Lee Enterprises

www.lee.net

Lee Enterprises Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Lee Enterprises – Davenport – “Lee Enterprises Corporate Office”

Lee Enterprises – Davenport – “Lee Enterprises Corporate Office”

Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck

Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Good entry-level position for the sales and reporting fields; you are basically thrown into the fire, which is actually a good way to learn your job (in 4 reviews)

• There are a lot of good people throughout the company who work hard and care about producing great work every day (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises or incentives for production, only sales (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay, even for an industry known for (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales people are going to sell you a boring job

Advertising Assistant (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe other workers. Not much to do.

ConsFrequent changes, no direction. The paper industry is whithering.

not a bad place to work if you don't need money.

Packaging (Current Employee) Missoula, MT

ProsEasy work,
    night hours,
    ummm..... with in walking distance of a gas station...

Consno set schedule (pro or con depending what your looking for)
    split shift(6:30-9:30 back at 11:00-2:30)
    some days you only work 3 hours(with some help from packaging supervisors other wise there would be days you only receive 1.5) keep in mind you get 4 hours pay for calling in sick.
    there has been a pay freeze since 2010
    upper management is always looking for ways to cut hours in our department even though we are already coming away with 20-25 hour weeks
    even with the limited hours still manages to b 5-6 days a week due to upper management not letting supervisors hire more people
    out dated equipment
    unwilling to work around your schedule (cant get another job, go to college, plan much out side of the week)

Advice to Senior Managementthe publisher told during the one and only time the packaging department got to talk with him that we were like keebler elves magically making the paper happen every night kinda out of sight out of mind. I wish they cared about there employees more

Very disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent co-workers to start with, but the company culture creates animosity.

ConsMicromanagement, uncertain work environment due to many layoffs and zero team loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an incredible amount of useless paperwork and duplicate forms. Value your employees ad they will produce better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual environment with generally friendly co-workers overall. Lots of promises of improvement to come but lack of execution. Not much else was positive.

ConsThere was lack of training and management seemed annoyed anytime people tried to talk to them. There also does not seem to be much room for advancement. The atmosphere is very childlike with people clearly on rather long personal phone calls.

Salary means overworked and underpa

District Manager (Current Employee) Munster, IN

ProsNone, company doesn't see people only dollar signs

ConsManagement can fire people at will

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the little people who got you where you are

Learning a lot, but times are very uncertain

ProsGood entry-level position for the sales and reporting fields; you are basically thrown into the fire, which is actually a good way to learn your job.

ConsNo raises, medical insurance is not good, management doesn't communicate with each other. Constant layoffs makes you wonder if you're next.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication with each other and keep the employees in mind re: stress and giving them too much work.

Grueling micromanagers, climate of fear prevails.

Editor (Former Employee)

ProsComplete resume job. Work here and move on as soon as you have a few months under your belt. You'll be worked to death, paid the industry minimum but you will get plenty of experience.

ConsCorporate constantly imposing ludicrous and sometimes inexplicable tasks. Management expects long hours for little compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they are worth.

They try to wring too much out of too little staff.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Munster, IN

ProsThey are always hiring, so it's pretty easy to get in the door. I enjoyed the variety of people and conversations I had had throughout the work day. You could make bonus money based on your ability to upsell and collect on delinquent accounts. It offers part-time positions above minimum wage, which can be hard to find. It also offers various start/end times.

ConsYou are expected to be accepting calls at all times. If you put your phone in not-ready for any reason, even to go to the bathroom, you were timed to the second. It was very lonely because you got in trouble if you stopped taking calls to have even a brief conversation with a coworker. Expected to memorize massive amounts of information that was unrealistic, especially at that pay level. If you are full time salary - they will work you to death with no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave employee groups that specialized in a few newspapers or a geographic area, rather than having everyone cover all 15 newspapers, in 9 states, and 3 time zones. It's too much information for employees to handle well.

Newsprint is almost part of the past...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosbenefits, great group of people to work with

Consuncertainty of job, average salary, no room for advancement in career

Toxic and abusive environment (Townnews.com only)

Programmer (Former Employee) Moline, IL

ProsI met a few cool people and I did manage to learn quite a few new skill.

ConsI don't think my boss ever said one thing to me that wasn't condescending. It was incredibly frustrating to work as hard as you can every day and be confronted with nothing but insults and harassment. There was a clique of management and a few select employees that were their friends that would harass, berate and behave totally unprofessionally. Management knows of the environment but it's being done by friends and family of a VP and they are totally protected.

I should have left earlier. I stayed too long and wound up just walking out.

Also, compensation is very low. Townnews.com is tied to the newspaper industry and isn't able to provide competitive pay in the technology sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe office culture is too far gone. I couldn't even begin to fix their problem. Multiple people need to be replaced. I don't think their attitudes can be changed at this point.

Worked for Lee Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!