Leapforce

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

Daren Jackson

Pros
  • Its definitely a great work from home opportunity for those who would not get bored easily (in 48 reviews)

• It is also good work for graduate students who tend to need flexible hours from their supplemental employment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Most times, there are no tasks available (in 7 reviews)

• In no way would working this position for any amount of time contribute to your career (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexible

I have been working at Leapforce

Pros

Able to work on my own schedule, good pay, good training materials!

Cons

constantly being reviewed does cause some anxiety

Management is on the right path with new training materials and feedback constantly being added.

Great for working from home

I have been working at Leapforce

Pros

flexibility, working from home, independence

Cons

not much hours and less pay

Unreliable source of income

Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator

I worked at Leapforce as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, set your own schedule.

Cons

No benefits, no growth opportunities, oftentimes there is little or no work available. You may sit down ready to knock out 4 hours and only get 20 minutes worth of work. After four years never received a pay increase. Any money made is not taxed so you receive a 1099-MISC at the end of the year and must pay your own income tax.
    Monthly quality reviews are entirely subjective and what may be considered relevant to one person can be interpreted as irrelevant to another, making said reviews mostly useless and a convenient way for Leapforce to thin the ranks when needed.

Don't advertise Leapforce as a replacement for a real job. It is supplementary at best, and when there is hardly any work available it's barely worth doing.

After working for 3 months and having to fight every time to get paid for the time I worked, I am leaving.

Current Employee - Search Engine Rater in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Search Engine Rater in Austin, TX

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, can do it anywhere and any time I want. I can generally do the work while doing just about anything else.

Cons

The pay is not good, and I have had to fight with them every month to get them to pay me for the full time that I had worked. After the first time I kept very close track of the time that I worked and the estimated time of the tasks and none of it matched what they claimed I worked. They did eventually pay me correctly but it was delayed and took a bit of back and forth to get it to happen.

Stop trying to cheat people out of the money they are supposed to be paid.

One could possibly make some money working from home, but company does not pay an hourly wage, as they advertise.

Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Leapforce

Pros

Abilty to work from home, on your own schedule.

Cons

Compensation is not provided per hours worked. It is task-based. Somehow, they are apparently legally allowed to advertise an hourly rate, but you are paid for the number of tasks completed, not the time you spend working on them. And you have to perform the tasks at their pre-determined rate. If you send them an invoice for the number of tasks you completed and the number of hours it actually took you to complete them, and the corresponding tasks-per-hour rate is lower than they’ve decided it should be, they will reject your invoice, and require you to submit one that charges for the amount of time they say it should have taken you. How or why this is legal, when they advertise the position as paying an hourly rate, I don’t know.

There are no benefits.

All communication with Leapforce staff is via email. There is no phone support. It is like working for a machine. That actually may be the case; I’m not sure. They refer you to a contractor chat page, wherein relative veterans can respond to questions from neophytes. This seems pretty cheap and lazy – to have the contractors figure things out among themselves. You can e-mail an actual Leapforce support department, and they usually do get back to you reasonably soon. But since there are numerous issues and points of confusion, better accessibility would be in order.

They attempt to pressure the contractors to work faster, yet complain that the analysis provided is not sufficiently comprehensive. They want thorough and accurate evaluations, with copious notes, but allow insufficient time per task to achieve this.

Tasks are not always available.

Contractor sometimes have to read, on their own time, lengthy study material to pass qualification tests for various projects.

You can find blogs and web sites whereupon current and former Leapforce contractors commiserate about how frustrating the company make things - speed/thoroughness/accuracy pressure, invoicing problems, capricious terminations, impatient support staff to whom one never speaks.

Search Engine Evaluation for Leapforce is not a scam, but it is simplistically and inaccurately represented in the company's advertising, and the manner in which the contractors are dealt with is rather exploitative, impatient, and impersonal. If you can function very quickly, and consistently produce work that satisfies there often seemingly arbitrary criteria, you could make some money. Not much, but some. But due to the inconsistent availability of tasks, unpaid research time, fickleness of their assessors, and other factors, it's probably not something you’d want to grind away at for a long time. Having said that, there people who claim to have been doing it for three years or more. Maybe they are telling the truth. Maybe not.

At least be honest about the nature of the compensation in your advertising/site job description. This is effectively timed piecemeal work, not hourly wage-compensated.

And you need to make it clear that you will only pay the contractor if the tasks are performed at the rate you assign to them, whether that rate is reasonable or not. None of this is disclosed in your ads, nor is the pace aspect a factor during the qualification test, which i completed and passed much more slowly than the required rate of the actual tasks with which I was assigned, post-contract approval.

Why the insistence on speed? Since you are paying per task, not per hour, why not just let the contractors perform the work at whatever pace they need to in order to produce results that meet your standards? You would get better critical analyses, with fewer errors and omissions.

And regarding your nondisclosure agreement, unclench. You guys haven’t reinvented the wheel, or anything else.

Good for additional income and "nest egg" building.

Current Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This is a legitimate work from home contract position. If you preform well there should be no shortage of work for you. You can work whenever you want, providing that there is currently work available on your project(s).

Cons

Working at home can become a bit boring without the social aspect of working with others. But they do have a chat feature that, I guess, adds some sort of socialization.

None at this time

It's all what you make it.

Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator

I worked at Leapforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Schedule freedom, easy work, ample training material, and a ton of simulators.

Cons

No paid training, sometimes the instructions were not very clear, and the work easily becomes repetitive and mind-numbing. We were in the process of moving, and I was unable to access the internet to get my tasks done, so my account was terminated.

There needs to be more small tasks to help give your mind a slight break after working all large tasks.

Excellent job if you can keep up

Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Search Engine Evaluator in Austin, TX

I worked at Leapforce as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The company now offers quite a lot of different training tools for new hires than it did when I initially applied. The entire job is on-your-own-time, meaning you can essentially work whenever you want and, overall quality permitting, as long as you want. The job is fantastic for stay-at-home parents or students.

Cons

While the standard set of guidelines doesn't change often, the expectation of what you should be drawing from those guidelines does change. If you can't keep up, you'll burn out.

Make it clear why some of the guidelines change. Reviews come and go with the same set of guidelines, yet sometimes wildly different expectations.

And stop being so secretive about everything. The IC's might get in a fuss, but better to tell them what is actually happening and not let them have to guess at it.

Independent Agent

Current Employee - Independent Agent
    Current Employee - Independent Agent

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The pros are that an agent can set his or her own hours, can work from home so there is no travel time, and the work is fairly steady. There is a chat board to connect with others working for the same company. There are monthly reviews so an employee can pin point areas in which to improve.

Cons

The cons are the usual cons associated being with an independent contractor such as unpaid training, no long term job security, etc.

I feel like you try to connect with employees through the live chat training sessions and the monthly feedback so definitely continue with those.

Paid Research and Analysis

Current Employee - Search Engine Evaluator
    Current Employee - Search Engine Evaluator

I have been working at Leapforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great complementary income
    Work-life balance
    Gain knowledge

Cons

Pay could be higher
    Capped hourly rate
    Slow payments

Decrease the duration of restrictions for poor rater performance? Increase work availability for international raters? Allow US raters to work abroad? Continue the great work with the Path to Better Rating series :)