Learning.com

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Keith Oelrich

People with heart and commitment attempting to make the best of a murky situation.

(Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros1. Smart people doing good work we can stand behind
    2. Good work/life balance, decent salaries for the market
    3. Gradually improving, coming "out of the woods" and seeing signs of positive market growth
    4. Great office location convenient to transit, food, etc.

Cons1. Unclear vision for next year and beyond
    2. Leadership seems secretive
    3. Culture hurt by high turnover in past 2-3 years, trust amongst the staff diminishing
    4. Huge legacy technical debt that is eating up valuable developer time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to be more open and inclusive with staff. Be more ambitious in upgrading the product lines that have served us well over the years.

A company in a death spiral of outsourcing

Development Department (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe people I work with are amazing and there is a very unique culture that is championed by Vicki, the head of HR. The only regret I will have when I finally leave this once good company for a better job is the people.

ConsThe senior leadership is on a blatant mission to outsource the entire technology to a company in India that just happens to be owned by one of the board members. Keith Oelrich has brought in friend after friend to the leadership team and has taken cronyism to a WHOLE new level.

Great people and leaders in the company are leaving in waves and it is driving morale into the ground. These people are not being replaced and they are being outsourced to India. The CTO cannot deal with any conflict so he is nothing but a yes man to Oelrich. The entire intellectual property and technology mindshare is being outsourced to India. There is zero innovation and the workforce has completely given up and they are all just getting paid to look for a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit telling lie after lie after lie to the employees and just admit that you intend to sell the company off in parts to line the pockets of the board members and yourselves.

Long in the tooth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsA genuine desire to improve the experience of education drives most new projects

ConsExpectation of lots of extra hours from developers.
    Massive technical debt.
    Over-investment in the standardized test business, a dismal industry if ever there was one.
    Few projects go out with anything like a complete feature set.
    Business Development often overwhelms Development: partnerships are launched without the ability to support them and deliver value.
    Little or no development path for employees.
    Reliance on outside hires for even low-level management.
    Unresponsive HR department.
    Senior Management seems coated with teflon: a dozen failed initiatives are no barrier to promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind where Learning.com can geniunely compete with larger competitors. This is probably not through partnering with every content provider on earth.
    Decide if you want to sell content or software.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Putting out fires all day every day

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues were nice and willing to help when needed. Location next to transit and Jeld-Wen Stadium. No shortage of coffee nearby. Some fresh fruit delivered weekly.

ConsVery poor focus and lethargic execution at best. There exists a culture of "not my job" and processes/procedures put in place because management does not trust the employees. Most everyone wants to do the right thing but departments are highly siloed and it takes a lot of effort just to do things partially ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you let sales decide what kind of company to be you will find yourself in the same hole you just were: a catalog of products that don't sell. Stick to your guns, get the right people, adapt when you need to and don't look back. You are your own worst enemy.

Constant changes, clueless leadership and no money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers are the best.

ConsLack of communication
    Constant change in leadership
    Bullying from sales team
    Tattletale work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with all teams/members. Stop playing favorites

Friendly people and nice location, but my actual job was just alright.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome very friendly and smart people work here. Great location for an office, next to public transit and right on the edge of downtown. I was able to have lunch at a pretty grand variety of places.

ConsMy work could have been more interesting and purposeful. I also wanted more guidance and feedback about how I was doing. I felt like I wasn't challenged much to improve or to try harder.

Very unorganized, lack of communication and low on money

ProsEasy work. Loved the actual job and the customers

ConsSales blames everyone else for their problems. 1 man run HR department. Tattletale work environment. Workplace bullying is very abundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress issues immediately... HR ignores problems... Connect with every department in the company prior to making changes.

Challenging in the worst of ways due to personality driven leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsColleagues and customers were great. The location was great. Vision is interesting and worth pursuing. Physical work environment is creative and engaging.

ConsPoor leadership at the top, shifting strategies, poor communication, no performance-based pay, stock options, et al. Limited benefits. Need to focus on basic business functions and competent execution as the basis for achieving a grand vision - not an impediment. Need to listen to people at all levels. Need to understand that asking questions, raising issues, identifying concerns IS supporting the business if it's done in an effort to ensure success - it's not an automatic sign of disloyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementEat some humble pie and realize that you don't succeed without others in your corner. And they won't get in your corner simply because you tell them to.

One of the best places to work

Director, Human Resources and Facilities (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMaking a difference in the life of a child.

ConsNo 1-3 Year Strategic Plan

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop 1-3 year Strategic Plan and communicate to employees

Great company but still room to improve

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe company has a casual environment and is great at supporting employee's work/life balance. The people are great and it's remarkably lacking office politics. The company is mission-oriented and unlike many companies serving the K-12 market, it really does want to build products and deliver services that make a difference. The company is responsive to market conditions, and provides strong support for the sales team. While the company has the usual problems of an aggressive schedule and competing demands, there is a constant effort to balance market demand/opportunity against available resources. There is also a strong commitment to staff development.

ConsMixed review of top management, shifting strategy - too opportunistic, sr management talks more than it listens. Company is becoming more professional in business practices but still has many areas where it needs to clarify who owns what.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, realize your staff knows more about their jobs then you do, stop tooting your own horn.

Worked for Learning.com? Contribute to the Community!