Lee Enterprises

www.lee.net

Lee Enterprises Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Lee Enterprises – Davenport – “Lee Enterprises Corporate Office”

Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck

Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Good entry-level position for the sales and reporting fields; you are basically thrown into the fire, which is actually a good way to learn your job(in 4 reviews)

• There are a lot of good people throughout the company who work hard and care about producing great work every day(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises or incentives for production, only sales(in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay, even for an industry known for(in 4 reviews)

Sales people are going to sell you a boring job

Advertising Assistant (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe other workers. Not much to do.

ConsFrequent changes, no direction. The paper industry is whithering.

Very disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent co-workers to start with, but the company culture creates animosity.

ConsMicromanagement, uncertain work environment due to many layoffs and zero team loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an incredible amount of useless paperwork and duplicate forms. Value your employees ad they will produce better.

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual environment with generally friendly co-workers overall. Lots of promises of improvement to come but lack of execution. Not much else was positive.

ConsThere was lack of training and management seemed annoyed anytime people tried to talk to them. There also does not seem to be much room for advancement. The atmosphere is very childlike with people clearly on rather long personal phone calls.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salary means overworked and underpa

District Manager (Current Employee) Munster, IN

ProsNone, company doesn't see people only dollar signs

ConsManagement can fire people at will

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the little people who got you where you are

Learning a lot, but times are very uncertain

ProsGood entry-level position for the sales and reporting fields; you are basically thrown into the fire, which is actually a good way to learn your job.

ConsNo raises, medical insurance is not good, management doesn't communicate with each other. Constant layoffs makes you wonder if you're next.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication with each other and keep the employees in mind re: stress and giving them too much work.

Newsprint is almost part of the past...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosbenefits, great group of people to work with

Consuncertainty of job, average salary, no room for advancement in career

Grueling micromanagers, climate of fear prevails.

Editor (Former Employee)

ProsComplete resume job. Work here and move on as soon as you have a few months under your belt. You'll be worked to death, paid the industry minimum but you will get plenty of experience.

ConsCorporate constantly imposing ludicrous and sometimes inexplicable tasks. Management expects long hours for little compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they are worth.

They try to wring too much out of too little staff.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Munster, IN

ProsThey are always hiring, so it's pretty easy to get in the door. I enjoyed the variety of people and conversations I had had throughout the work day. You could make bonus money based on your ability to upsell and collect on delinquent accounts. It offers part-time positions above minimum wage, which can be hard to find. It also offers various start/end times.

ConsYou are expected to be accepting calls at all times. If you put your phone in not-ready for any reason, even to go to the bathroom, you were timed to the second. It was very lonely because you got in trouble if you stopped taking calls to have even a brief conversation with a coworker. Expected to memorize massive amounts of information that was unrealistic, especially at that pay level. If you are full time salary - they will work you to death with no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave employee groups that specialized in a few newspapers or a geographic area, rather than having everyone cover all 15 newspapers, in 9 states, and 3 time zones. It's too much information for employees to handle well.

Always cutting

ProsPeople are committed to journalism and are great to work with.

ConsConstant focus on layoffs and wage freezes.

Great Environment and Helpful People

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Munster, IN

ProsStrong training helps you learn the ropes Helpful supervisors are there if you need any questions answered. Any information about the multiple newspapers is available on the computer, so memorizing isn't a requirement. You can always look up what you need to know. Most employees have been there several years (one for 40!)

ConsCustomers can be very rude and demanding. Hours can be long, and you have to stare at two computer screens your entire shift. It can be uncomfortable after a few hours - like any desk job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! I've felt comfortable since I started, and I believe the networking and communication here is very clear and concise.

Worked for Lee Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!