Lee Enterprises

Updated February 16, 2015
2.6

Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck
Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Good entry-level position for the sales and reporting fields; you are basically thrown into the fire, which is actually a good way to learn your job (in 4 reviews)

• There are a lot of good people throughout the company who work hard and care about producing great work every day (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises or incentives for production, only sales (in 6 reviews)

• uncertainty of job, average salary, no room for advancement in career (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

High performance

I worked at Lee Enterprises

Pros

Lots of training and development

Cons

Publicly held company, high pressure

Keep employees engaged in a personal manner

Focused on the wrong things

Current Employee - Controller in Lihue, HI
    Current Employee - Controller in Lihue, HI

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent salaries in certain areas for managers. Some growth opportunities in certain departments. Some opportunities to receive additional training for managers.

Cons

Deep expense cuts and layoffs while higher-ups get bonuses. Poor and outdated software systems. Certain managers are hired for the wrong reasons. Employee complaints are not taken seriously enough.

Lead by example. If you are asking your employees to cut expenses, don't give yourself a bonus, no matter how hard you are working.

Delivered Papers and Thrifty Nickels as Independent Contractor

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Davenport, IA
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Davenport, IA

I worked at Lee Enterprises as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy my customers and deliverying papers

Cons

only made 11 cents for daily and Saturday paper and 30 cents a paper on Sunday. My entire paycheck was under 650.00 per month minus 200.00 for gas. So I was making well under minimum wage.

The expense to customers for the newspaper for monthly subscriptions and vending price is $1.00 per newspaper daily and $2.00 on Sunday. Even though the increased the price of the newspaper for customers they never raised the carriers wages never increased, the carriers for Lee enterprises have not raised the carriers wages in over a decade even with the inflation of gas and oil making it hard to keep even quality carriers who get up every day 7 days a week in every type of weather to work for pennies for their company now this is what I call loyalty is any carrier who stays past a year for that type of wage.

A good place to work

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people who genuinely care about the product being offered.

Cons

Tough industry fighting to stay viable.

Great people/culture, challenging industry

Former Employee - Subscription Sales
    Former Employee - Subscription Sales

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Reasonable, trusting people. Interesting industry/company. Definitely has and executes on a core competency. I had great experiences w/everyone, even HR. A very nice place to work.

Cons

Jobs are scarce and require travel throughout the properties. Pay is low just due to industry.

Behind on technology and communication

I have been working at Lee Enterprises

Pros

Steady schedule, benefits, decent pay. After working an ever changing work schedule, it was nice to switch to an 8-5 job. I enjoy the set schedule and ability to know when I work next. The benefits are pretty normal for a job like this. Nothing great, but it's better than nothing!

Cons

Way behind on the technology offered for creating and booking advertisements. The system runs so slow and makes life a lot harder than it should be. There is a lack of communication from the top to the bottom. The bottom is the last to know everything and they are the one's who have to deal with the public. It makes them look bad when they are not informed of changes or problems. There is no moving up so you are pretty much stuck where you get hired.

Communicate with your people. Actually follow through with changes implemented.

Loved being a reporter, hated being owned by a corporation.

Former Employee - Reporter
    Former Employee - Reporter

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, great community, always fascinating and rewarding work.

Cons

No raises while Mary Junck rakes it in.

Have some human feeling for the slaves. Now I hear that the masters will be outsourcing pagination, as if the paper's reputation in the community needed to fall any further.

Nice benefits. Very little training

Current Employee - Ad Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Ad Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Local paper, corporate benefits

Cons

Very little training, limited sales tools available

Offer sales training.

Classified ad sales

Current Employee - Inside Classified Sales in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Inside Classified Sales in Albany, OR

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

loved the people I worked with
    Allowed me to voice my opinions and complaints without ramifications

Cons

Poor pay, inadequate phone system, inadequate computer program for taking classified advertising. It was new, but slow and wasn't designed by people that knew anything about advertising. Getting this system was like taking 3 giant steps backwards. Nobody in management seemed to care.

If you want to attract good employees you need to pay them better and treat them better. You need to have an understanding what each job entails and make sure that the equipment you provide is the best in its' field. Not some 1/2 baked piece of "work"

Disorganized Mess

Current Employee - Customer Care Center Representative in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Care Center Representative in Munster, IN

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are nice. Relaxed work environment and supervisors are easy to approach (usually).

Cons

Training is minimal. You will end up answering calls for around 18 different newspapers, all of which have different redelivery cut off times throughout the day, dispatching procedures, and other specific factors. You learn as you go, and it can be a complicated job. Supervisors are usually helpful, but ask too many questions and they'll talk about you behind your back or complain that you aren't getting it even though they've told you how to do something "a thousand times". $9.50 an hour is not worth it. On top of the confusion, you get screamed at by customers in, on average, about 70-90 calls per operator per day. Supervisors also don't like talking to irate customers, one of them is actually afraid of confrontation and gets angry at everyone when asked to call someone back, which often leaves the responsibility on you to call them back when you already have a boatload of other calls coming in and other requests to follow up on. At times, the emails you send for them to look into get responses back that don't even make sense - it's like they don't even read them half the time. It's one big disorganized lazy mess - and you get taxed to death on your already meager paycheck for it. You can get incentives too from certain things like saving customers from cancelling their subscription by discounting their price. Usually around $1.00-$3.00 each, but it's in your best interest to keep track of all the incentives you got because even if you send it in on the form you're supposed to send it in on, they may not honor it. They refuse to give raises and won't promote. They recently got rid of two people who had been working for over 20 years there due to "position elimination", both of which they filled with younger employees days after. This company really doesn't know if it's coming or going. Also the people in production that print the Northwest Indiana Times newspaper everyday working 12 hour shifts only make $7.50/hr. Most unappreciated, hardest workers. I really have very little positive to say. The CEO also gives herself bonuses and this was a contributing factor to layoffs in the past year. Needless to say I am seeking a new position as soon as possible.

Stop taking bonuses you don't deserve from a starving company. You won't lose your job, but we will. Also, if you don't like confrontation, get the hell Out of customer service call centers entirely.

Lee Enterprises Photos