Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Bill Goldstein

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good (in 28 reviews)

• There are a lot of super smart people here that you can work with (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Beware: you will drown in red tape which comes first over science (in 13 reviews)

• Slow to change because of older employee base but they are changing (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to build a career

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I came hare first as a student, then I was a postdoc for a year, and I've been research staff at LLNL for 4 years now. The thing I love most about working here is the people. I work with incredibly smart, motivated people on a daily basis, both in my field (computer science) and out (physicists, chemists, and other scientists). I get to work on some of the largest supercomputers in the world, and I get to have an impact on the design of parallel applications that run on thousands or millions of processors at once. There just aren't that many places you can do that, and there are fewer where the experts in the field are right around the corner. The problems LLNL tackles are not only interesting, they're important to national security, which makes them more fulfilling in a lot of ways. Saving the world from asteroid attacks? People here are working on that. Exploring new states of matter and new ways to build predictive simulations for it? That too. Working in High Performance Computing will expose you to new fields and directions you just don't get out of a typical CS degree, and you'll gain valuable experience by working on projects like these. If you're not as interested in mission-driven science, LLNL supports lots of basic science research, too. If you are planning to build a career here, you should know that LLNL is a great place for entrepreneurial scientists. If you are interested in building something, and if you have the drive and motivation to stick with it, you can come here, start your own project, and build a team to pursue your vision. As an example: many labs do not allow postdocs to apply for their own funding, but at LLNL it is encouraged. Postdocs can apply for internal Lab-Directed Research and Development funding (LDRD), and once you're staff, you can pursue a number of external competitive proposal calls from the DOE Office of Science. There are also opportunities to get long-term programmatic funding for your project, if it turns out to be successful.

Cons

It can be difficult to figure out exactly how the lab works. If you're the type of person who comes in, talks to people, and asks a lot of questions, you'll quickly learn by word of mouth. As far as documentation for new employees, or a road map for your career, well, the lab's not so good at that. It's up to you -- the lab rewards initiative, but if you don't have a lot of it, you may quickly find yourself lost. The lab is working on this with efforts like a recent "Lab 101" course for early career employees. They take you through the funding landscape and the national priorities that drive the lab. Everyone at LLNL is busy, and hiring is slow. It's often hard to staff a new project if you get it funded, but the lab is working hard to change this, with more pipeline hires and fewer administrative hurdles to jump through.

Advice to Management

The "Lab 101" course should be mandatory material for new staff and postdocs. Hiring should be accelerated to staff new projects and to reduce the often slow spin-up time. New employees should be made aware of all the opportunities in front of them -- I think a lot of people come to LLNL and miss out.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Feb 10, 2015

It’s great to hear the perspective of someone who has worked here as a student, postdoc and staff researcher. Thank you for sharing. It’s also good to hear you’ve benefitted from the Lab 101 course ... More

2. Computer Scientist 3

Current Employee - Computer Scientist III in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist III in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Pros

Great place to learn and grow your skill sets. Excellent assistant to get higher degrees.

Cons

Management is still not very connected to their employees. Culture is pretty slow.

3. Staff Scientist

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

multidisciplinary research and development, training opportunities, national security mission

Cons

bureaucratic, leadership lacks long-term vision,

5. Research Scientist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work on any project. The diversity of work there. Interesting research. Lots of smart people.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy. Some red tape. Paperwork. Some underperformers.

6. Awesome place to do good, interesting work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Smart people, tough problems, and you can and are encouraged to work on the tough problems with smart people. Plus you get to actually pursue your own ideas. If you play it right, you can do research like being a professor, but without the teaching and administrative duties (though you will lack the unending cheap graduate student labor), but of course you need to find your own funding. Alternatively, you can do more directly programmatic work, and have constant steady work by trading away autonomy. You get the best of both worlds, AND can switch between the two! (Talk to your manager first though) PLUS you get 33% of the royalties from patents! Director BIll Goldstein is cool. He's a real scientist who keeps it real, and doesn't B.S. when it comes to admitting real problems.

Cons

Red tape -- but once you understand that the purpose of the red tape is not only to obey a plethora of federal laws, but also to increase the security (physical and information -- something lacking in many companies these days), then it's possible to accept it (or at least wade through it efficiently). Being tied to the fiscal year (Oct-Sep): money is saved up until the end of the fiscal year (in case Washington does something nuts like a shutdown), which means that you get underfunded, and at the end of the year suddenly a lot of money is up for grabs. Would be fine, but you not only have to spend it before the end of the year, but all items you purchase *MUST ARRIVE* before end of September. Makes buying big ticket items with long lead times hard, so spend big early! Benefits are seriously lacking. Cafeteria is terrible and overpriced. Gym is expensive and bare. But don't blame LLNL, blame Washington for under-investing in science.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage more small, high-risk projects, especially those with the potential for commercialization. LLNL wins with royalties (you do too!), companies win with new technologies, USA wins with competitiveness.

Technical excellence/programmatic immaturity

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Pros

LLNL offers the ability to work in many technologies, but not just working with those technologies: working at the forefront of scientific and technical knowledge.

Cons

It's kind of like a sandbox. The two separate organizations I was part of both were developing systems that no one else could build, but they didn't do that good a job outlining requirements. If you came straight from grad school, everything was peachy, but, coming from an outside engineering organization, I was a little taken aback by their unwillingness to talk resources and requirements — especially as that was the foundation for every well-executed engineering program I had ever been a part of. Having said that, it's a big organization, and in my five years I worked for only two small groups.

Advice to Management

Again, from my relatively limited exposure to the organization as a whole, I saw managers being selected in one of two ways: 1) Technical excellence. 2) Ability to schmooze. Although both those skills are important, they are not the primary skills required to manage a technical program well.

Great Experience

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Pros

Great experience and met many experts in field.

Cons

Finding housing was not easy when you are not from CA.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

Work/Life balance is great. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Large level of government bureaucracy. Given vacation levels don't bump until 10 years of service but do start higher it seems.

Advice to Management

Bump vacation at 5.

Awesome Place to Start or Have a Career

Current Employee - Student Intern in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Student Intern in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a awesome place to work, with lots and lots of cool toys. They have some of the best computing resources in the world. Definitely a great place to learn HPC.

Cons

It's quite a process to get hired. The background check can take a while. And it takes a while to get all the security stuff in your head.

Advice to Management

I mean, I think it's an awesome place to work. I'd say they are doing everything right. I'd ask them to clean up the training process, but hey, that's the government for you.

Great people and cool work

Current Employee - Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State of the art projects and research, great and smart people to work with, and a relaxed but productive atmosphere

Cons

Bureaucratic- some things take longer than they should such as ordering supplies or having parts machined, no cameras allowed on site

Advice to Management

You have smart employees. They can learn how to use supplies in the machine shop to speed up progress on their projects.

RSS Feed </> Embed