Lawrence Merchandising

Updated July 17, 2014
Updated July 17, 2014

2.7

Cindy Sattler

I have been with them for over 9 years.

Current Employee - Field Service Representative  in  Central City, FL
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Central City, FL

Pros

One of the best merchandising companies to work for. Very Fair and understanding. They have a reward
    program of your choice, after years of service.

Cons

A number of management changes over the years.

After 9 years, how about a raise!

Expect too much for too little.....too little training, too little time, and too little compensation.

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser

Pros

Flexibility of job and being able to schedule your own times to work...between 8 and 5, Monday through Friday.

Cons

Not enough training. It is kind of a sink or swim situation. You will not be trained on the Lawrence Computer System. You will not be trained on the store system you are merchandising, or the product you are merchandising. They kind of just through a whole bunch of paperwork at you to read, spend a couple of hours kind of training you, then expect you to get all your inventory counts done, put out new merchandise to plan-o-gram, track down store management and find everything on your own and do it in 1 hour in 45 minutes. Good luck.

Train your employees better. Spend at least three days with them at the store, working with them and showing them the ropes. Give your employees more time to do their job well. No body wants to do a job that they can't do well due to time constraints....it makes you feel like a failure.

Merchandiser

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Pros

Flexible schedule. Interesting work assignments. Some of the nicest people to work with.

Cons

High turn over of management. Low pay, no mileage or travel time. Poor training.
    High expectations for next to nothing in compensation. There is next to no training from a person that lived over 4 hours away. When she did come for my training, she spent most of the time speaking to the management of the store I merchandised in behind my back and then the rest of the time talking about her personal life. All of the managers were nice, but just bad business people.

Be more fair in pay. Invest more in local managers, so that your employees are better trained.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok for Merchandising

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

Pros

Felxible, good variety of work

Cons

Low Pay, no advancement opportunity

Heavy workload, bundled with poor compensation, makes for many unhappy employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

Pros

In my experience, most co-workers are friendly and willing to help one another out. Attempts are made at team building.

Cons

This company is very top heavy. Waiting period of one year for eligibility for 401K. Poor communication with-in and between departments. Minimal training. Many professional positions at HQ are hourly.

Treat your employees with respect.

Does not care about employees

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY

Pros

Able to make your own hours

Cons

Been at Lawrence Merchandising 12 years and no raises. They do not pay for mileage and their territory is 15 miles one way. Use to be a great company but now with new management they could care less about employees. Continually cutting hours.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser  in  Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Alexandria, LA

Pros

Great flexibility of schedule as long as you get the work done in time frame.

Cons

Sometimes not enough work in this area.

I don't have any advice for upper management.

LMS is one of the best companies in it's category.

Current Employee - Merchandiser/Service Representative
    Current Employee - Merchandiser/Service Representative

Pros

No uniform, business casual with option to buy business logo shirts. Flexible scheduling. I get regular weekly work, plus the occasional extra little jobs, a few monthly and quarterly projects. If they need me to go to an area outside my territory, they DO pay a bonus to cover mileage. They also pay for your time between stores. Best merchandising company I've ever worked for. I've been with them for about 7 years.

Cons

Comparable starting pay 7 years ago when I started, but they don't offer raises. No opportunity for advancement. No benefits. The only reason my rating is lower is because I haven't had a raise in 7 years, but the economy have steadily declined, but that's really the only con for me.

Offer your reps a raise.

Not Nearly As Good As It Sounds

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

Pros

Zero supervision. Extremely easy to get hired on. Paid via direct deposit. You get paid even if you arrive at the job and someone else (normally an employee at the retailer you are supposed to be merchandising) has already done the work.

Cons

EXTREMELY limited hours. "Up to 25 hours per week" actually means approximately one hour. I have NEVER had a week where I was able to work more than an hour. No reimbursement for mileage even though they may send you 30 miles from home. Considering that most jobs are only one hour, often you are spending $5-10 in gas just to make $10. Company appears to have extremely poor communication with the retailers we are supposed to be working for. I have arrived to multiple locations where the management had no idea who I was or what the company was about and the job I was there to do had already been done.

Communicate with the retailers you are supposed to be doing business with. Offer mileage compensation for employees that drive long distances to jobs. Offer more than an hour of work per week.

They expect you to drop everything for them, but never reward you and never give raises or bonuses.

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser

Pros

Freedom and flexibility to make your own hours. No one to directly report to each day in an office setting. You work on your time frame.

Cons

No raises, unfair reviews, they make you travel long distances and don't reimburse for gas and mileage. You are expected to go on every call assigned to you, even if it is not near you. You are expected to take a monetary loss to service some stores within your area.

Treat your employees with respect and take care of them. If you do, you will have a lot less turnover and a happier pool of people.

Worked for Lawrence Merchandising? Contribute to the Community!