Learning Sciences International

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
3.1

CEO

Freedom to do the work I am passionate about!

Current Contractor - Staff Developer in Pasco, FL
    Current Contractor - Staff Developer in Pasco, FL

I have been working at Learning Sciences International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

People are kind and good at what they do. I enjoy traveling and meeting new people and supporting them with learning and using the framework. I learn just as much from them then they do of me.

Cons

Being away from my children and husband for 2-3 days a week is difficult emotionally, but I am home full time on those remaining 4 days and give them my all!

Management is so kind and open to ideas. I don't have any issues.

Treats employees horrible...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blairsville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blairsville, PA

I have been working at Learning Sciences International full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits. Company paid insurance is the sole reason I haven't left the company. Medical, dental, and eye insurance with a $300 deductible. Still company paid with a spouse or child added on, with a $600 deductible.

Cons

Ridiculous workload. High turnover rate. Rather than hire new employees most of the time, the workload gets divided amongst those who are still here, resulting in an incredible amount of stress and an inability to keep up, leading to more employees leaving. The company cannot decide what direction it wants to move in and there is no communication from management on changes. They do not offer cost-of-living raises. Employees who have been here 3 years have never gotten a raise. The 2 brothers who own the company do absolutely nothing to make their employees feel valued. Concerns get pushed aside as unimportant. The only decent position offered by this company is their contracted staff developers who recieve multiple large raises per year, while standard employees get told that "The company isn't making enough profit to be able to offer raises right now."

A company in growth tends to have challenges

I have been working at Learning Sciences International full-time

Pros

Autonomy, good people, freedom to do your thing... Very liberal non corporate culture.

Cons

Pay is on the weak side for non educators. Understand the need to be top heavy on that side, but they lose a lot of quality people because they are not willing to pay accordingly if you are not an educator.

Give long term employees a raise already, they are better than the standard cost of living increase and you know it.

Don't waste your time.

I worked at Learning Sciences International

Pros

The office in York is very modern.

Cons

Never received a job description. Explained I was unfamiliar with what was involved, based on the job title. The owners insisted I was the right person for the job. Never received any training. Strangest working environment ever. They seemed to hire a lot of people who were laid off, only to lay them back off weeks later. A lot of whispering goes on. No real direction.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Learning Sciences International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always interesting projects to work on. Great co-workers who are very intelligent and supportive.

Cons

The company is growing so you need to be prepared to re-prioritize your deadlines.

Keep including employees in decision making process.

Great place to learn and grow.

Former Employee - Consultant in York, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in York, PA

I worked at Learning Sciences International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I didn't know anything about business as I was an educator. I grew immensely at this company.

Cons

There was one person who was difficult to work with. The owners were sensitive to this and readily took care of the situation.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Blairsville is a mess and full of judgmental people with more hubris and pride than knowledge or ability

Former Employee - Accounting/Human Resources in Blairsville, PA
    Former Employee - Accounting/Human Resources in Blairsville, PA

I worked at Learning Sciences International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent salary for the area.

Cons

Terribly messy start to the company and how it's data was handled. No policies were in place for years and now anyone new that attempts to clean it up pays the price. Pride, judgment and insecurity get in the way of change and progress. This is speaking mostly for the Blairsville, PA office but this type of culture is like a disease that will eventually kill any growth and ultimately, the business.

There is a mess that will take an honest look and everyone will need to take responsibility for cleaning up.

complete waste of time

I worked at Learning Sciences International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job was terrible. I was lied to every step of the way by the brothers who managed the company. It became apparent that the only reason for the companies existence was for their profit and ego. No vision, no real opportunity, no professional growth....just two greedy hustlers using others talent to attain what they don't deserve.

Cons

What can I say, you've read the Pro's. This whole operation is not real, and very close to being a scam in so far as what they claim to do be able to do and what actually is done is as different as night and day. Hopelessly dead end situation.

Management does not believe in taking advise, which coincidentally is why they are failing.

How refreshing - My thinking really matters!

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Pros

Work hours are flexible, work location is flexible, technology is up-to-date and used in all facets of the job.

Cons

Sometimes there are "rush" jobs that need to be done with a very close deadline. And failing to turn out a product that is sub-par is definitely NOT an option.

It would be helpful if there were structures in place to provide all employees with feedback on performance at certain time milestones - 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, then annually.

Smart colleagues, great teamwork, excellent working conditions

Current Employee - Marketing in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Learning Sciences International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has a mostly flat structure with very little middle management. Employees are self directed. Colleagues are smart, helpful, and work well in teams. The company mission is well articulated. And the industry is an exciting one. Highly recommended.

Cons

Very few. Employees who need a lot of direction probably wouldn't function optimally here.