Learning Tree

Add Photos

David C. Collins

Great Employer, Flexible Work/Life Balance, Excellent Managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsI was at Learning Tree working in the Marketing Department for a year and a half and have nothing but good things to say about the company. It surprises me to see some of the negative reviews as my personal experience was completely opposite.

I was given autonomy in my role and was never shot down for my opinion on making my role better or suggesting something to innovate new processes or techniques. I bring this particular point up because I've come from a range of employers in the past - from Fortune 500s to small sized companies. One of the most frustrating aspects of my prior roles was that I was often stuck inside of a process with little room to think creatively or express my opinion on a particular business objective. This was not the case at Learning Tree, which was incredibly important to me.

On top of this, the people at Learning Tree are nothing short of bright, talented, and all around good folks. My managers were mentors, leaders and friends. Those who I worked with, both directly and indirectly, were always smiling and pleasant to be around. Personally, one of my favorite parts at working there was that each person was good at his or her role. Unlike many companies I've worked for in the past, there is little overlap in roles and responsibilities at Learning Tree, making every employee's job important and part of the greater success of the company.

Learning Tree is also an excellent play - naturally - to learn and expand your personal expertise given their library of courses taught to the public. Even better, employees are allowed to take the classes free of charge, motivating you to enhance your skill set. Also, the company is supportive of your personal education goals - whether it is Grad School or professional development outside of Learning Tree courses.

I was very happy during my time at Learning Tree.

ConsThere was often some delay between marketing projects and end execution. But, this was expected given the nature of workflow within the office.

Hell-hole of a place to work

Support Technician (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsGreat coworkers!! Throughout all the B.S I endured with this job the only positive thing that came out of it was a great relationship with my coworkers. The benefits we great! Medical and dental and we pretty good also tuition reimbursement and free course.

ConsMicromanagement to the MAX!! (pun intended). Ive never worked for a company that could care less about their employees as this one. No regard for personal work life balance. Compensation was average however I worked there for a year and a half and never got a raise. Ceo fires middle management and expects everyone else to pick up their slack without a pay increase or job advancement, instead they give them more work! There is no good work morale in this company, especially in the Anyware Team.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut your employees some slack! Its already bad enough you took away the perks (snacks, and bagels) but you lay off half the company and expect the rest of the employees to pick up their slack, without a pay increase. Dont overwork your employees and expect them to put 100% effort each day with very little encouragement or gratitude from management.

Former instructor - love the company

Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsWell written courses, good schedulers, fun locations (mostly), good travel policies (nice hotels, not too skimpy on flights). Nice people to work with. Sometimes the locations of an onsite aren't ideal but it is what it is - you have to go where the customers are so that's really no fault of the schedulers.

ConsTravel + setup days are effectively "no pay". Sometimes the salepeople would ask too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much - I enjoyed my time (more than 6 years)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The ship is sinking and they will throw you overboard

ProsYou can collect a pay check and as long as you do as told you can survive.

ConsSenior management has lost touch with the reality and is trying to recreate success form the 1990. Culture is very bad no real vision or trust always have to be on guard and never disagree with the CEO or President as that will lead to you quickly leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have driven the company to its lowest revenue level in 25 years . You should have sold it when you had the change 5 years ago.

Micromanagement, poor environment, lack of cohesiveness between departments

Marketing (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsMost coworkers are great people with great work ethics.

ConsUpper management micromanages
    The building is essentially a warehouse and AC rarely works
    No one is happy

Dysfunctional leadership; dedicated employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great! Many have been with the company for over 10 years and they are the heart and soul of the company.

Pay is fairly good.

ConsThere is absolutely no long-term plan. Every week some new hare-brained scheme is forced onto the company without any due diligence or regard for the current work schedule.

There are no career paths, nor is this a company-promoted concept. If you want to advance, you'll have to do your own planning and be your own advocate.

There is no inter-departmental communication. This often leads to LOTS of last-minute work because one group (SALES) forgot to consider the effect their project was going to have on another group (IT).

Work perks keep getting taken away - bagels, cookies, etc.

Advice to Senior Management#1 Develop a plan and stick to it. Changing course every 1-2 weeks is very disruptive and makes you look unqualified to lead a company.

#2 Stop micromanaging! The CEO and President display zero trust in their senior management.

#3 Develop and promote your employees. OMG, did I really have to explain that. :-(

Corruption

ProsWork life balanced; very good education courses

ConsPromotions depend not on your skills and experience but how close you are to the management

A great company, who makes employees feel like family.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed the culture, where departments work together as a team. Company interested in developing employees, offering courses and opportunities for skill growth.

ConsSalary increases did not always match the other positive qualities of this organization. They often lose good talent, because they do not compensate employees at the level they deserve.

Good working environment

ProsFriendly co-workers and good benefits. Company is close the whole week of Christmas break. Very flexible with work hours. Ability to take classes to improve your personal skills.

ConsOffice never closes even on extreme weather conditions. Work deadlines can sometimes be stressful. Employee benefits are slowly degrading.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on thinking ways to improve employee morale

Sales Manager

Sales Management (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsVery good product
    Instructors are excellent
    Sales Support structure excellent
    Product management has good quality control

ConsGood Old Boy Network of Leadership
    Founders looking for a buyer so always reducing expenses
    Cultural environment not conducive to creative thinkers
    Very metric oriented
    Uses out-dated CRM technology

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage the thought leadership of your creative personnel. Employees not comfortable in sharing perspective since management want "yes-men".

Worked for Learning Tree? Contribute to the Community!