Le Château Reviews

Reset
2.8
Le Château Vice Chairman and CEO Jane Silverstone Segal
Jane Silverstone Segal

Pros
  • We do receive a great discount (although in order to afford the clothes we need it) (in 9 reviews)

• Amazing work-life balance as a merchandiser - can almost always book off an extra day (without pay) for a weekend trip (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much help from supervisor, toooooo much work to get done with barely any hours, the staff gets way overworked for low pay (in 5 reviews)

• When traffic is slow, your supervisor is calling you and they think that we're not doing customer service even though we are, I worked at an outlet (in 4 reviews)

1. Not a competitive wage, work vs. compensation not equal

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager

I have been working at Le Château full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount. Should you have a great staff, there can be a great vibe. If you have a good district manager/manager.... It can be fun. Too bad I've come across this once in 5 years at 3 different locations.

Cons

They give you the lowest wage possible. If you're management you have to rely on the store meeting completely unattainable goals to make a livable wage. Staffing cuts but also increase in workload has made it near impossible to keep higher ups happy. Heaven forbid head office visits. They are completely out of touch with the reality at the bottom. Had only positive semi annual reviews but never saw a raise. Was constantly told "the company is not doing raises this year". Yeah right.

Advice to Management

Your staff are the reason you still get paid. They are who make you money. Treat them well and recognize their hard work. Happy workers are productive workers.

2. didnt enjoy working for them

Pros

Great discounts. Benefits. A chance to grow with the company.

Cons

Low wage, poor upper management (Dm) , unorganized. Poor quality in products. Same designs over and over again. Almost impossible to reach a bonus.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers. They deal with customers on a daily basis and are I. The from lines . Take recommendations seriously and compensate the hard working individuals with a fair wage.

3. Good environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I worked at Le Château full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good environment. It has changed a lot over the years. Used to be more stressful and competitive. But more recently it is fine. I felt appreciated and respected and was allowed to be myself and express that through what I wore.

Cons

I'm sure it very much depends on what location you're working for but I really had no complaints other than being on your feet all day and having to wear "dress shoes".

5. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Quebec in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Quebec in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Le Château full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with various department in multi-tasking

Cons

My downsize is for managing no listening to employees input in better managing the company's store.

Advice to Management

Take employee advice or inputs better managing the company

6. Be ready to work for Min Wage

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

50% off clothes, 1 hour break (unpaid)

Cons

Management was always watching and giving instructions on how to perform the job, and if you did it your way they would over manage the problem making unnecessary suggestions making you feel like a bum (child) off the street with no education , lunch was unpaid, management was always late for their shift, low pay for all the work you perform

Advice to Management

Don't belittle your employees

7. Good company

Pros

Learn a lot about retail Learn a lot about how to give Amazing customer service

Cons

No growth All politics Favoritism Pay is dependent on what they feel like giving you Bonuses are hard to achieve

Advice to Management

Learn as much as you can because they do teach you everything you need to succeed, just can't move up in that company so take what you learn and use it elsewhere

8. Great Discount, Not so great company

Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Le Château full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount at lechateau is great, it really makes a difference with purchases

Cons

The do not value their employee,s do not expect to earn raises from this company.. they're super cheap, expect so much from you as an employee but give back so little .

Advice to Management

So more appreciation of the hard work employee do for the company

9. Better companies to work for

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

decent pay to compensate for

Cons

everything else, low hours, out of touch head office

10. Disorganized company that does not encourage employee loyalty

Former Employee - Style Specialist in Ilderton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Style Specialist in Ilderton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Le Château part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good store manager tried to be understanding and make things work as best as possible but it just wasn't realistic given the company atmosphere. -Discount on clothing

Cons

-Took away commission or made it impossible to attain -Never enough employees for the work load -Personal feeling clearly got in the way of making appropriate hiring/promotion choices -Products are getting worse (style and quality) making them more difficult to sell -Upper management was unapproachable and didn't seem to understand the business at store level

Advice to Management

-Pay attention to your employees, they have good ideas and actually interact with the customers on a daily basis. It would be very useful to pay attention to what your customer actually wants.

11. Life at Le Chateau

Former Employee - Store Manager in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Le Château full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you love fashion and being on trend Le Chateau certainly caters to that with elegance and classy looks transformed from the runway to everyday wear. What I really love about this company is that it is CANADIAN!!! Le Chateau manufactures a high percentage of their clothing right here in Canada at their Head Office in Montreal.

Cons

I think things may have changed quite a bit since I was there, but as a manager for 6 years with the company at various locations I had to work long hours in every role without much in return. Managers are salaried but if I worked overtime I had to fight to get make sure I got paid.

RSS Feed </> Embed