Law Offices of James Scott Farrin

Reset
2.8
James Scott Farrin

1. I love JSF!

Pros

James Scott Farrin is an amazing place to work, and this is coming from someone with the perspective of having worked for terrible management elsewhere. They do so much for their employees and really care about their employee's success. All members of upper management I have interacted with are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Beautiful office, great co-workers, and definitely somewhere I see myself working long-term. We get surprises like they'll bring in breakfast or lunch usually 1-2 times per month, and we have 12 different varieties of coffee that are free every day for employees (saves me money on Starbucks!). They expect a lot out of their employees, so don't apply unless you actually want to do a great job. I can tell JSF really cares about clients and they will go above and beyond to do anything for them.

Cons

I don't have any complaints. Career growth might not be as good as it could be, but besides that this place is great. I feel like a lot of these negative reviews - people really take the good stuff for granted and they just keep wanting more and more. There are far worse places to work....I know, because I've worked there!

2. So so experience

Pros

None that I can think of other than I like most of my colleagues

Cons

Micromanagement , no flexibility , benefits suck

Advice to Management

Need to offer employees more incentives to keep morale up. Offer better benefits and standard holidays , although they think they are offering standard ones

Do not work here!

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office. Occasional tickets to Durham Bulls games or the ability to watch games from the balcony.

Cons

Terrible management. Hostile work environment. Constant micromanaging and oversight. Unrealistic quotas not based on actual quality of work. Lots of talk about loyalty and support for the company without giving loyalty or support to the workers. Regular failure to award raises or bonuses -- followed by talk about how money shouldn't be your motivation to do a good job. Terrible employee morale. Monitoring of phone calls, email and Internet activity. Shady business practices. ... and it all comes from the top down. James Scott Farrin is an ambulance chaser; he's not a good businessman. Don't trust any of the good reviews you see on this site. Management asks employees to write them, and the employees are too afraid not to.

Advice to Management

Close.

A hellish nightmare

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some cool coworkers. But you can't become friendly with them because they constantly fire people.

Cons

Scummy management. This company and it's higher ups demand loyalty and respect, but have none whatsoever for their employees and in return they, especially the "big boss" is not respected by anyone. Don't use them if you need an attorney. They could care less about clients. I referred many people elsewhere because they are an embarrassment. Client's have twelve different paralegals and attorneys who they never meet, which is a huge client complaint. They are a joke to other firms because of the amount of people who try to flee from there and they're never ending job posts. Places don't even bother calling them for employee references because they know their reputation. Don't let the pretty office fool you, it's made up of a lot of trash. So many better firms out there to work for.

Advice to Management

Try valuing your employees and clients instead of just valuing money & VERY cheesy TV commercials that people laugh at. Don't be so void of character and class and maybe someday you'll earn real respect.

Paralegal

Current Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never worked for another company that had such a great culture. From day one, I have been made to feel a part of the family at JSF. The leadership is phenomenal and always has a personal touch. This firm has a vision of where they want to go and are good at passing along that vision to their employees. The offices are great, the people are mostly friendly and the work environment is very positive. Management makes decisions based on real world data and is very supportive of staff.

Cons

If you start at the beginning of the year, you have to put in a lot of time before your vacation time kicks in. Some people may be bothered that everything is tracked to improve performance - it doesn't bother me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - you've created an team and a company that you should be proud of.

7. Paralegal

Former Employee - WC Paralegal in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - WC Paralegal in Durham, NC

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is an excellent mid-sized plaintiff's firm. They reward hard work and are work product and client focused. The benefits and perks are unmatched anywhere. Good metrics, they measure everything. I suppose if you're competent, this is a good thing. Leadership is very good at providing company vision and making you feel a part of it. Offices are impressive.

Cons

Can seem unnecessarily "big-brother-ish" and micro-managed. Mass hiring/firing not good for morale. Salaries are mediocre, but bonus structure is excellent and raises are pretty consistent.

Advice to Management

Streamline hiring process to eliminate high turnover. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

8. Great environment

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time

Pros

I loved my coworkers and always felt appreciated. They took the time to train me properly and my manager was always available to answer questions.

Cons

I was a temporary employee so I didn't get any paid time off or benefits. They also did not allow any overtime for us.

Not a good place to work!

Pros

there are a few nice people working here.

Cons

This company does not reprimand its attorneys as they should when they make mistakes. The staff usually takes the blame for it and is reprimanded or fired. Why would you let an attorney who misbehaves stay with a company. You can't trust most people here because they break confidentiality. You must be careful what is said to other people or it will be used against you. Some people here are so envious of other coworkers that they try to cause trouble for other coworkers.

Advice to Management

Grow a set and get rid of the people who bring down this company. You know who they are and they are still working there!!!

Great Stepping Stone to Law School

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time

Pros

Heavy client contact, learn to manage 80-100 files at once, full benefits, support staff was hardworking and made up of really good people

Cons

Lots of micromanaging, a lot of busy work that takes away from working on cases and helping clients, seemed to be more focused on numbers versus client satisfaction, a lot of unhappy support staff employees, low pay for support staff

Advice to Management

Do not forget about support staff. All of them. Not just the ones who are hitting certain numbers/quotas. Everyone works very hard to achieve client satisfaction.

11. Lots of structure at that office.

Current Employee - Attorney in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Durham, NC

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay and nice perks and generally nice people

Cons

micromanagement and too many meetings

Advice to Management

less micromanagement

RSS Feed </> Embed