Lawrence Hall Youth Services

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.1

CEO

"Rewarding and challenging work environment"

Former Employee - Ttc in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Ttc in Elgin, IL

I worked at Lawrence Hall Youth Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lawrence Hall had some excellent trainers. They provided health benefits,etc. They noted that the job was stressful and set up access to massage, yoga and other wellness seminars in the city.

Cons

Operations of my work site were taken over when another social agency closed. I was laid off two times in 10 months. There was no rotation at that site for on call. The perks were not available at my site. Wages were average.

My experience at LHYS was good and bad. I enjoyed working with at risk youth.

Current Employee - Residential Treatment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Residential Treatment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lawrence Hall Youth Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working with at risk youth, and appreciate the experience that I have gained since working here.

Cons

Management/administration is horrible no accountability for anything. They do not care about the employees at all. They pay honestly is not worth it. Now if you are fresh out of college and need experience, the yes, LHYS is good maybe, but if you are looking for a career this is NOT the place to be. Don't let them sell you on the fake dreams during orientation that you can advance and move around because that is NOT true. As an employee you can not express your concerns without some type of backlash from management/administration. There is not a leadership shown at all either it is all a dictatorship! I have witnessed management speaking about employees in a VERY CONDESCENDING/ NEGATIVE manner and they have shown a great amount of unprofessionalism as well. There are people there that often fear for their job on a day to day basis because it is so much funny business going on. LHYS need a whole need improvement. DCFS needs to review some of the things that is going on here there as policies, procedures etc. Employees getting hurt no support from upper management/administration... supervisors with "alters" things to keep them out of trouble but is so quick to throw the employees under the bus!! Yes, they show favoritism as well. Like I said you want experience work there for maybe 6 months.. but don't think that you can be the "one person" to make a difference and they notice because it is not going to happen. This is why they lose so many good employees. They take advantage/mistreats the hard working employees and keep all the bad ones that needs to go. I happy for others that leaves ...and find jobs elsewhere. You should be happy to come to work not worried, tired, stress, or waking up day to day saying "I hate my job".... Ill end this by saying if you apply good luck!

There is not chances to advance, I have witness people express their interest in higher positions ( and yes they have the qualifications as far as education, experience and even licensures) but they still get turn down because of being dislike for who they are or just because they don't want to pick them. I have witness others from outside of LHYS get selected and leave within months, but they did not select someone that works there.... Honestly is bad. Now if anything chances then I will change my review. I am not saying this to down the company but I just want others to know that it is not all that crack up to be so don't be fooled in your interviews/trainings.

The environment perpetuates crisis.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lawrence Hall Youth Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience. Flexibility allows creativity. The kids are fun to be around mostly. Great air conditioning

Cons

The best staff work overnight while kids are asleep so no help their. High turnover. Unsafe, understaffed, underpaid, asking non therapists to do therapy work. Lack of enthusiasm, and responsive vs pro active. Great therapy programing limited to clients weekly at best . To much emphasis on medicaid notes compared to staff safety.

Hire more TR and MT. Train staff to do more then useless grouping. Incentivize staff to cut down AWOL by financially incentivizing.

Horrible!

I worked at Lawrence Hall Youth Services full-time

Pros

There are no best reasons to work here. The agency does not respect their employees and can care less about the work environment.

Cons

Benefits
    Pay
    Management
    Turnover rate
    Lack of concern for employees

Close the agency.

Not a great agency

Current Employee - Life Skills Educator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Life Skills Educator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lawrence Hall Youth Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy working with troubled adolescents.

Cons

Terrible salary. Company does not value employees.

Ensure the salary in commensurate with job requirements.

Many parts challenging, some rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lawrence Hall Youth Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The youth that Lawrence Hall serves are some of the most needy in the state. The job, in nature, is rewarding.

Cons

Management style can be difficult to deal with, lack of transparency in administration, high staff turnover leads to lack of chemistry and oft-changing goals and processes. The salaries are also very, very low.

Streamline the agency. By always trying to get ahead, the good ideas created by the agency never fully develop, and are obsolete after several years. They're underserving the youth by giving them a half-effort, while management is making a FULL effort to take in as much money as possible from DCFS and the state. Don't forget the youth!

It's a college job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Lawrence Hall Youth Services

Pros

Great if you like working with kids. It's educational. You get experience dealing with people of all sorts.

Cons

Terrible if you hate dealing with kids/parents. It can be super busy at times, it can be super boring at times

Do your best not to get dragged down by the University. I know budget cuts are always looming, but it's time to find a way to become more financially independent.