Lee Enterprises

www.lee.net

Lee Enterprises Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Lee Enterprises – Davenport – “Lee Enterprises Corporate Office”

Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck

Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Good entry-level position for the sales and reporting fields; you are basically thrown into the fire, which is actually a good way to learn your job(in 4 reviews)

• There are a lot of good people throughout the company who work hard and care about producing great work every day(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises or incentives for production, only sales(in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay, even for an industry known for(in 4 reviews)

Very disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent co-workers to start with, but the company culture creates animosity.

ConsMicromanagement, uncertain work environment due to many layoffs and zero team loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an incredible amount of useless paperwork and duplicate forms. Value your employees ad they will produce better.

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual environment with generally friendly co-workers overall. Lots of promises of improvement to come but lack of execution. Not much else was positive.

ConsThere was lack of training and management seemed annoyed anytime people tried to talk to them. There also does not seem to be much room for advancement. The atmosphere is very childlike with people clearly on rather long personal phone calls.

Toxic and abusive environment (Townnews.com only)

Programmer (Former Employee) Moline, IL

ProsI met a few cool people and I did manage to learn quite a few new skill.

ConsI don't think my boss ever said one thing to me that wasn't condescending. It was incredibly frustrating to work as hard as you can every day and be confronted with nothing but insults and harassment. There was a clique of management and a few select employees that were their friends that would harass, berate and behave totally unprofessionally. Management knows of the environment but it's being done by friends and family of a VP and they are totally protected.

I should have left earlier. I stayed too long and wound up just walking out.

Also, compensation is very low. Townnews.com is tied to the newspaper industry and isn't able to provide competitive pay in the technology sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe office culture is too far gone. I couldn't even begin to fix their problem. Multiple people need to be replaced. I don't think their attitudes can be changed at this point.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Destined for destitution

Does it Matter? All the jobs there suck (Former Employee) Decatur, IL

ProsWhat can I say? I spent three years at the Decatur newspaper working with retail sales, the newsroom, the photographers, marketing, and classified ad department. I guess some of the people were okay. You know - the grunts who actually did the work?

ConsManagement, management, management,...all utterly worthless. Pointing out actual "cons" is an exercise in simply multiplying every employment factor by zero - a simple waste of time to even quantify all the poor aspects of this place of employment. The list of how to improve things with a wrecking ball would be shorter...and more effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit now while you're behind (way behind).

Slowly Sinking Ship

Newsroom (Former Employee) Davenport, IA

ProsGood people working in the trenches.

ConsPoor management in an industry that needs creative ideas in order to survive. Many employees stick it out because they have spouses with good jobs in the community. Unattached employees typically don't stay for more than a couple of years before moving on, especially the most talented ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up the perks you seem to expect, invest more time in day to day activities, and promote from within ( although morale is so bad at this point that it may not matter anymore).

Constant turmoil and downsizing

Manager (Former Employee) Rapid City, SD

ProsA good brand name that opened doors. Every month, the company seems to deteriorate a little more. The best part was that the co-workers realized this was happening and would do what they could to help each other out.

ConsUpper management, cost cutting, no raises. We endured multiple years of no raises for the employees while the president and upper management group mwho were responsible for the decline of this once great company were rewarded with raises and stock grants on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs a new management team and board of directors. The current group has retained their jobs while the stock price decreased 95+%.

Train wreck of a company

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Davenport, IA

Prosgreat benefits, team building, fun group of people to work with, great location, large company so chance for advancement, easy to get to

Conshorrible training process, lots of employee turnover, wrong people in management, a lot of backstabbing going on, corporate levels that dont understand what other levels are doing

Lee Local

Inside Sales Manager (Former Employee) Davenport, IA

ProsFun co-workers make the boiler room telemarketing digital room bearable.

ConsAverage employee lasts 3 months, Telemarketing small business and offering 3 packages that do the same thing for $99-$350 per month. FYI it doesn't cost anything to register for Google. Management only cares about sales on a telemarketing board. Complete boiler room with telemarketing cubes, sweat shop goals and no focus on the future. Management has no past management experience, they got hired on being a favorite. and young. No one over 30 in Lee's digital telemarketing team. most of the people that make the packages all were friends before they were hired. All under 25.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your resume ready

Local Newspaper Reporter - Terrible Place to work

Reporter (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsYou could go out and meet interesting people and there was a fair amount of autonomy in what you did. And it's always fun to see your name in print.

ConsExtremely underpaid and everyone was over-stressed. At a local level there was never anything even remotely interesting to write about. When somthing finally came up it was like the end of the world to the editorial staff -- even little things were urgent and made overly stressful.

Good learning experience, but should have left for greener pastures long before I did.

Photojournalist (Former Employee) Davenport, IA

ProsI got to do the type of work I enjoy and worked with some exceptional people.

ConsLousy hours. I missed a whole lot of family activities and my kids growing up. Very low pay, even for an industry known for low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpend more resources in putting out a quality product. It will lead to better employee moral and your advertisers will be more inclined to use the newspaper to get their message out.

Worked for Lee Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!