Lawson Products Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
53 reviews filtered by

Focus on the field people

Current Employee - DSM
    Current Employee - DSM

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management recognizes that everyone in the company depends on the success of the sales reps in the field. Quality products, excellent service and fill rates. New system gives reps ability to set prices locally to ensure they are competitive.

Cons

One separate department is used to source all special orders instead of staff who are familiar with particular product categories or vendors.

Growing Company that is a great place to work

I have been working at Lawson Products

Pros

Over the last few years the Company has made numerous investments that have led to improved financial performance and made the Company a better place to work. The Company is dedicated to growing and educating its sales force, as well as investing in the career paths of office employees. The overall work environment continues to become a more collaborative, team oriented approach.

Cons

There are still some aspects of job that could be more efficient, however, the Company is focused on continuous improvement of all job functions and operations.

Getting it right!

I have been working at Lawson Products

Pros

Many changes that had to be made to bring the company to the world class levels it can be. We are makign progress each dayt and most of the transistions are behind us. We are now growing our team, our sales, and building career paths for many new hires. It is an excitiing place to work

Cons

Still rebuilding from the many positive changes that have happened.

Continue to invest in the sales team - many new hires in the last 3 years have to become industry experts, as we lost a lot of knowledge in the past few years. You have it going - stay committed

The Company has turned around and they are in growth mode. The transition with SAP was difficult but

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time

Pros

The company is growing which leads to future opportunities at many levels. If a sales rep stays with the structure of demonstrating products on every call they can earn commissions much higher than normal. You can place bins and cabinets at no charge which helps customers and the sales force. Organizing a shop and labeling everything makes it easy for repeat business.

Cons

The outside sales position is hard work, but for those willing to stay with it, they will earn a great income. Its easy to be become an order taker but if you do, your income will suffer

increase product education

Great things on the horizon

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lawson puts you in a position to REALLY earn a good living. It's not just pie in the sky. There are reps at Lawson that make a very good living. I was one of them.

Cons

They have gone through a lot of computer updates in the past few years and that has hurt a lot of the more seasoned reps. Change can be tough and the change that Lawson went through was very tough. The company has refocused its efforts to support the sales force and provide a great experience for its customers.

Keep focused on how to help the reps make money. The reps at Lawson drive the business. If they are happy, they will keep the customer happy. Happy customers spend more.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lawson has made many changes is the past 5 years, all changes have been needed and improved the company.
    Lawson is growing and adding many new sales reps and growing its market share. Its a great place to grow your carrier.

Cons

Cant really say anything negative about the company.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lawson has the systems in place to succeed right away in this industry. I have been in sales with Lawson for 10 years and I love getting up every day and working for this company. Lawson has some of the best products in the industry, and customers appreciate that! They also provide you with the right amount of training and support behind the scenes to make the job easier every day.

Cons

The organization is getting better at consistently communicating with the sales force. The more that the corporate employees interact with the sales people and understand how the sales force works, the better this company will be in the long run.

9. Lucrative and productive until the company lawsuit affected industry perception

Former Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Lawson Products full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No micromanagement; Independence (set your own work schedule, appointments and work flow). I've won many awards and the company is great about acknowledging your hard work. You can work from a residential office but this requires discipline in order to meet/exceed your quotas. Consumer perception of company is well recognized in the industry. Quality product lines. I was proud to represent this company amongst competition.

Cons

Despite hiarchey of managment, competition between agent and district mgr is condoned since they have their own personal book of business and territory overlaps. High priced product line makes it difficult to secure bid awards. Company's indeciveness and financial upheavals impacted a loss of tenured, valuable agents up to corporate heads and CEO. Realignment of regional mgrs and district managers caused a mass exodus as the company attempted to downsize their salesforce after the $35 million lawsuit. Inquire about their turnover now. Based on repetitive current job openings, they still have issues with retention..at least in this area.

Formerly a great company to work for until company MO changed. Very disheartening to see valued, tenured volume producers leave. Take stock in your most valuable asset-your Lawson employees (the review ratings could be bolstered)

10. Good place to get a solid work experience!

I worked at Lawson Products full-time

Pros

Went thru an SAP implementation

Cons

Growth opportunity was not available.

11. Company is turning the corner. It's growing and the future looks bright.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great, fun hardworking people. Hardworking and fun. Leadership is taking positive actions to better the business and build for the future. Solid reputation in the marketplace. Sales are up. 401(k) is great.

Cons

Pace can be fast and priorities many. A few people (not the executives) still reluctant to changing with the times.

Keep the positive momentum going.