to provide online education. The University of Liverpool partnership is not profitable at this time so faculty are taking a pay cut. Pay will increase as the number of students grows. This pay cut does not sit well with faculty.

Reduce overhead by cutting administrative costs in the back office. Cutting instructor salaries is a very unwise decision.

Gdansk office

Current Employee - Enrolment Advisor in Gdańsk (Poland)
    Current Employee - Enrolment Advisor in Gdańsk (Poland)

I have been working at Laureate Online Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, quite flexible working hours, salary is ok, when you're a graduate without any experience, HR is very organised

Cons

No posiibilities of development, forget about getting promoted, lack of proper training, it's difficult to get a salary rise, even if you have good results, it's becoming more and more like a call center - smile and dial philosophy,

Don't ask your emplyees to speak their mind and then hold their opinions against them