Leap Wireless

Leap Wireless Reviews

Updated Dec 10, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Leap Wireless President, CEO, Interim CFO, and Director; President, CEO, and Interim CFO, Cricket Communications Doug Hutcheson

Doug Hutcheson

Great place great people to work with

San Diego, CA

I worked at Leap Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGot to work with some of the best teams.

Conslong hours and lots of work after hours

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

AT&T look very carefully at who you retain

I worked at Leap Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCan't really think of any at this time. A few years ago this was a good company, now it is a sinking ship.

ConsMoral is horrible, people are overworked doing projects that don't matter at this point, most managers and above are fall-ins, they became manager or director or even VP because the manager quit and they fell into it, most of these people have no management training or ability. Upper management remaining are the ones that drove off 20% of the customer base over the last year or so by ignoring the core business and had a big part in all the bad decisions that got the company sold.
I could go on but really, if you have read all the recent reviews and still want to work ay Leap, you either deserve it or you just like a miserable work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis advice is to AT&T. Leap failed, and failed badly at every turn. Do you want that incompetence to remain? I can not think of a single manager or above worth retaining who is still there. Anyone good has left already for greener pastures. Put in your own managers and executives and take over, you only need the lower level staff to run the company, and they will thank you for it.
Plenty of ex Leap people out there, contact a few and get their opinions on what employees will be an asset and what ones a liability, if you intend to keep any at all.

Do not work here!

Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Leap Wireless part-time for less than a year

ProsFree phone, buttons and a discount.

ConsEmployees and management allow sexist behavior and degrading each other to meet their goals is normal here. Not a safe working environment. Your security is compromised and covered up by the company. No true leadership or advancement. Commission sucks. English speaking not wanted here. Very racist.

Advice to Senior ManagementControl your management by training them and their staff with some ethics and how to morally respect others.
Stop using punishment as a means to push your employees for success. One example are the Sunday mandatory meetings for not hitting your goals.
you want better sales it takes accountability from the top to fix first, per individual. Don't punish the whole team!

Good company going under

Cell Tech III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Leap Wireless full-time for more than a year

ProsPay-only good because I had 26,000 in OT...
Freedom-management doesn't care anymore so field staff has all the freedom they need.

ConsLayoffs, layoffs, layoffs

Ericsson, the evil empire.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire Doug, fire Ericsson, forget about LTE and put the money back into the network so 3G works better. Make one site in each market LTE so you can say you have it and make your 3G rock so what customers we have left will want to stay.
There is no need trying LTE when half your network is outdated equipment.

Not the "Best Place to Work"

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
North Charleston, SC

I worked at Leap Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor sales reps the hourly pay was good and bonus compensation was alright if they just left it alone and didn't change it every 3 months. Great health benefits and school compensation.

ConsStarting out with Cricket you will be lucky to get adequate training of your job. Maybe one day of training over a computer then you are thrown out to the wolves. Most stores are short on staff so new employees will be left alone to figure things out on their own, unless you have a good manager. The new system is always down from few hours to days at a time. With that you will miss out on a sale which is what your bonus is based on. Of course, the managers/higher ups still get their good bonus. Being a sales rep that wanted to learn every position I was taken advantage of. I was constantly doing my managers job so he could do his personal business on the clock but not get in trouble bc his job was getting done. You are never recognized for a job well done even if you go above and beyond the call of duty for your customer. “Never leave a customer behind” is what we lived by but we always would leave a customer behind. Trying to be an advocate for your customer just gets you in trouble. There is no chance for growth with this company unless you brown nose your way up but most of the time you will have to relocate. Store hours are changing all the time so if you are a single parent this would not be the place to go. I could go on and on but I will stop.

Don't get me wrong with all this written but I LOVED my job at one point!

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the Sales Reps bc they are the "face" of Cricket. They are the first contact of all future customers and exsisting customers. Maybe make a new action plan for all RSM or DD to spotlight a rep once a month and I don't mean by issuing a STAR award. Remember we are Cricket!

Past decisions finally caught up with Leap/Cricket...

Director (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Leap Wireless

ProsThe company tended to pay above-market average salaries and provided good benefits which led to a better than average overall compensation package.

ConsThe organization's leadership appeared to struggle with formulating and executing on a consistent and relevant strategic direction in an always highly competitive environment. A consistent series of short-term decisions made and strung together over a long period of time, coupled with several missed opportunities in the marketplace, appears to have finally caught up to the organization in a measurable and impacting manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the layer of upper-level management that was loaded onto the organization over the past two to three years in an attempt to "throw bodies at the problem". For those remaining, ensure they can "ride the bus" for the duration.

Glad to be gone

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Leap Wireless

ProsWork life balance was excellent as well as vacation time. Benefits were acceptable if a little pricey. They give you free uniforms(occasionally).

ConsThis section is much easier. The company is badly mismanaged. The CEO often is unaware of the staggering problems that face the front lines. The computer systems were constantly crashing. We had episodes of system outages as long as 3 days. That meant we couldn't even look up an account balance let alone activate one. Senior management would yell at associates for not selling a phone with a hand written receipt and a promise that it would activate at some later point! The CEO was also unaware of the inventory problems facing front line employees such as new handsets launching with big promos and enough stock for the first few hours. The promo would run for weeks and stock wouldn't be replenish for weeks. Mid level executive management didn't know the reality of the reputation of their brands. They were shocked to find that Cricket's network was considered inferior to those of their bigger competitors and even more surprised to find out that Cricket was considered a ghetto phone for customer's that couldn't get a contract phone. These people were in charge of making strategic decisions for the company!

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to the highest bidder and drop the hubris that has cost several lucrative deals. You've abused the shareholders patience long enough. You need to stop eroding shareholder value and get the most you can from a sales, because you're not competent to save this sinking ship.

Upper management needs to be managed

I worked at Leap Wireless

ProsThe company treats it's employees well on a personal level.
The benefit packages have been good.

ConsThe company is horrible at providing a career path.
The company has mismanaged itself.
A few in upper management have the most say and receive the most support, leaving less popular departments to suffer and scramble for resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the actual quality of work of your managers and directors to see if they are actually cost effective.

Not bad, but ready to move on

I have been working at Leap Wireless

ProsGreat colleagues, benefits and location

ConsCareer and professional growth is poor

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your team

Not for long term

I worked at Leap Wireless

ProsExposure to tech industry, fast-paced corporate environment

Consno balance. Long hours. little recognition for those not "favored" by management.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to employees outside of the inner circle.

Worked for Leap Wireless? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Leap Wireless reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Leap Wireless CEO Doug Hutcheson. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Leap Wireless employees.