Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.6

Bill Goldstein

Pros
  • interesting colleagues, important work, good work life balance, great location in Northern California (in 16 reviews)

• get to work with cutting edge technologies, very intelligent people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes you have to deal with a whole lot of red tape and infrastructure (in 8 reviews)

• Slow to change because of older employee base but they are changing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally fair, highly dependent on your working group dynamic and their funding situation

Current Employee - Design Physicist  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Design Physicist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and generally supportive environment.
    Flexible schedules.

Cons

1.9% salary raise last year, and none so far this year. No bonuses unless you receive an award from your division, and you can estimate that to be $100-$300.
    Lots of red tape and politics.
    Too many meetings - it is hard to get work done.

Some managers are excellent, but there are just too many managers and that makes it harder to get anything approved. Please hire more young people instead and work on creating an effective mentoring program so that you retain them.

Great place to develop technical skills and build a network (due to its proximity to silicon valley).

Former Employee - Cyber Defender  in  Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Cyber Defender in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent mentoring program. I was put into a group with which I didn't have much experience, and my supervisors were incredibly helpful in training me in the technologies I needed in order to excel.

The compensation was really high, especially for an internship. Granted, Livermore is an expensive place to live, but I didn't have any trouble getting by during the summer.

The project I worked on had a real-world use, and I was able to make a real contribution during my time there.

They were very flexible with my schedule.

Cons

Working there as an intern, it was frustrating when the first 2 of the 12 weeks I was there were wasted waiting on getting access to start into my project. This is a necessity given their commitment to network security, but it still caused me to waste time.

I had hoped to roll my internship over into a full-time position. Though my supervisors were very supportive of me continuing, the government shutdown made their budgets uncertain. This isn't the lab's fault, but the nature of government funded labs means that politics can affect your employment.

Incompetent Management. Excellent work challenges.

Current Employee - Quality Manager  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Incredibly interesting unique challenging work

Cons

Management are narcissists and are inexperienced

Get experience and stop hiring incompetent narcissists

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

retired

Former Employee - Health & Safety Tech  in  Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Health & Safety Tech in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

used to be interesting & worthwhile

Cons

evolved into unwanted division of Federal Government. Never was a good place for a woman.

Mechanical Engineering needs to be more pro-woman

World-class researchers and institute, too much overhead and poor managers

Current Employee - Researcher  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Within 1 square mile are some of the world's best researchers in a variety of fields from nuclear weapons, to lasers, to biology, to energy security, and others. Everyone is easily accessible and willing to share insights. "Big science" projects are done here.

Cons

As one former director commented, LLNL has succumbed to a "culture of compliance", where managers are more worried about getting in trouble than the best work getting done. Most so-called managers have no idea how to manage, much less lead, and this should not be a surprise since management skills are often inversely proportional to scientific skills.

Identify actual managers, not scientists, to lead programs. Way too much of an old boys club (who you know/like seems to guide who becomes a manager, not who should actually be a manager).

A place ripe for change

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Livermore, CA

Pros

Employee see the value of changing the way we do business. Younger employee base insisting on change

Cons

Slow to change because of older employee base but they are changing

Continue with what Parney Albright started, don't go backward and think the "old" ways are good enough.

Management vs. Worker Bees

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Office rich work environment
    2. If you’re a physicist, this is one of the few places you might actually be able to get a job
    3. I did some of the best work in my career there.
    4. There town west of Livermore is very nice, although expensive
    5. The current director seems to be a reasonably decent person.

Cons

1. Definitely two classes of people there. Management and worker bees.
    2. Ethics is completely about protecting management at all costs.
    2.1. if you challenged the company on ethical grounds, you will be crushed.
    3. The core mission of the company is basically impossible
    4. If you are a christian republican, you will be very uncomfortable
    5. the work there is all about empire building and empire maintenance. It has very little to do with anything that makes logical sense.

None - they do not listen

Good people, poor culture and poor management

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Pros

Work can be cutting edge

overall friendly people

Cons

Extremely slow to get things done,unexpected delays, many unnecessary management layers, non active working culture, less diversified culture

The overall culture is not for young energetic people with great ideas who want to pursue cutting edge science and technology, not comparable to private companies and research universities. The culture is more for mid 40s to 50s people who want to raise family in a quiet neigborhood and enjoy a 9-5 job.

N/A

Changing times at the lab and national interests in science

Current Employee - Staff Scientist  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The ability to do "big" science and collaborate with high quality scientists

Cons

Stifling restrictions that have increased costs and crippled the lab's personnel from executing their job.

Figure it out. The lab's productivity and moral have been on a downward spiral. The attrition rate of high quality scientists is a clear signal that things need to be desperately change. Instead looking to Washington for answers, which will all know is pointless, find innovative solutions to cut cost and navigate DOE regulations to boost productivity.

Good people and an annoying bureaucracy

Current Employee - Lawrence Scholar  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Lawrence Scholar in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are great resources here, especially if you do computational work. The people are also very nice and helpful. One person told me that I must work in a magical dreamland when I mentioned how nice the people are.

Cons

The bureaucracy is very annoying. Lots of it's computerized, which makes things easier, but you need approval and to find the right magic words to get it for so many things. The DoE is also micromanaging lots of things, and congress passes new laws to "improve oversight and accountability" that make it very hard to get lots of things done.

More like advice to DoE/congress: The privatization was a horrible idea and your "improved oversight and accountability" usually just make it harder to get work done without improving anything.

Worked for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!