Learning Tree Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.9
David C. Collins

Pros
  • Friendly co-workers and good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people who work for this company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No regard for personal work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management and the new VP's are the worse (in 5 reviews)

Having been following the comments over the past few months

I have been working at Learning Tree full-time

Pros

I agree with some – disagree with others. The colleagues I work with are great. The best I've had the pleasure of working with for a while.

Cons

Regarding management: just as an observer, I think the CEO micromanaging our marketing staff is a big roadblock to progress. They impress me as talented people - take advantage of their creativity and let them do their job. Same with the IS team.

Advice to Management

See comments above.

2. Lots of change

I worked at Learning Tree full-time

Pros

Engaged lots of smart people to develop courses, real commitment to delivering quality training materials.

Cons

Industry in decline, company challenged to adapt to new realities. Senior management tried to save their way through rough patch, underestimating the sea change in training market.

Advice to Management

Change your approach to offer more training options than the traditional classroom training, or remote participation in classroom training. Stop cancelling so many events.

THEY MADE BAD HIRING DECISIONS AND DIDN

Current Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree

Pros

Each opportunity in life is what you make of it. I can think of 15 success stories off the top of my head from current and (a few) former employees. I've been at the company for 2 years and despite the current culture/economic challenges I see myself at for a very long time. I think it is silly to take a job and come on a board and talk bad about it. Why did you take the job and why did you keep the job it is terrible? The culture is lacking right now because people come to work to bring others down. Luckily, I am disciplined and go about my ways and there are days where I drive home (in my brand new 30k car, just saying....) and think bad thoughts but always remember that the pay is handsome and the company has a reputation of gold (minus the past 4 years). The CEO is old, yes. The CEO may not make the best decisions at times, yes. BUT the CEO has kept the company afloat for 40 years so please do not disrespect the man. He is responsible for the knowledge gain of not only the IT Teams in the Federal, State, and Local Governments but Fortune 500 companies around the world. **IF YOU ARE ENTRY LEVEL, A SMART INDIVIDUAL, AND HAVE THE AMBITION TO CLIMB THE LADDER YOU CAN 6 FIGURES AFTER YOUR FIRST YEAR WITHOUT A DOUBT** PROS - BENEFITS, SALARY, UNCAPPED COMMISS. (SALES), 10 FIGURE PAYCHECKS AT THE END OF THE QUARTER FOR TOP PERFORMERS (Very do-able as I've done it once already).. If you interview and think it is a good fit, give it a spin but only if you are serious. Embrace your colleagues and embrace your work day. While it may not be your hobby of choice to work you might as well enjoy it when you come in daily.

Cons

Lack of modernization - the metrics are about as old as The West as are the phones. If you want folks to come to work excited, please invest in new telephones... Training company that rarely encourages training - training is allowed and I've personally trained at Learning Tree and the class was excellent but it isn't encouraged so sometimes selling a product you haven't tried is like selling nuclear missiles to foreign countries. Product Extensions - too many at once. Invest wisely and follow that investment up with another. Disparity in Pay - I'm not complaining about how much most of the individuals are payed but some are really underpaid making them unmotivated effecting the bottom line. You pay them peanuts, you get an elephant. Work From Home - I dont like the reasoning folks give, "I heard they were allowed to in the past but now we cant" because no one is entitled to anything, especially when they pay you. What I believe is a system should be set up to have mini-remote offices and days of the week to remote from home to keep things changing. there are 3-4 folks who work from home but no others were given permission. IF YOU HAVE A KID YOU WILL GET TREATED MORE LENIENTLY. I Don't have a kid (or do I????) and don't think this is an issue because it is their loss but there are too many individuals who take this job for granted. They don't allow any decision-making from the lower level employees but hey, less to worry about.

Advice to Management

Management has been known to micromanage in a very passive way but they are there to help you and serve as go-to folks for me on a daily basis. MANAGEMENT - please monitor individuals daily habits and see the disparity in work ethic. Revenue is king but some folks have the same book of business from 2005 and literally get their metrics from talking non-sense on the phone. WORK FROM HOME - we deserve it (or at least most) so make some kind of a prize at an event for half of the individuals to have a set number of days to work from home.

old company

Current Employee - Training Advisor in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Training Advisor in Reston, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree

Pros

good benefits, free fruit, coffee and oatmeal. Decent workspace and nice people. Not over worked. flexible work hours.

Cons

old technology that they created themselves and still uses lotus notes, still have to do paper work, not enough people in accounting. too flexibile with customers, customer service hires some bad people who are supposed to support my role but can cost me commission.

Advice to Management

higher salaries, update your technologies, don't be so flexibile with customers that they can not show up to a course and it doesn't cost them or their company anything

What a mistake

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree (More than a year)

Pros

There seems to be some really smart people here. I was really impressed with my first day and the introduction to benefits and stuff. They walked me around and I had a nice lunch.

Cons

I do think I made a mistake taking a job here. I wasn't told the truth as to what the status of the company is in. It's in terrible financial shape...on the brink of bankruptcy, but that is my fault for not looking that part up. I could have found that out through google. But what I didn't know what the lack of communication, lack of dedication to projects and the terrible mood everyone is in. I have seen probably thirty people resign and on top of that the company lets people go on a regular basis. I wouldn't think they could afford to do that, but they have. They let go of a really good employee in IS out of the blue. The projects keep changing and they aren't even exciting. And if that wasn't enough, the CEO can be heard yelling at people and swearing at people. I get nervous that he is going to have a heart attack (he is really old). It was a mistake to take this job. Learn from others.

Advice to Management

I would think that you would need to actually change the management team. Starting with the CEO. He looks like he should have retired about twenty years ago.

It was Nice Knowing you

I worked at Learning Tree full-time

Pros

Not many. You got coffee. If you were lucky you got a parking spot.

Cons

The building was a wreck. Barely habitable. The management was THE.WORST.EVER. It was surreal. I thought I was watching a bad management video. I still think it was a bad dream. Everyone was micromanaged. No one knew what was going on. Projects changed daily, no hourly. IS was blaimed for everything. It is NOT IS's fault. No, it is your fault Mr. COO and Mr. CEO and Mr. President. No one elses but yours. You have all messed up this company and treated everyone like a piece of dirt. Mr. COO you do not know everything there is about running a company. But you do now know everything there is about destroying a company. Your ideas are terrible and poorly executed.

Advice to Management

I would think that the executive management would get it by now. The people have spoken. the market has spoken. You are not what is best for this company. If you still want to have any cash in the bank, you still have a chance by leaving. This company is making your employees sick and completely stressed out. You created the mess you are in, you fix it. Don't blame your employees for your mistakes.

It's coo-coo there now...

I worked at Learning Tree full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were like family to me. They were one of the reasons I looked forward to coming to work. Most of them are gone now. They offer free Learning Tree classes as a benefit. A family member can also avail of this benefit once a year. They have free coffee, tea, fruit, and oatmeal. They have a ping-pong and a foosball table in the large breakroom.

Cons

The Chief Operating Officer of the company. He started as an instructor and in about a year, he became the COO. Some people believe this was because he house-sat and dog-sat for the CEO. Or maybe because he would spend hours with the CEO in the CEO’s home over a few(?) drinks up until the wee hours of the night. Sometimes I think this is where the ideas of making the company more lucrative are contrived. Then the next working day, they will call the managers and say something like, "We have this great idea and we are doing this. We launch next month. You figure out how to get it done by then. It will be so great, we will make lots of money." I don't think they do a full profitability, risk, or feasibility analysis, hence these projects are so fraught with failure. I understand the need to make the company profitable, however, if projects are done hastily and micro-managed, one cannot expect a good product. There is no Change Management too so a project is in chaos after it has launched. COO used to be a programmer and claims to be agile, but he has no clue what true agile is. If he wants a project done, he will "assume" it is simple and will let everybody know it's a "simple change", and when IS cannot get the project done in time, it is IS' fault. Scrum and stand-up to him is people listening to him talk for more than 15 minutes. He mis-informs people, maybe he thinks it will be good for the morale, like when the company received a notice of delisting from NASDAQ, he claimed it was the CEO who filed for the delisting himself because CEO wanted to go private. The projects that he has managed are supposed to make money, however, it is actually costing the company more money to implement. The instructors get more income from his projects, but no sales leads coming into the company. Resources are used up to support these projects, in the meantime, everyone else is suffering from technical debt in systems and processes because there is no time to focus on fixing what is currently, painfully, broken.

Advice to Management

COO, please step down. You have tried to take over IS, PD, Operations, maybe HR and Onsite Sales too. But so far, all your projects have not proven to be successful. Please stop blaming everyone else, except yourself. The sooner you realize you are part of the problem, and make an honorable decision to correct it, the sooner the company can get back on the right track. You are a good instructor.

Adding to Sad Sad Sad Tears

I have been working at Learning Tree full-time

Pros

The employees at Learning Tree continue to focus on top-quality courses and experience for our attendees despite terrible leadership from the CEO, President, and COO.

Cons

Learning Tree used to embrace the dedication of hard-working individuals and recognize contributions from employees at all levels. Since the management change three years ago, employee morale has steadily declined as the three aforementioned individuals have demonstrated their lack of concern for employee well-being.

Advice to Management

The previous post (Sad Sad Sad Tears) is spot-on with one exception. It is unfortunate that the CIO was included in the post at all. The CIO is the one C-level executive that carries himself in a way that's commensurate with the title. Amidst the dysfunction of the other senior leadership, he remains professional, accountable and productive in moving this company forward.

Not family friendly

I worked at Learning Tree

Pros

Got exposure to an international public company

Cons

Not a very family friendly work environment; too rigid.

Company is on the Right Track to Failure

I have been working at Learning Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees work well together as long as the CEO is not involved. However, many good employees have left or are planning to leave. They offer free Learning Tree courses for their employees, but I've taken some courses that were really bad and not worth the time. They have K-Cup coffee, which is delicious.

Cons

The company is going downhill and a lot of it has to do with upper management. Mostly, it's the CEO who micromanages, doesn't trust the people he hires, curses and yells at his employees, takes naps in his office, doesn't remember what he said last week, thinks a 3 month project takes 2 days, and more. How can you manage a company if you don't trust the people you hire? Why hire a designer if you are going to mark up your own designs (that don't even follow best practices) and command everyone to follow your design to a T? There has been situations where we are told to do something completely opposite of what we were told a few weeks ago, because the CEO wanted it that way and forgot he wanted it another way before. He also trusts the wrong people, so the company is constantly focusing on things that don't improve our business and just increases their expenses. Upper management avoids him and each other, so real problems are not taken care of. It's a culture of fear and avoidance because nobody wants to deal with the CEO. As a result, innovation is non existent since nobody dares bring up any new ideas, or put any effort in the ideas they bring forth. (That's the classic example of killing innovation due to bad leadership). People are constantly leaving or getting fired for no good reason. Pretty much if you are an employee there, you are expendable. It doesn't matter if you worked there for many years, been doing a good job, and have been working long hours. I think that is why a lot of people have already left and are looking for new jobs. Anyways, the company is loosing a lot of money and is on track of being delisted on NASDAQ. Must be sad for the CEO/Founder that after 40 years his baby will probably be a complete failure, and it's probably because of him. The company was still doing well before he decided to proclaim himself as CEO a few years ago. He writes in email chains that he believes in the "truth", but it's ironic how blinded he is by his own personality. "Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth." That's just my opinion... Employee moral is at an all time low. Many people are working really hard without any recognition. (The CEO and his family own most of the company, so he can pretty much do whatever he wants at this point. Otherwise, he'd probably be voted out already).

Advice to Management

Sell the business while you still can or find a better leader for the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed