Le Parker Meridien Hotel Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Steven Pipes

1. Not just a job- a place to grow and have a career.

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Le Parker Meridien Hotel

Pros

This a company where there really is room to grow, both in your own department and by transferring to another. People move from Front Office to Sales, from F&B to Catering, and everywhere in between. If you work hard you will be recognized and given the opportunity. Certain departments, like Sales, have the best training plans- it's very structured and you're taken through the process step by step. Since LPM is part of Starwood we get the Star Hot discount at properties world wide... it's great! Definitely something to take advantage of when traveling or to share with family/friends. Hospitality is such a unique industry so it's nice to work with people that are truly passionate about what they do. It's a group of people that work really hard to complete the job and please our guests.

Cons

No vacation for the first year (though you do get sick time and a birthday personal day). There is a 401K but no matching. Also, a renovation is in order to keep up with industry trends and consumer demands... hopefully soon!

Advice to Management

Listen to employee suggestions and keep an open mind. Sometimes they have great ideas that may take time/effort to implement but would boost morale & sense of community.

2. The staff STAYS... and that's the truest indicator of quality employement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Le Parker Meridien Hotel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The hotel promotes frequently from within. If you have the desire to grow within the company, they will help you do it. The majority of the staff has worked here for 15+ years... many over 30 years! People would not stay if there wasn't something great holding us here.

Cons

The hotel operates with a different structure than most businesses. Some people find this difficult. For me it removes the arbitrary "red tape" that slows down the actual work we are trying to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your staff's needs. Additional hotel wide team building would be great. A renovation is in order. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

3. Great place to learn the hustle and bustle, but not for a lifelong investment

Former Employee - Front Desk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in New York, NY

I worked at Le Parker Meridien Hotel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay Good insurance Always busy so you'll learn alot

Cons

Don't want to keep up with the competitors products. Have to spend money to make money.

Advice to Management

See above

5. Head of Pool

I worked at Le Parker Meridien Hotel

Pros

somewhat flexible schedules however everyone works weekends

Cons

they fired the entire team comprised of individuals who had been loyal well received members of the staff with no notice to ring in a cheaper alternative

6. An okay workplace

I worked at Le Parker Meridien Hotel

Pros

Great location, well known brand, so working here kind of work okay for my resume.

Cons

Most of the high rank executives have worked here for over 10+ years, everyone has some kind of relationship with everyone.. that said it creates a "bias" work environment.

Advice to Management

None. Nothing will change here.

7. No management!! Business has steadily dropped in the years that I have been there and management does nothing about it.

Current Employee - Slave in Ronkonkoma, NY
    Current Employee - Slave in Ronkonkoma, NY

I have been working at Le Parker Meridien Hotel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free meals. Good health benefits. No room for promotions or personal growth. All they do is cut, cut, cut.

Cons

Management does nothing! They aren't around most of the time except to eat lunch. They delegate all responsiblilities to hourly employees and they don't give raises!

Advice to Management

Retire and go away! Be useless somewhere else!

A great place to work, Full of hard working union employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Le Parker Meridien Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, great management that really wants you to succeed. Doesn't seem to fire quickly you really have to screw up big.

Cons

The union is very strong. Everytime you need something done it is an arguement, and although you have stewards and housekeeping staff making insane amounts of money they will tell you they are underpaid

Advice to Management

Work hard and it will be noticed

9. micromanaged from the top down

I worked at Le Parker Meridien Hotel full-time

Pros

great building, very pretty, awesome location

Cons

vp, and management have their hands in everything

Excellent pay

Current Employee - Housekeeping in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in New York, NY

I have been working at Le Parker Meridien Hotel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The working staff " the lower class as management would say in their meetings" They try hard to keep this hotel running, The union is stronger then ever, don't have them start to flex. I don't think you will like all these hotel employees unhappy. Think about that That best thing that happened in the last year that the security dept went union, hats off to them . Welcome to the family, we are really strong now and that's a pro.

Cons

The cons it's time for fresh management young vibrant faces and ideas. You have people in management taking up someone eles's dream job. After 15-25 years it's time to move on, retire travel the world and walk your dog. Don't tell lies and try to manipulate people, we are to smart for that. Staff members getting suspended for rushing v.i.p rooms, and not being provided the proper equipment to do it right. Have a staff meeting and ask their input on things, their needs to do their job correctly. The employees have good ideas that can do great wonders for the hotel. Just because a person doesn't have a college degree or doesn't have that corporate look doesn't mean they don't have great ideas or a understanding of what should be done right. Please we need a staff meeting, just listen some times.

Advice to Management

Dont play around with the union there, please play nice. Start repecting the employees you have working there, there are the ones that keep the guess coming back. Not the Nickle and diming you do, or the fact the h.r person hold stock in the restaurant.

11. A job with good pay that's all.

Current Employee - Bell Stand in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bell Stand in New York, NY

I have been working at Le Parker Meridien Hotel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The union staff, which will become stronger real soon. Once this one hurdle is jumped we are on to a gold

Cons

Management and Human resources Time for fresh eyes and new ideas, out with the old and in with the new. The time is now to get it done.

Advice to Management

Don't play games with the staff, understand most of them are union employees. These games can cause a revolt, and management can't handle that. As management you know there is a cause and effect for everthing. As for the issues you are having now ask each other why. Who, and why then blame the director of that department who put it out there, not the staff. Blaming the staff or prolonging the process is only going to make the situation very uncomfortable for everyone, really everyone involved.

RSS Feed </> Embed