Learning.com

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
3.1

Keith Oelrich

Enthusiastic and happy people with great solutions to to prepare students for a digital world.

Current Contractor - Reseller
    Current Contractor - Reseller

I have been working at Learning.com as a contractor

Pros

As a new reseller I was overwhelmed by the genuine enthusiasm, kindness, willingness to help comradery, excitement, love of what they do, love of the products and real happiness I saw from each and every learning.com person I met at the sales conference. It made me want to move to Portland and work in the corporate office.
    I was stunned by the number of emails I received even before I got back home with all the material and information promised and more. I had heard from almost every person at learning.com already (employees as well as other outside resellers) with an overwhelming amount of helpful information.

Each night I wrote down the first 5 words or phrases, that described how I felt about the day that popped into my head. (I read about doing this in a book a few years ago. It was something to do during an interview process but I thought I would try it). I actually wrote more than five and I didn't look back at them until on the plane headed home. I smiled the whole time I read them. There was not one negative word or even hint of anything negative and there were 2 words that I wrote every day: enthusiasm and happy.

I am so very thankful for the opportunity to work with such a wonderful company and the opportunity to sell such a wonderful product. I am really looking forward to 2015.

Cons

I have experienced no cons at this time.

Genuine desire to see students succeed overshadowed by office politics and personal agendas

I have been working at Learning.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Front-line employees genuinely passionate about student success. Great colleagues and innovative products. Work hard, play harder mentality. An amazing HR team – supportive, creative, fun! Decent salaries & benefits, including fresh fruit every week & $.25 vending machines.

Cons

Massive technical debt. More focused on expanding product line than on stabilizing what’s currently available. Most employees work 50-60 hour weeks. Sales folks rule and some have reputations for bullying. Tend to hire out of convenience & not best fit. Unrealistic management expectations and out-of-sync priorities set employees up for failure – missing deadlines, conflicting focus/direction. Decision makers are out-of-touch with customer needs. CEO has lined the exec team with close, personal friends.

Put customers first by stabilizing the platform and engaging stakeholders in conversations about product improvements. Stop pretending that we excel at collaboration & teamwork – we’re still incredibly siloed. Would love the see the CEO & VPs demo core products.

Good mission, good people but a lot of challenges

Former Employee - Development in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Development in Portland, OR

I worked at Learning.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can work on products that help students, from a nice-ish office, with committed peers and genuinely good people.

Cons

A lot of turnover in development stemming from leadership that has no background in technology and seems to think of developers as a fungible commodity rather then the engine behind their products/revenue.

Listen to your developers

Outstanding - great culture, mission driven employees. Customers (K - 12 education) care about making a difference!

I worked at Learning.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional, caring employees, great location near Jenn Weld park. Flexible work hours. Generous education benefits and opportunities for advancement

Cons

Industry (K - 12 education) is a slow selling process, growth very dependent on government funding.

Continue to support the employees, customer, culture.

People with heart and commitment attempting to make the best of a murky situation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Smart people doing good work we can stand behind
    2. Good work/life balance, decent salaries for the market
    3. Gradually improving, coming "out of the woods" and seeing signs of positive market growth
    4. Great office location convenient to transit, food, etc.

Cons

1. Unclear vision for next year and beyond
    2. Leadership seems secretive
    3. Culture hurt by high turnover in past 2-3 years, trust amongst the staff diminishing
    4. Huge legacy technical debt that is eating up valuable developer time.

Strive to be more open and inclusive with staff. Be more ambitious in upgrading the product lines that have served us well over the years.

Putting out fires all day every day

I worked at Learning.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Colleagues were nice and willing to help when needed. Location next to transit and Jeld-Wen Stadium. No shortage of coffee nearby. Some fresh fruit delivered weekly.

Cons

Very poor focus and lethargic execution at best. There exists a culture of "not my job" and processes/procedures put in place because management does not trust the employees. Most everyone wants to do the right thing but departments are highly siloed and it takes a lot of effort just to do things partially ok.

If you let sales decide what kind of company to be you will find yourself in the same hole you just were: a catalog of products that don't sell. Stick to your guns, get the right people, adapt when you need to and don't look back. You are your own worst enemy.

Long in the tooth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Learning.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A genuine desire to improve the experience of education drives most new projects

Cons

Expectation of lots of extra hours from developers.
    Massive technical debt.
    Over-investment in the standardized test business, a dismal industry if ever there was one.
    Few projects go out with anything like a complete feature set.
    Business Development often overwhelms Development: partnerships are launched without the ability to support them and deliver value.
    Little or no development path for employees.
    Reliance on outside hires for even low-level management.
    Unresponsive HR department.
    Senior Management seems coated with teflon: a dozen failed initiatives are no barrier to promotion.

Find where Learning.com can geniunely compete with larger competitors. This is probably not through partnering with every content provider on earth.
    Decide if you want to sell content or software.

Constant changes, clueless leadership and no money

I worked at Learning.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers are the best.

Cons

Lack of communication
    Constant change in leadership
    Bullying from sales team
    Tattletale work environment

Communicate with all teams/members. Stop playing favorites

Friendly people and nice location, but my actual job was just alright.

I worked at Learning.com

Pros

Some very friendly and smart people work here. Great location for an office, next to public transit and right on the edge of downtown. I was able to have lunch at a pretty grand variety of places.

Cons

My work could have been more interesting and purposeful. I also wanted more guidance and feedback about how I was doing. I felt like I wasn't challenged much to improve or to try harder.

Very unorganized, lack of communication and low on money

I have been working at Learning.com full-time

Pros

Easy work. Loved the actual job and the customers

Cons

Sales blames everyone else for their problems. 1 man run HR department. Tattletale work environment. Workplace bullying is very abundant.

Address issues immediately... HR ignores problems... Connect with every department in the company prior to making changes.