Le Château Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
2.8

Le Château Vice Chairman and CEO Jane Silverstone Segal
Jane Silverstone Segal

Pros
  • We do receive a great discount (although in order to afford the clothes we need it) (in 8 reviews)

• 50% discount on fashion for work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • coaching methods, customer service standards are quite ridiculous, un-ethical (in 3 reviews)

• low pay, no chance of raise (as i was told - due to the current economy) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Working here has been great because you (and your spouse) can receive up to 50% off merchandise, some items like handbags or party dresses are only 35%-40% off due to the fact that they are not technically worn for work. But jewellery and most footwear count too which is great because of the variety every season.
    -No problems getting time off if booked enough in advance.
    -Great work-life balance (at least at my store). Training was great for me but I know it can vary depending on who is available to train new employees.

Cons

--There is a commission perk BUT it is hard (almost impossible unless you're full-time sales) to achieve the goal to make 1% commission.
    -The company wants to promote from within, which is great. Although it has seemed to slow down the hiring process a lot for finding new management/key-holders/etc. The store has been short-staffed since I was hired.
    -A lot of the training is "learn as you go", it would be beneficial to all store employees if each new hire was fully trained before being tossed into things before they even know what they're doing/policies/procedures, etc.

-Ask opinions of all employees, not just key-holders.
    -Take notice of hard working employees and offer raises, they deserve it.

Competitive Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kingston, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I worked at Le Château part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount, friendly customers, can make lots off of comission

Cons

Expect you to work many hours, high demand placed on sales, have you keep you wardrobes up to date which can become expensive

Don't put such a high premium on the competitive nature, it can cause problems between the staff.

You'll fall out of love quickly

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee discount.. that's probably the best thing about this job other than that..
    somewhat flexible schedule, different every day, monthly prizes,

Cons

I loved my job at first but favoritism is VERY real in this company. A lot of the employees and even the managers go to the back and are on their phone.. sometimes even on the sales floor ! It is very competitive but also unfair. If you are not one of the favorites be ready to have sales taken from you by people who have been there longer. Some managers have the WORST attitude which makes your shift unbearable. Also, you cannot leave until the whole store is clean and perfect even of that's at midnight.

Treat all employees fairly. Ensure that your managers are truly right to lead because you cant have the blind leading the blind.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's an ok place to start your first job!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château full-time for less than a year

Pros

50% discount
    Good benefits

Cons

No raise, they expect amazing things from you!

Management

I have been working at Le Château

Pros

You learn a lot in terms of different responsibilities, different selling techniques, learn trends and financial reports
    Good commission structure

Cons

They expect the world from
    Little hours for staff
    No raises
    A lot unrealistic goals

Don't settle be upfront with your expectation

Low pay, often impossible goals, snobby staff and out of date fashion.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Le Château part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a discount on clothing, I think it was %50 if my memory serves right.

Cons

You have to up sell everything by bringing the customer things they didn't even ask for, it makes you look very cheap.
    The fashion often is often outdated.
    The staff was snobby.
    The "commission" is sad.
    They expect the sales to increase every week as though we have control over how many people come into the store.

Either drop the commission and pay people more or start making more fashionable clothes. Offer free clothing as a plus as opposed to money pressures, it's more achievable. Stop up selling and making terrible goals.

Horrible, STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Le Château full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are this company's saving grace - and NOT the senior management. Nice office location. When management likes you, they provide lots of opportunities for you, until you are no longer of use to them.

Cons

The management. Jane Segal is running the company into the ground. She yells at people for no reason, creating a horrible work environment that trickles down from the rest of the management team. They are incapable of managing inventory and have unattainable plans for Head Office and store employees. Everyone points the finger and places blame on others. The discount is horrible (35%, most retailers offer at least 50%). I give them less than 5 years before they are filing for bankruptcy.

Take the blame for things you mess up. Listen to what employees say! When a red flag is raised, give the employee the courtesy to at least listen. Give your employees reviews (and don't just ask them questions!). If somehow a member of the board reads this, the future of your company depends on ousting Jane Segal. You will go the way of Jacob very soon.

Great until it's not

I worked at Le Château full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, Great policies, Fair wages

Cons

From my personal experience, policies were not enforced equally, favoritism was present. ie. 3 employees standing around, the new person gets written up while the others 2 are unscathed. Also, because they like to think of themselves as a luxury brand, attitudes can be sometimes snotty

When corrective action is required, due diligence in investigating as well as uniformity in the enforcement of policies should be taken. That is the law.

Disappointment and Frustration

Former Employee - Window Display Stylist
    Former Employee - Window Display Stylist

I worked at Le Château full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work was never boring. I also enjoyed the fact that I circulated around the city, so I never worked in one store for more than 4 days.

Cons

Very limited development and advancement opportunities. Sometimes employees are told to do things that are unrelated to their job description.

Company in transition...

Former Employee - Key Holder  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Le Château full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount is great (50%) if you like the clothes at this retailer. They also put a large importance on culture and empowerment and have daily meetings and monthly prizes for top sellers.

Cons

When I left, the company was going through an identity crisis. They did not know who their customer was, which was affecting various aspects of the job including dress policy and compensation.

Roll with the punches, continue to empower your employees and you will find your way.

Worked for Le Château? Contribute to the Community!