Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
www.llnl.gov Livermore, CA 5000+ Employees

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Bret Knapp

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, flexible work hours, casual environment, good benefits"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Depending upon the group you are in you can be doing some cutting edge work"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes you have to deal with a whole lot of red tape and infrastructure"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Parney is no longer the director"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful mission but...

Mid Level Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, exciting work, great place to live

ConsArchaic approach to business; unbelievable stovepipes across the lab; "what's in it for me?"

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like one lab

I interviewed for a position recently

Contract Administrator (Current Employee)
Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice group of people. They seemed organize. Well spoken professionals.

ConsSlow hiring process. The facilities are outdated.

Boring but pleasant

Computer Scientist (Current Employee)
Livermore, CA

ProsGreat technology, good co-workers, laid-back environment

ConsHyper-security focus, stifling bureaucracy, humorless management style.

Advice to Senior ManagementGoogle it up. Give us free orange juice and croissants, add a decent gym, etc. Cheap investments in a positive work environment would make a big difference. Grey undecorated walls and ugly carpets are a drag.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart people, engaging projects, but bureaucracy, budget cuts, and bad management are signs of tough times ahead.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Livermore, CA

ProsReally smart people solving really tough problems. Lots of opportunities to work on really cool projects.

ConsManagement is not addressing and communicating key issues to employees. Parney was just removed because he was looking out for the employees. Budget cuts, salary freezes, and a sense of being stuck in the past are all bad signs for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage your younger workforce or they will start leaving to the private industry that is growing faster by the year in the bay area!

Great work-life balance

Administrative Support (Current Employee)
Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat work-life balance, flexible work hours, casual environment, good benefits

ConsBureaucracy, complex environment with little ability to think outside the box

Advice to Senior ManagementNo recognition of non-technical people

Some Good people horrible upper management

Health & Safety Tech (Former Employee)
Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, that's about it, easy to slack off and do nothing while getting paid.

ConsManagement has no shared vision hostility between projects no sense of teamwork

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to be a for profit company hire some business pros and let scientists be scientists not managers

Generally fair, highly dependent on your working group dynamic and their funding situation

Design Physicist (Current Employee)
Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly and generally supportive environment.
Flexible schedules.

Cons1.9% salary raise last year, and none so far this year. No bonuses unless you receive an award from your division, and you can estimate that to be $100-$300.
Lots of red tape and politics.
Too many meetings - it is hard to get work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers are excellent, but there are just too many managers and that makes it harder to get anything approved. Please hire more young people instead and work on creating an effective mentoring program so that you retain them.

Incompetent Management. Excellent work challenges.

Quality Manager (Current Employee)
Livermore, CA

ProsIncredibly interesting unique challenging work

ConsManagement are narcissists and are inexperienced

Advice to Senior ManagementGet experience and stop hiring incompetent narcissists

Administrative Specialist IV

Administrative Specialist (Former Employee)
Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood work experience including benefits, work hours. This organization believes in training and there are so many options in transferring to other departments without question.

ConsBeing a federally funded government agency relied on Washington DC budget and budget constraints.

Great place to develop technical skills and build a network (due to its proximity to silicon valley).

Cyber Defender (Former Employee)
Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent mentoring program. I was put into a group with which I didn't have much experience, and my supervisors were incredibly helpful in training me in the technologies I needed in order to excel.

The compensation was really high, especially for an internship. Granted, Livermore is an expensive place to live, but I didn't have any trouble getting by during the summer.

The project I worked on had a real-world use, and I was able to make a real contribution during my time there.

They were very flexible with my schedule.

ConsWorking there as an intern, it was frustrating when the first 2 of the 12 weeks I was there were wasted waiting on getting access to start into my project. This is a necessity given their commitment to network security, but it still caused me to waste time.

I had hoped to roll my internship over into a full-time position. Though my supervisors were very supportive of me continuing, the government shutdown made their budgets uncertain. This isn't the lab's fault, but the nature of government funded labs means that politics can affect your employment.

Worked for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Videos

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory – Why Work for Us?

We use science and technology to provide transformational solutions to the most pressing national security challenges of our time. General Information Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a Department of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory CEO Bret Knapp. All 119 reviews posted anonymously by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory employees.