Le Cordon Bleu Cooking School

Le Cordon Bleu Cooking School Vice President & Master Chef Edward G. Leonard

Edward G. Leonard

Le Cordon Bleu offers a solid foundational culinary education

Professor (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe opportunity to teach students the arts and sciences of food and beverage is fulfilling...

ConsCompensation and constant micromanaging from administrators in the school is quite frankly... annoying!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your faculty lead...

Shaky

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsCurriculum is sound, as are dedicated instructors and well equipped professional kitchens and classrooms.

ConsCorporate structure in flux, business model in question. Competition shutting down because of mismanagement.

Lots of work, no incentive, up and down rollercoaster of stress

Admissions Recruiter (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsIt's a job for anyone in admissions recruiting field

ConsNo incentive, ridiculous expectations of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some sort of incentive other than keeping your job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work to help students realize their potential!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsOne of the most positive experiences that I had at Le Cordon Bleu was the SLT, they were supportive. There have been changes in the management team since I left, so I am not sure if that great support system is still in place.
    The Chefs are truly passionate about what they do!! Excellent Chef instructors!!

ConsI feel that the biggest downside to working for Le Cordon Bleu was the compensation. I know that education does not usually pay well, but I believe we could have been compensated better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways remember to be an advocate for your employees and your students!

Good place to start sales career, don't expect longevity.

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, free food.

ConsHigh turnover, ever changing strategies, unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a more tangible way of rewarding top performers.

People were great to work with but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tucker, GA

ProsThe other employees were great
    Helping students was good
    facility was good

ConsCorporate couldn't make up its mind. Always changing the courses taught.
    Management played favorites.
    Corporate HR is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing things every year.

Fell in love with Teaching!

Culinary Instructor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHands on work environment, Decent facilities, loved teaching about what I love. 4 weeks vacation each year. Location near Brown line was great.

ConsLacking support from management with "problem students" - At times felt like babysitter rather than Instructor. Vacation set by school calendar- no flexibility for days off. When time off was needed due to illness, difficulty to get a substitute. No time during work day for a break/ lunch. No parking provided for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are other ways to communicate than email- especially as an instructor, I was not in front of a computer all day. I felt I spent way too much time looking through emails that had nothing to do with me or my job. Presence of management in the classrooms would be helpful. Also, understanding that just because I wasn't on campus grading papers- doesn't mean that I didn't spend my whole Saturday at home working. This was a demanding job- the focus on education was sometimes lost.

Great schedule, mediocre pay, lousy leadership

Chef Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsGetting 2 weeks off at Christmas (plus a week each in spring and summer) is unheard of in the culinary industry, as are weekends off and the opportunity to work the day shift about half the time.

Teaching also gives chefs and opportunity to refine basic skills as you make the same item over and over again every day. Teaching different classes each 6-week term keeps things from getting too repetitive.

ConsThe corporation cares more about retention and money than actually producing good chefs. The application process is lax and they make it almost impossible to fail a student, even if that student makes no effort whatsoever.

The people managing the school are not chefs and do not understand what it takes in the culinary industry. They seem more concerned with inconsequential administrative details than big picture issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefusing to weed out unsatisfactory students will ultimately damage the school's reputation, because our graduates will not survive in the restaurant world.

Good food, decent pay, no opportunities

Student Finance Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe environment is good overall. There is always good food and free food from the students.

ConsThere is little room to move up unless you live in Chicago and like any customer service position has very difficult moments.

Glad I left this place

Admissions Advisor B (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMeeting with students. Coworkers are okay since they are in this mess with you.

ConsCompany that owns Le Cordon Bleu is Career Education Corporation. They are the worst! It's no wonder why they are in financial trouble. Very controlling and unorganized. Unfortunately the students and staff suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't continue your old way and hire or retain some of progressive thinkers.

Worked for Le Cordon Bleu Cooking School? Contribute to the Community!