LeapFrog Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Very political and unhealthy environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the summer they close Emeryville office at 2pm. OK benefits. Good location

Cons

Very political environment. Bias incompetent management who are dismissive of new ideas and improvement. Not innovative. Senior Management lacks vision. Systems are really old and defective and NO documentation or processes for business anywhere. Every department is short staffed, so people work long hours of overtime. Management do not value employee's life.
    During the interview - they will promise you the world. Do not expect to get trained on anything. If you ask questions, Managements gets very defensive.
    If you take your job seriously, value accuracy, try to be efficient and good at it and try to change the unhealthy environment around you - there will be resistance. Lots of self inflated old-timers who lacks technical or theoretical knowledge and do NOT like change.
    Managers never take responsibility for anything and not afraid to let employees know that they are all disposable. Do not expect to get promoted within -

Advice to Management

Fire all the self inflated middle managers and bring in new blood.

2. Fun company, great products, hard work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time

Pros

Exciting, highly collaborative environment with passionate and talented people. Strong corporate mission of helping children achieve their potential. Individuals at all levels can have a strong, direct impact on the business.

Cons

Employees are often overwhelmed with the number of priorities placed on them. Company is expected to outperform itself year after year, even in a volatile industry, which leads to a tendency to try to do too much with very few resources (skeleton staffs, low budgets).

Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many. You get bagels on Friday and its a nice office in a good location.

Cons

This was one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. My first week here many of the employees admitted to me that they cried their first two months starting out. The stress level is extreme here and the overall company message is that you are expendable. The environment is very negative and not a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee morale. Make this a fun place to work.

It's too bad.

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are friendly and smart, and some people know what they're doing...

Cons

...but most people don't. There's a lot of inefficiency and process chaos. There are some archaic ways of thinking and doing business. Senior management doesn't know what's going on and their decisions reflect their lack of insight. High turnover means there's a lot of starting over, and things never really improve. There's not a lot of opportunity for growth or learning, which is disappointing. It's too bad, because the company makes great products for the most part.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are doing the actual work. When you find a good worker, who fits in well with the company and does a good job, do whatever you can to keep that person.

6. Company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Children oriented, good products on tablets

Cons

No improvement in culture, process or planning.

Don't even apply

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues were the best thing about working at LeapFrog. We worked in an open floor concept, so it was a good thing that we all got along.

Cons

Oh goodness. Pay. Benefits. Dishonesty. Lies. Unreasonable workload expectations.

I am not kidding when I say there were some days when it was an 18-hour work day. There were times where the Developers hadn't slept in two days because they were trying to meet a deadline. So in a nutshell, they treated their employees horribly.

Nothing about this company was done in a manner that supported their employees. All they care about is getting money in the door, whether it's morally correct or not it doesn't matter. Turnover is outrageous. And the only long-term people there are managers and people who are willing to be treated like they are completely replaceable.

Two phrases I heard constantly during my 3+ years working there: "Everyone is replaceable" and "Perception is everything".

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees' advancement. Give raises. Make reasonable expectations of workload. Give praise when a good job is done. Stop walking around just after 5 to see who is working late. Stop lying. Stop manipulating. Get rid of the ridiculous non-compete. Oh, and stop trying to intimidate employees into staying with you because of the non-compete.

Always something new, great support, fun place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Producer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission is solid. We are helping children reach their potential. I see it every day.
    I work with a fantastic team of committed, fun, easy-going people. I laugh every day.
    My manager respects a healthy work-life balance.
    Our newish (2 yrs) CEO is top notch, best I've seen in my time here.
    Process is king.

Cons

There are some frustrations like not getting approval on a project but still having to work on it.

Great people, poor management.

Former Employee - Producer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the smartest and savviest people in the Bay Area when I worked at "the frog" from 2000-2003. I was on the product development team and learned a tremendous amount from my peers and managers.

Cons

At the time, management had unrealistic schedules and deadlines. The pay was terrible, too. I hope that these things have changed since my time there.

mid senior level management role

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to learn, no debt company,

Cons

Highly political, primitive systems, processes, corrupt people, HR is never pro employees but only on the side of higher management, new bees are always dominated by the long time managers who are highly vocal and there is total unprofessional behavior which is interestingly ignored by HR. Very rigid process, zero innovation, their products are not that appealing, seasonal company with seasonal profits,

Advice to Management

Replace most of the old corrupt top level managers, make the company more pro employees, Invest in new talents with great experience, invest in projects wisely and provide opportunity for the new talents to lead process improvements, better marketing strategies for the products, better product ideas,

Just because LeapFrog build toys doesn't mean the employees should act like children

Former Employee - Just A Nobody So My Opinon Wouldn't Count in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Just A Nobody So My Opinon Wouldn't Count in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people can be pretty friendly and helpful. They are almost always approachable if you are diplomatic in what it is that you need or want from them.

Cons

Most of upper management just point fingers and complain about whose fault it is and things "not being in their job description". They tend to act like spoiled brats and whiny babies. Not good company culture since they tend to play the blame game. No sense of leadership and team work because there are too many want-to-be chiefs and not enough Indians.

Advice to Management

Set your personal tyrades aside, man up and step up. Take responsibility and show that you have what it takes to be a real leader and not just wear the title. Set the example and actually LEAD a TEAM and NOT be a BOSS.

RSS Feed </> Embed