Law Bulletin Publishing Reviews

2.2
Sandy Macfarland

1. Secretary

I worked at Law Bulletin Publishing part-time

Pros

Good experience. Management explains and answers questions. The people
    you work with are nice and helpful, and the software is modernized.

Cons

At times, there isn't a clear path to advancement.

2. Run!!

I have been working at Law Bulletin Publishing full-time

Pros

Great hours, rarely have I ever stayed past 5 in the last 8 months! Some great coworkers who I've learned a great deal of information from.

Cons

Rarely do you NEED to do more then the absolute minimum. Very difficult to get new, brighter ideas to the table because all the old-timers are used to doing it this way for 30 years. I have been told they will NOT change ANYTHING because its the way they have done it for 15 years! Oh, did I mention they are run by a family and have numerous teams with family (father/daughter, husband/wife....).yeah, that alone will want you to RUN!!!

Advice to Management

Get some young blood in here to change it up. I almost get a feeling of a funeral home with the lack of young talent.

3. Working for a family owned business has been a great experience.

I have been working at Law Bulletin Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for a 5th generation family owned company has been a very positive experience. Seeing the CEO and upper level management on a daily basis, you are fully aware how hard they work for the company and their employees. Work/life balance is another big pro that while you are expected to work hard during office hours, evenings and weekends are completely your own.

Cons

Unfortunately there is no casual Friday and a less than modern attitude towards work attire.

Advice to Management

Continue to be visible and available to employees. Also continue to stay current with websites, social media and other technology to promote the company and the products we offer.

5. IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Law Bulletin Publishing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are nice, and my supervisor is a great guy. You're given a lot of independence and the opportunity to do more interesting work if you take the initiative. It's not a bad way to get a foot in the door, so long as the door is working in tech and not advancing at LBPC. It's a good place to gain experience.

Cons

The pay is terrible, the higher levels of management are mysterious, corporate dinosaurs who you will never, ever see. It is possible to advance, but only to another position that pays significantly less than any other company. There is no incentive to anything more than the absolute minimum, the company will not notice or care (or give you a raise) whether you are the most amazing employee there or barely show up. Also, if your looking at corporate, it seems to REALLY help to be a white man.

They are obsesses with your time card. Every time I come or go it's documented in door fob reports, your own self-reported time-card, a daily status report you send to your supervisor, and they're cheap web-based punch-card. I spend half -an-hour clocking out every day!!

Advice to Management

Give people raises, give them training and resources. Give them any incentive at all besides the terrible pay. The turn-over rate here is ridiculous because you pay less than anyone else AND hound us constantly about whether we're trying to steal 6 minutes of unreported lunch break. Trust your employees to do their jobs, and to know how to do them better than you do.

Hire, keep, and use quality people. Management at LBPC seems to only be any good at the hiring part.

6. Infrastructure Executive

I have been working at Law Bulletin Publishing

Pros

Small convenient company..easy work life

Cons

Poor management control of process

7. Accounts

I have been working at Law Bulletin Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People, Family Owned, Good Hours

Cons

Low Salary, not a lot of room for growth

Advice to Management

Give Raises

Don't do it!

I have been working at Law Bulletin Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say about LBPC is about the people that work there. My coworkers were all well-rounded, educated, interesting people who are dedicated and loyal professionals.

Oh, and you get off at the same time every day.

Cons

Compensation was absurdly disproportionate to the amount of responsibility that was expected of someone with my experience and job title. As in low pay, high responsibility, add on top of that an arbitrary job title.

If you want to work for the good ol' boys network, LBPC is your place. Very few women were promoted during my time there and it's hard to find any in the management/executive positions. Not to mention, the men were more catty then any of the women I encountered.

Advice to Management

Consider being fair and ethical instead of completely unreasonable at all levels. You guys continually shoot yourselves in your own foot.

If you want good work and want LBPC to be a top contender in the future, give the people who work there the resources to succeed.

Give them a higher salary, a better commission, give them an expense account, something...anything!

Actually, you might just want to revamp your entire business model.

And hire different IT people.

9. Old fashioned, overly corporate and cheap

I have been working at Law Bulletin Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are nice and it's close to public transportation. Most work I performed was pretty easy.

Cons

Nothing really modern about this place. Work wasn't even challenging. When I started I was given projects from my manager with no direction. I feel like my manager isn't even involved in what I'm doing and has no idea what our team is doing. You have to dress "up" every day. There are no casual days. No free food or anything. People actually buy the office food on their birthday which is a definite change from the atmosphere I've had in other jobs. The equipment in some work spaces is really old and it's difficult to get replacements. Some teams are overworked and stressed out due to lack of number of employees and proper management. You are expected to work above and beyond with no vision or incentives. Communication within the office seems to be pretty terrible. Back and forth seems to happen a lot because of this lack of communication or the fact that some employees can't articulate their ideas well enough.

Advice to Management

Make changes. Get some new blood in there. Pay your employees what they are worth. Offer better benefits. Get with the times. If you want your employees to deliver solid results make them feel like they are worth something.

10. High expectations with no support.

I worked at Law Bulletin Publishing part-time

Pros

I really did not like working here. I do not really have much pros. I suppose the building is close to a lot of great lunch options.

Cons

My managers gave me no breathing room. Everything needed to be done in a formulaic way, if you deviate from the formula in any way, you are criticized.

11. Gained some good experience, but not a place for a life career.

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Law Bulletin Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. The staff is generally nice and courteous. Reasonable working hours. Location is good, There is some opportunity for growth.

Cons

Cheap is the watchword of the company. Benefits are subpar and there is little to no incentive to work harder. The office atmosphere of the company seems to be stuck in a time warp (e.g. ties, no casual days, antiquated vaction policies etc.). There is an almost Orwellian obsession with fobbing in and out of the office on time. The technology is very out of date and most improvements to the technology and systems really seem to be held together by tape. The Company is niche player in a very large market and although there are some people trying to move the company forward, there are a lot of internal obstacles and competitors are coming and taking large chunks of marketshare.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and trust them. Come out of your offices and talk to the people in the trenches and find out what is going on. There seem to be far too many layers of Sr. Management personnel for a company of its size.

RSS Feed </> Embed