LeTourneau Technologies

Updated Jan 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan C Eckermann

My time at Letourneau was great.I would like to go back to work there again.They had a big layoff.

Welding (Current Employee)
    Longview, TX

ProsThe insurance plans is great.

ConsWhen the layoffs started! The layoff came so fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you guys tell someone something do it.I was told that I would be hired back but not so do what u say u gone do.

The expectations have been rewarding but more advancement needs to in place for advancement.

Longview, TX

ProsSupervisor's for the most part are fair and they take exception for employees needs.
    With the new PTO this will help with sick time, jury, and longer vacations.
    Letourneau has improved with the overall appearance as a whole.
    HR is on top of every employees complaint's and needs.
    Safety has improved and the workplace has become very efficient for the safety of every employee.

ConsThe pay could be a couple of dollars or more an hour.
    More heating could be provided down in the steel mill during the winter months. Employees are missing to many days due to being sick.
    Not enough incentives such as receiving awards, or cash, and gift cards for safety, not missing work, and ideas how to improve the workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer employees the chance to send them to school for further education in their craft, don;t wait on the employee to make the move.
    Have company picnics, awards, and dinners to make each employee feel wanted.
    Run background checks every year to further rid out felons and trouble-makers.

It is a good place to work

Longview, TX

ProsWe have a good benefit package. I love the new PTO system and the wages aren't bad. Most of supervision are good people and work well with the employees. Insurance is pretty good and 401K is good. Overall LTI is a good place to work even though we are going through some extreme changes, but seems going in the right direction.

ConsWe have a mangement team that is new, and most do not understand what it takes to be the world leader we are. They have never worked in this environment. They have put some supervisors inplace that don't have a clue. Unfortnuately it makes for some rough changes, these leaders have no clue and what to do. but we will keep trucking along.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know you are trying to do good and we actually support your endeaver but I have a question:( I have no experience in running an accounting department, I know nothing about HR.) Would you put me as a manager over them? I hope you would not, I would be lost and out of my league. So why would you put a non-trained or non-qualified manager over a department, that constantly puts employees in postions that they themselves are not trauned or qualified to do. Wht do you let them bring in a young TempHand with no electrical experience and try to have him do Journeyman work and alreadt has had to ARC flash incidents. Next time he could get killed. You gave us a LIABILITY, when you should have given us an ASSET.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started great; ended in misery.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsOpportunity to learn; good money if you work in field. Good lower management and engineers.

ConsTerribly incompetent upper management; below average pay; horrible supply chain; incompetent administration...

Advice to Senior Managementresign and get a job at Burger King.

money over people

Journeyman Machinist (Current Employee)
    Longview, TX

ProsMany of our coworkers are great guys to work with on the shop floor. Some cutting edge new machines are good experience. Still quite a few original Ole timer machinists left with a wealth of knowledge to share with those actually willing to listen.

Consmanagement puts money over the value of their employees. Have seen more political moving working here for 6 years than watergate. Personal dislikes cause high unresolved tensions among management and behind the back dealings. Company spent good money to get top line machines only to cheap out on good tooling and software to actually use, instead they always go the cheapest route and will hold the employee responsible if their "rigging" doesnt work. some parts should be high precision but Letourneau main machine shop is a large un airconditioned barn with temps in summer in the 100s, with 2 10 minute breaks in a 10 hour day it gets hot

Advice to Senior Managementdrop the political moves and the higher holier than thou thinking and actually listen to the employees who will give you the actual un supervisor view of the way the company is running below the radar because quite frankly its in need of an overhaul

Politics can't drive success.

Electrical Technician (Former Employee)
    Longview, TX

ProsAt LeTourneau Technologies, there are great opportunities to work with people in a wide variety of areas if you want to. My coworkers were, for the most part, nice people who were relatively knowledgeable in the areas that you'd expect. Most people whom I encountered were very willing and ready to show you how to do something that you wanted to learn or see, and were also very willing and able to share their knowledge and experience with you so that you could better do your job (and pass that knowledge off to your customers). Overall, the people (non-management) were great.

ConsThe upper level management and decision makers at LeTourneau Technologies (and their parent company, Rowan Companies) are driven by politics and personal agenda (and sometimes vendetta) more than business sense or interpersonal considerations. Grudges within the upper level management and between employees and upper level management often caused roadblocks that impeded the progress of important projects. It seemed to me that management did not respect the talent and skills of their employees, resulting in a high turnover rate and overall an inexperienced workforce. This, in turn, led to quality control issues that impacted the company's performance, reputation, and of course also their customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and their talent. Without them, you'd be deep(er) in the hole.

The truth about LeTourneau Technologies

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Longview, TX

Pros1. Ability to balance work life and family life.
    2. The product line, world's largest front end loaders and off-shore drilling equipment, is interesting to work on.
    3. The employees are good people.
    4. Growth of the company is encouraging.
    5. Company is located in a great area.

Cons1. Pay / benefits
    2. Lack of leadership / vision by senior management.
    3. Working conditions / state of facility.
    4. Product improvement is not encouraged.
    5. Employees are viewed as a number, not an asset.
    6. Lack of a true program to develop prototype products.

Advice to Senior Management1. Invest in your employees (better benefits, perks, bonuses, training, tools, facilities, etc).
    2. Create a plan in which your vision is to be completed, execute that plan, and ensure EVERYONE in the company is following the plan.
    3. Realize when a plan/project/concept is not working, be willing to change the direction.
    4. Share information better.
    5. Develop a employee development program that gives employees the ability to advance in the company. This includes both hourly and salaried employees.

Beware

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsNone the ethical culture of the management staff is very unprofessional.

ConsManagement does not communicate effectively

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn management and leadership skills

Worked for LeTourneau Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LeTourneau Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LeTourneau Technologies CEO Dan C Eckermann. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by LeTourneau Technologies employees.