Leapforce

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
3.1

Daren Jackson

Pros
  • Its definitely a great work from home opportunity for those who would not get bored easily (in 48 reviews)

• It is also good work for graduate students who tend to need flexible hours from their supplemental employment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Most times, there are no tasks available (in 7 reviews)

• In no way would working this position for any amount of time contribute to your career (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great pay for work at home job

I worked at Leapforce

Pros

Much higher than minimum wage for work at home
    Flexible hours

Cons

Not very good customer service
    Job could be pulled from you at any time if your quality suffers even a little

Give people a chance to improve their quality before firing them

A real work from home job

I have been working at Leapforce part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Living wage, make your own schedule, no phone calls required

Cons

hours of unpaid training, delay in hiring process

Not enough work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for sitting at your computer in your underwear.

Cons

Some days there is only an hour worth of work.

Don't hire so many people. Give current employees more to do.

If you like working for free, then this is the place for you

Current Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator
    Current Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Can work your own hours but then again, since you will be cheated out of income you rightfully worked for, you might as well collect unemployment because it pays better.

Cons

After 2 weeks of logging hours, I was diligent to make sure that I logged out every time and stopped the stopwatch on my Iphone when I took a break or had to read their lengthy instructions at the beginning of each new task. In other words, you are not paid while reading their instructions on how to complete the task but that's OK since this was disclosed up front.

I submitted my first time card for the month of January for 19 hours and they kicked it back stating that I was 53% of productivity. Meaning, they wanted me to revise my time card from 19 hours to 10 hours. I refused and sent it back to them with a note and they kicked it back to me and then locked my account for "productivity" which means they will not assign me any more tasks until I revise my time card. I've already advised of my intent to discontinue my contract and to pay me what I am owed. I will update this review pending the outcome.

What really annoys me is that after working the first 2 days which exceeded 2 hours a day when I was told that I will be receiving an hour of work a day, I emailed support asking them if I'm spending too much time or, am I receiving more work than anticipated. They told me they can't tell me that until "after I've submitted the invoice for the month" so You have to work the entire month to only find out that they will not honor your hours.

I can understand a little discrepancy but 9 hours? That's completely absurd. I recorded the time honestly, accurately and fairly. Many times when given a task, you need to do additional research simply to understand the search engine query. They even tell you to research queries that you're not familiar with because they emphasize quality above all. They also insist on copious detailed notes with explanations along with your ratings evals so I don't see how you can maintain any measure of quality based on the time constraints placed on you. Furthermore, none of this is explained to you upfront as they are advertising an hourly rate of $13.50.

I am not sure how any of this is legal as you are categorized as a 1099 independent contractor but if you read what the DOL states about independent contractors, the employer cannot direct the means or the manner for how you the contractor will perform the work just the result but clearly this is what Leapforce does.

so if you decide to try this work from home opportunity, proceed with caution and expect to work 30% - 50% of your hours on your own time. In the end, you're not earning $13.50/hr but closer to $7.00 hr which is below the Federal minimum wage. Unemployment pays better than that!

Revise the estimated time to complete tasks as they are clearly un-attainable or, disclose the hours and number of tasks upfront you are willing to pay per assignment so the contractor knows if they are willing to proceed. To be blunt, stop cheating people out of their money.

Great for working from home

I have been working at Leapforce

Pros

flexibility, working from home, independence

Cons

not much hours and less pay

Unreliable source of income

Former Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator
    Former Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator

I worked at Leapforce as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, set your own schedule.

Cons

No benefits, no growth opportunities, oftentimes there is little or no work available. You may sit down ready to knock out 4 hours and only get 20 minutes worth of work. After four years never received a pay increase. Any money made is not taxed so you receive a 1099-MISC at the end of the year and must pay your own income tax.
    Monthly quality reviews are entirely subjective and what may be considered relevant to one person can be interpreted as irrelevant to another, making said reviews mostly useless and a convenient way for Leapforce to thin the ranks when needed.

Don't advertise Leapforce as a replacement for a real job. It is supplementary at best, and when there is hardly any work available it's barely worth doing.

Flexible

I have been working at Leapforce

Pros

Able to work on my own schedule, good pay, good training materials!

Cons

constantly being reviewed does cause some anxiety

Management is on the right path with new training materials and feedback constantly being added.

One could possibly make some money working from home, but company does not pay an hourly wage, as they advertise.

Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Leapforce

Pros

Abilty to work from home, on your own schedule.

Cons

Compensation is not provided per hours worked. It is task-based. Somehow, they are apparently legally allowed to advertise an hourly rate, but you are paid for the number of tasks completed, not the time you spend working on them. And you have to perform the tasks at their pre-determined rate. If you send them an invoice for the number of tasks you completed and the number of hours it actually took you to complete them, and the corresponding tasks-per-hour rate is lower than they’ve decided it should be, they will reject your invoice, and require you to submit one that charges for the amount of time they say it should have taken you. How or why this is legal, when they advertise the position as paying an hourly rate, I don’t know.

There are no benefits.

All communication with Leapforce staff is via email. There is no phone support. It is like working for a machine. That actually may be the case; I’m not sure. They refer you to a contractor chat page, wherein relative veterans can respond to questions from neophytes. This seems pretty cheap and lazy – to have the contractors figure things out among themselves. You can e-mail an actual Leapforce support department, and they usually do get back to you reasonably soon. But since there are numerous issues and points of confusion, better accessibility would be in order.

They attempt to pressure the contractors to work faster, yet complain that the analysis provided is not sufficiently comprehensive. They want thorough and accurate evaluations, with copious notes, but allow insufficient time per task to achieve this.

Tasks are not always available.

Contractor sometimes have to read, on their own time, lengthy study material to pass qualification tests for various projects.

You can find blogs and web sites whereupon current and former Leapforce contractors commiserate about how frustrating the company make things - speed/thoroughness/accuracy pressure, invoicing problems, capricious terminations, impatient support staff to whom one never speaks.

Search Engine Evaluation for Leapforce is not a scam, but it is simplistically and inaccurately represented in the company's advertising, and the manner in which the contractors are dealt with is rather exploitative, impatient, and impersonal. If you can function very quickly, and consistently produce work that satisfies there often seemingly arbitrary criteria, you could make some money. Not much, but some. But due to the inconsistent availability of tasks, unpaid research time, fickleness of their assessors, and other factors, it's probably not something you’d want to grind away at for a long time. Having said that, there people who claim to have been doing it for three years or more. Maybe they are telling the truth. Maybe not.

At least be honest about the nature of the compensation in your advertising/site job description. This is effectively timed piecemeal work, not hourly wage-compensated.

And you need to make it clear that you will only pay the contractor if the tasks are performed at the rate you assign to them, whether that rate is reasonable or not. None of this is disclosed in your ads, nor is the pace aspect a factor during the qualification test, which i completed and passed much more slowly than the required rate of the actual tasks with which I was assigned, post-contract approval.

Why the insistence on speed? Since you are paying per task, not per hour, why not just let the contractors perform the work at whatever pace they need to in order to produce results that meet your standards? You would get better critical analyses, with fewer errors and omissions.

And regarding your nondisclosure agreement, unclench. You guys haven’t reinvented the wheel, or anything else.

After working for 3 months and having to fight every time to get paid for the time I worked, I am leaving.

Current Contractor - Search Engine Rater in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Search Engine Rater in Austin, TX

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, can do it anywhere and any time I want. I can generally do the work while doing just about anything else.

Cons

The pay is not good, and I have had to fight with them every month to get them to pay me for the full time that I had worked. After the first time I kept very close track of the time that I worked and the estimated time of the tasks and none of it matched what they claimed I worked. They did eventually pay me correctly but it was delayed and took a bit of back and forth to get it to happen.

Stop trying to cheat people out of the money they are supposed to be paid.

Good for additional income and "nest egg" building.

Current Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This is a legitimate work from home contract position. If you preform well there should be no shortage of work for you. You can work whenever you want, providing that there is currently work available on your project(s).

Cons

Working at home can become a bit boring without the social aspect of working with others. But they do have a chat feature that, I guess, adds some sort of socialization.

None at this time