Lee Enterprises Reviews

Reset
2.3
Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck
Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Great for an entry level sales person, or someone working in a non sales position (in 4 reviews)

• Easygoing work environment, with fairly reasonable deadlines set by management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises for years - pay freeze (in 6 reviews)

• upper management is always looking for ways to cut hours in our department even though we are already coming away with 20-25 hour weeks (in 4 reviews)

LeeLocal Sales - best job in 15 years of sales.

Current Employee - LeeLocal Digital Media Consultant (Sales) in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - LeeLocal Digital Media Consultant (Sales) in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commission. Lots of spiff $$. Monthly giveaways! I have worked in boiler room-type environments in the past and LeeLocal is the FURTHEST from this type of operation that I have ever seen. Sales, Fulfillment and Retention depts have grown significantly in the 17 months I have been here. This Sales job requires a true consultant's mindset and consequently, those who come in expecting to "turn & burn" will NOT thrive. Great product development!

Cons

High turnover with those who cannot "grasp the concepts". Digital is an ever changing environment, those who are too rigid to adapt, cannot think on the fly and who are not willing to problem solve to improve CLIENT's online presence and visiblity will go by the wayside and will not be employed for long with this company (3-4 months to get up to speed). Not a CON in my opinion.

Excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, excellent benefits and top notch leadership. They have created a wonderful environment for success.

Cons

Lee properties tend to be in small market areas.

Advice to Management

Great job.

Exceptional career based company

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Lee Enterprises (More than a year)

Pros

Takes care of their employees on a daily basis. I noticed majority of the negative reviews are coming from past employees. That seems typical. If you come to work and do what you are suppose to do then you will have no worries.

Cons

Still looking. you know your in the right place if you are happy to come to work the next day

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Leader in the industry for making the transition into digital

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time

Pros

Great, hard-working people, company making significant investments in all the right areas, refinancing deal extends runway for further transformation

Cons

Need to continually address perceptions that newspaper industry is dying

6. I had a good experience - many factors can determine if you do, too

Former Employee - Reporter in Central Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Central Valley, CA

I worked at Lee Enterprises

Pros

Good place to start. I had a nice amount of independence and was trusted to do my work well. From what I have heard vaguely from others in the field, Lee is one of the "less evil" companies. The benefits were excellent, even if the salary was low. It was as low-pressure of an atmosphere as you could expect from a newspaper.

Cons

Low pay, a lot of variance depending on what office you worked in. It could really change the way your work-day looked, even if the next office is ten or twenty minutes away. The variables could include what your boss is like, what your coworkers are like, how the office is set up, what geographical area you cover, and if you get on someone's bad side or good side - which would seem to apply at any company. That is meant more as a caveat. Working in a small office means conflicts are more pronounced. The building was kind of old and had rats.

Advice to Management

I didn't know enough about how "senior management" ran things to really give them advice. I had no problems with them, but I didn't see them much on a day-to-day basis. From what I've heard from other people in general (outside the company), not seeing senior management on a day-to-day basis isn't always a bad thing.

Good people trying hard in a tough industry

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Chippewa Falls, WI

I have been working at Lee Enterprises

Pros

The company is full of people who really seem to care about their work - professional journalists. They are dedicated to the idea of spreading news for the good of the community knowledge. Most people truly seem to work hard every day.

Cons

The company doesn't (or can't) offer competitive salary to keep the high talent people they need to turn things around.

Five years at corporate

Former Employee - Director in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Director in Davenport, IA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO. Friendly people. Commitment to quality. Excellent communications.

Cons

Short-sighted middle management. Slow transformation.

Great coworkers, great customer service, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comparable pay for entry level employees, friendly staff, active in the community.

Cons

No raises for years - pay freeze. Working late when sales staff missed deadlines and production staff had to stay after-hours to get everything done. Sales Staff got commission (aka a reward for missing a deadline) production team (graphics, prepress, printing staff, circulation, carriers) got longer hours with no reward. No overtime. No employee incentive program, little to no training program for new employees, slow on equipment upgrades. High turnover rate, especially in circulation, sales staff and carriers.

Advice to Management

Employee incentives for all staff, not just sales team. Manager training.

The people who work here care

Current Employee - Reporter in Longview, WA
    Current Employee - Reporter in Longview, WA

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong community ties, loyal readership, commitment to accuracy, wins awards every year, and the staff cares about their work and each other. Good health benefits & 401K.

Cons

Not everyone who leaves is replaced, and those who are replaced aren't replaced very quickly. No raises in years.

Advice to Management

Raises would lift morale and make it easier to hire quality staff that will stay longer. Hire an assistant city editor.

Great Environment and Helpful People

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Munster, IN

I have been working at Lee Enterprises part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong training helps you learn the ropes Helpful supervisors are there if you need any questions answered. Any information about the multiple newspapers is available on the computer, so memorizing isn't a requirement. You can always look up what you need to know. Most employees have been there several years (one for 40!)

Cons

Customers can be very rude and demanding. Hours can be long, and you have to stare at two computer screens your entire shift. It can be uncomfortable after a few hours - like any desk job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I've felt comfortable since I started, and I believe the networking and communication here is very clear and concise.

RSS Feed </> Embed