LearnVest

LearnVest Reviews

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014

Alexa von Tobel

Excellent learning experience working on an inspiring mission.

Former Employee - Operations & Product in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations & Product in New York, NY

I worked at LearnVest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- LearnVest has an inspiring and well founded mission which is exciting to work for.
    - Colleagues are extremely smart and happy to help each other.
    - Diversity of projects keeps things interesting.
    - There is freedom and autonomy to get things done.
    - HR works hard to promote a good culture and fun work environment.
    - Great health care and benefits.

Cons

- Growth trajectory and overall direction can be unclear.
    - Better defined metrics when evaluating employees, teams and products would be helpful.
    - Career development and the opportunity to grow competencies could be improved.

Not bad

I worked at LearnVest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool place to work. Everyone is pretty awesome and intelligent, with impressive backgrounds. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow within the company.

Cons

Managers could be more organized. Will low-ball you on your salary. Wish there were more diversity in the employees. Need stronger more resources to innovate.

Better compensation/recognition to employees that are doing the real work. Learn to retain and nurture your talent.

Unfulfilling, Underpaid

I worked at LearnVest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• There are a handful of really great people here. Unfortunately those people leave quickly.

• Health insurance and snacks are the only great benefit here. Their health insurance is top notch.

• The mission (if management actually cared about it and stopped making it a smoke and mirrors show) is an honorable one.

Cons

• It's a huge popularity contest. Everything here revolves around politics. Many people there were fake. This culture makes it hard to get anything done.

• Upper management does not care about you or the mission. Their top priority is to prepare this company to be sold to whoever will pay the most (although they'll never admit that).

• Benefits don't match what's advertised. Never any time to take vacation. Employee equity grants are small and negligible. Compensation is below average for all but a few positions.

• They'll promote people who are winning the popularity contest and not necessarily the best for the role.

• You will never leave at a reasonable hour or have a social life. They love offering free alcohol so you can enjoy your social life at work.

• Management will make a decision and then reverse it soon after. This is a normal occurrence. They can't seem to make up their mind with anything. During my time there, a lot of time was lost because of this.

• HR doesn't care about the people. Worst people-ops team I've ever seen at a company. No communication, mismanaged. Sub-par compensation and bonuses.

Female Creatives... Run (away)

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at LearnVest full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people— sans leadership. Most of the leadership in the company is pretty amazing, actually. I just happened to work in the one place where it was surprisingly misogynistic, fraught with gender typing, lacking in creativity, and so so so boring + reductive

Cons

Creative Director, Team Manager, Leadership, Communication

Learn how to use spell-check. Stop putting your feet on the table at meetings. Please don't tell me that women are more emotional while men are more logical. The approach 'don't fix it til it's broken' is never how to describe a managing style. Do the company a favor and stop dismissing the opinions of your senior designers. Also, if you're too lazy to lead, step away from the position

Never Given a Chance

Former Employee - Planning Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Planning Sales Associate

I worked at LearnVest full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Snacks in the office, nice office, good hours, relaxed setting

Cons

I was let go to make room for a friend of the manager. I was very successful in my preparation for the series 65 test, and was nearly perfect on my practice tests, but was let go without cause, when others in the company had failed the test multiple times.

Hire more intelligent people to manage your sales department, who will not let people go who have not even taken the test yet, when there are other unintelligent people working for the company who have failed multiple times.

Love LearnVest

Current Employee - Financial Planning Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Planning Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at LearnVest full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you want to work for a company that has a passion for helping the middle class with financial plans, then LearnVest is the company to work for. The company is very innovative, fast-moving, and I can foresee LearnVest growing and expanding even more so than it has already. I have wanted to work for this company for awhile now and I am so happy to now be able to work for this great company now that there is an office in Arizona.

Cons

This is a start-up so it isn't a regular 9-5 job which is explained up-front in the interview process. This is great, though, for those that are entrepreneurial-minded and want to learn lots and grow in their careers.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at LearnVest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome, everyone is willing to help each other out. You get to work with some very smart people and be the forefront of a new industry. If you're type A that loves to succeed and be noticed, this is a great place to sink your teeth into.

Cons

Hours are typical of a start up 9-7 but a lot of people work much later and on weekends. Bathrooms less then desirable. Very little career development opportunities.

Fantastic learning opportunity with open-minded tech management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LearnVest

Pros

Excellent focus on tech, UX, and design. The folks involved in both are sterling and some of the smartest people I've worked with. Tech leadership encourages learning and experimentation and are keen on moving to the top of the field. Company happy hours encourage good rapport between coworkers.

Cons

Bonuses were pegged to overall company performance metrics that were hazily defined. Opportunities for increased compensation are rare. Not much interaction between product team and developers. 10-hour days not uncommon. Current QA practices could be improved.

You have a lot of smart and eager people working for you. Compensate them well so that you can hold on to their talent.

Excellent place to learn and experience startup culture

I worked at LearnVest

Pros

Bright, motivated staff and fun company get-togethers make LearnVest a dynamic, exciting place to work. I had many opportunities to work independently, but I also benefited from interacting with the rest of the team.

Cons

The hours can be long. I typically worked from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Assignments can be demanding, as well, but my team members were willing to offer help if I needed it.