Law Offices of James Scott Farrin

Add Photos

James Scott Farrin

Paralegal

Paralegal (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsI have never worked for another company that had such a great culture. From day one, I have been made to feel a part of the family at JSF. The leadership is phenomenal and always has a personal touch. This firm has a vision of where they want to go and are good at passing along that vision to their employees. The offices are great, the people are mostly friendly and the work environment is very positive. Management makes decisions based on real world data and is very supportive of staff.

ConsIf you start at the beginning of the year, you have to put in a lot of time before your vacation time kicks in. Some people may be bothered that everything is tracked to improve performance - it doesn't bother me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work - you've created an team and a company that you should be proud of.

A hellish nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome cool coworkers. But you can't become friendly with them because they constantly fire people.

ConsScummy management. This company and it's higher ups demand loyalty and respect, but have none whatsoever for their employees and in return they, especially the "big boss" is not respected by anyone. Don't use them if you need an attorney. They could care less about clients. I referred many people elsewhere because they are an embarrassment. Client's have twelve different paralegals and attorneys who they never meet, which is a huge client complaint. They are a joke to other firms because of the amount of people who try to flee from there and they're never ending job posts. Places don't even bother calling them for employee references because they know their reputation. Don't let the pretty office fool you, it's made up of a lot of trash. So many better firms out there to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry valuing your employees and clients instead of just valuing money & VERY cheesy TV commercials that people laugh at. Don't be so void of character and class and maybe someday you'll earn real respect.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Paralegal

WC Paralegal (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThis is an excellent mid-sized plaintiff's firm. They reward hard work and are work product and client focused. The benefits and perks are unmatched anywhere. Good metrics, they measure everything. I suppose if you're competent, this is a good thing. Leadership is very good at providing company vision and making you feel a part of it. Offices are impressive.

ConsCan seem unnecessarily "big-brother-ish" and micro-managed. Mass hiring/firing not good for morale. Salaries are mediocre, but bonus structure is excellent and raises are pretty consistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline hiring process to eliminate high turnover. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved my coworkers and always felt appreciated. They took the time to train me properly and my manager was always available to answer questions.

ConsI was a temporary employee so I didn't get any paid time off or benefits. They also did not allow any overtime for us.

Not a good place to work!

Prosthere are a few nice people working here.

ConsThis company does not reprimand its attorneys as they should when they make mistakes. The staff usually takes the blame for it and is reprimanded or fired. Why would you let an attorney who misbehaves stay with a company. You can't trust most people here because they break confidentiality. You must be careful what is said to other people or it will be used against you. Some people here are so envious of other coworkers that they try to cause trouble for other coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a set and get rid of the people who bring down this company. You know who they are and they are still working there!!!

Great Stepping Stone to Law School

Case Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHeavy client contact, learn to manage 80-100 files at once, full benefits, support staff was hardworking and made up of really good people

ConsLots of micromanaging, a lot of busy work that takes away from working on cases and helping clients, seemed to be more focused on numbers versus client satisfaction, a lot of unhappy support staff employees, low pay for support staff

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget about support staff. All of them. Not just the ones who are hitting certain numbers/quotas. Everyone works very hard to achieve client satisfaction.

Lots of structure at that office.

Attorney (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosgood pay and nice perks and generally nice people

Consmicromanagement and too many meetings

Advice to Senior Managementless micromanagement

The worst job experience of my entire life.

Paralegal (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe salary and benefits are as good as any large firm.

ConsThe use of fear and intimidation, as well as bullying, by management. Cruel gossip is encouraged and spread against almost every employee. The expressed need for every paralegal to do the work of two or three paralegals due to company overextending themselves in costs of the Pigford black farmers class action suit. Clients are becoming frustrated due to high turnover in personnel and lack of continuity and follow up with their concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no need for bullying, fear or intimidation tactics. If a department has a very high turnover rate, replace your management.

Unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsA few great co-workers, that's about it.
    Free Bulls and Hurricanes tickets when you could get them.
    Great view of Durham.

ConsMost management is comprised of amateur yes-men.
    Under the guise of transparency, they manage by fear.
    One-way message communication, no real community.
    Obsession over numbers, even gong so far as defining quality as quantity.
    Loyalty is one-way.
    Management doesn't listen to sound advice from employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny advice here would be ignored for the most part. The managers at this firm are arrogant and have no understanding of how to practice law or act in the clients' best interests. I am embarrassed I even worked for a plaintiff's mill. If you are an attorney or any kind of professional, do yourself a favor and don't work here if you value your integrity.

Not my favorite Firm

Case Manager (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsIt's really hard finding good things to say about James Scott Farrin. The benefits package is average. The break room is well stocked. The firm parties are decent.

ConsThere are too many cons to list all of them here. Senior management is a joke, they're more like prison guards than leaders watching and listening to everything you do. Most of them consist of wives and girlfriends of the share holders. Your ethics will be challenged here. If you resist to the Farrin way you will be swiftly terminated and replaced with someone who will give you half the quality for half the price. I despise this place and nearly everyone who works here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have little to no respect for you and way you came into you position. When JSF's doors are permanently closed I will laugh at you.

Worked for Law Offices of James Scott Farrin? Contribute to the Community!