Le Château Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
2.9

Le Château Vice Chairman and CEO Jane Silverstone Segal
Jane Silverstone Segal

Pros
  • We do receive a great discount (although in order to afford the clothes we need it) (in 8 reviews)

• 50% discount on fashion for work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, no chance of raise (as i was told - due to the current economy) (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of hours sometimes but as expected for a part-time retail position (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Footwear Specialist

Former Employee - Footwear Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Footwear Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Le Château part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-50% off Discount
    -Good hours
    -Work-life balance
    -Good support from management
    -Great training

Cons

-No room for growth
    -Low pay
    -Schedule was unstable and random
    -A lot of employee gossip

Realize that employees are people too and not just selling machines.

Okay.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Le Château

Pros

The discount is good, nice clothes, good human resources team,

Cons

Not much help from supervisor, toooooo much work to get done with barely any hours, the staff gets way overworked for low pay. When traffic is slow, your supervisor is calling you and they think that we're not doing customer service even though we are, I worked at an outlet.. And they still carry items from 2006-2007-2008 omg! And the price on most of them are still expensive, OH AND there is no proper training and when it comes to something you don't know they will say "omg you don't know how to do that" and think your dumb

Treat staff good, they are the ones that are going to help you the most!

This is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Working here has been great because you (and your spouse) can receive up to 50% off merchandise, some items like handbags or party dresses are only 35%-40% off due to the fact that they are not technically worn for work. But jewellery and most footwear count too which is great because of the variety every season.
    -No problems getting time off if booked enough in advance.
    -Great work-life balance (at least at my store). Training was great for me but I know it can vary depending on who is available to train new employees.

Cons

--There is a commission perk BUT it is hard (almost impossible unless you're full-time sales) to achieve the goal to make 1% commission.
    -The company wants to promote from within, which is great. Although it has seemed to slow down the hiring process a lot for finding new management/key-holders/etc. The store has been short-staffed since I was hired.
    -A lot of the training is "learn as you go", it would be beneficial to all store employees if each new hire was fully trained before being tossed into things before they even know what they're doing/policies/procedures, etc.

-Ask opinions of all employees, not just key-holders.
    -Take notice of hard working employees and offer raises, they deserve it.

Sell, Sell, Sell.

I worked at Le Château (less than an year)

Pros

The clothing discount is amazing, I loved that you could start receiving discount right away almost. Working and selling Canadian clothing is something to be proud of.

Cons

It's very sales driven, it set people against other people "stealing sales" "I started them first" it ruins relationships quickly, and although the targets aren't terribly hard to achieve, it's a lot of work for a little amount of money. No team effort, and very little communication.

Worry less about if people are meeting there sales targets and quotas, and more about how they are doing as a person. People want to feel like they are part of a team and appreciated, not just a number.

Competitive Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kingston, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I worked at Le Château part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, friendly customers, can make lots off of comission

Cons

Expect you to work many hours, high demand placed on sales, have you keep you wardrobes up to date which can become expensive

Don't put such a high premium on the competitive nature, it can cause problems between the staff.

You'll fall out of love quickly

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount.. that's probably the best thing about this job other than that..
    somewhat flexible schedule, different every day, monthly prizes,

Cons

I loved my job at first but favoritism is VERY real in this company. A lot of the employees and even the managers go to the back and are on their phone.. sometimes even on the sales floor ! It is very competitive but also unfair. If you are not one of the favorites be ready to have sales taken from you by people who have been there longer. Some managers have the WORST attitude which makes your shift unbearable. Also, you cannot leave until the whole store is clean and perfect even of that's at midnight.

Treat all employees fairly. Ensure that your managers are truly right to lead because you cant have the blind leading the blind.

It's an ok place to start your first job!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château full-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% discount
    Good benefits

Cons

No raise, they expect amazing things from you!

Low pay, often impossible goals, snobby staff and out of date fashion.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Le Château part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a discount on clothing, I think it was %50 if my memory serves right.

Cons

You have to up sell everything by bringing the customer things they didn't even ask for, it makes you look very cheap.
    The fashion often is often outdated.
    The staff was snobby.
    The "commission" is sad.
    They expect the sales to increase every week as though we have control over how many people come into the store.

Either drop the commission and pay people more or start making more fashionable clothes. Offer free clothing as a plus as opposed to money pressures, it's more achievable. Stop up selling and making terrible goals.

Management

I have been working at Le Château

Pros

You learn a lot in terms of different responsibilities, different selling techniques, learn trends and financial reports
    Good commission structure

Cons

They expect the world from
    Little hours for staff
    No raises
    A lot unrealistic goals

Don't settle be upfront with your expectation

Horrible, STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Le Château full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are this company's saving grace - and NOT the senior management. Nice office location. When management likes you, they provide lots of opportunities for you, until you are no longer of use to them.

Cons

The management. Jane Segal is running the company into the ground. She yells at people for no reason, creating a horrible work environment that trickles down from the rest of the management team. They are incapable of managing inventory and have unattainable plans for Head Office and store employees. Everyone points the finger and places blame on others. The discount is horrible (35%, most retailers offer at least 50%). I give them less than 5 years before they are filing for bankruptcy.

Take the blame for things you mess up. Listen to what employees say! When a red flag is raised, give the employee the courtesy to at least listen. Give your employees reviews (and don't just ask them questions!). If somehow a member of the board reads this, the future of your company depends on ousting Jane Segal. You will go the way of Jacob very soon.