Lazard

Lazard Chairman and CEO Kenneth M. Jacobs

Kenneth M. Jacobs

I left prior to 2006 but these comments are still relevant

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe amount of responsibility that can be delegated to employees low down on the overall professional hierarchy is impressive and can be a tremendous learning environment for rapid maturity for these younger employees. As one of the few investment banking firms left, and with its tremendous history, you can get some very interesting assignments delegated to smart, but 'green' (new) employees. .

ConsIt's hard work if business is busy. Don't plan on seeing your significant others much if you are working late night after night and weekends. However, that runs with the cycles. I suspect that with the economic slowdown the quality of life is much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with Felix. His name is not in the running for the Obama administration so perhaps he can come back to Lazard one more time?

Good place to work at

Investment Banking Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLazard has a great reputation and is generally a good place to work. The place has some very talented and reputed senior level bankers. Deal quality and flow is generally good and since it is not a bulge-bracket, you avoid some of the non-sensical pitching you see at the larger banks.

ConsThe company is light on admin and you often have to get a whole lot of work admin done yourself. The offices are dated and in need of new furniture. Primary focus is US and UK, France in Europe. Insignificant in Asia.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more communication between regions and offices. I feel each office and country is run like a separate bank. There is less sharing of information or data or ideas than one sees in more global banks

Waste of time

Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood learning experience (BUT you 90% of everything you need to learn in 6 months and then start repeating yourself)

Some of the old bankers are incredible and the last remnants of when IBD attracted some of the most interesting (and dare I say cleverest) people in the world - very unlikely if you join now you'll have any interaction with them

ConsHuge nepotism - "what school did you go to haw haw"

Layers of mediocre senior and mid-management

Huge amounts of unnecessary work

London in perpetual decline - bailed out by NYC and Paris again and again - not good for morale

The CEO / partner level employees in London generally have as much charisma as a damp rag.

Super firings every few months - not good for morale

Losing deals in the UK again and again

Absolutely no respect for work life balance. Genuinely do not care about you or your life.

Poor comp vs peers at BB

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to retain people stop killing them for no reason

Bring leadership, backbone and charisma to the senior levels.

Stop being so political

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learn & Endure - M&A at Lazard

M&A Analyst (Former Employee) Paris (France)

Pros- High technical learning curve (valuation methods, M&A process steps, market knowledege, excel/ppt)
    - Great atmosphere among interns

Cons- Highly repetitive (same models and processes over & over again)
    - Lack of creativity & initative (go by the book or die)
    - Inhuman work hours (average of 9:30PM-2AM during week days and work during most of week-ends)
    - 80% of no-brainer tasks (administration, data crunching)

Advice to Senior Management- Create a structured graduate program for your interns and future bankers instead of just using them as meat
    - Develop training for interns, alumni meetings, tutoring by more senior bankers etc. Due to the inefficiency rate in daily work, I don't believe that time is the lacking factor

Good franchise

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsProfessional colleagues, global network reach and cooperation between global offices. Good support for industry expertise and local knowledge from local teams.

ConsNot as well-recognized in Asia as in Europe and US. Terrible hours. Lower pay than bulge brackets. Not top deal flow. In Asia limited quality senior guidance for junior staff.

Refreshing

ProsGreat culture and people to work with.

ConsIn the face of unpredictability never a dull moment.

controleur de gestion

Controleur De Gestion (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsGood location in Paris.
    French atmosphere in the office.
    offices of 3-4-5 people.

ConsNot very well paid, in spate of the fame!

Advice to Senior ManagementShort period, so not a lot of interaction!

Intense experience

Investment Banking Associate (Current Employee) Buenos Aires (Argentina)

ProsExposure to clients

Long hours
    Growth Opportunities from Director position onwards
    Salaries
    Short vacations

Advice to Senior ManagementEnhance communication between juniors and senior management

Work hard, no play

ProsSometimes interesting work, decent pay

ConsLong hours, bad senior leadership within office

Run away.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsShop still has semi prestigious panache.
    Some smart, capable people.
    Gaining market share
    Less red tape than a bulge bracket

ConsTerrible culture, misleading management, unhappy employees
    Compensation lags peers; at least from what I saw....
    Terrible IT system... seriously stuck in 1995

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent management. Seriously, communicate to employees and get away from a culture of fear to one of achievement. Improve compensation.

Worked for Lazard? Contribute to the Community!