Layne Christensen Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
David A.B. Brown

1. My opinion doesn't matter. If you want a great job you have to work...

Current Employee - Helper
    Current Employee - Helper

I have been working at Layne Christensen

Pros

Excellent pay Decent Benefits Lots of overtime

Cons

You will travel a lot (girlfriends and wives not recommended) You will work hard (not really a con in my book)

Advice to Management

Ensure that all operations managers have the confidence of their field workers and all fellow employees. Don't let one man drag down an entire region and then demote them to drag down one shop... find someone who can do the job. Ensure that employees are getting their reviews and raises.

2. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Manager in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Layne Christensen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the company's community feeling, its caring supervisors, and the great advancement opportunities afforded by the organization. Great place to work overall!

Cons

Smaller company so very different from major companies in town. Lots of top level management change. Due to smaller size, resources are oftentimes limited.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee development and safety. Provide regular feedback so employees know where they should focus improvement. Very appreciative of corporate communications and regular town hall meetings with CEO.

3. Payroll Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Layne Christensen full-time

Pros

Culture is trending up and is filling with people who respect others. For the most part the environment is friendly and devoid of mean spirited persons

Cons

Improvements could be made with respect to inter-departmental communication. The atmosphere is demotivating and not inspirational

Advice to Management

I can't say the the mentality of management is such that it encourages employees to do better. Rather it seems to be oppressive and encourages the opposite

5. operator

Former Employee - Operator in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Operator in Redlands, CA

I worked at Layne Christensen

Pros

sales and supervisors knew what was happening in the field to help us in the field and thats where it stopped

Cons

office management had no clue how to handle any field problems

Advice to Management

listen to the field employees they are the ones keeping the company in businesses

6. Layne

I have been working at Layne Christensen

Pros

There are still a few good people left even after years of red ink, years of incompetent management, years of no leadership and no plausible turnaround plan

Cons

I agree with the post that these types of forums draw the extremes. It's impossible in the case of Layne to exaggerate. - Majority of the company's businesses aren't profitable, never have been and never will be profitable Sell them or shut them down. - Executive management is still the incompetent Kansas City crowd that managed the company into the position it is in today. - Company culture is ethically challenged. As others have noted, there appears to be extensive fraud and yet there has been no concerted effort to identify it and correct it. How can a Division President that hired an ex-Division President as a consultant at the same time he was setting up a company to compete with Layne keep his job? Flagrant conflict of interest. Where is the board of directors? Class action lawsuit seems appropriate. - Layne paid millions to relocate and almost everyone who moved with the company to the Woodlands left as soon as they reached their 1 year commitment. What does that tell you?Several who didn't leave have been let go. The Board needs to be held responsible for this. - New CEO is a consolation prize. Rumor is that no one else would take the job. He's surrounded himself with a couple of executive mangers from KC that managed the company into its current hopeless situation - There are huge control deficiencies at Layne. There's no effective internal audit function so this isn't going to change anytime soon. - No raises, no bonuses, no recognition and no appreciation for the work the competent employees do. That's the work environment.

Advice to Management

Layne should not exist. Break this company into pieces and sell them. There's no plausible plan to return this company to profitability.

7. Worked at the company many years through many changes.

I worked at Layne Christensen

Pros

The field level employees are highly dedicated. The lower and mid level operations management is focused on being succesful, supporting the people that get the work done.

Cons

Senior management has transformed the company where it is being led by the finance and accounting departments. The biggest failures the company has had have resulted in changes due to finance department convenience that is forced on operations.

Advice to Management

Figure out who grows the beans, and who counts the beans. Which one is more important and focus on their needs not the background noise from the other.

A Future Case Study

I have been working at Layne Christensen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked with Layne nearly 10 years and witnessed a lot of the change that has put Layne in its current position. I wanted to leave many years prior but the field-level employees are some of the best I have ever been around. Everyone is extremely friendly and everyone has this understanding that we're all on a sinking ship but the sense of loyalty is still ever present. Not wanting to let down people I consider friends is the only reason I show up everyday. Some of the inept operations and middle managers have left for greener pastures. Though it's put a strain on the current employees, it's better that they're gone.

Cons

Where to begin... -For far too long operations managers and division presidents were allowed to run rampant and make decisions that were quite frankly short-sighted, idiotic, and down right unethical. I'm not convinced that some people don't belong in jail. Corporate-level management either knew this 100% or were too self-absorbed to notice. When a high-level, corporate manager tells you that a former employee is starting his own, competing business, but that that same employee is going to stay on in a consultant's role to guide business decisions, then something is wrong. -The accounting department is way out of touch with the business model. If Layne were a factory pumping out widgets and digits, then our accountants would be good. But Layne's business is unique and no two projects are remotely similar. So trying to fit a round peg in a square hole has been the accountants' approach. Though field-level operators have complained for years that our accounting is doing more harm than good, we are usually told we should just trust their judgment and not complain. Everyone at Layne would love to only pick negotiated contracts with established fees, but a lot of our business model has us competing for hard-bid contracts. The accountants don't understand that business model and continue to believe another spreadsheet is the solution. Though we heard numerous complaints about the competitive bid market, no one ever offered alternative approaches. - A completely out-of-touch leadership. The old CEO wanted everyone to know he went to Harvard, but his attitude toward employees was certainly the reason Ivies get that pretentious reputation. He came by the office I worked in once. Never introduced himself or made any personal approaches. Had a 20 minute meeting and back on a plane. Sadly the new CEO hasn't done any better. He seems uninterested in the employees and quite frankly not suited for the position. -You're just a number at Layne. No one above my immediate supervisor knows my name nor cares to learn it. I have worked long days and nights the entire time I've been at Layne and never have received so much as a thank you, let a lone a bonus or real recognition. I have been on projects that have actually made a profit (a rarity) and not a single person noticed. No one from middle management up really cares about employees. - There has been a lot of turnaround in the last 5 years and zero attempt to replace or maintain. I would wager the percentage of employees has fallen relatively with the stock price.

Advice to Management

Management is going to have to realize that to get out of the current disaster some investments are going to have to be made. Investments on people, equipment, processes, etc..... The CEO had best start making some personal outreaches as well. The ivory tower is not the best place to run a business and if he doesn't care, why should we? Also, the ones that are left; the ones that have shown commitment; those people need raises and bonuses and genuine support for their efforts. I honestly believe if Layne loses as many people in the next year as it has in the past, then go ahead and file for Chapter 11.

This company aspires to be Radio Shack

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Layne Christensen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many given all the cuts and reductions that keep coming our way

Cons

About 3 years ago their was an announcement that the company was moving from Mission Woods to Houston with the promise that this was positioning the company for a move to the big time with lots of opportunities in a huge market and our new energy services group would lead the way. We arrived in Houston broke with no money to spend on the big plan which was the reason for the move. I've worked in 3 groups while I've been with the company and have watched things deteriorate especially fast in the last 5 years. Sell this, sell that. No money to fix our equipment then we stack it. I'm told the money we raised was mostly lost in poor contracts and now us guys in the field have been told to tighten the belt more. The new talent we hired to to help has all bailed out. Noone knows what will happen next.

Advice to Management

We have to do something new. We can't keep going the way we are.

10. Transitions can be painful

I have been working at Layne Christensen

Pros

Actively seeking solutions to business issues

Cons

Every company has cons - even Layne.

The company isn't doing so well.

I have been working at Layne Christensen

Pros

My job allows a great deal of freedom for me to do what I feel needs to be done. I am very fortunate in that respect; most people don't have that.

Cons

I have counted four lay-offs within the last three years. I expect to lose my job any day, and it's been like that for years. In the division where I work, there is definitely an "inner circle" and the rest of the unwashed masses. Don't expect to be treated according to the quality of your work. Don't expect to be treated with compassion, or even understanding, if you have a crisis. There is no room for advancement because so many people have been laid off already with the expectation that their positions will be deleted. The upper management gives lip service to improving the technical knowledge/skills of the staff, but it's just lip service.

Advice to Management

When it comes to figuring out why a system doesn't work, don't ignore the comments and observations of the people who do the manual work. They have no preconceived ideas of what they are supposed to see, and they are perfectly willing to paint a picture for you if you just give them a chance.

RSS Feed </> Embed