Layne Christensen

Be The First To
Add Photos

Layne Christensen President & CEO Rene J. Robichaud

Rene J. Robichaud

Could be a great place to work

Finance (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsSupport from the CEO and CFO for change and improvement are evident. CEO is very friendly and cares about the staff.

ConsMany hours of work are needed to make changes and process improvements a reality. System is currently ineffective and there are too many manual processes in place. This is not a place to work if you are expecting a 40 hour per week schedule, but it is improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support process improvements and staff accordingly where needed.

Pepsi is not the beverage of choice

Main Office Emplyee (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsLack of formal policy. Aspire to be a favorite and earn well, especially if you're young and your direct report is older. Senior executives play favorites, be a favorite and have a promising future. The KC Railroaders soft drink queens have favorites, play that hand and all is well.

ConsZero recognition, salary or bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong time part owner, interim CEO should see the writing on the wall. Pepsi influenced the wrong exits, should have been the soft drink that was railroaded, not the capo italiano. Certainly you are wise enough to see the need to bring him back at the top.

Corporate Greed at it's worst and yet finest.

Anonymous (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsFor the pros I am supposed to consider time-off policies, well that was reduced and a voluntary furlough was announced. I am supposed to consider company values, well one of my former coworkers was terminated on their birthday and severance packages are given according to favortism. I am supposed to consider promotions, well when we are having bonuses reduced and short term incentives being withheld but yet the HR Department does not abide by their own rules and standards. How am I supposed to post something positive about promotions, when this is corporate greed at it's worst and yet finest.

ConsThe challenges of working here is that if you are not from Kansas City, you are not treated favorably. If you are from Kansas City and know how to play the game of corporate politics, you will be promoted even if you are not qualified even if you are in your early twenties and will receive unannounced bonuses. The compensation is below industry standard, the only personal growth is that you will learn is that you can be a really good actor in order to keep your job. Formal policies and procedures are not followed and favoritism is at play at this company but the newly hired upper level management from KC knows the loop holes and knows how to avoid the law but I would not be surprised if a class action lawsuit for wrongful terminations and other legalities arises in the next couple of months.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the interim CEO is to interview every person in upper level management that is surrounding your office and on both floors and consider if they really are qualified for their position. Then clean house, Layne will benefit tremendously from a thorough reduction of the people that were recently hired withing the past 1.5 years that have driven this company into the ground and off the tracks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a cluster

Project Manager (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsYou don't have to worry about being fired.. I've seen people that work for this company not perform or show up to work and not even a word is said. There are people who do care and work long hours however, they are so fed up with the current affairs that their slowly but surely leaving or wanting to leave.

ConsWhere do I start? Wage freezes, hiring freezes, no bonus structure for the people who actually do the work. Very long work hours with no gratitude (50+ hours per week easily). Stay here for more than a year and you are just another picture frame on the wall. No upward mobility, I have been here for 10 years and have only seen one person promoted within (I guess promotions only apply to the corporate office). Insurance is costly. Picture a publicly traded company trying to make money (in the construction industry / down economy) on hard bid work while trying to appease shareholders. The results from this bright idea have shown in the current stock price. I'm sure at one time this was a great company but at the current time it is not. Lack of organization is a big problem. There’s always a new initiative coming out which looks good on paper but never seems to get implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to defrag. Open up lines of communication and talk to the people that make this company money. Understand that money cant and will not be made until you figure out that spending 80% of your day signing forms, reading useless emails and running virus scans doesn't pay the bills. In other words, stop stomping ants while the elephants are charging. Also realize that hard bid work with a a hefty overhead structure attached keeps you from getting work. This only works with negotiated work and economic upswings (when the cheap contractors, or privately held contractors, have their plate full and there's only one or two bidders to bid against). It's time to think outside the box. If you don't.. you will lose a lot of good people.

Fluff - 12 years for this?

ProsIt's a great place for a manager. High salary...little effort. Overworked and under appreciated staff covering for people making 2 and 3 times their own salary.

ConsOne Layne initiative only covers corporate office. Regional offices do not receive the same benefits; wage freeze for several years now except for the "special" employees. Each year they take more benefits away. Bonuses are now only for the higher levels while the rest of us are trying to figure out what just hit us.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow much longer to you think people will support you if it's not reciprocated?

This is not what I signed up for. I was lied to in theinterview process.

Finance (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsCEO is very nice and comes by to check on you and concerned that some of us work very long hours. Has a great attitude with the Cultures and Values the new CEO has put into place but very difficult to live by them due to arduous work environment in some departments.

ConsUnderstaffed, no work life balance, cheap budgets, no incentive compensation, no gratitude or appreciation for long hours and hard work. No team efforts. No knowledge transfer. Lots of manual processes even though working toward "automation." Old school vs. New school thought process. Many excel files. No mentoring or strong leadership. Lack of organization from the top down. Lack of respect for staff in certain departments. Overall not a great or good work enviornment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to interview staff at Director and listen to the issues and problems as we are doing the day to day work and what would facilitate a better process. New leadership in place seems decent; however mixed with old school leadership who doesn't like change and very manual processes makes it difficult for change to happen in some departments. It's going to take many more changes and improvements over next 3 to 5 years to make things happen for the greater good of the company but most importantly if you don't improve work life balance for some of the departments that work much overtime, seven days a week, like 15 hour days almost year round ..you will lose staff. However, old school management, needs to upgrade and your way is not always the correct way. Some make simple work very difficult. Needs much process improvement and not get hung up on naming conventions, locations, and formats of files. Need to implement CHANGE and Forward Thinking.

I feel welcomed by the employees and excited for my future.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLayne Christensen has a fantastic training program for new comers and spends a lot of time and effort preparing them for the market. Although I am new to the industry and company, I feel as though they have my back.

ConsThere are quite a few people in management and sometimes getting a task done can be very tricky due to the number of financial and safety hoops that must be jumped through.

At Layne they had costly processes. This offered great opportunities for impactful improvements.

Accounting Manager (Former Employee) Mission Woods, KS

Prossome of the people there were great to work with

Consold building & lack of amenities/perks

10 yr employee...Company doesn't care about its employees..POOR place to work...

Laborer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood place to waste your life

Cons#1 Work hard for years and break your back for a company that doesn't give a hoot about its employees. #2 no one has a clue about being on the same page on work ethics to get a job done. #3 management treats you like dirt. #4 Company tries to screw you anyway they can

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse, stand by your workers and do your job.

Not the best place to work

Field Service Technician (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNice People. Steady work while it lasts.

ConsThey don't tell the truth all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

Worked for Layne Christensen? Contribute to the Community!