Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.8

Bill Goldstein

Pros
  • The Lab also encourages work/life balance far more than almost any other comparable job (in 28 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people working there - lots of higher degrees (masters & Ph (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Beware: you will drown in red tape which comes first over science (in 13 reviews)

• Slow to change because of older employee base but they are changing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great place to build a career

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I came hare first as a student, then I was a postdoc for a year, and I've been research staff at LLNL for 4 years now.

The thing I love most about working here is the people. I work with incredibly smart, motivated people on a daily basis, both in my field (computer science) and out (physicists, chemists, and other scientists). I get to work on some of the largest supercomputers in the world, and I get to have an impact on the design of parallel applications that run on thousands or millions of processors at once. There just aren't that many places you can do that, and there are fewer where the experts in the field are right around the corner.

The problems LLNL tackles are not only interesting, they're important to national security, which makes them more fulfilling in a lot of ways. Saving the world from asteroid attacks? People here are working on that. Exploring new states of matter and new ways to build predictive simulations for it? That too. Working in High Performance Computing will expose you to new fields and directions you just don't get out of a typical CS degree, and you'll gain valuable experience by working on projects like these. If you're not as interested in mission-driven science, LLNL supports lots of basic science research, too.

If you are planning to build a career here, you should know that LLNL is a great place for entrepreneurial scientists. If you are interested in building something, and if you have the drive and motivation to stick with it, you can come here, start your own project, and build a team to pursue your vision. As an example: many labs do not allow postdocs to apply for their own funding, but at LLNL it is encouraged. Postdocs can apply for internal Lab-Directed Research and Development funding (LDRD), and once you're staff, you can pursue a number of external competitive proposal calls from the DOE Office of Science. There are also opportunities to get long-term programmatic funding for your project, if it turns out to be successful.

Cons

It can be difficult to figure out exactly how the lab works. If you're the type of person who comes in, talks to people, and asks a lot of questions, you'll quickly learn by word of mouth. As far as documentation for new employees, or a road map for your career, well, the lab's not so good at that. It's up to you -- the lab rewards initiative, but if you don't have a lot of it, you may quickly find yourself lost. The lab is working on this with efforts like a recent "Lab 101" course for early career employees. They take you through the funding landscape and the national priorities that drive the lab.

Everyone at LLNL is busy, and hiring is slow. It's often hard to staff a new project if you get it funded, but the lab is working hard to change this, with more pipeline hires and fewer administrative hurdles to jump through.

The "Lab 101" course should be mandatory material for new staff and postdocs. Hiring should be accelerated to staff new projects and to reduce the often slow spin-up time. New employees should be made aware of all the opportunities in front of them -- I think a lot of people come to LLNL and miss out.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Feb 10, 2015

It’s great to hear the perspective of someone who has worked here as a student, postdoc and staff researcher. Thank you for sharing. It’s also good to hear you’ve benefitted from the Lab 101 course ... More

leading edge work plus bureaucracy

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

first-rate colleagues, exciting research in progress, excellent computer facilities, flexible hours, nearby housing is cheaper than most San Francisco Bay Area locations.

Cons

Heavy-handed unproductive "oversight" by the Department of Energy, lots of rules, generally unhelpful and unfriendly Bechtel-based upper management culture.

Try to be more open about what you're doing and why.

Terrific place to work!!

Former Intern - Engineering in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - Engineering in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

If you want to be a part of something bigger, doing something that has never been done to better the world, this is the place to work. And unlike somewhere in industry, everyone is so much more cooperative with each other. It's very inspiring.

Cons

May work for a long time and the project doesn't pan out...but that's research for you!

Very good overall experience

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Pros

Very high level of technical competence of all employees. Interesting projects

Cons

have to "sell" your ideas to government agencies

minimize beurocracy

A vibrant ecosystem of talented scientists and engineers working on multidisciplinary problems.

Current Employee - Physicist
    Current Employee - Physicist

Pros

The ability to work with a wide variety of people with varying skills.

Cons

A sometimes narrow and short-sighted focus on research directions that prohibits adequate investment for real impact.

Valuable Summer for Student Interns

Current Intern - Laser Science, Optics, and Targeting in Livermore, CA
    Current Intern - Laser Science, Optics, and Targeting in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Cutting Edge Research, Lots of Professional Enrichment Programs

Cons

Can be isolated, intimidating employees

Keep up the good work! Lab is run well

Great place to do research while maintaining life-work balance

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, great work-life balance, decent benefits. If you want to do the kind of research they do at NIF or need super-computer muscle then this is one of the best places to be at.

Cons

It is a national lab so there is a lot of friction and red tape. Tasks that would be easy elsewhere might require significant effort here.

I really enjoy working at Lawrence Livermore Laboratories; the work is exciting and rewarding - I look forward to solving the new challenges I am sure to be faced with everyday.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the great things about working here is getting to work on new science and technology. There is amazing diversity in the work that is conducted at the lab, which gives employees plenty of opportunity to try something or learn something new... All the while working with some of the smartest people you will ever meet. The atmosphere is more collaborative than competitive in most areas of the lab, which is essential to making some of the great things we do everyday possible. The culture at the lab is also very supportive of work life balance, which is important to myself and my family.

Cons

The lab has been around for a long time and there is a lot of tribal knowledge that can be hard to understand at first. We are also required to comply with many different mandates from many different organizations, which can fell like a lot of red tape at times (but a good understanding of the system and how it works can make this manageable).

Walk the floors (on a regular basis) and talk to the individuals working there (some managers do this better than others)... You will learn a lot about employees moral, you will begin to understand their concerns, their questions, and what motivates them.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Dec 3, 2014

Great summary of the pros and cons of working here. It’s fantastic to hear that you value the diversity of work here and our culture of supporting work-life balance. Thank you for sharing with ... More

Good job security job, interesting work, frustrating funding environment

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

LLNL has a lot of interesting and smart people working for it, and that makes for a fun and engaging environment. There's always another opportunity to go to a seminar about something you've never thought about before. The pay is also pretty good, and the benefits are great. Livermore the town is a lovely place, exactly what you would want from a wine country area.

Cons

It's a government lab, so there's a lot of red tape and oversight. Having the government provide the funding pipeline comes with lots of frustrations (being subject to the whims of Congress). And while there is money for great equipment, the buildings and facilities tend to be old and antiquated. The Lab doesn't strike me as agile, in a business sense.

Be attuned to the Lab's "image" problems, both inside and outside.

Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Intern - Computation in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - Computation in Livermore, CA

Pros

Work:
    Very interesting and meaningful work
    Mentors are very helpful, intelligent, and invested in you as an intern
    Relaxed dress code
    Your abilities are taken seriously - no "underemployment" feeling
    Great poster symposium

Area:
    Beautiful weather
    Within an hour of San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose
    Newly renovated downtown

Cons

Pay isn't that great compared to similar work - then again, it is government and not private industry
    No help with housing