LeTourneau University Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014

3.5

CEO

This was an enjoyable, satisfying job.

Former Employee - Supplemental Instructor  in  Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Supplemental Instructor in Longview, TX

I worked at LeTourneau University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is awesome; you are surrounded by Christian students who genuinely want to learn and understand as much as they can. Faculty and staff treat students like adults, and expect them to behave like adults. Since the job is on-campus, this was a perfect job for me, a full-time student with no car.

Cons

This is a part-time student job; the pay isn't spectacular. All things considered, I can't complain.

Occasionally there were issues with classrooms being locked or in use by another group. Better communication with campus security about unlocking classrooms and with other student groups about classroom scheduling would be appreciated.

A great place to work where you will become a part of a family.

Former Employee - Telecounselor  in  Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Telecounselor in Longview, TX

I worked at LeTourneau University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone that you work with is friendly. They care about you and you will grow to become friends with almost everyone you work with. This all culminates

Cons

I didn't interact with anyone beyond my immediate superior. Sometimes you will be challenged balancing your academic work and your professional work, but it is worth it.

Honestly, I don't have any complaints.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Longview, TX

I have been working at LeTourneau University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are fantastic and very easy to work with. Solid foundation in Christian values helps build trust and camaraderie. For a small university, they do an awesome job of staying on top of current trends in academia and the needs of industry.

Cons

Schedule demands during the academic year can be pretty rigorous.
    Administrative workload can be overwhelming at times, but that's typical of any university.

Keep up the good works!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Longview, TX

I have been working at LeTourneau University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are fantastic and very easy to work with. Solid foundation in Christian values helps build trust and camaraderie..

Cons

Schedule demands during the academic year can be pretty rigorous.

Keep up the good works!

Hard work with little recognition.

I have been working at LeTourneau University full-time

Pros

Tuition waver is a positive point. The student body are mostly great kids. The buildings are newer, but have many facility issues and not enough people to do repairs it seems.

Cons

Low pay and lack of leadership is a big problem. Executive level employees distance themselves from the everyday workers and tend to put themselves on a higher plane. Student workers do most work due to the lack of facility employees. This needs to change. As a parent , I would not want a student doing any repairs in my childs dorm room.

Hire more people and get rid of some of the dead wood that are over paid and do nothing.

Great people, good work environment

Former Employee - Network Engineer  in  Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Longview, TX

I worked at LeTourneau University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good community to work in with great people. Fairly low stress and lots of freedom to pursue areas of interest. Vision for University is well communicated, and morale kept high.

Cons

Mediocre pay. Not many chances for advancement.

Upper management do not know their employees.

I worked at LeTourneau University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free tuition. A chance to impact young peoples lives.

Cons

Leadership sucks. Dale Lundford is given 3 months off to pray. Really!
    The staff at LETU work very hard for low pay while the upper management. HR and above pay themselves very well.Christian lifestyle is very lacking at this school where students should see a good example.

Recognize the staff and not always the faculty. This is a place where everyone should be equal under God.Cut your pay and balance your budgets.

A Stepping Stone To Anywhere Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

I have been working at LeTourneau University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are two and they are actually big ones. In fact, they are big enough to keep some folks here for a decade, myself included. One is the free education afforded to you and family members. The other is that, in general, this is a 40 hour workweek kind of place. If family time is important to you, LETU is a reasonable place to be. They do very much value and respect family.

Cons

If you are looking for career advancement, this is not the place. Where you are is where you will be a year from now, 10 years from now. The only thing that seemingly changes is that the leadership are really good at adding more and more responsibility on you until you reach a point where you either leave or simply choose to exist, never really giving more than the bare minimum.

Mediocrity is the sad result of a drastic lack of employee opportunity here. Staff pay is exceedingly low, even for this geographic area. Thanks to inflation, I make less today than I did 10 years ago when I started here. The few cost of living adjustments I've received in 10 years have not kept up with inflation. Morale among staff is typically pretty low. There is no reward for hard work. I've even heard it said by one executive leader here that "We have to be careful not to openly compliment people because we don't want to inadvertently praise some that don't deserve it."

Faculty are worshipped as Gods and staff are treated as peasant serfs, though that may be a criticism of higher ed in general, but it's very true here. There is a strong good-ol-boy club here and if you happen to have been born with one too many X chromosomes, you will not likely find much respect.

If you like smallish town living, then Longview is a reasonably good place to live. It is big enough to have a mall and a selection of restaurants without any notion of real rush hour traffic. If you are used to a thriving metropolis though, Longview is hardly going to satisfy. It's also the third most violent city in the state of Texas (per capita.)

LeTourneau University is in desperate need of a major, strategic human resources management overhaul including: 360 degree staff evaluations, surveys of workplace satisfaction, consideration of employee morale in decision-making, opportunities for salary advancement, acknowledgment programs for good work, etc. LeTourneau has incredible students and our degree programs are respected and excellent. It's a shame that so much human resources capital is squandered because of a lack of value placed in that area.

Help Desk Technician

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at LeTourneau University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very relaxed workplace. Great co-workers

Cons

Very low pay. Slow to make technical upgrades.

Don't work here

Former Employee - Student Worker  in  Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Longview, TX

I worked at LeTourneau University part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to grade papers and help the professor with other tasks. Tutoring other student is also pretty fun.

Cons

The pay is lousy and it takes up more time than its worth. The experience gained from this job is non existent.

Worked for LeTourneau University? Contribute to the Community!