Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

Bill Goldstein

Pros
  • The Lab also encourages work/life balance far more than almost any other comparable job (in 28 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people working there - lots of higher degrees (masters & Ph (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Beware: you will drown in red tape which comes first over science (in 13 reviews)

• Slow to change because of older employee base but they are changing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (more than 5 years)

Pros

Usually no reasonable limit to project funding. Store is very well stocked. Compensation and Time off comparable to industry.

Cons

Compensation and Time off comparable to industry.

I could do better on the outside

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked here for more than 20 years.
    The pay is just ok. I could get more on the outside.
    Benefits are ok but I actually have my benefits through my spouse now with an outside business because they are better.
    The main reason I stay is I'm close to my small children and I do have the flexibility to do things with them.
    I really like the people I work with but find management doesn't have a clue what they are doing and they treat employee's poor. You might be a great scientist but stink as a manager.
    The Matrix system is really nice and I've been given the opportunity to work all over the lab on different projects. If funding goes away you can usually find something within a month instead of being laid off.

Cons

During the UC days it was great. We knew pay was better on the outside but we had a company mentality and wanted to retire here. Now new people come in and then head off to Google or Yahoo for lots more money. Scientists don't make good mangers. In all my years I can think of only 2 or 3 people I felt were great managers and one got pushed out of management for not drinking the management Kool Aid.

Get rid of the PADS and listen to your worker bees.

A changing lab

Current Employee - Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

LLNL rewards people whose work aligns well with the laboratories programs, particularly if theyre successful in starting new programs

Cons

Science is no longer the prime motivation of the laboratory, and often the individuals best able to fund new programs are not the most competent

Provide an internal review system to ensure that quality proposals are being submitted to sponsors

There are no career opportunities here for computer software developers.

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

Lots of unique computer resources available. Livermore and the surrounding area is a nice place to live meaning minimal or no commute. The work here covers a wide range of topics so it is relatively easy to move between projects.

Cons

The working conditions are horrific. Buildings and offices are unmaintained and uninhabitable. If you are a software developer you will spend all of your time cleaning up ill conceived code written by PhD Physicists. Software professionals are not given control of the development of major codes. Hence, the opportunities for advancement or even for visibility of a computer software developer are extremely limited. For the past 5-10 years the Lab has been rudderless. There is no clearly articulated vision or direction. As a result the Lab has been on an accelerating downward trajectory. The layers of management and stifling bureaucracy make getting even the most mundane things done a major effort. I have personally needed to walk 1/2 mile to find a functioning color printer. The performance review process is more or a beauty pagent than a real performance review. There is little connection between one's ranking and ones productivity.

Value the people who are doing the real work here. It's high time that software and the professionals who develop it are valued, recognized, and given control of software development. The Lab's posters tout that the Lab promises "a first class work environment to our employees". In fact the work environment here is third world. The office conditions are shameful. How do you expect to attract or even keep talent when your employees are forced to work in buildings with completely non-functional facilities? The Lab desperately needs a vision and direction. I'm not talking about a cute slogan but a real vision for growth and how to achieve that growth. In particular how does the Lab become competitive in the real world. Our cost structure is so out of line with the real world that we can not compete. This fact has been recognized for some time but nothing is ever done to address it. Finally, the Lab is fundamentally broken. Lots of fundamentally broken organizations have turned themselves around but that requires recognition that things are broken and a will to fix it. Currently the Lab has neither. In fact the opaque, multi-layered management structure here has institutionalized everything that is broken.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good respectful working environment. Grea for R&D work. Perfect for engineers and scientists.

Cons

Somewhat inflexible sometimes: Too much red tape.

Seek and consider new ideas.

Had a good 13 years there as an admin. Not much growth opportunity in that area, though. Great if your a scientist.

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Retirement, work-life balance, paid vacation

Cons

Budget issues, lack of communication, some management

Engineer

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No stress work place, lots of intelligence people

Cons

if yuor not in the inner circle you're not going up, too many managers.

diversify.

Smart people, lots of bureaucracy and reluctance for new process

Former Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people, friendly environment, interesting projects

Cons

People are reluctant to learn new technologies. Lots of lifers with limited exposure to current trends and practices.

Listen to employees, realize that pedigree doesn't always trump innovation and outside experience

Good work-life balance with limited career advancement opportunities on the administrative side of the organization.

Pros

Decent salaries and benefits. Work can be exciting if you are a scientist.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. As a government contractor constrained by congressional budget.

Think outside the box more. Hold managers more accountable.

World-class research and development

Former Employee - Regulatory Compliance Analyst in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Regulatory Compliance Analyst in Livermore, CA

Pros

Opportunity to work with brilliant scientists and engineers

Cons

As a federal government contractor, there are many bureaucratic procedures

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Photos