Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.7

Bill Goldstein

Pros
  • The Lab also encourages work/life balance far more than almost any other comparable job (in 27 reviews)

• There are a lot of smart people working there - lots of higher degrees (masters & Ph (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a government facility, so you have to get used to the red tape (in 11 reviews)

• Slow to change because of older employee base but they are changing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Megacorp Policies with Government Regulations

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation, beautiful campus, interesting things to work on (outside of IT), good (low level) management

Cons

Terrible portable buildings for many workers, frustrating and enigmatic security policies, complicated political battles and territorial squabbles, nowhere to go professionally, tendency to offload employees to contractor positions, uncommunicative management, confused technical direction (in IT)

Great summer intern opportunity for lots of growth and learning.

Former Employee - Research Intern in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The location is amazing, pay is great, people are very friendly, amazing benefits.

Cons

Bureaucracy, which isn't much of an issue as an intern, but I'm told it gets worse the more you hit it. The secured campus makes it hard for any family to come visit your work.

Continue to provide the guidance to interns that you are!

Still a Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Business Specialist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Business Specialist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Science in the national interest, worklife balance, love my job!

Cons

Salary increases were a challenge because of federal government budget issues

Too much middle management and more need for SME's and individual contributors.

Best job I've had, by far, but still a couple things that frustrate me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Real purpose. The work we do here isn't to increase revenue by a penny or two. We are literally saving lives.
    2) Challenging. Because our work matters, this place only hires the best, and we all take our jobs very seriously. It's an honor to be among the best, and I regularly find my coworkers pushing me to grow and improve.
    3) Work-life balance. While there are times where I come in early or stay late to complete a project, I am never pressed to make that a practice. Soccer during lunch, great benefits. Massages when I get sore. Plenty of time off.

Cons

1) Bureaucratic. It seems to always take longer than expected to get things done. This is my biggest frustration.
    2) Old school mentality. I actually see this changing, so its much less of a con than when I came on board a few years ago. But resistance to change into a 21st century enterprise does still exist in some pockets.

Reward speed and initiative, and embrace change.

If you like boring nuclear or homeland defense, and want to stress out about accounting, work here...

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I came here, they appreciated free thinkers and you were encouraged to develop. Now that UC is no longer in charge, its run like a for profit business, but without the understanding of what a for profit business is about.

Cons

Some extremely arrogant and unqualified managers (because people interested in science are seldom interested in management, so the worst go into management...)

Hire managers from outside who have real world experience.

life as a contractor on site

Former Employee - NIF Radiological Technician in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - NIF Radiological Technician in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

get to work with cutting edge technologies, very intelligent people

Cons

too many PhDs without a business minded manager to prioritize and manage projects. Schedules are ever-changing taking away from personal life. No chance to move within the department assigned or the laboratory as a contractor.

Hire real business/project managers to aid in managing the wide array of projects and personalities involved. When everyone has top priority, no one does.

Not much interest in publishing

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in Livermore, CA

Pros

Salary/benefits, most people I interact with are friendly and very smart, they try and take care of you here, especially postdocs (socially, comments/concerns, etc), travel opportunities

Cons

The senior researchers I have been working with do not seem very interested in publishing great science. They are more interested in getting the next grant. I understand because the overhead is so high here, but eventually not doing the science will catch up to you.

Lower the overhead for basic science research (i.e. not classified work) it costs way too much to do science at this institute.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

May 7, 2014

We really appreciate this input. Publishing is critical to the Laboratory, and we do put a lot of effort into placing postdocs with mentors who support this. We encourage you to reach out to ... More

Great place to work with a lot of research and experiments

Former Employee - Sr. Electronics Tech in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Sr. Electronics Tech in Livermore, CA

Pros

The lab has its up and down but overall it is a very good place to work. Great benefits, good pay and job security. There are a lot of fascinating researches at the lab and funding is somewhat stable considering the economy. I am fortunate to have worked at the lab and learn as much as I did. You can move around from job to different job as well as between organization within the Lab. In summary the Lab is a great place to work and there are all kind of people from every part of the country.

Cons

Slow advancement but that is true for all government work. I find it difficult to keep my motivation as it has become more of a grind each day. My desire to learn each day and more development work has become limited and decided to leave. Still it has been a blast working at the lab.

The lab is heading in the right direction. A lot of good management at the top.

Lots of opportunity, great work life balance, amazing coworkers.

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as an intern during my summer breaks at LLNL and had a great time. There are TONS of opportunities for interns, and you can really learn an amazing amount just in one summer. The staff who take on interns for the summer are over all very supportive and friendly. I always felt like I could go to my adviser if I had any questions about my work.

Cons

As with most DOE/government funded institutions, funding is key. Stress level of the management is clear when times are tough, and it is a constant worry for the individuals who do not procure the funding. People tend to get shifted around often, especially in administration. Admins are the first to be let go and are often over worked with mandatory over time, but I do not know that it is any more frequent than outside companies. However, through all the shifting, LLNL is more likely to move you to a different department than to hire someone new since it's less time and money to train a new individual and to have their background cleared.

Be more clear with with all employees about job security.

Returned to LLNL after working outside government.

Current Employee - Computation in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Computation in Livermore, CA

Pros

Multiple programs allow specialist to move from one project to another without changing employer. Mission space of National Security is inspiring and relevant. Demographic of current employees means that new hires will have great opportunities to advance as the aging workforce retires.

Cons

Conservative corporate culture which is slow to change.

Increase training budget, provide early career employees leadership opportunities, encourage middle level mangers to change or move aside.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Photos