LeapFrog Reviews

Updated September 24, 2014
2.6

LeapFrog CEO John Barbour
John Barbour

Pros
  • It's definitely a great brand to work for, and has a stellar reputation, and dedicated employees (in 12 reviews)

• Leapfrog it's a medium sized company with talented people which really love what they do (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management doesn't know what's going on and their decisions reflect their lack of insight (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to know what is going on in the trenches (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good product line
    Great co-workers
    Fair compensation

Cons

Bad senior management - revolving door of executives, each bringing their own style and changes which causes continual churn
    Lack of consistency
    Lack of work/life balance

Value your employees and don't view them as disposable. Set clear goals and objectives

Great products, crappy culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog

Pros

Great people at the rank & file level - fun to be around and really dedicated to making the products successful. There's a definite sense of camaraderie that helps you get through the day.
    Products you can be proud of - you know they are really making a difference in kids' lives.
    Stock is finally on an uptick, though who knows how long it may stay that way.

Cons

Does the previous reviewer work at the same company as me? I can't imagine how he/she can be so ecstatic about this place. If you spend any time working with the CEO on a regular basis, I can't imagine how you'd have that point of view. He can be great one minute but decides to berate you the next. He forgets what he's said/seen from one meeting to the next and completely contradicts himself from one meeting to the next - and what's worse, he micromanages every product and marketing decision, so it's next to impossible to get anything done. If you're looking to have any sense of ownership in your job, this is not the place for you.

Things are very political, particularly with the VP-and-above levels. Senior management (VP and above) lacks leadership and visionary skills, and the CEO seems to be doing little to address or change the issues. Most of the VP's are terrible at managing people, so don't expect any real career development here.

For a toy company, you would think this place would be family friendly, but that couldn't be further from the truth. It's a workhorse culture - ridiculous amounts of work given to understaffed teams with totally unrealistic expectations, which makes for long hours both in the office and once you're home. There is no on-site day care, no maternity benefits, and little to no schedule flexibility (any that you do have is totally dependent on how interested your manager is in giving it to you). The company is run by men (most of whom have stay at home wives), so there is little understanding of or appreciation for working moms in particular. Given they're competing with Silicon Valley firms, you'd think this would be a no-brainer.

Switch out your senior management for people who actually know how to manage people, lead, and know how to create a real future vision for the company and inspire excitement in their teams. Start caring more - in words and actions - about making the company family-friendly.

Excellent company, great leadership, amazing people, best employers I've worked for, ever.

I worked at LeapFrog

Pros

- JB the CEO has come in and made great strides to make LeapFrog the best company to work for. He is a wonderful leader, extremely charismatic and gives recognition where it's due.
    - The people are amazing, passionate, smart and loyal
    - Everyone is impressed when you tell them you work here
    - Company meetings are interesting and efficient
    - Fun parties and events
    - LeapDays mean you get out at 12pm Fridays before Holidays
    - The past year has been a major "turn around" point at the company since JB started working here
    - Competitive Pay
    - Generous metrics based Bonuses
    - Generous Benefits
    - They brought back 401k matching!!
    - Work you do is meaningful and impactful in helping children reach their full potential
    - Stress-free environment relative to other companies
    - Normal work-life balance, hours are dependable and average, plenty of flexibility
    - Smiling faces
    - Education has been put at the forefront
    - Resources are available when you ask for them
    - People genuinely love coming to work every day
    - The stock is doing tremendously, and stock options/discounts
    - HR team uses metrics and company survey results to try to make improvements, constantly reflecting on how to revive the energy of the group
    - Start-up vibe with backing of a major company
    - Free LeapPad!!

As you can see, I absolutely love being at LeapFrog. I cannot think of a better place to work in the Bay Area. When I started I had heard mixed thing because of all of the leadership changes but this company has been nothing like that now that JB is here. I sincerely give this company my highest recommendation and hope that it continues to attract incredible talent and inspiring leadership.

Cons

- For me it was the commute, but that's not LeapFrog's fault :)
    - It can be hard to move up, but I've seen a lot of people get promoted since I've been here.

I really can't think of anything else.

JB - everyone is so thankful you have stepped out of retirement to lead our group! My only advice is to continue with it, because its working!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible leadership, constantly changing priorities, no vision

I worked at LeapFrog

Pros

Really good people (but the best don't last long)
    Interesting products

Cons

Terrible leadership that is constantly changing, so the priorities are constantly changing.
    Not people-centric. Inept HR leadership, who quite frankly, are downright mean and condescending.
    Not competitive in terms of salary or benefits.
    Highly politicized culture. The "suck-ups" are the only ones with upward mobility.
    Did I mention terrible leadership.

Take a hard look at yourselves and make the difficult changes necessary to save this once interesting organization.

Creative opportunities are interesting, but the advancement and compensation is embarrassing.

Current Employee - Producer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog

Pros

The work is interesting an the people are pretty nice. I am happy to be working on something that helps kids, kids enjoy and parent love. Most similar industry positions produce a product that is just for entertainment value.
    I also enjoy the work environment. The space is open and comfortable.

Cons

The salaries are not competitive across the company.
    The executive team is all men.
    There is no credit given on products design.

Recognize your incredible staff, employees that work hard, long hours and design amazing products. Give advancement to those who deserve it, allow opportunity to grow with the company.

Was a great place to work and maybe heading that way again

I worked at LeapFrog

Pros

Between 2000 and 2006, the people I worked with on a daily basis were smart, competent and helpful. Generally, a pleasant environment. People there were focused on having a good time getting the work done. Work schedules were generally flexible.

Cons

From 2006 till my departure it seemed like upper management was disconnected. Bloated executive layer. Lack of top-down communication. Managerial churn.

Get back to the basics. Focus on the company's core strengths -- rich, educational content delivered creatively and effectively, in my humble opinion.

Great opportunities for hard workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog

Pros

Small company that has potential for future growth. Products we make are making a difference in peoples lives. Since it's a small company, your work is noticed, for better or for worse.

Cons

You can't ever miss a beat, it's fast paced and the company is REALLY depending on you to perform. Many people who have been with the company for a long time seem to have great job security even though their work effort is greatly reduced. It's a marketing company first, engineering company 2nd (maybe 3rd...4th...). Engineering does not receive the recognition and budgeting that it deserves which causes products to have high potential but poor execution.

Need to thin out on the under performers and better recognize over achievers, especially outside of the sales and marketing team, the engineering team is where the products come from, yet they never receive company wide recognition for their work, while people who secured a deal with Target seem to be well thanked, remember there would be no deal to make if engineering had not come through.

Lots of progress

Current Employee - Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog

Pros

Fun products that help kids learn. Great brand. Fun place to work. Company meetings. Lots of friendly employees who really care about the company.

Cons

Over the years I have seen a lot of changes. There's been lots of turnover and some really poor management. Things have got a lot better over the last 6 months.

Lots of positive changes in 2011. New leadership has made lots of good changes and should continue to build teamwork across work groups.

Good brand; terrible senior management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog

Pros

- Fun, creative co-workers. Casual culture
    - Work-life balance
    - Products that make you feel good about your job
    - Decent benefits package
    - One of the few B2C product companies in California
    - New CEO brings in hope for a better future

Cons

- Cartel of incompetent senior management: legacy management that needs to be replaced with leaders who can adapt to today's market demands

- Politics, politics, politics: Many incompetent senior managers/directors just try to hold on to their jobs. They refuse to take responsibility for tasks assigned to them and blame others for failures.

- Silo-ed culture: no cross-team collaboration. Inflated egos. People refuse to talk to other teams, ending up re-inventing the wheel several times.

- Has a history of failing to bring great ideas into action

Consider restructuring the teams. Nurture collaborative environment. Hire leaders, not managers. Try harder in retaining your best talent. Otherwise, all there will be left would be a bunch of incompetent people who are not employable elsewhere.

As an intern, i had a very positive experience working across business units to generate and pitch innovative ideas.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Intern  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Intern in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog

Pros

Cross-functional work environment; team leaders have an open door policy, and are happy to share their expertise. Strong support from supervisors and colleagues. Knowledge sharing is also strong.

Cons

Teams are very protective of their projects, even when changes are needed.

Help teams understand that critical feedback should be welcomed, and that punitive measures will not be the result of risk-taking.

LeapFrog Photos

LeapFrog Lobby
Company Picnic
Leapfrog HQ

+ Add Photo

Worked for LeapFrog? Contribute to the Community!