Lavalife

Add Photos

Ron Duke

Very good company

I worked at Lavalife full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are friendly. Nice location. Management encourage you to explore next tech. Have a chance to get training.

ConsBusiness was facing lots of challenges in market.

Has its pros and cons

I worked at Lavalife

ProsGood management of people. Lots of opportunity to grow. Decent benefits with lots of flexibility for work from a home or an office.

ConsHigh turnover rate, very negative feedback from competitors. Low salaries, with little or no opportunity to advance. Would recommend it as a starting point.

It was fun, but also disappointing

Customer Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lavalife

ProsVery laid back environment
Entertaining calls

ConsWas only part time
I and many others were laid off
headsets sometimes didn't work
didn't get my own cubicle had to go in a different one everytime

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more organized. Have working devices at all stations and offer cubicles to all workers.

Loving the Lavalife!

I worked at Lavalife

ProsGreat brand, people who are passionate about what they do, a pioneer in technology-based meeting services. Our new offices offer a great working environment. Very entrepreneurial.

ConsIt's a very flat organization so if you're looking for fancy titles, lots of direct reports, your own office, corporate perqs, this is not the place for you. When we say fast-paced, we really mean fast-paced.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease focus on customers and customer satisfaction, as well as innovation. Especially during a recession, focusing on the customer counts.

The Glory Days are Over

I worked at Lavalife

ProsThey pay well and have relatively low expectations.

ConsIts hard to get anything done. They have a very deep set corporate culture that prevents them from being adaptive to the market. They're business is sinking. Not a ship I'd recommend getting on board with.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up to the realities around you. Your company could be fantastic, but you're seriously lagging behind your American counterparts both publicly in the market and with the internal culture. Get rid of that one remaining founder.

The Empress Has No Clothes!

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Lavalife

ProsNeat industry, lots of challenges in different dating verticals (voice,web, mobile).
US, Canadian and Australian markets offer plenty of challenges for a person.
Strong developer team with good foundations that keeps it all together.
Last couple years has seen a big cultural / management shift in company. So far results are less than stellar and morale is heading south fast. Good people are leaving, layoffs include personal grudges so people are getting fed up.
No compensation, bonus, incentives applied to keep team cohesive - poor communication down to the troops from Senior Mgmt.
Lack of true leaders.
Bottomline: Neat industry, cool challenges - ruined by poor senior mgmt.

ConsManagement - if you were part of the "in crowd" you could walk on water.
If you weren't blessed with this - your issues / proposals / suggestions would fall on deaf ears.
Only a handful of management actually grasp the business details - but are not in a position to fix the problems with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOust the CEO - She's killing the culture and potential of the company.

Flashy company on the outside - but very dull and mundane to work for.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Lavalife

ProsVery cool market to be in. Groups of good, motivated people.

ConsLack of direction from top down. Almost as if the top management is clueless on where to head this company. Sr. Management would like you to believe that they have it under control. However, the lack of motivation, direction is evident on the work floor. Middle management is average, with a bunch of people just trying to do their job. Way too many egos, personalities to deal with. No job security - you are just a number, and that's it. Serious lack of honest and frank communication within the org. Way to political for a company this size.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together or perish.

Cool Web 2.0 Company ... stuck in 1.0 world.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lavalife

ProsIts a fun and challenging market. Alot of change occuring providing alot of market opportunities. Web, voice, advertising, magazines and cell phone products Lavalife has alot of cool things going on. Never a dull moment with very unusual "customer needs" to build for. Fun diverse group of people from all walks of life and experiences.

ConsStuck with a 20 year old culture that is risk averse. Status quo is always preferred to experimenting. You are only as good as your last month's results.

CEO has her favourites and ignores the rest - so if you happen to be in the "it" group - anything's possible - people, budget and tech team attention. If not... forget any radical projects that might really improve the company... Since the Top Down communication is really horrible its very hard to appreciate if this favourtism is to the companies benefit or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many "pet projects" not enough focus on real business and real mission at Lavalife. Listen to staff for feedback - go beyond the senior mgmt party line. This lack of real communication is marginalizing good people make them rip targets for head hunters.

Worked for Lavalife? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lavalife reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lavalife CEO Ron Duke. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Lavalife employees.